SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

askmax said:
Troops are ridiculously expensive IMO. Knights cost 700 a week each while medium range infantry is 75 each. How am I suppose to sustain a army like that?

An army like what? One knight and one man-at-arms?

I found a small, insignificant error in dialogue.  When talking with the Black Pearl of Braavos she mentions that her ancestor was Aegon the Unlikely.  I believe it should be Aegon the Unworthy, if I am not mistaken.  Not a major issue by any means.  Just wanted to point it out.

_Ozymandias_ said:
Stravask said:
That makes sense.
Though, I still think 100,000 for a dyeworks is probably a little extreme XD
This is more than a little extreme. As to the cost of Sellswords, we have this from the books (don't know how spoilers are handled here, so I will be cautious and spoiler tag this):

100,000 is not as extreme as you think, an active player can make that in 3-4 weeks game time. For example 15 raids + 6 tournament wins is 100,000. If you merc for the Iron Islands you can pretty much raid the North at will.

As for the new Essosi recruitment system it sounds pretty badass all around. I'm really hoping there are some very unique specialty for the rest of the factions. It is already confirmed Myr crossbows will be the specialty troop for Myr and Cataphracts in Norvos. What about the other free cities? I know this will be revealed at a later day, but a little speculation doesn't hurt. Here would be my picks for some of the other free cities;

Tyrosh - Tyroshi Corsairs

With this faction being a pirate/merchant faction I don't think there is any other unit that would be a better choice. While reading the books I couldn't help but think about the Barbary Pirates.

Braavos - Braavosi Swordsmen  (or simply just Bravos)

With the dueling scene in Braavos this is the perfect breading ground for some highly skilled swordsmen, even certain titles reflect swordsmanship for example "First Sword of Braavos". Maybe they could be armed with Braavosi long swords to make them more unique and to reflect the Water Dance or Bravo's Dance swordfighting style. The brigandine armor in the mod would work well for these units since it is light, you could also bump up their athletic and two handed skill to increase their movement and weapon speed.

Pentos - Maybe make their specialty unit elite foot skirmishers since that was one of their more unique units from the old roster.

Lorath - This one is kind of tricky since there really isn't much on these guys other then characters that are mention to be from this area for example Jaqen H'ghar. Since there really isn't an elite foot archer in Essos maybe it could fit the bill for this faction. 

Volantis - Tigher cloaks might be and option, but would probably make a better garrison unit kind of like the Gold Cloaks. What about a slaver camel unit armed with maces so they can actually capture prisoners. Would be cool if these added to the prisoner skill kind of like hunters add to the tracking skill.

I really liked the sound of unique garrisons in the free cites it would be neat to see the Sealords Guard in Braavos and as mentioned Tiger cloaks in Volantis.

As for the shared Essosi roster it will be interesting how it turns out, I really liked the look of Pentoshi swordsmen (minus the witcher shield) and lancers maybe something like those could fill the role of Essosi swordsmen and lancers. Anyways the preview was pretty solid news and 1.4 should be an interesting version to lose some time in.

reiksmarshal said:
Stravask said:
That makes sense.

Though, I still think 100,000 for a dyeworks is probably a little extreme XD

One last point on enterprises, have you ever heard the expression "It takes money to make money". This is it in a nut shell, the first enterprise will be hard to get, but once you get one the next will be much easier. Enterprises isn't something ever adventure should be getting more of the merchant/ little finger type characters.

Once you get one enterprise if you save the income you can buy a second in 20 weeks, if you own 2 you can buy a third in 10 weeks, and so on. Anyways in the end Cozur will do what he thinks is best for getting the mod economy on track. 

You're really not getting this whole "I understand the concept thing" -_-
Just coming off as condescending now.

Making crazy expensive enterprises is just cloning the already-in-the-game concept of buying land, where you also spend money to make money. When the numbers are that high for enterprises it's basically a pointless choice:

"Do I buy land or start an enterprise?.... Who gives a **** it's gonna cost the same amount of capital either way"

The reason enterprises have been less pricey than land, and land has a much higher potential investment, is because they were designed for early/mid game income, while land revenue and holdings taxes were for mid/lategame income. That's why I think just making enterprises expensive does little more than remove gameplay choices.

Cozur said:
There won't necessarily be custom units for every faction.

Well, as I like to keep pointing out, there's still always the Faceless Men in braavos (You know, the super-elite assassins who are pretty damned special?)

Plus, if you're going to pick a faction that doesn't have unique units, Braavos is not the right one. I mean the place reeks of difference from the other free Cities.

-You've got the Iron Bank as opposed to just mercantilistic tendencies (They've still got sea-trade obviously, but moneylending is where it's at),
-You've got the fact it was started by slaves instead of slavers, and is so anti slavery (unlike the rest of the F.C.s) that it forces Pentos to stop slavery,
-You've got the fact that the city is renowned globally for it's Courtesans, and it's Assassins are the most terrifying and effective worldwide,
-And it's developed a unique fighting style (Water Dancing) that's uniquely Braavosi.

Speaking of Water Dancing, I don't have my books with me to find you a chapter, but if you really need an exact reference to "special troops" because.. somehow.. Braavos doesn't make the cut, there's always the Bravos.

Syrio Forel was one when he was younger.  They travel in pairs, use the Water Dance style, and challenge anyone with a sword they find in an attempt to earn renown as master swordsmen and prove their superiority.

IIRC they also have a preference for looking fancy.

Probably a wiki entry on them I could find if you want it.

The bravos are duelists, and there has not yet been any sort of evidence that they're ever used as soldiers, nor that they would be particularily efficient as such. And no, there's not going to be recruitable Faceless Men, they're not soldiers.

Cozur said:
The bravos are duelists, and there has not yet been any sort of evidence that they're ever used as soldiers, nor that they would be particularily efficient as such. And no, there's not going to be recruitable Faceless Men, they're not soldiers.

They're duelists who duel any person they come across that has anything that even looks like a weapon in an attempt to prove their worth.
Seems like a battlefield is as good a place as any to do that. Syrio Forel, a former Bravos, dies (at least assumed dies) off-page but not before dispatching several of the "soldiers" attacking him.  Seems pretty efficient. Though I have to confess I don't know where the assumption comes from that people dedicated to being master swordsmen in a city of master swordsmen that use a world-renowned style of swordplay would be inefficient.

I'm sure some of the Bravos enlist as soldiers eventually, and it's pretty obvious the city relies on their master swordsmen for some manner of military strength (see: First Sword of Braavos).
Seems like splitting hairs is a really stupid reason to say "naw they're not worth having their own unit" when the "unique units" permeates the city and it's history.

The concept of proving yourself as a duelist before enlisting as a soldier isn't exactly a new concept either, and it's common historically in basically everywhere that has valued high-skill swordplay as an art (Spanish history, French history, Japanese history, some Portuguese history..)
It's apparent where GRRMs influences come from a lot of the time, peoples-of-the-world wise.

Plus, it's pretty obvious Braavos has some kind of military training, as they're not letting the Iron Bank sit guarded by whatever random sellsword thugs stroll into town.
Saying a duelist can't become a soldier is like saying a expert marksman can't become a sniper.

reiksmarshal said:
I swear I read somewhere they sometimes act as sellswords and bodyguards for caravans. Even Illyrio was a bravo who acted as a sellsword according to the wiki.

Don't have my books to look for it Q.Q

Hi Cozur and everyone,  I've been playing this mod since before .08 and I recently downloaded 1.31.  I was always under the impression the bridge to kings landing not being there was a bug, suffice to say I come back to 1.31 and see it still missing. Is this intended?

acokmodfan808 said:
Hi Cozur and everyone,  I've been playing this mod since before .08 and I recently downloaded 1.31.  I was always under the impression the bridge to kings landing not being there was a bug, suffice to say I come back to 1.31 and see it still missing. Is this intended?

A few of us have brought up missing bridges that cause a hindrance to gameplay (bridge to K.L., bridge to Myr), but no official word from Cozur as to whether he knows it's a problem yet.

reiksmarshal said:
100,000 is not as extreme as you think, an active player can make that in 3-4 weeks game time. For example 15 raids + 6 tournament wins is 100,000. If you merc for the Iron Islands you can pretty much raid the North at will.
I'm not saying that 100,000 is a lot in the game. What I'm saying is that if we are using golden dragons (the most valuable unit of currency in Westeros), then a dyeworks can't cost 100,000 as that runs contrary to the lore, something very important to this mod.

While reading through the thread I saw this:
Cozur said:
Raventree Archers from Raventree Hall.
I thought I should post a quote (or three!) from the books to support this, as I like House Blackwood and apparently they have some sort of archery tradition, so here goes:

[...] and Red Robb Rivers, known as the Bowman of Raventree. [...] Rivers brought three hundred archers to the fray.

Though a dozen birds took wing, not one ever reached the prince; Red Robb Rivers, said to be the finest archer in all Westeros, took them down on the wing.

[...] Lord Blackwood summoned his best archer, a longbowman known as Billy Burley [...]
-The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens

I trust these quotes are sufficient to support inclusion of Raventree Archers - perhaps longbowmen? I hope this is of some help, thank you for this great mod Cozur.

_Ozymandias_ said:
reiksmarshal said:
I'm not saying that 100,000 is a lot in the game. What I'm saying is that if we are using golden dragons (the most valuable unit of currency in Westeros), then a dyeworks can't cost 100,000 as that runs contrary to the lore, something very important to this mod.

While reading through the thread I saw this:
Cozur said:
Raventree Archers from Raventree Hall.
I thought I should post a quote (or three!) from the books to support this, as I like House Blackwood and apparently they have some sort of archery tradition, so here goes:

[...] and Red Robb Rivers, known as the Bowman of Raventree. [...] Rivers brought three hundred archers to the fray.

Though a dozen birds took wing, not one ever reached the prince; Red Robb Rivers, said to be the finest archer in all Westeros, took them down on the wing.

[...] Lord Blackwood summoned his best archer, a longbowman known as Billy Burley [...]
-The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens

I trust these quotes are sufficient to support inclusion of Raventree Archers - perhaps longbowmen? I hope this is of some help, thank you for this great mod Cozur.

also, Bloodravens band during the Blackfyre rebellion where the Raven's Teeth and where all archers, wasn't he a Blackwood/Targ bastard?

Back
Top Bottom