Best Games

Users who are viewing this thread

This one.

heheh jp.

Go buy Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Good game. Or even Impossible Creatures, Black & White, Call of Duty, Universal Combat?

Whats your general game preference?

Half-Life 2, Reserve Battlefield 2, GTA: SA... depends on your tastes. I'd suggest HL2 for anybody though - the modding possibilities are endless.

If you're into fantasy, Morrowind and its expansions can be had for a good low price. I've been playing that game for quite a while, and have only really "beaten" the game once. The modding community can't be beat.

Rome: Total war is great too, with a very good modding community. Of course, the expansion will be out in a few months (actually, probably around Xmas) so it might be worth it to wait and get em both at once.

Half-Life 2, Rome: Total War... both excellent games. If you're in the US get Psychonauts - it's not out here in Europe until November, though.

Also, take a look at Silent Hunter 3. At the very least, seriously consider buying it - it's fantastic. It's Das Boot: The Game in all but name.

Laurence of Arabia said:
I have money, and it must be spent. Im looking for a...sensible investment in games. What would you suggest?
A sensible investment in a game? Look deep within yourself, or you may wind up playing someone else's idea of a good game.

Master of Orion 2 is a great game and you can pick it up cheap...just avoid the third installment. Civilization 3 is good too, as well as the Hero's of Might and Magic series. And if you haven't really played Halflife 1, don't bother with part 2, the original is still far more popular as there are more and better mods out for it right now. I suspect it will continue to remain popular for a couple more years until it is eventually overshadowed by HL2. Planetside is a pretty good MMOFPS if you're in to that. Oh, and i would highly recommend the original Battlezone (a GREAT game that seem to have gone unnoticed). And lastly, the original Deus Ex (as with others mentioned, the sequal sucks horribly, so steer clear).

How could I forget Master of Orion 2? One of the best games ever. Period. Buy it if you find it, pirate it if you can't (note, I don't advocate piracy, but this game is so good you should run over your grandmother to get it if you have to)

Never played the 3rd one, heard it was terrible.

Operation Flashpoint (GOTY). More than just a bang-bang-you-are-dead game. It's like a first non-professional battle field simulator, I'd say... If you have done your military service, you'll love that game!

Others: Civilization (all versions), Cossacks, Stronghold, Baldur's Gate.

OFF-TOPIC: What good online shops there are in euro zone to buy some games? Here in ze German games tend to be all in German, and I still prefer John Wayne to say 'where's my horse dude' rather 'mein Herrn, können Sie bitte sagen, wo mein Pferdchen ist'...if you know, what I mean...

Am currently playing star control 2...really funny and good game...95% identical to (sega genesis version) of starflight which IMO have some superior features although that game doesn't have any humor and it's not as pretty...

Can download it btw, since it's freeware :p...sc2.sourceforge.net

What else is there...hmm...older games...Deus Ex, most definately, Fallout 1/2, maybe fallout tactics if you're into squadgames (not that great but still ok'ish fun)...heck, can buy the whole packet really cheap, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 or 3...stay away from 4 since it's crap compared to the prev versions, altho there's a modification that you can download which partially saves the game.

Freelancer...not the best game since IMO it's VERY unpolished...very nice looking space environment but soo much more that could've been added...AI is crap and universe feels stale...tons of good mods for it though which remedies the game...
Also, if you're into spacesims, definately go for Freespace 2...

All these games are dirt cheap by now and yeah...these are good classical oldies (most of them)...I'm personally no real fan of new games since 90% are usually nothing but crap...

Nothing much to add to this other than: Gothic 1/2. You can get a rip of the first one at The Underdogs, but it is missing movies and voices. Buy it if you can find it. Gothic is basically Morrowind, but smaller, and with a more... living world. Once you get past the clunky interface, you'll find a real gem. The second one is also excellent (Larger, more quests, etc.) though it loses some of the atmosphere the first one had.
(Oh, and I second Fallout 1/2.)

Gothic 1, 2 were excellent RPGs, IMO, and of course, the Fallout Series continue to amuse. Great opening music and intro video to Fallout leading to an interesting game.

I'd say it depends on what kinds of games you already like. Asking for a list of good games is like saying you want a girlfriend. Does it matter what she looks like, how old she is, if she's smart, if she can make you laugh or think, whether she's healthy or whether she's married?

There are a metric buttload of games out there, even good ones, but I'd need a place to start. Some of my very favorite games don't look great by todays standards and others are extremely complex. Several have issues with bugs or detailed patching regimens. Odds are I wouldn't recommend them to folks who don't share my tastes.

Back
Top Bottom