1860s - Historical Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Confederate sharpshooters used the Kentucky Rifle. This is an example of how the Confederate States of America adapted hunting/sporting weapons to military use. This is an important weapon, and should be added to AHD as soon as possible.

300px-Kentucky's.jpg

Sharpshooter Weaponry

Kentucky Rifle - Confederate
Sharps Rifle - Union

Bayonets were rarely applied to these weapons, as they were both mainly used for skirmishing. A combat knife or infantry sword was given to those who bore these weapons.

0708-3rd-New-Jersey-(1st-US.jpg

their hat was in fact a modified forage cap.
They called themselves the '1st US hussars'

The rest of the army called them 'the butterflies'  :mrgreen:

red-legged devils? you're sure? all zouaves regiments had red trousers
I liked the 14th, but then I read a private was given the medal of honor for shooting a civilian  :roll:

Vicccard said:
I liked the 14th, but then I read a private was given the medal of honor for shooting a civilian  :roll:
The zouave plantoons are really baggy, the 14th's trousers are not.
The 14th's uniform looks more like French chaussers. 
TrinityArse said:
Confederate sharpshooters used the Kentucky Rifle. This is an example of how the Confederate States of America adapted hunting/sporting weapons to military use. This is an important weapon, and should be added to AHD as soon as possible.

300px-Kentucky's.jpg

Sharpshooter Weaponry

Kentucky Rifle - Confederate
Sharps Rifle - Union

Bayonets were rarely applied to these weapons, as they were both mainly used for skirmishing. A combat knife or infantry sword was given to those who bore these weapons.
This is indeed correct.

Der Einzige said:
Vicccard said:
The zouave plantoons are really baggy, the 14th's trousers are not.
The 14th's uniform looks more like French chaussers. 

In the french army, all the units had red trousers. the zouaves had baggy ones.
So you are quite right.

Hello! I am thinking of starting up a regiment and I'd want to create one that is historical, and since I lack knowledge of the American Civil War, wich regiments would you suggest? Doesn't matter if it's southern or nothern.

I found:

The 2nd Wisconsin (The Iron Brigade)
The Iron Brigade was made up of soldiers from Wisconsin. They were nicknamed the Iron Brigade, because they 'stood like iron' in the face of their enemies. This unit lost 80 percent of its men at Gettysburg.

Engineer's "Civilian" uniform has bothered me since I saw it, so I did a few minutes research and reenactor rememberin'.

For the Union:
1866.jpg

unidpioneer.jpg

Pioneers/Engineers had the red trimmings on their uniforms, like the cavalry had yellow. Their insignia is two crosses hatches, some wore green 'coat'/blouse that sharpshooters wore, most wore either their Blue Uniform shirt, or a simple long sleeve shirt with the Pioneer emblem (as shown in pictures above).

For the Confederate:
No pictures here, since generally there is little information on them. However they were not dressed very differently from their Regular and Volunteer counterparts. Since most Confederate engineers weren't actually engineers at the beginning/middle of the war. So, regularish Confed uniform for them would probably be better for them, I'll keep looking and doing research, see if I can't get my hands on a book or two...

MarineX - Keep in mind the mod is still in its alpha stages, and AHD's base is AoFI, an 18th Century mod. This is precisely why the Combat Engineer's uniform has little to do with the Civil War. Nevertheless, Poomtang and the Development will look to have it updated in coming versions.

Keep frequenting this board!  :grin:

TrinityArse: Oh I know, but its bothered me none the less xP I'm just tryin' to help with anything I can, and since I can't code or program or draw to save my life... Research =D. I'm also in firm belief this is going to be one of the most awesome mods ever when its complete.

Interesting things I found on wikipedia (yes I know already):

At the beginning of the American Civil War, the United Kingdom issued a proclamation of neutrality on May 13, 1861. Nevertheless, the Confederate States of America assumed that the British would prove sympathetic, despite their negative view on slavery. Although the Confederacy attempted to provoke British intervention through cotton diplomacy, leading to failed threats of a trade embargo on "King Cotton," it was the Trent Affair in 1861, when the USS San Jacinto stopped the British civilian vessel RMS Trent and took off two Confederate diplomats named James Murray Mason and John Slidell, that almost provoked a third war between the United Kingdom and the United States. While diplomatic measures between London and Washington were ongoing, the British under Lord Palmerston began mobilizing a small militia in British North America who were unprepared in the event of a full-scale invasion of up to an estimated 200,000 soldiers in the Union Army.

The United Kingdom knew that any recognition of a sovereign and independent nation called the Confederate States would be an act of war against the United States. In addition, the United Kingdom had to take into consideration that the British economy was heavily reliant on growing trade with the United States, most notably cheap grain imports high in demand which in the event of war, would be cut off by the Americans. Third, the British knew that the United States had an indispensable European ally, the Russian Empire to help fight in a possible war against the United Kingdom. And lastly, British forces in British North America were vastly outnumbered by the Union Army which if British war tactics proved to be unsuccessful, the risk of annexation of British North America by the United States might be inevitable.

The British were content with a formal apology on behalf of the United States so that war could be averted over lingering issues revolving around the Trent Affair. Thus, Abraham Lincoln eventually relented as he did not want to fight a war on two fronts, having United States Secretary of State William H. Seward smooth matters over.

Despite outrage and intense American protests, the United Kingdom allowed the British-built CSS Alabama to leave port as a commerce raider under the naval flag of the Confederacy. After the American Civil War ended in 1865, the United Kingdom abided by the terms of the Treaty of Washington outlined by an arbitration of an international tribunal in 1871, thus paying $15.5 million in gold to the United States for the destruction caused by the CSS Alabama, while admitting no guilt.[20]

"After the American Civil War ended in 1865, the United Kingdom abided by the terms of the Treaty of Washington outlined by an arbitration of an international tribunal in 1871, thus paying $15.5 million in gold to the United States for the destruction caused by the CSS Alabama, while admitting no guilt"

The other option was, that Canada should become a state of USA.
Imagine when the tribunal would had given USA the territory of Canada... :grin:

MarineX said:
For the Confederate:
No pictures here, since generally there is little information on them. However they were not dressed very differently from their Regular and Volunteer counterparts. Since most Confederate engineers weren't actually engineers at the beginning/middle of the war. So, regularish Confed uniform for them would probably be better for them, I'll keep looking and doing research, see if I can't get my hands on a book or two...

Because the most Confederate regiments didn't had official uniforms,they
brought clothing,weaponry etc etc etc from home :wink:

Smissen said:

Well yea, that's why the first few months had Confeds in Union Blue's, old Mex-Amer War uniforms, and in one case a unit dressed in what was worn during the War of 1812. That's why I said "not very differently" and "regularish", as in standard tans and grays xP.

Smissen said:
So,depending your words it would like have been:

General Robert E. Lee: "Listen up folks,we are all going to wear Union and Mexican-American uniforms or GTFO"
195788_223755960981870_7476147_n.jpg

Radetzky said:
I did a little research of CSA Engineers

Uniforms%20CSA%20Engineer.jpg

Colonel
GenOffCS.JPG

The middle one is major of engineers (nice bicorn, eh? :grin: )
http://hartsengineers.com/
Some reenactment here

CoETintype02.jpg

Here are some Confed Engineer reenactors.

George A. Custer said:
I really can't see the difference with normal inf, xD
care to explain maybe? :smile:

officers were trained engineers, but the soldiers were just normal men, who did the hard work

Radetzky said:
George A. Custer said:
I really can't see the difference with normal inf, xD
care to explain maybe? :smile:
If am I right and if you mean uniforms, difference is just in Officers, as different kepi for colonel and major has bicorn.

For the most part, that is correct.

Back
Top Bottom