IG's departure from the ENL

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you may know, IG and the 22nd were scheduled to have a match on the 30th July.

The 22nd did not show up to our match at the agreed upon time; at least not with the required minimum of eight players. Ten or so minutes after the game should have started some of our representatives and players joined a steam conversation with 22nd reps to determine the reason for the 22nds failure to show up. We were not willing to postpone the match as we had prepared quite arduously and cancelled appointments etcetera for the match.

Triakor makes a quite concise argument (in regards to an unrelated ENL-match) as to why waiting until after the match should have started and then postponing is annoying or even something he would never again do:
Triakor said:
I am writing this post, because is a statement I have to make;

we originally scheduled the match to Friday, 5th of August. However, AB showed up with 4 players that day so we postponed the match to Monday. On Friday we had a little debate over postponing the match or claiming a default win (some of our players have cancelled their plans for the match and they were frustrated like hell). Even though I advocated postponing the match, since I want to win or lose by the sword rather than by the rule; I regretted that choice later on during the weekend and I still do. Our team (12 of us), was very motivated for and excited about the match on Friday, then hearing that the match is cancelled just minutes before the battle, was very disappointing and rude at the least... and on  Monday our minds was not on the game and if AB had won at least a few of the first five rounds, I believe, the score would have been much different. I understand that we must have some empathy towards each other, but as the phrase actually suggests that empathy must be mutual. If we are to respect the other teams desire to win by the sword, our readiness to battle needs to be respected as well.

Therefore I hereby officially announce that for the future matches we would play in anykind of competitive event having a league or tournament nature; if a team does not show up with the quorum for the match (or a similar matter, which obstructs the execution of the game on due date), we decided not to postpone the match and to claim a default win (as per the rules) unless the other team notifies us on the matter a reasonable amount of time before the game. If we fail to show up to a battle and not tell you about it until its too late, I urge other team to claim the default win without hesitation.

We were prepared to listen to the 22nd's problems during our conversation with them, in order to find a solution. They had agreed to play the match after the Week 5 deadline following a previous request from us1 and we felt that showing courtesy and being forthcoming would be in order. During the talks Plazek stated the match would not take place and the 22nd appeared to demand the postponement more than request it. They tried to pressure us into postponing by using our previous mutual agreement (an agreement made prior to the deadline) as an example: they insisted that because they agreed to play our match after the Week 5 deadline, we had to postpone. As stated, no conclusion was reached during our conversation with the 22nd and we gave no agreement to postpone. The 22nd reps abruptly left in the middle of discussions, so our team rep Lugh and other members felt that we were entitled to the default win as described in the rule: 
If a team cannot show out with 10 players, for a match, the other team should continue with 10 anyway. If however, a team cannot make 8 players or more, the other team will be offered a default win, provided they have shown up with at least 10 players. If neither team has shown up with 10 players, the match should be rescheduled. Teams should allow 15 minutes, after the scheduled match time, for players to arrive, before any of these rulings are put into practice.
As we had shown up for the match with 10 players and as the 22nd had not, and, as we had not agreed to postpone the match, nor found any reason to accept the 22nd telling us what to do, we considered accepting the default win.

Lugh posted a statement in the off-schedule results thread where he briefly described the situation and noted that we were considering the default win, to which sadnhappy replied with a quite oppositional post, asking "how dare" we think about accepting the default win. We are not prepared to be dictated that we have to postpone, nor will we accept facts being twisted to suit the 22nd. I made a reply to Sadnhappy's post, in which I stated that we were still discussing the matter internally, but that we were disappointed with the 22nds behaviour towards us. The only response or message I received from the 22nd after that was "Any suggestions for our 22nd vs. IG match date and time? - sadn", which completely disregarded our position and the fact that we had not agreed to postpone. The same can be said for sadnhappy's answers to Goker's question about what had happened to the match2 3.

We came to the conclusion that we did not want to play the match again under these conditions and decided to accept the default win in accordance with the rules and informed captainlust of that decision. Subsequently captainlust decided not to give us the default win. His reason being that during the steam conversation4, we did not explicitly say to the 22nd that they must play or lose by default. Captainlust furthermore saw a "reluctant agreement" (to postponing) in our reps comments, however we cannot find any evidence of this reluctant agreement in the chat log and this has not been expounded upon by captainlust.

Nonetheless, we responded to captainlust and argued that:
1. The rule is clearly formulated and the fact that we had ten players on the server 15 minutes into the game, while the 22nd did not have eight is likewise clear.
2. We are not required to remind the 22nd of the tournament rules, it is their business to know the rules and it is up to them to decide whether they want turn up to a match - we do not have to force them to play and neither do we have to inform them of possible consequences of them not playing.
3. The logs that captainlust uses for his argument show that the 22nd are aware that we did not agree to postpone the match. Their only options were to either play or lose by default. However, the 22nd left the discussion before an agreement to postpone was reached, and they did not appear on the server for the match. Hence the default win is the consequence.

In response to these points, captainlust labelled our argument as "tenuous" and refused to give us the default win.

Out of determination to reach an agreement and for the sake of the tournament, we proposed to postpone the match with a number of conditions. Our conditions were as follows:
1. We set the date for the next match and inform 22nd of that date, with sufficient time to prepare and organise themselves (four days).
2. The problem and consequences of failing to turn up to matches must be discussed with all ENL participants.
3. Those who have previously failed to show up to matches be formally reprimanded, thereby informing the ENL participants that such behaviour is unacceptable.
4. We wanted the agreement and decision to be made public (as well as all future decisions), in order to keep the league decision making process transparent.

We sent our conditional agreement to postpone to captainlust on the 17th August. Captainlust did not acknowledge receipt of this message until 23rd August, where he dismissed the conditions of our agreement. As the reasonable conditions of this agreement were not met, we revert back to the tournament rules.

The tournament rules make clear that we are to be awarded a default win for 22nd's failure to show up. Captainlust has refused to apply this tournament rule. This decision obviously goes against the rules of the tournament but can be made legitimate by one if the rules: "The event admins will have the final say. If a dispute does not fall in your favour or you are unhappy with a decision, you must accept it". This would then however mean that event admins can decide as they please and even contradict other tournament rules.

We see no point in playing in a league where the majority of rules can be disregarded at will by the organiser, especially when we (and other clans) make the effort to adhere to the rules. We therefore take our leave from this league.

For the most part it was fun and we wish good luck to the remaining clans. As always, we welcome challenges from any clan which can muster sufficient numbers to fight against us.

1 As I already stated here, we had not agreed a match-date then, would have had enough members to fight and had not violated any rules as sadnhappy seemed to have suggested in his post that my post is a reply to.
2 http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,182369.msg4482412.html#msg4482412
3 http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,182369.msg4487159.html#msg4487159 - the mentioned decision by lust was and still is unknown to me
4 We had sent a copy of the logs to lust

And I thought we were ****ed up after that last match we played without no preperation whatsoever. It's just a game. We played without preparation, results showed it. Only 2 of us ragequitted, your entire clan quits. Poo.

I think you were right til the point where you did the "conditional agreement to postpone" thing. Nothing you mentioned gives you the right to say "Hey there. We demand this stuff, or else we won't play"

To be honest, it just makes me think that you were still reluctant to play even after agreeing to postpone.

It doesn't matter who it was, if any team demanded something like that, instead of discussing, the answer would always be
captain lust said:
**** you.

And that's my opinion.

images

I smell fear. Sucks. :neutral:

Saddest part is that a team wants a forfeit win in the first place. We would never ask for a forfeit win. We gave you weeks time blah blah. Long story, anyone knows it. Shortly: I, as many others, believe you are wrong and it's sad to see you guys leave since we were waiting for the match against you which would have determined the #1 spot in ENL. On another second note, not a single game should be contested a default win for anyone. The tournament is played in the battlefield, not on the forums.

Perhaps, it would be best to avoid outright insults or trying to mock the other clan.

It only makes one look petty.

On topic, I am sad to see this happen, we are too small of community to suffer events like this without noticing the effect.

I expect no one is completely right or wrong though, so I have little interest in inane banter.

How we act reflects on not only us as individuals, but on our clans and the community at large.

Also there are several lies in the OP and false accusations and the general tone of it makes us look far more aggressive in our talks than we ever have been, it was quite hard to read to be honest. I don't understand the anomosity coming from IG over this whole thing. I could explain in detail all the parts in the OP that are flawed but I don't have the time and what's the point now that IG has left.

meh, drama.

On topic, I am sad to see this happen, we are too small of community to suffer events like this without noticing the effect.

I expect no one is completely right or wrong though, so I have little interest in inane banter.

How we act reflects on not only us as individuals, but on our clans and the community at large.
this.

The leading team in ENL div A quits like this is just a big slap in the face of the competive community. This is stupid drama, something we don't need.

Another one bites the dust?

sadnhappy said:
Also there are several lies in the OP and false accusations and the general tone of it makes us look far more aggressive in our talks than we ever have been, it was quite hard to read to be honest. I don't understand the anomosity coming from IG over this whole thing. I could explain in detail all the parts in the OP that are flawed but I don't have the time and what's the point now that IG has left.
To be honest, you were kinda acting badly when I asked the situation on the thread. It looked like you were forcing IG to postpone the match.

PFF, and you guys get all giddy when the US has drama. While the rules may be clear, isn't it the intent of a default win/loss to be a final option, not something you skip to right away, no matter how one side or another "acted" or "demanded."

While I do understand that being prepared only to have the other side not bring their share is frustrating, one or two bad experiences (especially with a clan such as the 22nd) should not be taken out against the entirety of the league or diplomacy in general.

sadnhappy said:
Saddest part is that a team wants a forfeit win in the first place. We would never ask for a forfeit win. We gave you weeks time blah blah. Long story, anyone knows it. Shortly: I, as many others, believe you are wrong and it's sad to see you guys leave since we were waiting for the match against you which would have determined the #1 spot in ENL. On another second note, not a single game should be contested a default win for anyone. The tournament is played in the battlefield, not on the forums.

Come to think of it, you will probably finish division A first by not playing in the battlefield but in the forum. I don't think my opinion means anything to you, but the attitude of 22nd in this league cycle has ruined the clan's image for me, and actually this is the saddest part. 

keep this up if you want to be excluded from future leagues gavin, keep it up. It's not up to me, but you're going to annoy the wrong people with moves like this.

Also, actively pursuing a default win when the tournament organiser disgrees with you is complete rubbish. You should've bit your lip and played the match, 22nd should have apologised for missing the match, and we'd all be friends now wouldn't we.

They'll just make their own league, and ban everyone from it, and make people post ban appeals to play in it <3

IG should make their own league! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the league!

[me=AWdeV]buggers off again. [/me]

Triakor said:
Come to think of it, you will probably finish division A first by not playing in the battlefield but in the forum. I don't think my opinion means anything to you, but the attitude of 22nd in this league cycle has ruined the clan's image for me, and actually this is the saddest part.

We have a match against CoR coming up next week probably so I think we'll be finishing it up in the battlefield my friend. And that's what we have done, settled the matches in the battlefield. I wouldn't had a problem admitting defeat to IG in the battlefield after the 20 rounds had been over were the match been played in the near future. None whatsoever. 'cause I know I'd be man enough to admit a loss if a loss will come in the future, thus retained my dignity, upholding our values and having fought like a man in the battlefield. Same thing with CoR, if we might lose against them. I'm not scared of losing, unfortunately some people are.

IG - Flees from anything that can hurt their feelings since 1697'

Just play the match already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom