Native OSP World Map [Mesh][Code] Siege Camp Icon (mini-mod)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lav

Sergeant Knight at Arms
A very small visual mod. Besieged castles and towns will be surrounded with spikes, visually indicating their status.

This is how it looks in-game (Count Grainwad is besieging Halmar):

Attention! It is recommended to change the value of disable_moveable_flag_optimization flag in module.ini to 1, as it's default value may cause CTD's on some configurations due to Warband 1.143 bug.

Now compatible with the latest Warband 1.153 patch.

Pack contains 4 files:

lav_siege_camp.brf - contains the "besieged" icon.
module_map_icons.py - see the entry at the very end.
module_game_menus.py and module_scripts.py - search for lines between "LAV MODIFICATIONS START" and "LAV MODIFICATIONS END" comments.

Download URL #1: http://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade/mods/3214
Download URL #2: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3214

Can someone please make a mesh to indicate town/castle besieged status?

I'm thinking about something like the following:

I.e. some static icon of fortifications/spikes/whatever that will surround the besieged town/castle on the global map.

I want to make this into an OSP mini-mod, but I lack 3D skills to design/map/texture the mesh myself, and there are no available meshes that could be used as a substitute. :sad:

You can't use spikes scene prop for this because it's a combined mesh which is using two different textures. This won't work with map icons.

Spikes from castle_a and castle_c though are another story, I think I'll be able to split, edit and merge them back to get the effect I want. Somebody, thanks!

Lav said:
Can someone please make a mesh to indicate town/castle besieged status?

I'm thinking about something like the following:

I.e. some static icon of fortifications/spikes/whatever that will surround the besieged town/castle on the global map.

I want to make this into an OSP mini-mod, but I lack 3D skills to design/map/texture the mesh myself, and there are no available meshes that could be used as a substitute. :sad:

You want to do like in the Total War series right?  :grin:

That would be great.

Probably... I didn't play TW series for a long time so I really don't remember how it looks there. :smile:

By the way, I made the icon based on Somebody's mesh. Testing produced the following screen:

Looks fine IMO.

I also found the great operation party_set_extra_icon, which is not used anywhere in the Native, but allowed me to add those spikes without actually creating an extra party.

Now I only need to go through the code and add a few lines where appropriate, and the mod will be ready. :smile:

All right, I tested the code and it works. When NPC lords lay siege to a town or castle, spikes immediately appear.

However I stumbled into an unexpected problem. Whenever the file with the spikes is loaded into the game, for some reason the game will CTD when I try to enter any scene. Global map works fine, but I cannot walk streets or enter the tavern.

I have copied the BRF file to Native folder, added "load_mod_resource = lav_siege_camp" to the module.ini without any other modifications at all. As pure an experiment as you can get. No success, I still CTD when trying to enter a scene.

Can someone please help me to test and/or fix this? I have uploaded the BRF file to MB Repository. Link is --removed, case solved, see below--

Can mesh manipulation in OpenBrf really create meshes that cause the game to CTD? What's worse, why CTD when entering a scene while the edited mesh successfully loads and shows on global map? I'm really dumbfounded on this one.

All right, I couldn't reproduce the problem on another machines, so for now I'll assume that the problem is in the PC, not in the BRF file.

However, if someone can reproduce the problem, or even better, identify what the problem is in the first place, please let me know so I could make fixes ASAP.

Meanwhile, I'm putting the mini-mod for public download (see first post).

cmpxchg8b said:
Maybe it's the usual 1.143 crash.
Try setting disable_moveable_flag_optimization to 1 in module.ini.
Wow!

This actually worked!

Disabled flag back, and CTD'ed again.

Holy Carp, now could someone please enlighten me how moveable flag optimization for scene props can cause CTD's only when there's a loaded mesh that's never used in any scene or on the map or anywhere at all!
294p8u8.gif

Oh well. It's a kind of magic apparently.

Great thanks, cmpxchg8b! At least now I can remove that disclaimer with actual advice!

Lav said:
Holy Carp, now could someone please enlighten me how moveable flag optimization for scene props can cause CTD's only when there's a loaded mesh that's never used in any scene or on the map or anywhere at all!
294p8u8.gif
When adding props to the scene the engine sometimes tries to access element -1 of an array (semantic error). Because of that, the game will try to access memory that it's not supposed to, but it will only crash if the memory address that is being accessed is not in an allocated memory block. By adding a mesh you indirectly alter the size/layout of allocated memory, and in your case it happens that the memory address read by the game becomes invalid (i.e. unallocated) and triggers an access violation.
By enabling that module.ini option the faulty piece of code is skipped, preventing the crash.

Ah, so it's not the BRF's fault per se, it's just the random chance and can happen with any other mod altering the memory blocks located before scene props?

Which means that a fixed mesh won't help. :sad:

Oh well, I'll be hoping for the next game version then.

It's completely random. On some machines your mesh might trigger it, on some others it might fix it. Opening some other programs or rebooting might also fix/trigger the crash.
I've already reported it a few weeks ago, so hopefully they will fix it (if they even plan to release another version). In the meantime it can be prevented by changing the module.ini option or using WSE.

Can you provide full error message?

Seems something was changed in the recent Warband patches. I haven't yet explored what they include.

Updated the mod to work correctly with 1.153 Warband.

Version for 1.143 is available on Nexus for whoever needs it.

Back
Top Bottom