Swimming kit (Only brainstorming for now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, modders, here I am again. This time I have an idea: Let's all gather and craft a community kit for swimming. The current walking under water is wird and unrealistic, and coded drowning also isn't very pretty.
So I have a proposition: Everyone who fancies the idea to have something more realistic, post here - ideas/codes/whatever. Important: As I have no time to code ATM, let's keep it only to the brainstorming for now. I don't want anybody to code it for me or anything, but I won't stop people from doing so. :wink: No, really, I'm planning to make this later on, and, as is told in an old saying (at least in my country), "two heads think better than one". Even better when the heads are more.

To sum up: If you have an opinion/comment/idea/code piece/anything else, post here, so we can discuss the best way for swimming to be implemented.

Let me start: I think that we have to make an "air bar", a GUI piece that shows up when you're submerged and show how much air you have. If the air runs out, you start drowning (X dmg/sec). That's easy. But anyone got any ideas how real swimming could be done?

It is also said that too many cooks spoil the broth and swimming is more broth related. :razz:

It would be interesting if without a certain STR/Weight your character sinks to his death. Everyone remembers the end of AoE II's Barbarossa campaign.

It would also be useful if players chose when to swim, rather than it clicking at a certain height. This way you could conceal yourself in a shallow stream or choose to move faster by wading. I don't know if the AI could deal with this though. It could also be abused to combat swimming cavalry (which would naturally be considerably slower than galloping cav).

While swimming, all attacks should be worse and it shouldn't be possible to fire a bow or reload a crossbow.

just check if the player is underneath 0 meters and if he is, move him up. should work ?

There would need to be a few requirements to swim.

You should have to have a certain Agility level, and like Meevar said, a certain Strength level too. Strength could depend on how much you can wear while swimming: the higher your strength, the more you can wear while swimming. And Agility could let you swim faster.

(A Swimming skill might be needed, and would act like Athletics. Of course, not everyone would want to pump points into it, so how about a 3 point limit: 1 is necessary to swim, 2 is faster, 3 is fastest.)

And then for armor, you shouldn't be able to swim if you're wearing certain armor, like plate, or other awkward armor types.
A item flag could be like: can't swim while wearing, or something. I wouldn't know, I can't code.

As for the down and dirty coding part, I wouldn't know where to start (floating, swimming animations, coding in factors, etc.), but I hope that you get all the help you need to at least make a failed alpha that gets 15 downloads on the repository :wink:
Good luck :smile:

Edit: Just noticed the thing on players choosing when to swim. For AI, they would need it to be something that just clicks on. They wouldn't be able to know when not to, etc. Plus, the player would only start swimming once it got to his neck/head, otherwise he would just stand in the water like normal. Basically: water above players neck/head = starts swimming; not moving while in deep water = floating; standing it water below neck/head = stands like normal.

Back
Top Bottom