SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I started a italian translation of this mod, thanks to Swyter for conversion script to translate it in transifex for faster/easy translation.

First "alpha" build of translation:
http://fantu.eu/warband/warband-v1.160-acok-1.31-trad-it-a1.7z

For details see here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,311747.0.html

Any help to complete/improve it is appreciated.

TarquinGaming said:
StupidAsMe said:
I dont know if it will help but I know you can disable companion complaints in the mod options menu.

Doesn't help, turned it on as I began the gamesave before I got any companions. Out of nowhere one day they started complaining (ie: telling me they were about to leave), and I let several of them go before I found out I could threaten them with death to make them stay. The thing is, I get a dialog box every 12-16 "hours" of gametime where Ser Felton Flowers (the one who is the most angry now) tries to leave. I've got 200,000 gold I'd happily give him to shut him up if it'd shut him up forever. I've had to threaten him 26 times in the last 3 hours of my gameplay (I record, so it's easy to keep track). On any given campaign (I'm with The North at the moment) I have to threaten to kill him 3 or 4 times. My relation with him is already -100 but the dialog box pops up sure as clockwork.

Alternately, if there are any lists of "stable parties" I'd be ecstatic to find them. Have to start a save over once 1.4 drops anyway.

I understand that companions are supposed to simulate characters with their own motivations and dislikes and all, I just despise that aspect of them and want to get rid of it. If I've led them into war for three years, lost only one battle in all that time, always pay them and give them the best armor and weapons and horses, and they still want to go away...it vexes me. I want to be able to invest in companions, not have to madly scramble if my Surgeon decides to make a runner.

So, my relation with Ser Felton Flowers has now totally tanked (-100) and a couple companions get lower in relation to me every time I threaten to kill him. I imagine that eventually they will want to leave too, and I'll have to threaten to kill them repeatedly as well. I feel like after I threaten murder twenty times, I shouldn't need to do it any more.

I feel your pain.
God forbid any of these "soldiers" feel any allegiance or anything lol

I found that the persuasion option seems mildly effective (if you raise your persuasion), and there's only a few major "problematic" companions, those being Felton (he's kind of a little *****), Kanut, and Berengar Parren (in my games).

Interestingly enough, the "lowlife" companions seem pretty content no matter what's going on (Caul, Colin, the-black-guy-whose-name-I-don't-remember..)

reiksmarshal said:
The Wights are one of the best things about this mod, I wish there was more of them and they were tougher. The way I would beat then is I would have 20-30 Myr crossbowmen stay on the hill as a base of fire. I would wait unit they start to come out of the trees and I would send my outriders to charge, mainly just to tie them up at a distance while my archers shoot at them. Finally I would have my shieldwall setup at the bottom of the hill, these would be higher tiered infantry mostly. In the end it is really the Myr crossbows that do the real damage, trying to kill wights in melee is pretty difficult since they have plate armor stats. 

Of course, at this you forget that the wights spawn within 5 second distance of your entire army, and zerg you directly. 50 knights and 40 mixed footmen were shredded by 59 wights with little effort. 33 of the enemy force remained after this slaughter. You should try the fight in earnest before hoping for even more, stronger wights, because we might end up with an impossible quest otherwise.

Stravask said:
I feel your pain.
God forbid any of these "soldiers" feel any allegiance or anything lol

I found that the persuasion option seems mildly effective (if you raise your persuasion), and there's only a few major "problematic" companions, those being Felton (he's kind of a little *****), Kanut, and Berengar Parren (in my games).

Interestingly enough, the "lowlife" companions seem pretty content no matter what's going on (Caul, Colin, the-black-guy-whose-name-I-don't-remember..)

When I load up TweakMB I can get to this point http://i.imgur.com/cNp5EHA.png

But as you can see, I'm not able to select the first box (prevent companions from leaving, or even trying to leave). If it's in TweakMB, that means it's something that should theoretically work in Warband, right? Dunno why TweakMB doesn't support it for the mod, but does anyone know where I can find and change the code?

Alternately, can someone direct me to the place where companion-relation values live in the game registry? I suppose hard-changing the companions relation values with me to 100 should work, since relations of 100 never decrease.

edit: I've narrowed it down, I think, to a change in the scripts.txt file where you search for "2133 2 144115188075856758 0" and change the 0 at the end to a 1
But I need to make a fix in the simple_triggers.txt too, and I can't identify which number string is the droid I'm looking for. It could be one of these:

216172782113786837 1025

And I want to change the 1025 at the end to a 31. Any idea which of these would be correct, if any? Gonna start trial and error on it soon. Hopefully one will work. I'll return with news.

Okay! Disabling companion requests to leave your party entirely update:

1. going into scripts.txt as listed above and replacing all instances of the 2133...0 string with 2133...1,
2. then go into simple_triggers.txt and look for 216172782113786837 1025 (there should only be one instance) and change it to 216172782113786837 31.

I disabled a couple similar strings that I was looking at, I think those were the ones related to companions giving you some backstory "Look there's Aemon's Lot!" and so on, so I'm pretty sure the string I listed is the functional one.

I tested this by gathering all companions with the UI button on character creation with some edited gold in my characters pocket. So, with 20+ companions, I preceded to throw the rest of my money away and not have any food, as well as go up to every lord I came across and accept then return his quest. I waited for 2 months of ingame time without ever feeding my troops or paying them. A few of my companions (Arratos Entarion and Alexos Sand) show up as Miserable with a morale of 0, but have not given me a dialogue about leaving. I think this fix is one that works!

I do not think it will work for an old save, I am going to test that soon but I would assume it would not function. Also I want to emphasize that I know nearly nothing about computers or coding, so it's entirely possible that I made the wrong edits in the scripts.txt file, or too many of them. As always, please make a backup before you edit anything.

UnclePutte said:
Of course, at this you forget that the wights spawn within 5 second distance of your entire army, and zerg you directly. 50 knights and 40 mixed footmen were shredded by 59 wights with little effort. 33 of the enemy force remained after this slaughter. You should try the fight in earnest before hoping for even more, stronger wights, because we might end up with an impossible quest otherwise.

Excuse me? I have fought the wights many times, in fact if you take too strong of an army they will run from you and they are fast. I'm sorry you ****ing suck at the game, but don't judge other players based on your limited skills.   

reiksmarshal said:
UnclePutte said:

Excuse me? I have fought the wights many times, in fact if you take too strong of an army they will run from you and they are fast. I'm sorry you ******** suck at the game, but don't judge other players based on your limited skills. 
How big was your army? What Tactics did you use?
Yes, they will run, but they will still destroy your Elite troops in melee combat.

reiksmarshal said:
UnclePutte said:

Excuse me? I have fought the wights many times, in fact if you take too strong of an army they will run from you and they are fast. I'm sorry you ******** suck at the game, but don't judge other players based on your limited skills. 

Woah there, buddy. Is this really the way you want to take this discussion?

reiksmarshal said:
UnclePutte said:

Excuse me? I have fought the wights many times, in fact if you take too strong of an army they will run from you and they are fast. I'm sorry you ****ing suck at the game, but don't judge other players based on your limited skills. 
No need for swearing. The wights are fine as they are number wise, though they are a tad too strong.  In addition, I don't believe there are circumstances from which the wights run; I've made attempts with nearly three times their number and they never ran from me. In truth one doesn't need so many, they can be taken with far less if you're good with a bow/crossbow and have big ammo reserves - that's why I always bring archers with me.

reiksmarshal said:
The wights are not too strong, you guys are just worthless as tits on a nun at this game.

I think a nun would just pray and realize that long hafted maces are cheap, get some companions with 2h and decent skills or else some Elite Sisterman Retainers and then a bunch of dudes with good shields to cause the melee to come to tangled mess reducing wight damage efficiency, then hang out at the margins getting 1 or 2 shot kills on the wights with the 2 handers. Might even be able to incorporate cavalry charges?

But I am not a nun, so I can't speak for what she'd do.

TarquinGaming said:
I do not think it will work for an old save, I am going to test that soon but I would assume it would not function. Also I want to emphasize that I know nearly nothing about computers or coding, so it's entirely possible that I made the wrong edits in the scripts.txt file, or too many of them. As always, please make a backup before you edit anything.

Thanks for doin' this legwork, helps a lot of us out :razz:

reiksmarshal said:
The wights are not too strong, you guys are just worthless as tits on a nun at this game.

New favorite insult of the day.

reiksmarshal said:

Going out of your way to emulate someone else's caustic behavior just because they are in a position of authority is not a virtue. Frankly, rather than a virtue, it's an appalling display of immaturity. You are still in what is supposed to be a medium for discussion for the improvement of the mod, not insult comedy.

As for the wights, you'll have to explain how exactly you solved the problem. Myrman crossbowmen it certainly was not.

UnclePutte said:
reiksmarshal said:

Going out of your way to emulate someone else's caustic behavior just because they are in a position of authority is not a virtue. Frankly, rather than a virtue, it's an appalling display of immaturity. You are still in what is supposed to be a medium for discussion for the improvement of the mod, not insult comedy.

As for the wights, you'll have to explain how exactly you solved the problem. Myrman crossbowmen it certainly was not.

I gave my strategy higher up in the thread in joke form, but I'll long version it here. Get long hafted maces, Sisterton always sells them (and I don't know if anywhere else does). Get your 2h skill and your companions 2h skill to something reputable, ~200. Get some Elite Sisterton Retainers and then troops with good shields (Unsullied fit this role nicely), also a number of heavy knights (Stormlands are best pound for pound). Put your shield troops in a different tactical group than your shock infantry and companions, set the tactics up before the battle for your shield-bearers to be 10 steps ahead. Then you go to battle. With 2h maces on many of your troops, you're doing the heavy pierce damage that you need to heavily deplete the wight forces before your injuries start mounting up. Your shieldmen will live at least a little while your shock infantry gets kill after kill (since it takes only 1 or 2 shots to kill a wight, depending on your attack speed). You have your cavalry charge (not enough time in the battle to set them up in a flanking maneuver, sadly, as the wights spawn so close)  and while they are being unhorsed and having their shields broken, you continue the onslaught of all the morningstars you brought to battle.

edit: No desire to double post, but I am somewhat interested in a dialog about the equipment sets of various Heavy Knights. I am doing this from memory, so mistakes are plausible though I regret them in advance. I am ignoring the Knights of Dorne because I only recruited them once and was disgusted with their quality.

The Westerosi Heavy Knights all have the same character skill, weapon skill, and level, but differ in 3 main regards: Horses, armor quality, and weapons.

Within weapon sets there is a lot of homogeneity (most heavy knights will have an arming sword and a spear and  a shield, the shield is usually similar quality to other heavy knight shields, sometimes a little better, sometimes a little worse). Heavy Riverlands Knights have 1h maces, so they are far and away the victors of the "weapon" category. Sticking out like a sore thumb here are the Heavy Targ knights, who do not have shields and are thus a very poor heavy cavalry unit (no defense against other cavalry or archers) and an even worse unit for sieges.

Armor sets have a little more variance, most of it bad. Heavy Reach Knights have chainmail body armor (plate elsewhere). All other Heavy Knights have plate body/leg/hand armor. Heavy Dragonstone Knights have terrible helmets (worse than the non-heavy counterpart), Veteran Northern Men-at-Arms have bad helmets as well, and Heavy Riverlands Knights do too, Vale/Wester/Storm Heavies have plate helms.

Horses I remember less strongly, but here are the high points: The only Heavy Knights with armored horses either have chainmail body armor or no shields (Reach, Targ). Most of the Heavy Knights on Heavy Destriers have bad helms, but not the Stormlands Knights. All other Heavy Knights ride normal Destriers, which are markedly inferior to Heavy Destriers.

The only difference between a Heavy Knight of The Vale and one of the Stormlands is that the Vale Knight rides a worse horse and has a slightly broader shield. When compared to a Westerlands Heavy Knight, the analysis is precisely the same.

Is the shield quality enough to make up for lack of a Heavy Destrier? And more to the point, what "benefits" are the Northerners and men of Dragonstone getting from their equipment sets that allow them to have helms markedly lower in quality than all the other Knights?

If it is a choice to increase the diversity of equipment sets, I can get behind that. The Westerosi Knights are all supposed to resemble each other (at least that is the design choice that I believe I am seeing). I know in any situation where there is a "best" option there must by necessity be a "worst" option. I am wondering if there is some "buff" to give the Knights of Dragonstone and the North to make them a little in-line with what other Knights have. As it stands, there are many groups of Heavy Knights that are Strictly Inferior to the Heavies from The Stormlands (half the factions on the continent).

Since the choice was made to give certain advantages to Knights (though still making them worse than Stormlanders, imo) I wonder what could be done to improve the viability of more geographically diverse Heavy Knights while still maintaining flavor and differentiation within the troop tree.

TarquinGaming said:
Armor sets have a little more variance, most of it bad. Heavy Reach Knights have chainmail body armor (plate elsewhere). All other Heavy Knights have plate body/leg/hand armor. Heavy Dragonstone Knights have terrible helmets (worse than the non-heavy counterpart), Veteran Northern Men-at-Arms have bad helmets as well, and Heavy Riverlands Knights do too, Vale/Wester/Storm Heavies have plate helms.

To this I have to note that Westerlands Heavy Knights also have heraldic mail instead of heavy plate now, and both reach and westerlands heavy knights have access to mailed destriers. I can't remember if it was solely mailed or just one of the randomly assigned mounts.

As for the spiky mace strategy, I'll have to try that. I'd noted the weapons and considered them for a while, but in the end decided that good horses would bring better results in general gameplay. Then again, now that I think of it, there's no reason why I shouldn't have both. And those sisterman retainers seem like a more appealing choice now that their weapon damage score is up in the top end of all categories.

Pity the beaky warhammers got pulled from non-tournament use, I quite liked those.  :mrgreen:

UnclePutte said:
To this I have to note that Westerlands Heavy Knights also have heraldic mail instead of heavy plate now, and both reach and westerlands heavy knights have access to mailed destriers. I can't remember if it was solely mailed or just one of the randomly assigned mounts.

As for the spiky mace strategy, I'll have to try that. I'd noted the weapons and considered them for a while, but in the end decided that good horses would bring better results in general gameplay. Then again, now that I think of it, there's no reason why I shouldn't have both. And those sisterman retainers seem like a more appealing choice now that their weapon damage score is up in the top end of all categories.

Pity the beaky warhammers got pulled from non-tournament use, I quite liked those.  :mrgreen:

Thanks for the corrections, thought I was misrecalling something.

As far as the morningstars go, I think they are the #1 most cost-effective improvement to any character or companion. You truly have to see it to believe it. In sieges, both attacking and defending, your companions do brutal amounts of damage to the initial plate/elite troops and smash shields in few strikes, as well.

I have "set unhorsed cavalry to infantry" and in longer battles will often keep re-positioning infantry and archers while my cavalry runs taking down stragglers and skirmish-mode archers. If a companion gets unhorsed with those commands set up, they'll pop up with their 2h mace and start backing up to the infantry line, all the while smashing the troops that are trying to kill them.

In one of my battles Fenna left a trail of Ironborn bodies that must've been 30 men long, starting at her dead horse and ending at my infantry line. Giving your companions the means to 1 or 2 shot heavy knights and Lords is amazing, and in my opinion a much better choice long term than getting them better horses. Though of course, as you said, why not both? (getting the weapon faster will get you more weapon skills, of course. And you will have A LOT of weapon skill points on your companions once they start getting absurd 15-20 kill battles all the time)

My kit for non-archer companions is a 1h mace/biggest shield I can get, 2h mace, and javelins. They act like morons with the javelins in field battles while on horseback, but when attacking or defending in sieges the throwing weapons really shine.

reiksmarshal said:

Well aren't you obnoxious? As I said, I have beaten the wights mostly on my own using horse archery (which is bogus, because wights should be very resistant to arrows). That doesn't mean that the wights aren't, based on what is known of them in the setting, unrealistically strong.

TarquinGaming said:
------big great post------

Thank you for this post, highly educational. I must admit that I've never tried the troops from the Three Sisters.

You have commented on all but the Northern cavalry; they aren't knights, admittedly. What is your opinion on them? How high (or low) do you rank them as cavalry troops? Stormlanders are indeed superior to most others.

_Ozymandias_ said:
Thank you for this post, highly educational. I must admit that I've never tried the troops from the Three Sisters.

Keep in mind that you must recruit them from a town or castle. (I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure) Sisterton troops of early tiers do not upgrade to Retainer, their troop tree ends. Once you buy the retainer, he upgrades properly to veteran and then elite. Until they are Elite they are trash units though, certainly not what you'd expect if you compare them to an Ironborn retainer or mounted sergeant, which cost as much.

You have commented on all but the Northern cavalry; they aren't knights, admittedly. What is your opinion on them? How high (or low) do you rank them as cavalry troops? Stormlanders are indeed superior to most others.

I forgot to mention their kits by name other than to insult their helms. I rank them exactly by Heavy Dragonstone Knights, they share the same basic set except the Veteran Northerners have a cosmetically different helm (of similar poor armor value). They get the Heavy Destriers like Stormlanders.

The Vale gets the gear of a Stormlander but a worse horse, the North and Dragonstone get the horse of a Stormlander but a worse helm. Riverlands have a bad helm too, but they have 1h maces which are vastly superior to arming swords. Reach/Westerlanders get the good horses, but have chainmail body armor. Targs don't get shields (which is DISASTROUS for every obvious reason, I recently joined the Targs in my playthrough and they make me sad pandas).

So, it seems that Stormlanders are the baseline Great Heavy Knight, and we can define the other Heavies by how they are different. Some have improvements (that they pay armor value for) like the mailed horses for Reach/Westerlanders, or else better weapons like Riverlanders (who sacrifice helm stats and the horse for this). The purely negative differences: The North and Dragonstone get worse helms. The Vale gets a worse horse and an identical kit.

In practice I'd rank Westerosi cavalry
1. Stormlands
2. Vale
3. Reach/Westerlands
5. Riverlands
6. North/Dragonstone
8. Dorne
9. Targ

The heavy targ knights not having shields is really incredibly damaging to their value. They don't stand as good a chance at living through the couched lance damage of an initial cav-on-cav charge, they take throwing weapons and other projectiles straight to the body, etc. In sieges this hurts more, where their value is depressingly low. This is made up for by Targ elite longbowman who are FANTASTIC. They have 4 power draw (everyone else on westeros that's a foot archer has 3) and plate body/head armor.

I have next to zero experience with the cavalry of Essos, so I can't speak to my opinion on their relative value.

On a different note, I noticed from prisoner recruitment that Free Folk's unit designations (Infantry, Archer, Cavalry) are off, which is why they have terrible behavior in sieges. Is it intended that Wildling Berserkers, who have no horses, should be Cavalry, or that wildling Archers be Cavalry (or infantry, can't recall which)?

kind of makes sense that the wildlings dont have their troop organised into groups, i think mance says to john that he was pissed off that his dog sled teams charged the walls because they would obviously be useless at seiging it.  so whilst they probably do have a bit of organisation they do seem to just CHARGE at stuff lol

Re: Wights, probably the most efficient would be the mounted tyroshi archers. You can just kite them. Hell, if you have a good bow skill and a horse you can solo the army. I'm a little surprised that people are having trouble with a cluster of literally the most vulnerable type of enemy (foot soldiers with no shield).

re: Knights, the pentoshi cataphract are good with their cataphract warhorses, which are better than mailed destriers, but they use arakhs (30dmg, 90speed, 78 reach) vs arming sword (29 dmg, 100 speed, 87 reach). The arakh has bonus against shields but I think the arming sword wins.

I think some of the ladies have the songs mixed up. I started singing The Rains of Castamere to one and she called it something different..

Back
Top Bottom