Author Topic: Regarding the problems with the naval battles  (Read 2109 times)

Phaiak

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • WB
Regarding the problems with the naval battles
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
Idibil has asked me to take a look at the problems some people have in naval battles.
I was away for 2 weeks and have just tested the new 1.35: it did work for me!
But some people had problems, and I will try to figure out the cause. If the people read their own posts please tell at first if you have newest warband and newest brytwalda.
I did notice something odd though, as soon as the battle began I got the message you usually get after a victory, I could keep leaving only to return to the battle. ...
Additionally when I only had a party of three, made up of me and two companions, I failed to spawn a ship in a battle and me and my fellows spawned dead in the water below . . .
Whenever I get into a naval battle I don't do anything and it says I won but then it goes back to the pre-battle screen and no body has died also sometimes the ships just go forward and backward and don't listen when I tell them to go forward and attack
I enter the battle, immediatly the battle won message pops up, i tab out and get the msg "You have retreated", with no losses on both sides. Then i am stuck at the combat screen again, when i enter again i start under water and all my men drown.
This is a hard one. I need information if anybody else has the red text.
I've been playing under 1.35 and my naval combat works until you try to board, then the boats slam together and I always fall off and get knocked out, so I just avoid naval battles all together but pirates are such good loot/prisoners. If you guys figure out how to get this working, it will be worth the trouble.
Added some screens of the problem,
(click to show/hide)
This is how it looks whenever two ships board
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Something wrong with sea battles. When ships collide they begin to "jump" in opposit directions. There was no such a bug in 1.34 :(
BUT THERE ARE ALSO POSTS LIKE THIS:
Weird, naval combat works fine for me in the newest release.  Worked in the first release of 1.35 also.  Commands work, no messages saying that the battle is over.  There is a risk of falling off the ship if you aren't careful, but this seems realistic to me.
Naval combat also works fine for me and i would hate to see it go.

Question for me is: Why does it work for some people but fail for other? I would like to hear from people with bugs here. Additional: Try the new custom battle of brytwalda. It is naval-combat. If you have problem in singleplayer, try the naval combat in custom battle. Post your experience.

cascinova

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the problems with the naval battles
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:01 PM »
I had my first naval battle in 1.35 yesterday.  It all went well at first, other than the message about winning, as soon as the battle screen opened.  Anyway , we sailed to meet the enemy.  As soon as one of my ships collided with the enemy ship it glitched to hell.  My ship sailed away at light speed and the enemy ship also seemed to disappear, and then a bunch of men drowned and others were left floating in the air. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:46:35 PM by cascinova »

Gasket

• Knight
  • England lives!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
All of the problems I encountered were present in the latest versions. I didn't experience the seemingly common collision bug, but I spawned once without a boat and died and also experienced a glitch where you are told that you have won the battle before it has even begun.

NOTE: I've just tried the custom battles and have encountered no issues, my problems seem to lie in the actual game itself.

I think that those who have encountered no issues have not been in many naval battles, some can work without any problems but they do pop up far too often.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:44:39 PM by Gasket »
Nationalism is the simple and natural belief, that all good political ideologies must possess as a premise a desire to  preserve a tangible people bound together by culture, heritage and a shared ancestry. It can not be understood via a particular formula or probed from the outside, but must be experienced first hand as with love or any other potent emotion. Through the nation-state all diversity, progress and security is derived.

Culnarion

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:46:34 PM »
I have massive problems with it, but I use Battlesizer, with about 300-400 people running around.

Maybe that is it?

cascinova

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
I also have battlesizer set at 400. perhaps that was also the cause.

Gasket

• Knight
  • England lives!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
I haven't been using battlesizer, the problems still occur if you're only using ten men.
Nationalism is the simple and natural belief, that all good political ideologies must possess as a premise a desire to  preserve a tangible people bound together by culture, heritage and a shared ancestry. It can not be understood via a particular formula or probed from the outside, but must be experienced first hand as with love or any other potent emotion. Through the nation-state all diversity, progress and security is derived.

saxon80

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
latest warband and brytenwalda version used, it was the first naval encounter i have tried in the 1.35(yeah, the one from the 31st) version. After that i stayed away from naval combat. I will try to replicate it again and make some screenshots(maybe tomorrow).

Uffa

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »
I have the newest warband, and I think i have Brytenwalda 1.35 the one before you removed freelancer? hard to tell since its the same version number but I don't know if that should effect naval combat. I always have the same issue every battle where the boats attach and move back and forth at lightspeed and then dissappear. And those people floating in mid air are the result, im not really sure what the red text is, doesn't happen every time. Also couldn't find naval battles in Custom, so i couldn't test it.  --- Cool, yea tested custom and it worked... the boat handled a bit differently aswell a little harder to steer, but boarding worked fine for a change. Don't use battlesizer either.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:58:19 PM by Uffa »

Gasket

• Knight
  • England lives!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
I have the newest warband, and I think i have Brytenwalda 1.35 the one before you removed freelancer? hard to tell since its the same version number but I don't know if that should effect naval combat. I always have the same issue every battle where the boats attach and move back and forth at lightspeed and then dissappear. And those people floating in mid air are the result, im not really sure what the red text is, doesn't happen every time. Also couldn't find naval battles in Custom, so i couldn't test it.

No matter what you select you seem to end up in naval battles, just choose a standard map and you'll end up in one.

deathsmotto

• Recruit
  • All war is deception - Sun Tzu
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: DeathsMotto
  • WB
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »
I today had my first naval battle  (btw its pretty cool the way its designed) and i also got the winning error

HOWEVER... i simply ignored it and attacked the pirates and killed them, thus winning :D

I believe some people claim not to move because they do not unfurl their sails (press ENTER on keyboard) and then try and control the ship and simply get close enough to board.

cpkuntz

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
I was quoted among the people for whom naval battles are working fine.  However, I have since run into the problem of ships trying to board an enemy vessel while still too far away, which causes the ship to rocket across the map at high speeds, sometimes jumping back and forth, as it tries to land on the enemy.  I think this is a problem related to the number of ships in the battle.

When I have small battles - like one ship versus one ship, everything works fine.  No problems.  Some people fall during boarding, but it seems realistic.  When I have battles with three ships or more, the CPU might have difficulty and the algorithm causes various events to take place at different speeds.  Thus, for example, the ships try to board too soon and causes them to launch across the sea towards the enemy, but the men still move at a normal pace and so are launched off the ship, falling to death.  One solution to this is to not try to board the enemy until you are very close to that enemy.  Get close, then push the "K" button to try to board.  Do not have "Try to board" on while you are still far away.

I will probably just not engage in naval battles unless I have 50 men or less.  More men I can transport without running into pirates anyway, since I outnumber them and they don't want to fight.  So overall, unless you like fleet battles, the system works fine as it is.  A bit of tweaking to lessen the problem with fleet battles would be good, of course, but if it can't be made to work then I think the system is okay as long as people only go into small battles.

At least, this is my experience.  Perhaps others have problems with small naval battles, too.

cascinova

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
The multiple ships sounds like the issue when I attacked I had 3 ships and got the bug also.

JHaukewood

• Squire
  • I know the Walrus. You, sir, are not the Walrus.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • M&BWB
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm having every one of these issues. No splitting of Dena skulls for me... :(

aodhanofgael

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WB
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:50:29 PM »
just bring down the battle size to 50

Gottschalk

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • WBNW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »
instead of hitting K to tell it to board. just run your ship into theirs and it will board automatically.