PW-Mod Guide and basic knowledge

Users who are viewing this thread

Eskalior

Hello PW-Community,

I decided to create a Thread with an overview about this PW-mod to give the new players the possibility to have a good start.

Also check my mapper-tutorial!
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,194986.msg4671352.html#msg4671352

Structure:
1. General
2. Key Bindings
3. Getting started
4. Crafting
5. Fighting
6. Factions and classes
7. Cooking

1. General
Basically, in the Persistent world modificatition you can't level up like in cRPG or other modifications, also there is no Database to save your Character.
It's more a Roleplay-mod where you can train different classes and go in houses, taverns, make war, sieges and so on.

2. Key Bindings
I won't list every key bindings like the ones for administrators, but the most important ones:

F - The most important key in the mod. with F you can use/buy/craft/open/saddle up/... in general this is a Use key.
C - Also a very important key since the last update. With C you can toggle the names above players, show/hide you clothes, pick up other clothes and so on. Also you detach backpacks with C.
E (normally) - Kick another player, this interrups him in attacks and hurts him a bit, he also gets pushed back.
W,A,S,D - Movement keys, like in most other modifications
F7,F8,F9 - poll keys, F7 for abstain, F8 for 'No', F9 for accept
ESC - Main Menu, here you can start polls, kill yourself, faction administration and so on.
G - Drop your current weapon (the one in your right hand. if you want to drop a shield you have to sheath your weapon and take just the shield)
P - opens the money window, there you can drop moneybags or withdraw/drop money in nearby chests
L - opens the chat log
# or \ ( the button left of enter, depends on keyboard ) - sheaths your weapon (you can change the key)
F12 - select a player for armor looting
F7 - local chatlog

Chat keys:

Q - Local chat, has a light orange colour, if you press shift+enter, then you shout out, this has a dark orange colour and has a increased range
T - World chat, white colour, main chat. With this you reach everyone on the server.
I - Faction chat, different colours, depending on the faction flag. If you are leader of the faction you can use shift+enter to make announcements
Backspace - Admin chat, use this if you got complains. pink colour.

Admin keys:

F12 - select player
shift + F8 - stop a poll
shift + F9 - accept a poll
shift+ enter at admin chat - Make announcement

Mapper keys:

CTRL + E - go in edit mode (you have to be in window mode)
Right click - Select/place an object/colour/ground
Mouse wheel click - paint grass on the floor
T - change height of an object
Z - rotate Z-axis
Y - rotate y-axis
X - rotate x-axis
B - change scale
G - move placed object
double/triple/... tap W - increase movement speed
DEL - Deletes an object

3. Getting started

If you are the first time in PW mod, you start as a Commoner. Commoner is the basic faction and normally can't be attacked by other players randomly.
The first thing you should do is to check how much money you got, if it's more then 250, you should look for a Serf-trainingpost you can find them if you look for a pitchfork. Then you hold and press F to train.
Then you have changed your class to a serf. Congratulations :] Now you can destroy trees faster and also mine faster.
Now to this: If you got additional 300/500 you can buy a woodcutters axe/mining pick.
With this you can go to trees/mines and simply hit them with a right tool. (If you got no money, this also works with normal weapons with trees. You also don't need to be serf.)
Then you will see that the tree/mine drops items. pick them up (you can have a maximum of 4 items in your inventory) and find a place to sell them. Mostly they are in towns and castles. Put them in your hands and hold F at the spot where you can sell them.
This is the way you get fast money on the PW.

To buy a weapon/armor, just tap F once with no weapon in your hand. Then the weapon spawns at the spot, then take it with F.
You equip armors in the same second you buy it.

4. Crafting

If you are engineer, you have much possibilities to craft items/ build objects.
To craft items, you just need the right ressources and hold F at the weaponspot of the weapon you want to craft.
You don't know whats the right ressource? No problem, here is a list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoRHZwIqBE-udHdwMFZncWZpZ3JwVld5OHJ4MTk1SkE&hl=en_US#gid=3

How to get these ressources?

You will find some ovens to process iron and some benches to process wood in the world.

Iron processing:
If you process iron, you get 2 Iron bars.
To get a long iron bar, you need to process 2 iron bars.
To get 2 short iron bars, you need to process 1 iron bar.
To get 2 iron pieces, you need to process 1 short iron bar.

Wood processing:
To get 4 boards, process a Wooden block
To get a pole, process a branch
To get 2 short wooden poles, process a pole
To get 2 sticks, process a short wooden pole.

Building:

To build anything, you need to find the right place, it's often marked with a piece of wood or a chest.
Then you just need a repair hammer and some wood. Then you hit the spot and after ttime and many ressources, the thing gets built.

5. Fighting

Fighting is easy. You just need to hit the enemy with left click like everytime. But you have to respect the rules, randoming is not allowed mostly.

6. Factions and classes

You can join different factions in PW. Leaders can decide if they are in war/peace or in alliance with another faction.
Mostly the factions have own castles and own spots for weapons/armor/training places/selling spots.
If you train in the factions castle, you join this faction (it's shown in the first line: 'Train as CLASS for the FACTION'
In most maps half of the money you spend in the castle goes to a chest. This chest is locked by the leader of the faction and you can ask him for the keys.
He also can give out door keys for opening gates closed by the faction. All this the leader can do in the faction-administration panel.

You can leave a faction everytime you want by tapping F on a 'leave a faction and become a peasant' -stick somewhere in the world.

Classes:

There are many different classes in PW, and I don't want to list them all.
Every class has other special abilities, the better the class the higher is the price to train it.
There are also special classes:
Sailor/traveler: Best class to sail ships
Engineer: best class to craft weapons (only craftsmen can also craft, but their less skilled) and build constructions.
Serf: best class to mine/chop wood.
Doctor: can heal players with a surgeon scalpel

It's up to you what class you want to take, but often the lords want you to be what he wants.

Cooking:

For Cooking, you need the right ressources.
For example you have to harvest wheet to make flour out of it in a mill. Then you take the flour to a baker-oven and you can make bread.
You need bread and other food to heal yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope I could make you a bit more intelligent by this Thread.

Eskalior

Just one thing, when you process iron ore you get 2 iron bars, not 4, 4 was before the last patch I think.

hernandz said:
Just one thing, when you process iron ore you get 2 iron bars, not 4, 4 was before the last patch I think.

Oh really? Didn'T know it changed... corrected it now, thanks.

Rojen said:
A lot of people didn't understand when i told them to press # so i just call it the button left of enter  :cool:

I added this as description :grin:

Oh and for help with engineering put this link in, it's outdated but still very useful
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161979.0.html

Rojen said:
Oh and for help with engineering put this link in, it's outdated but still very useful
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161979.0.html

For me it was too outdated... So I summarized the facts of my own engineering eyperience, I think you don't have to know more about it.

Also I finally chanegd the sheath thing... :grin:

As other people have hinted at here, the key settings you listed are mostly just the native defaults: players should select "Change Controls" from the escape menu to list or change most controls, as the descriptions have been changed appropriately. I have changed quite a few warband controls from the defaults, so it is important for me that mods don't "hard code" ones that are near the movement keys and often used - the only "hard coded" ones are mostly listed in the associated presentation or in the game information window - due to the limited number of game controls. A few people might want to use the arrow keys for normal movement, but they are a bad choice for that since there are no adjacent keys for other common controls.

You also missed a few out: "select target" defaults to F12 (for admin tools or armor looting; I have strongly suggested people change it to something more convenient), F11 to bring up the admin chat target list, and F7 to toggle the local chat overlay, which unfortunately conflicts with "vote abstain" - I thought there were no more free function keys (F1 - F6 are annoyingly hard coded to the bot commands), but after looking over the code just now F10 seems to be unused, so it will probably be changed.

Does anybody use the local chat overlay, or are there players who might use it but didn't know? It was added after quite a lot of requests for some sort of system to help with local chat quickly disappearing from the screen before players had a chance to read and reply; but since there has been absolutely no feedback I have wondered whether the feature is generally thought to be useless or nobody has found out about it: I presumed that an entry in the action menu would make it obvious enough.

Vornne said:
You also missed a few out: "select target" defaults to F12 (for admin tools or armor looting; I have strongly suggested people change it to something more convenient), F11 to bring up the admin chat target list, and F7 to toggle the local chat overlay, which unfortunately conflicts with "vote abstain" - I thought there were no more free function keys (F1 - F6 are annoyingly hard coded to the bot commands), but after looking over the code just now F10 seems to be unused, so it will probably be changed.

As I told I just added the important keys and not these for admins etc. But I didn't know that F12 is for armor looting so I will add this.

Splintert said:
I thought F12 was for targeting admin commands? Can you loot armour from a range?
No, it's the same range as without a target (very short), but designed so with a pile of nearby corpses you can be sure you'll attempt to loot the item you want, rather than failing to get some plate armor and replacing your existing suit with some rubbishy shirt on the next body. And don't call it F12 :wink: the feature loses a lot of usefulness when bound to such an inconvenient key. It can also be used to check if the body is still "there" for armor looting - as long as nobody else has already looted the item you want.

Update: Added cooking.

But if you know more about this issue please tell because I never cooked ;]

Greetings
Eskalior

I have copied this guide and tweaked it a little, the link is http://rccclan.com/index.php?/topic/728-guide-for-new-players/ . I hope this doesn't bother you Eskalior. I also have made a lot of changes, and gived you the creator rights. I also posted a link to the original thread. If you think something about it, PM me, or reply to this post.

Back
Top Bottom