Best Faction To Join

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm Nord since I started playing this game, but now I compose my army of 70% Nords and 30% Vaegirs because I think they are awesome as archers and due to the proximity of the two factions, making it easy to replenish any losses.

For me, any faction will do. If I'm fighting khergits in skirmishes, I'm doomed no matter which faction I'm in. Even when I'm fighting against Khergit deserter with Khergits themselves. But anyway, have you tried conquering Calradia as Khergit, with full party of Khergits only? I've done it before, and it's an epic fail. My faction (Khergit Khanate), had lost the war against Nords. My towns and castles (Faction, to be precise), were besieged many times and slow but steadily, My faction was defeated. And since that time, I regret joining Khergit.

io0901 said:
For me, any faction will do. If I'm fighting khergits in skirmishes, I'm doomed no matter which faction I'm in. Even when I'm fighting against Khergit deserter with Khergits themselves. But anyway, have you tried conquering Calradia as Khergit, with full party of Khergits only? I've done it before, and it's an epic fail. My faction (Khergit cav are usually best for the job Khanate), had lost the war against Nords. My towns and castles (Faction, to be precise), were besieged many times and slow but steadily, My faction was defeated. And since that time, I regret joining Khergit.
Cav is the only way to kill other cav very efficently. any cav works but swadian

In a short term perspective, e.g what you're starting as. Nords would probably be best since they are pretty balanced out and nord troops are pretty durable. But in the long term, i'm sure it takes some playing around with in all the kingdoms to get a good balance of force

RighteousBrados said:
Hi guys just wondering what the best M&B Warband faction there is to join, or tips on knew kingdoms, I am new here and I just made an acc, loving this game so far.

A lot of people are mistaking joining a faction with troop composition of your army. Although it`s safer to recruit from the villages controlled by your faction and to raise your standing with those villages, you can pretty much recruit from any village. In fact you can be much more effective when supporting your kingdom in battle if you field units that complement the bulk of your faction`s army, like heavy cavalry or Vaegir archers for Nords, Spearmen for Vaegirs, heavy infantry for Khergits etc. Your troop composition is dependant on the villages you worked high standing with and how much money you have available for mercenaries.

Choosing a faction is more about the average geography you`re confortable with (although that might change), the lords that you want to work with and more importantly, how much that king rewards his vassals with lands. But even the lords might change as they betray and are betrayed by their king and shift colors around. The only thing that is certain about factions in the late game is that kings have big armies (500-1000men) and these are usually composed by their faction`s units. Make sure you can complement them well to form a super effective army.

Hey Hey Hey Hold on bro.

There ain't a "Best Faction" to join, the best faction is the faction that works for YOU.

So what are each of the Factions good at? Well........

Nords: You can't go wrong with the Nords, they got the BEST Infantry/ Nord Huscarl and decent bowmen.
Swadia: Oh lord, don't even get me started on Swadia, they have the fearsome Swadian Knights, who just power through just about anything.
Rhodok: My favorite faction and I have very good reasons too. The Rhodok have the best crossbowmen and have very tough infantry that when used correctly, can even stop an cavalry charge.
Vaegirs: Is this a joke? Next!
Khergits: Excellent horse archers that uses hit and run tactics to win. Very fast moving speed and very cheap to maintain.
Sarrandids: MAMULKES, MAMULKES, MAMULKES! Sarrandid's cavalry is just as good if not better than Swadian Knights.

In the end, I suggest you to try out all the factions ( NO VAEGIRS) and decide which faction is best for you.

wakko2k said:
all factions are good in their own way... how do you like to play?

Nords - strongest infantry and decent archers

vaegir - strongest archers and decent knights and infantry (dont use shields much?)

swadia - strong knights

khergit - horses, good on flat battlefields, not as good on sieges

sarranid - pretty good knights and avarage archers and infantry

rhodoks - very defensive, strong defence and very strong crossbowmen and decent infantry

You sir, are a very smart man!

ADestroyerOfArzock said:
wakko2k said:
all factions are good in their own way... how do you like to play?

Nords - strongest infantry and decent archers

vaegir - strongest archers and decent knights and infantry (dont use shields much?)

swadia - strong knights

khergit - horses, good on flat battlefields, not as good on sieges

sarranid - pretty good knights and avarage archers and infantry

rhodoks - very defensive, strong defence and very strong crossbowmen and decent infantry

Pretty much summed it up.

Thing about Swadia is that they have Knights. Knights are strong melee and Calvary units. On foot, they are strong because they have good armor and weapons and on horse, they are strong too. The only thing they're lacking is ranged attacks. They are pretty much the perfect soldier to have. The only fraction that has a troop that rivals Swadian Knights are Sarranid with their Mamlukes. They too are good Calvary and melee units.

I think Vaegir actually have weak knights. I think their strength is with their archers.

Hmm...I dont know about that. Yeah, Swadians have good knights, but I think that the best faction to join---if you choose to only use the troops from that faction...are indeed, the Vaegirs. I think their army is more balanced than the Swadians, but also I think their strength in archers is better placed than in cav. the marxman can pretty much decimate any enemy infantry corps or archers that try and come up, due to that godly firerate. The vaegir guards, I think, get a bad wrap in the end. YES, they do not have sheilds, but consider their name--GUARDS. Use them the guard the archers! They do not need sheilds when used guarding marxman--the marxman's rate of fire can overpower enemy archers! So the lack of sheilds actually does not matter, since you definatly will have marxman in there, right? Now, after the footman, is their cav. Most people say that that the Vaegir strength is best in bowman, they have average cav, and then bad infantry. However, I have to disagree with this...I prefer that the cav is they're worst stregth, as two handers are not really useful on horseback, and they dont always use good armors and carry sheilds, which is important for them since archers and cav dont work well on the same team, and marxman cannot supress enemy fire for cav. Their main purpose, is...well, with the guard/marxman combo, they don't really have much purpose. I suppose they could be useful for breaking a tight formation your marxman cant unload on, which they do allright, as they do have armored horses.
Against lots of heavy cav, you can have all the components of your army as close together as possible, and dont forget to mix in the knights and horseman. This way, when a Swadian charger comes through your line, it will not just pass right through, the horses will stop the knight, and the two handers will reach up and cut him up, not just his legs.
Against a fair amount of archers, a different approach may be needed. This may be where the Vaeigir knight shines, as my favorite strat in this situation is to have the knights wreak havoc in the archers lines, while my guard/marxman get setup to unleash hell. You probably should not tell them to charge--just click on the tactical map or whatever the backspace button minimap is called, and then hae your cav run through the archers, and ride behind them. They will disrupt the lines, and while they may not cause as much damage as Swadian knights, they will not have to. They will usually run right through the line, and then go to where you clicked ont he map. Have them ride away from the archers. By now, your guards and marxman have gotten set up and will be able to force vaegir rain upon the wanna-be archers and/or crossbowman.
Finally, against heavy infantry, it may be wise to have your knights dismount and supplenment your infantry. Then play defensively, and wait for the enemy to come in range, and pincushion them--a reletivly common strat.
In the end, I tend to value versitility above all else, although whatever strat works for you, each one can be completely different in other peoples hands.

It depends heavily on difficulty settings. Some factions have backdraws that aren't that much of an issue at lower diff, for example: The lack of map speed and high training times aren't an issue for Nords at lower diff, since they take so extremely few losses. On higher diff those backdraws will really hurt you.

There's a huge difference between the best faction to be in and the best types of troops to use.  Regardless of what faction I'm in, I'm going to field the best army I can (aside from an RP situation where I only recruit faction troops), no matter where I have to recruit those troops from.  Your faction tends to be easiest to recruit from, but any town that's got a decent opinion of you should be able to provide recruits.  If you do a couple of tasks for the locals, they'll generally cooperate.

On the one hand, playing Swadia, Nords, or Rhodocks is easy, because they've got a solid infantry formation, but Rhodocks and Nords tend to lose to mounted armies in the open, and Swadians have fat King Harlus and his stupidity to deal with, which partially compensates for their awesome Knights.  Either Swadia or Rhodocks tend to gobble up a lot of land early, especially with a little bit of player assistance.  That makes it easier to get castles assigned to you, since all of their nobles will already have holdings.

Khergits lack good siege troops, but if you recruit your own, how does that hurt you?  They're devastating in the open field, and my "usual" army is composed of about 3/4 or more Khergits, except during sieges.

The Vaegirs tend to do well enough against some forces, particularly in mixed terrain, but badly against others (like vs Swadians).  Vaegirs tend to do passably well at nearly everything, but aren't the best at it: not a lot of strengths, but no major weaknesses.  If I'm building an "ultimate army", then I can get better "specialized" troops elsewhere.

In most games I play it's the nords that grow rapidly, as do the Khergit, usually at the expense of the swadians, though that is with a more advanced battle calculator that takes unit level, type etc in account. In native the battle calculator (there is a better word for it, but I forgot) is highly in favor of cavalry and especially horse archers. That does not mean their units actually do better in a battle. I've had devastating results using nords against cavalry. As long as they stay relatively together, which your commands can do, horses get stuck and absolutely slaughtered. Also because not all of them hit you at a time, too many are riding around for another 'charge'. And as another thread here recently asked: is there any way to improve the dreadful AI of horse archers

I role play usually as Deka, a peasant of royal descent. He's a noble fellow, so he won't serve under cruel kings/lords or kings with a bad reputation. The only faction I will NEVER join is the Nord faction. They are nearly impossible to take a settlement from so why would I want to help them conquer all of Calradia? I might want to start my own kingdom and I certainly don't want to go up against them...

A few points to build on what wakko2k said back in 2011:

Nords: strongest siege troops on offense, but can be overrun by a mounted army.  They take and lose a lot of castles.

Vaegirs: most "well rounded" army, except for the lack of shields, and good archers to support a castle defense, but vulnerable to ranged fire in return.  They tend to lose to Nords but beat Swadians in sieges.

Swadians: not only the Knights, but Men at Arms, Sergeants, and other high-tier are quite tough, but the lower tier troops are pretty weak.  If you can train them up to a high level, Swadians are devastating, but getting there is tougher.  Once they start to lose, and their best units are gone, they fall apart fast.

Khergits: almost entirely mounted army, except for some of the bottom tier recruits.  With a bit of tactics, they can devastate almost any other army (besides Rhodoks) in the open field, but are weak on either end of a siege.

Rhodoks: strong "middle tier" troops, including crossbowmen for ranged combat and spearmen to stop cavalry.  Very powerful on the defense in a siege, only moderately so on offense.  They tend to hold whatever they manage to take.

Honved said:
A few points to build on what wakko2k said back in 2011:

Nords: strongest siege troops on offense, but can be overrun by a mounted army.  They take and lose a lot of castles.

Vaegirs: most "well rounded" army, except for the lack of shields, and good archers to support a castle defense, but vulnerable to ranged fire in return.  They tend to lose to Nords but beat Swadians in sieges.

Swadians: not only the Knights, but Men at Arms, Sergeants, and other high-tier are quite tough, but the lower tier troops are pretty weak.  If you can train them up to a high level, Swadians are devastating, but getting there is tougher.  Once they start to lose, and their best units are gone, they fall apart fast.

Khergits: almost entirely mounted army, except for some of the bottom tier recruits.  With a bit of tactics, they can devastate almost any other army (besides Rhodoks) in the open field, but are weak on either end of a siege.

Rhodoks: strong "middle tier" troops, including crossbowmen for ranged combat and spearmen to stop cavalry.  Very powerful on the defense in a siege, only moderately so on offense.  They tend to hold whatever they manage to take.
Isn't it amazing how much longevity this game hss? Am still playing it from time to time even after all these years....

Cpt. Nemo said:
Blackhorn said:
The best faction is sarranid perfect at Cavalry and archers only have porblem with infantry
Problem is, the Sarranids don't exist in M&B.
And that is GOOD. -.-

Personally I like to go with a mixed company and am not partial to any faction (well, i hate the Khergits of course).
Recently it happened to me to free a large group of prisoners after a siege battle. Among the others there were 21 looters. My plan is to ride out and scourge the world with them. Calradia will tremble before us, I tell you!

Back
Top Bottom