Warband Script Enhancer (WSE) For Dummies

Users who are viewing this thread

Suminagashi

Veteran
Sad news guys: Warband is version 1.154 and WSE, which only supports up to 1.153, is no longer being developed. :sad:
cmpxchg8b said:
cmpxchg8b said:
v3.1.5
- Fixed scene_set_* operations not working
- Added missile_remove_on_hit operation

This is likely to be the last release by me; I no longer have the time nor motivation to continue developing WSE.
If somebody wants to carry it forward, I can give him access to the source code and some help in understanding it - PM me for more info. However please avoid doing so unless you are confident you can take on this kind of project; i.e. you already understand how it works, you can code in C++, you know the basics of x86 assembly and the internals of programs compiled with Visual Studio (mostly calling conventions).
Most of the info below is now more or less useless unless someone else picks up working on WSE or if you specifically use Warband version 1.143 or 1.153.

Welcome to Shogun - Sengoku Jidai. If you're here, you must either be curious what Warband Script Enhancer is, or why you can't get the mod to work correctly. First, know that in the next version of Shogun that WSE is required to play the mod. WSE allows for more flexibility with scripting a Warband mod, and from what I've read, bears no drawbacks when using, so you may as well just use it to load up Warband every time you play. I do not claim to know everything about WSE, nor do I know how to fix any issues you may believe it to be giving you. If you need any more information on Warband Script Enhancer itself, be sure to check out the official page for it.

I can understand WoYo-Sensei's frustration with people who cannot understand how to use WSE, especially after he's stated how to do so several times. In bold. And all caps. Thanks for making this thread a sticky WoYo-Sensei. I hope it helps alleviate some stress for you, as well as some confused individuals trying to play the mod. So without further ado...

NOTE: PLEASE be sure that both Mount & Blade: Warband and Shogun - Sengoku Jidai are fully up-to-date. Warband on Steam should update automatically. If you are not using Steam, get version 1.153 here (full install) or patch an older version (1.1 or newer) to it with this. You can get the latest Shogun patch here. Extract the patch into the "\Modules\Shogun - Sengoku Jidai" folder and replace everything prompted to be replaced. You'll of course need the full install of Shogun from here before the update patch will do anything. If none of the above links work for whatever reason, you can (usually) get Mount & Blade: Warband files here (although for some reason right now it is only listing up to version 1.134) and Shogun - Sengoku Jidai files here. Also, due to the FileSonic mirrors being broken, I've compiled a list of the alternative download locations available. Please let me know if the following list of links has any downloads which no longer work, aside from those I've labeled as "unavailable."
Main Mod Files:
FileSonic provided by WoYo-Sensei (No longer available)
M&B Repository provided by WoYo-Sensei
Unibytes provided by lekseus (Appears to be unavailable for United States)
Game Front provided by OLT_Grandmaster_farferon (Full install, including patch!)
Wuala provided by Suminagashi

Patch 1 Files:
FileSonic provided by WoYo-Sensei (No longer available)
RapidShare provided by Dansk viking (No longer available)
MediaFire provided by nguyenlamlll
Unibytes provided by lekseus (Appears to be unavailable for United States)
Wuala provided by Suminagashi
MediaFire provided by unknown uploader

NOTE: You DO need to download WSE from here. WoYo-Sensei has included WSE within the Shogun - Sengoku Jidai files, in a folder appropriately named "WSE Files." However, the version of WSE included within Shogun is outdated and does not work with Warband 1.153, so don't use that one.

NOTE: If you are using a 32-bit operating system, Warband will be installed in "C:\Program Files\" by default. If you are using a 64-bit operating system, Warband will be installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\" by default. If you installed to a custom location, you had darn well better know where you put it.

NOTE: I am using Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and the following file paths and actions reflect that. If you are using a different operating system, the names and wording of some things may differ. Use that noggin of yours to find a similar way to do what you came here for.

M&B Warband for Steam

[list type=decimal]
[*]Download the latest version of Warband Script Enhancer from this page; it should be the first link under the "Downloads" section for Warband 1.153.

[*]Find where you have downloaded the file to. It should be named something like "WSE v3.1.3.zip" or something similar if it is a version newer than that.
Copy the .zip archive file.

[*]Next, go in My Computer and navigate your way to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mountblade warband\
Paste the archive into that area.

[*]Right click the archive and select "Extract Here." The option you need to click may vary in name if you use an archiving program other than WinRAR. If prompted to overwrite files from a previous version of WSE, click "Yes to All."

[*]Now look for a file named "WSELoader.exe" and either make a shortcut of it and place it on your desktop or in your Start Menu, or you can also manually add the program to your Steam games list as a non-steam game, then rename it as something like "Mount & Blade: Warband WSE" so it'll be easy to find in your games list. I did that and it works just fine.
  • To make a shortcut of the WSE executable, simply right click it, mouse over "Send To," and click "Dekstop (create shortcut)." Alternatively, you can right click the file, click "Create Shortcut," and drag or cut/paste the newly created shortcut to where you want, be it your desktop or a Start Menu folder. To paste or move the shortcut into the Start Menu, right click your Start button, select "Open All Users," find where you want to place it, and do so.
  • To make a shortcut to play Warband using WSE in your Steam games list, click "Games" at the top of your Steam window.
    • Select "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library..." Chances are good the WSE program will not show up in the generated program list. To find it, click on "BROWSE..." and navigate your way to:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mountblade warband\
    • Select "WSELoader.exe" and click "Open." Warband Script Enhancer should now be in your Steam games list, but I highly recommend finding it and renaming it. To do so, right click it in your Steam games list and select "Properties."
    • Below where you choose an icon for it and above the Target path, there is a field to name the shortcut. I personally use and suggest using "Mount & Blade: Warband WSE" (without the quotes) so it will be moved directly below your normal Warband launcher in the list.

[*]From now on, any time you want to run M&B Warband, be sure to use your WSE shortcut instead of your normal Warband shortcut. Enjoy!
[/list]

Non-Steam M&B Warband

[list type=decimal]
[*]Download the latest version of Warband Script Enhancer from this page; it should be the first link under the "Downloads" section for Warband 1.153.

[*]Find where you have downloaded the file to. It should be named something like "WSE v3.1.3.zip" or something similar if it is a version newer than that.
Copy the .zip archive file.

[*]Next, go in My Computer and navigate your way to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade Warband\
Paste the archive into that area.

[*]Right click the archive and select "Extract Here." The option you need to click may vary in name if you use an archiving program other than WinRAR. If prompted to overwrite files from a previous version of WSE, click "Yes to All."

[*]Now look for a file named "WSELoader.exe," make a shortcut of it, and place it on your desktop or in your Start Menu. To make a shortcut of the WSE executable, simply right click it, mouse over "Send To," and click "Dekstop (create shortcut)." Alternatively, you can right click the file, click "Create Shortcut," and drag or cut/paste the newly created shortcut to where you want, be it your dekstop or a Start Menu folder. To paste or move the shortcut into the Start Menu, right click your Start button, select "Open All Users," find where you want to place it, and do so.

[*]From now on, any time you want to run M&B Warband, be sure to use your WSE shortcut instead of your normal Warband shortcut. Enjoy!
[/list]

Troubleshooting

Q: The game won't start and I am receiving the following message: "You are running an unsupported version of Warband. The Warband Script Enhancer only supports version 1.153." I have Warband fully updated to 1.153, so what gives?
A: Usually this error message is the result of using a cracked or modified version of Warband. If this is the case for you, I highly suggest you purchase a legal copy. Warband is a great game and Tale Worlds could use your business. If you are wanting to give the game a try for free before making a purchase, there is a demo available on Steam. All that aside, there have been multiple reports of people who are having this error despite having a legal and unmodified Warband executable, and have allegedly installed WSE and everything else correctly; IF you believe this to be true for you, then I'm sorry to say that I do not currently have an answer or solution. Awaiting further information...

Q: When launching WSE the following error shows up: "Failed to create remote load library thread." What do I do?
A: Unfortunately I don't currently know what the deal is with this one either. Someone has claimed that running "WSELoader.exe" as an Administrator will remedy the problem, while another has said that this did not work. Awaiting further information...

Q: When I run WSE, it closes a short while later and nothing happens. What's wrong?
A: Under normal circumstances, WSE will run the normal Warband launcher before it closes itself. If you are experiencing this problem and use avast! Antivirus, you'll need to add "WSELoader.exe" to avast!'s AutoSandbox exception list. To do this, open the avast! Antivirus interface, go to AutoSandbox under ADDITIONAL PROTECTION and click on the Settings button. Find and add "WSELoader.exe" to the list of files to be excluded. Alternatively, the problem may be solved by disabling AutoSandbox entirely. If you do not use avast! Antivirus and are experiencing the problem, then maybe something else is interfering with WSE. I've never heard of anyone having this problem and only experienced this myself after updating avast! some time ago.

Q: Shogun mod runs very poorly even though Native and other Warband mods run fine on my computer. I have even tried turning all graphic settings to a minimum. Is this normal?
A: Sort of, yes. Shogun uses many large models which are either very detailed and pushing the envelope so to speak, or are poorly optimized; I'm not sure which. The fact remains that Shogun will be more resource-intensive than most other mods. While not a WSE-related question, there may possibly be a WSE-related solution... it won't make everything smooth as silk but it could theoretically help a little. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mountblade warband" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade Warband" if you don't use Steam) and open "wse_settings.ini" with Notepad. Under [memory_optimizer], change enabled = 0 to enabled = 1. If you wish, you can also change the threshold value to something else as well. Please note that this setting is experimental and to use it at your own risk. I personally enabled it but left the threshold at 500 MB and thought that Shogun ran slightly better, but it could just be a placebo effect.

Q: My problem isn't listed here. Help!
A: First, that's not a question. :wink: Second, there are a number of things to do. Be sure that you have followed the WSE instructions carefully and correctly. If you have the time, see if your problem or a solution was mentioned already on any of this thread's pages. Feel free to post your exact problem below if you still require help or information, although I will very likely not have anything of significance to say to help you, and will instead suggest that you politely ask cmpxchg8b (WSE's creator) in his own WSE thread for answers. When explaining your problem to me and especially to cmpxchg8b, be clear and specific what your problem is and when it is happening. Lastly, if you are having some sort of WSE-related problem, you could always try updating WSE itself. While updating WSE may or may not solve your problem(s), it certainly cannot hurt.

Just say if you need a better explanation or clarification. ...Although if you still don't understand you may be beyond help.  :roll:

Thank you Darwin and lolwarrior for confirming the install directory of non-Steam based copies of Warband.

Thank you :smile:
And Warband doesn`t have to be as a Steam version. Can be non-Steam as well and it`s working perfect.

Thank you manekemaan, I got it running now, wasn't this simple? None of this ruckus would had happened if this simple explanation had been provided when asked, thanks again

Me said:
If you are NOT using Steam, you'll have to dig around and find the proper directory yourself. If anyone can provide an accurate filepath for this I'm sure folks would appreciate it. In the meantime... I would assume it to be somewhere like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mount&Blade Warband
Please, if an owner of a non-Steam M&B Warband could verify the installed directory of Warband and correct me, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to edit my post to make it easier to follow but it makes more sense to me to have a definite answer first.

Default path is C:\Program Files\Mount&Blade Warband\ and those who have chosen a different path probably are too intelligent for this "tutorial"...

Thanks guys. I did a major edit so even the biggest dummy can follow it. Hopefully I didn't overdo all the formatting but I figure it'll help visual learners.

Ive copied and pasted the WSE FIles to Common>Mount and blade warband
and ive tried running  WSELoader
and it says could not find mb_warband_dedicated_exe
help? :L

I looked in the official WSE thread and happened to see someone say they had a similar-sounding error. Unfortunately I did not see any info on what the problem is or how to solve it. All I saw was that the problem might have something to do with Steam. Sorry, I really don't know what the deal is.

So is this doesnt work with version 1.142 cause i have tried running it and it says you running version other than 1.143 which is not supportable.

Naves Blade said:
So is this doesnt work with version 1.142 cause i have tried running it and it says you running version other than 1.143 which is not supportable.

*Facepalm

It works for everyone else connecting to servers..

Wolf.

I hope its fixed before our little Shogun war event thing kicks off :S Im The son of the father of the Oda clan XD not good bro not good :L

Back
Top Bottom