SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

negatrev said:
Cozur said:
Snuff_The_Rooster said:
Are the lance models still in the game though? If they are I can't find any of them!
I'm just curious why make the change anyway? Why bother to change the name to spears? (And as far as I can tell remove the lance models)

I didn't like the lance models in the game, too tourney like. Medieval lances, when used in war, where generally just large pikes.

Also, I wanted to make lances less overpowered, by having them break on impact, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I've done that now, and there's two new lances in 1.4 that will still be couchable, but will break on impact.

Will they be like shields, in that they replenish after every fight?

Yes.

Stravask said:
Just wondering if you might be willing to share troop tree info a little bit with us Cozur?

Since you've totally overhauled them and all.

Also, whatcha working on now that that's done? Just curious

Total overhaul might be a bit strong. Some of the progression didn't make sense: Swordsman into Mounted Archer would be an example. Fixed that, should be a bit more logical now.

Some troops where a bit underpowered, others overpowered. Also differentiated between spearmen and men-at-arms. Spearmen have spear + sword + shield, but a bit less heavy armor, men-at-arms have sword + shield, bit more armor. Spearmen are useful for breaking a cavalry charge, but their spears break easily, forcing them to switch to sword, which makes sieges a bit less stabby stabby -> no effect.

Some mounted units, such as the northern ones, do not have lances, but have maces instead, arguably the best one-handed weapon for use against other heavily armored units. Those mounted units who do have lances only have a sword as a secondary weapon.

Also added a couple of new unit paths to some faction troop trees, like the Reach being able to go either:

Elite Glaiveman -> Serjeant -> Mounted Serjeant -> Knight -> Heavy Knight

or

Elite Glaiveman -> Squire.

Next step is adding town specific recruitment. Example: White Harbor Knights recruited from White Harbor, or Raventree Archers from Raventree Hall.

On that, I'd love it if people could quote specific passages from the books. I remember something about house Marbrand (I think) having a company of mounted archers in AFFC.

Also changed the way moneylenders work. Completely removed the feature from all cities, except for Braavos. Changed a lot of text -> it's now the Iron Bank of Braavos, and I'll add some negative events if you do not pay them back, because the Iron Bank will have its due.

Cozur said:
BioHyde said:
BTW Cozur,
It was a cruel joke to put so much flat terrain in 1.31 (comparing to 1.2) and take out the lances.
Does anyone actually know how to add them back? I would appreciate any help.

The lances are still in 1.31, they're just called spears. I've added two new items to the merchants inventory in 1.4 - War Lance and Tourney Lance. Also made them break upon impact, so they're no longer super overpowered. Spears are likely to break upon impact/use as well, making Spearmen much more fun to play around with - still good for defense against cavalry, but not necessarily carrying spears in siege all the time.

BioHyde said:
Here is a question, can we have the Westerlands and Crownlads (The Iron Throne?) as two separate, but allied factions? That would give an option for Jorfrey to field the Kingsguard as lords with armies (I know, everyone is anxious to meet Ser Jaime Lannister and Sandor Clegane)

No. I'll put Jaime and Sandor in sometime, just haven't figured out how, yet.

BioHyde said:
I would also suggest that Volantis is to be given to Daenerys (with the Khalasar party invading), and Aegon in fact be renamed to Blackfyre at the moment of invasion (quite obvious that the banner which will rise over Storm's End in the next book will contain the black dragon)

There's absolutely no evidence for Aegon being a Blackfyre, it's just a fan theory. There's also no evidence, at all, that Daenerys will invade Volantis with a Khalasar in Winds of Winter, and even if she did, we'd still need a dragon or three for her, something it's not possible to introduce in Warband.

BioHyde said:
If to dream big, what would you want to see added to this mod?

Different tiers of lords, enabling overlords.

About lances:
I started playing ACOK with 1.2 (and as well it ws my first M&B game too), and after the transiction to the spears - I started loosing my Champion Heavy Destrier much to often.
Also, with the new spears - when you are galloping at full speed and hit someone with them (Not couched lance, just a thrust) you can one hit kill just a low tier unit, which doesn't make sense in my opinion. But whatever, I just switched to horse archer, which is also cool in this mod. Btw, the Dragon bone bow is usable on horseback (I mean I use it ok, lol)

About Aegon:
I do not think Lord Tywin could sleep at ease leaving a surviving prince Aegon escape Kings Landing. Also there is lots of evidence trough the books, as even Ilaryo in your mod before the invasion say: "black or red..."
I could bet that Varys himself is related to the Blackfyres somehow.

And I do agree that Daenerys without Dragons is not worthwhile playing. I also do not like her character from the books.
But for role playing reasons, a game with Targaryens (with a army full of Unsullied and Dothraki Screamers) vs a army of Blackfyres (with their absolutely lovely heavy Cavalry and awesome heavy armor longbowmen) is priceless.

Here is another stupid suggestion:
Is it possible at the game start to select to play as Rob Stark or as Aegon? That would be absolutely lovely, as I am sure that there are plenty of players dreming of bringing Lord Tywin down in their name.
Or, with Aegon's invasion - there was no war with the Reach. Considering that lord Tyrell was on the Targaryen side during the rebelion, and Lord Tarly was the only one who managed to defeat Robert in the rebelion as well as Lannisters keeping the Redwine twins as hostages in KL - this would suggest that the Reach is still a supporter of the House Targaryen.
While Aegon doesn't declare war on the Vale or on the North, which are directly responsible for Robert's victory.

And I have a question:
I have invested a lot of denars (can we rename them to Stags? Dragons? or the mechanics doesnt allow it?) in land at Volantis (I bought uncultivated land as I wanted to rise the prosperity of the town fast), and now I get like -17k every two weeks instead of revenue, and the town prosperity sufers greatly (but that maybe because of the lack of caravans, as I did chose a very mercantile policy when created my Kingdom)
Does anyone have a fix for it? I tried selling the land, and even with 0 land - managed to raise an "income" of minus several thousands.

Cozur said:
Total overhaul might be a bit strong.......

All of that sounds really good!- 1.4 is looking promising so far!

One suggestion though would be maybe some minor (smaller loan amounts perhaps?) banks else where in game?
I can't remember any specific mention to banks in the books but there must be right? I mean Oldtown, King's Landing... in fact I'd imagine all the port cities must have banks with all the trade that comes through?

Cozur said:
On that, I'd love it if people could quote specific passages from the books. I remember something about house Marbrand (I think) having a company of mounted archers in AFFC.

I seem to think that House Mallister have some sort of Marine like foot solider although I have no idea why?
Maybe from the total war mod? *Goes to check*

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/127/126656/auto/Mallisters1_zps5fef7a97.jpg

Yup, "Mallister Seaguard" Don't think their cannon though. Cool none the less and with the House's Ironborn repelling history isn't completely lore breaking.

On the whole though House specific troops is awesome.
Always irked me (not to any large extent) that all Westerlands troops (not just in your mod - tv as well) look like House Lannister foot guards. I'm sure all the House levis & professional troops would look much different from each other in reality but the work involved isn't really worth it.

Snuff_The_Rooster said:
One suggestion though would be maybe some minor (smaller loan amounts perhaps?) banks else where in game?
I can't remember any specific mention to banks in the books but there must be right? I mean Oldtown, King's Landing... in fact I'd imagine all the port cities must have banks with all the trade that comes through?

All the Free Cities have banks, but it's easier for me to just keep it as the Iron Bank of Braavos, and not having to do any of the others.

Snuff_The_Rooster said:
I seem to think that House Mallister have some sort of Marine like foot solider although I have no idea why?
Maybe from the total war mod? *Goes to check*

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/1/127/126656/auto/Mallisters1_zps5fef7a97.jpg

Yup, "Mallister Seaguard" Don't think their cannon though. Cool none the less and with the House's Ironborn repelling history isn't completely lore breaking.

Meh.

Cozur said:
Stravask said:
Just wondering if you might be willing to share troop tree info a little bit with us Cozur?

Total overhaul might be a bit strong. Some of the progression didn't make sense: Swordsman into Mounted Archer would be an example. Fixed that, should be a bit more logical now.

Some troops where a bit underpowered, others overpowered. Also differentiated between spearmen and men-at-arms. Spearmen have spear + sword + shield, but a bit less heavy armor, men-at-arms have sword + shield, bit more armor. Spearmen are useful for breaking a cavalry charge, but their spears break easily, forcing them to switch to sword, which makes sieges a bit less stabby stabby -> no effect.

Some mounted units, such as the northern ones, do not have lances, but have maces instead, arguably the best one-handed weapon for use against other heavily armored units. Those mounted units who do have lances only have a sword as a secondary weapon.

Also added a couple of new unit paths to some faction troop trees, like the Reach being able to go either:

Elite Glaiveman -> Serjeant -> Mounted Serjeant -> Knight -> Heavy Knight

or

Elite Glaiveman -> Squire.

Next step is adding town specific recruitment. Example: White Harbor Knights recruited from White Harbor, or Raventree Archers from Raventree Hall.

Also changed the way moneylenders work. Completely removed the feature from all cities, except for Braavos. Changed a lot of text -> it's now the Iron Bank of Braavos, and I'll add some negative events if you do not pay them back, because the Iron Bank will have its due.

Wow 1.4 sounds like a really big update and it seems to be addressing a lot of problems and making things a lot better! On another note, I have some suggestions and bug reports. Most of these are trying to follow the lore but I stopped in the middle of the third book a while back and I'm just starting over now, so my memory might be a bit hazy.

1. I see there are some Outlaw parties that have a flag. I really like that and I was wondering if you could do that and make a Beric Dondarrion party. Maybe he could only attack you if you are with the westerlands. He would have to be weak enough to run away from parties that are semi-big, like 100 strong or something. But his party could go around praying on the weak vassals, perhaps the ones that were just defeated and haven't brought their party to strength. I imagine it being like a big party of honorable men that attack the westerlands.

2. I was wondering if you could add Cersei back. I've only been following this for a few days so you might have mentioned why she is not in anymore, and if that is the case, just ignore this.

3. I already mentioned this in a previous post but this is a summary of all my ideas so I will just repeat it but make it short. Once you do the quest Shadows in the Night (I believe that is the one that gives you wildfire) the guy who gives you wildfire can say

"I can't give you any more, so use it sparingly. The only way you'd ever be able to refill it would be if you controlled the pyromancers of King's Landing, and even then it would be very expensive and take a lot of time"

That way if you take over King's Landing, every once in a while you could pay a LOT of money to refill your pot of wildfire. Kind of like Grazmak Mo Senko (srry if I misspelled that)

4. You have probably heard this mentioned as I cannot see how this would be skipped over, but some of the scenes have these.....  really small trees with a lot of twigs sticking out of them. They are very close together and you can't go through the twigs sticking out, so in a lot of battles with them the enemies get stuck in between them and can't get out, and your soldiers can't get in. As far as I can tell arrows can't go through, and the only way to win is to get lucky, since sometimes a sword can go through the twig trees if you hit in strategic positions and get lucky, or retreat.

5. I hate to suggest something that makes the mod MORE hard, but it would be more accurate if as a soldier in an army, you got paid as much as soldiers do in your party. For example, a heavy knight is 217 coins a week I think in game, but as a soldier you get payed 250 coins.

That is all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else I'll say it. As a final question Cozur, I wanted to know if we can have a possible timeline of when 1.4 will be released. Thanks and keep working hard, we all appreciate it :smile:

Wildfire is super freaking mega overpowered. If you could get more of it while controlling King's Landing, all you'd have to do was conquer that city, then you could steamroll the rest of the map.

Might add another quest that gives you one extra pot of wildfire sometime in the future.

Cozur said:
Stravask said:

Total overhaul might be a bit strong.  /snip/

Sounds friggin' legit <3

I know this has been asked to death, but if you're going the "town specific unit" route, is there any chance you'd consider allowing (non-wildfire OP bull**** version) ex-GoldCloaks as recruitable units? Or Night's Watch deserters in Mole's Town (if you were to add Mole's Town)?

Also, I did it to my own version and it's turned out enjoyable so far, but since you're tinkering with units atm, were you planning on diversifying the stats and whatnot for high-tier units?

For example, in mine, I've got Dornish Knights as essentially top-tier mounted archers, while the H. Vale Knights are the most resilient, while the H. Targaryen Knights have a chance at a bastard sword and are higher damage focus, and H. Westerlands Knights are an "all-around" group..

You get the idea.

Any plans for something along those lines, or is differentiation going to be mostly about equipment difference?

Not going to add recruitable Gold Cloaks, or recruitable Night's Watch deserters.

Not going to diversify stats either, but some knights have arming sword + shield, and some have just a longsword - one is more defendable, other one does more damage.

Cozur said:
Wildfire is super freaking mega overpowered. If you could get more of it while controlling King's Landing, all you'd have to do was conquer that city, then you could steamroll the rest of the map.

Might add another quest that gives you one extra pot of wildfire sometime in the future.

Yeah ok I get that. What did you think of the other ideas though?

Btw I have another bug to report. When you throw a pot of wildfire in a field battle, it blows up wherever you are for some reason, killing you and your troops.

Cozur said:
Not going to add recruitable Gold Cloaks, or recruitable Night's Watch deserters.

Not going to diversify stats either, but some knights have arming sword + shield, and some have just a longsword - one is more defendable, other one does more damage.

Gold Cloaks are basically police officers I don't see the fascination, they're stated as being pretty rubbish anyway (At least by the point of the battle of the blackwater).
No one would accept Night's Watch deserters. It's a death sentence to desert the Night's watch.

With all this talk of troops I'd like to bring up banners again (someone mentioned it a few days back, awesome idea imo). Are you planning on implementing banners? So much passages in asoiaf are given to pov characters stating all the banners they can see and it would be awesome seeing them in battle.

One idea that I had which others may not like is increasing the amount of sellswords in Lord's armies. (like 0% - 15% of the force)
Personally I love it when I'm fighting a lord or with one and they have sellswords amongst their regular troops. Really helps diversify the battles.
It's also noted a lot in battle chapters that Free Riders and Hedge Knights are very, very common.
Increasing the amount of sellswords specifically to Dragonstone Lords would also make his (Stannis) armies a lot more lore friendly since the vast majority of them pre shadow daemon were sellswords.

"That paltry rabble I see there huddled under the castle walls? I’ll call them five thousand and be generous, codfish lords and onion knights and sellswords. Half of them are like to come over to me before the battle starts. You have fewer than four hundred horse, my scouts tell me-freeriders in boiled leather who will not stand an instant against armored lances."

Or maybe adding a few Sellsword (getting sick of typing that now) vassals in the mix to Dragonstone. Not necessarily Saladhor Sann (the one everyone knows) since he's a Sellsail but a couple of lore friendly named mercenary vassals makes sense in my mind.

Snuff_The_Rooster said:
Cozur said:

No one would accept Night's Watch deserters. It's a death sentence to desert the Night's watch.

To be fair, pretty sure being a Looter or a Robber Knight is a death-sentence too, but you can recruit them. Soooo.. lol

Cozur said:

Thanks for the answer Cozur, appreciate it!

With this troop tree "overhaul" (for lack of better description), did you intend to make more sense of some of the faction's trees as far as what units they'd have near the top?

Someone brought up Tyrosh a few pages back, for example, and how their top units are mounted archers while they're an island faction.

Were you planning on changing some of that, or..?

Cozur, I love your mod! I have been following it for a while now and it's one of the best things ever.
I saw that you asked for book quotes so that you can implement some town specific units. Here goes then!

Men have lived in the high valleys and mountain meadows for thousands of years, ruled by their clan chiefs. Petty lords, you would call them, though they do not use such titles amongst themselves. Clan champions fight with huge two-handed greatswords, while the common men sling stones and batter one another with staffs of mountain ash.
-A Dance with Dragons, Jon IV.

I don't know how you might go about this, but Winterfell or Deepwood Motte (and any of the northernmost villages really) would be ideal places to recruit these guys.
You also said something about mounted archers from House Marbrand in AFFC. Only reference to mounted archers I've found in AFFC is this:

The greater part of his command awaited him beyond the city walls; Ser Addam Marbrand with his outriders, Ser Steffon Swyft and the baggage train, the Holy Hundred of old Ser Bonifer the Good, Sarsfield’s mounted archers, Maester Gulian with four cages full of ravens, two hundred heavy horse under Ser Flement Brax.
-A Feast for Crows, Jaime III.

Which indicates that Sarsfield (the Green Arrow house) is the one with the mounted archers. Tell me if these are any good Cozur, and I'll look for some more passages if you're interested.

_Ozymandias_ said:
Cozur, I love your mod! I have been following it for a while now and it's one of the best things ever.
I saw that you asked for book quotes so that you can implement some town specific units. Here goes then!
Men have lived in the high valleys and mountain meadows for thousands of years, ruled by their clan chiefs. Petty lords, you would call them, though they do not use such titles amongst themselves. Clan champions fight with huge two-handed greatswords, while the common men sling stones and batter one another with staffs of mountain ash.

I don't know how you might go about this, but Winterfell or Deepwood Motte (and any of the northernmost villages really) would be ideal places to recruit these guys.

I'm probably mistaken, but wasn't that quote referencing The Vale, rather than the North?
Not sure, but it sounds more like Vale stuff than Northerner stuff.

_Ozymandias_ said:

You also said something about mounted archers from House Marbrand in AFFC. Only reference to mounted archers I've found in AFFC is this:

The greater part of his command awaited him beyond the city walls; Ser Addam Marbrand with his outriders, Ser Steffon Swyft and the baggage train, the Holy Hundred of old Ser Bonifer the Good, Sarsfield’s mounted archers, Maester Gulian with four cages full of ravens, two hundred heavy horse under Ser Flement Brax.
-A Feast for Crows, Jaime III.

Which indicates that Sarsfield (the Green Arrow house) is the one with the mounted archers. Tell me if these are any good Cozur, and I'll look for some more passages if you're interested.

Exactly what I was looking for. Keep them coming.

Stravask said:
I'm probably mistaken, but wasn't that quote referencing The Vale, rather than the North?

It references the northern clans.

Stravask said:

Nope, it's Jon speaking to *Spoiler*(?) about the Northern mountain clans.
Liddle and Wull etc

Cozur said:

I heartily support town-specific recruitment because it will allow greater unit diversity.  I despise seeing westerlands armies with nothing but lannister gear.  The armies of King's Landing and the Westerlands were a mixture of Crownlander and Westerlander units.  Town-specific recruitment will open the door for increased variety, which I greatly enjoy.

Now, for all those who seek a separate "crownlander" unit tree, you can make your own (FOR YOUR OWN PRIVATE USE; if you ever wish to distribute it, you will need Cozur's permission) very easily with the troop editor.

Snuff_The_Rooster said:
Gold Cloaks are basically police officers I don't see the fascination, they're stated as being pretty rubbish anyway (At least by the point of the battle of the blackwater).

I can answer that question.  Several players (myself included) enjoy building their own kingdoms by taking over the Crownlands region.  Some, like myself, stop there and find great enjoyment in participating in the subsequent politics of the game.  Others expand and go for world conquest.  However, for many it appears a slight inconvenience is that the villages of the crownlands recruit westerlands units, meaning vassals don't have their own culturally unique units to recruit via the native recruitment system.  I think some find it a bit "immersion-breaking", for lack of a better term.  It's basically a cosmetic-immersion complaint.

Now, with that said, I have already stated that it is damn easy for players to add their own custom crownlander tree to solve the issue, and considering it seems mostly for their own player kingdom's use they won't have to conduct any complex coding things. 

In short, if people want crownlander (or goldcloak) units, they can tweak the files of their own game to make it possible, but I heartily support Cozur's opposition to making that an official feature.

I noticed a bug while watching a video of a youtuber playing this. When you wear the andal helmet you get from the quest "Tomb of the Andals" it doesn't show your character's beard if you have one. It makes it look like you have a clear face.

Edit: I did not want to double post but I thought of a suggestion. What if to make it more realistic you had to buy a ship to travel on water. You could still take a one time trip there by visiting a few choice cities on the coast such as dragonstone, pentos, bravos, ect. The one time trip would be much cheaper, but then once you buy a permanent ship you could go across the sea as you please. The only problems are

1. This might be too hard for players, but then again you set the prices, so it all depends on what the prices. However if it is too cheap why bother right?

2. It simply can't be implemented.

I'm just trying to help in any way I can by saying ideas I believe COULD be good. Most of them are probably nonsense, so don't yell at me if this one is lol, as I have ideas just floating in and out of my head every second.

Back
Top Bottom