Founding your own Kingdom in Brytenwalda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey

I've got a question about the kingdom founding in BW - actually i just wanna know if there are new ways of doing so, specifically when i am a vassal of a kingdom. i want to keep my fiefs.. i know that that isn't possible in Warband, so i thought i just ask :grin:

sorry if there is already a related topic, i didn't find any.

I don't know about Brytenwalda (I just renounced my oath and surrendered my fiefs, then went off to capture another place) but in Warband you can keep your fiefs. All you need to do is renounce your oaths to your king, and then he says "You understand this means you must give up the lands you hold in my name" or some such, and then you have 3 options. One is you say, alright, cool, here, take them back and free me. Another is nevermind, I'll stick with you after all. The third, however, is something along the lines of "I have no intention of giving up my fiefs" which should do what you need.

Mind you, in Warband I've always either taken the first option or rebelled after being refused a fief, so I have no idea what taking the third option would actually do. Nor do I know if it exists in Brytenwalda (wasn't really paying attention). Still, try it out and see.

Edit: Since you weren't actually talking about going through the King's menu, I figured I should add this too in case you didn't know. As I mentioned in passing above, after you capture a fief, you can ask your king for it. If he doesn't give it to you, you should have the option of rebelling, keeping all your fiefs but now being at war with the faction you were a part of.

Of course, you don't keep villages either way unless you have the adjoining castle/town.

Slyve said:
Hey

I've got a question about the kingdom founding in BW - actually i just wanna know if there are new ways of doing so, specifically when i am a vassal of a kingdom. i want to keep my fiefs.. i know that that isn't possible in Warband, so i thought i just ask :grin:

sorry if there is already a related topic, i didn't find any.

Becoming a vassal is a waste of time if you want to be king in every Mount&Blade mod.
This is especially true in Brytenwalda, where you have a place to store your units (salt mine).

The easiest way:
- attack frank and dena parties
- recruit the prisoners you took into your ranks
- take these guys to the salt mine
- repeat

When you have enough of them, just attack a recently taken castle or town and declare your kingdom.

What this requires is that from the beginning of the game, start working on an area, so that every village in the neighborhood loves you by the time you become king. This will make the initial hard times a bit less harsh (since you can raise garrisons quickly from the villages)
Also, recruit (once) every possible companion and send them out to raise right to rule. When they are back, send them out to their contacts. When they are back again, fire them.

Serving a king is a waste of time actually.
You get a cr.ppy village, must follow and must follow an idiotic marshall all the time, who does nothing. As a 'bonus' you will have an enemy who will rarely make peace once you rebel with your holdings.

Have you played Brytenwalda at all, Shikaka?

Sides, being a vassal is about roleplay just as much as anything else. There isn't that much to a sandbox game unless you have a bit of fantasy.

Also, you can only have a certain number of units in your troop. This makes the Salt Mine more or less useless, and you get negative honour for using it.
The fastest way to establish your own kingdom is therefore raising your renown so you can keep more units in your army, and thus being able to assault a castle/town of your choice.

And you don't have to follow the marshal in Brytenwalda, they tell you that as soon as you get the quest. It's fully optional to follow him. :roll:

Also if you want to marry, which raises right to rule and makes sense from an RP standpoint, you need to vassal with another King.

I like to roleplay my char so I usually vassal with a King, get a wife, and then begin taking castles/cities until I get refused... at which point I renounce and keep all of my holdings (and associated villages).  I also begin to recruit the lords I made friends with.

Just don't execute the king... that's a mistake I won't make again!

UnholyNighmare said:
Have you played Brytenwalda at all, Shikaka?

Yes.

Sides, being a vassal is about roleplay just as much as anything else. There isn't that much to a sandbox game unless you have a bit of fantasy.

Of course, if you want to roleplay a vassal, it is perfectly fine.
However the question was about becoming king. And if you want to become king, being a vassal is a waste of time (in all mods).

Why is a place where you store your men useless?

Visiting mine is a minor honour loss, when you can release 1 prisoner for 1 renown...

And you don't have to follow the marshal in Brytenwalda, they tell you that as soon as you get the quest. It's fully optional to follow him. :roll:

To be honest I didn't know of this feature, because from like 1.32 I never was a vassal (reasons above  :grin:)

What is -the- best way of founding your own kingdom? How many factions should you be on good terms with, and how?

JorgoPimp said:
What is -the- best way of founding your own kingdom? How many factions should you be on good terms with, and how?

Just don't be on negative terms with anyone and have high right to rule and you'll be fine. I do believe that having a castle or a town b4 u start is a must. Having a large stockpile of low grade troops along with a big pile of gold can be very useful. I almost always start out as a vassal and get a town b4 I rebel and start a kingdom. Being a vassal is a great way to boost your renown, increase right to rule, improve relations with lords and get some juicy real-estate.

Why is a place where you store your men useless?

Visiting mine is a minor honour loss, when you can release 1 prisoner for 1 renown...
There's always the limit based on renown on how many men you can handle in your army. In the beginning of the game it might be like 10 or whatever.
I think every 3 renown ups the max with 1 soldier. With realistic sieges you would need almost the double of enemy troops to take a castle/town.
You need a lot of time to get your renown to such a level, no matter how you decide to do it. Spending time as a vassal in the meantime will slightly increase your income from the poor village and help you manage your army.
The Salt Mine becomes useful at the point where you need to quickly get a garrison somewhere or reinforce your army and no friendly village is closeby. The fact that there is only one Salt Mine that you can store your troops in will mean you will get a negative bonus if it is not close to your kingdom.

But I'm not one to tell others how the game is to be played, everyone to his own, right? :smile:

You basically need about 25 so that kingdoms agree to stop fighting with your new kingdom without too much difficulty. More is better, but I never saw any benefit at having it over 60. I am guessing that "I am the rightful ruler of these lands" statement works better when you are trying to recruit lords, but I had them join me using that line when I was around 40 without any issues.

That is irrelevant, really.

Persuading lords to join your cause is based on a few factors. If you're dishonorable and they are not they'll be less likely to join you. If there are lords in your kingdom that the lord in question does not like it will be less likely that they'll join you.
I believe right to rule also affects this beginning factor which will be there no matter what you do.

Next step is telling them stuff to convince them that your cause is the one they should take. Different lords react differently to each argument you have, so do not use all of them, they might not like that.
This step is also affected by your persuasion score.

If the score goes beyond a certain point (can't remember the exact number it needs to be) they'll agree to join your cause. If not, well, then they won't.

Conclusion: If you think you can persuade them or know some arguments that will have a positive effect you might not need any relation with them and hardly any right to rule. If you however have a high relation with the lord in question you won't need a high persuasion skill.
Of course, having everything is 'playing it safe'.

Ah, UnholyNightmare, again you are very helpful! :smile:
Thank you for all your help, and to everyone else in this topic.

Please don't revive these ancient threads. None of these guys are active on the forums anymore.

Answer to your question, go to your capital and see your appointed companion minister.

Valkirah said:
Also if you want to marry, which raises right to rule and makes sense from an RP standpoint, you need to vassal with another King.

I like to roleplay my char so I usually vassal with a King, get a wife, and then begin taking castles/cities until I get refused... at which point I renounce and keep all of my holdings (and associated villages).  I also begin to recruit the lords I made friends with.

Just don't execute the king... that's a mistake I won't make again!

Yeah the marrige is more improtent then... anything...
I started my kingdomm. Got two castle and a city pretty fast from the same nation that allready didn´t like me. but after one week I was in 5 wars. after 2 weeks 10 wars. now i think it is 12. No one wanna make peace because you don´t have a claim on the throne of brittania. Youre not married.
For instence there is one nation there every lord have around +50 relationship with me after varios events, but they declare war anyway and are right now seigeing my town with 2000 troops... yeah thats right 2000!!

Are probebly forced to start over :sad:
Perhaps there should say somewhere that you can´t/shouldn´t form youre own nation without a wife.

You're replying to a two year old discussion.

Your right to rule is the main reason when starting a kingdom everyone wages war on you. What you can do is to make sure you have troops to beat those 2000 men, Pengwern, Mierce and East Engla often have that many if sieges.

There's nothing wrong reviving the thread. I'm sure there are many players still looking for answers related to these things.  :wink:

Vesku said:
Please don't revive these ancient threads. None of these guys are active on the forums anymore.

Answer to your question, go to your capital and see your appointed companion minister.
I take offense at your remark, sir. Some of us have been here for ages.
But really, if there is a thread that goes along the lines of your question it's all fine and fair to revive it. I think it even says in the forum rules that it's preferable.

Back
Top Bottom