[AAR] Land of the Crows

Users who are viewing this thread

DamienTomasi

Veteran
I am inspired by Vadermath's work, and started to wrote my story ever since, hope you all enjoy it.

Chapter 1: For The Sake of Honor and Glory

The morning sunlight swept over the so-called land of Calradia, making a warm turn over the misty and cold night, one man stand over the beach, Harald , cannot sleep, thinking about his son, on duty for King Ragnar. He has been told that the Swadian army make their way through Jelbegi pass to the Dagron riverbank, where King Ragnar's army set their camp. In about an hour, Harald will go to the Dagron to see what happens himself.

It has been the third year of war for the Nord and Swadia, King Ragnar himself saw this opportunity to seek new land over the Plain of Calradia, both has seen defeats and victories, Jelbegi pass has been a graveyard for both the Swadia and the Norse, but, a few months ago, Jelbegi has fallen to the Swadia, and King Harlaus' army is marching towards the Norse so-called capital, Sargoth, King Ragnar anticipate it by setting defense over the Dagron riverbank, hoping that the entrenchment could win the battle for him.

In about an hour, Harald will arrive at King Ragnar's camp at the Dagron riverbank to check his son, as he slowly crawl over the hill on the darkness, he saw a massive lights that blind his eyes for moments, then he saw what really happens, torches and flaming arrows are flying towards the camp, he is shocked, not knowing what to do.

Hours by hours he spent watching as the Dagron filled up with bloods from both Norse and the Swadia, the earth trembles as the Swadian cavalry step into the battle, sweeping the Norse infantry below them. Harald can only watch the Norseman slaughtered, after a full 3 hours of battle, some Norsemen fled the battlegrounds, running towards Harald position, he saw a young man, with bloods all over his face, with a few men behind him.

"The Swadian has the best of us today, but don't be disappointed, lad, tomorrow, we will strike victory, for the sake of honor, for the sake of this land, I swear to all of you, we will strike victory!" Ragnar is full of anger, watching towards the horizon, seeing the rising smoke of his defeat as he says it.

For now....... what is the meaning of victory, if we can't even live.... Olaf can only lays on the ground, resting his mind and body from the tiring bloodshed he just surpassed.

"I am of a common birth, my liege, how can you appoint me as your right hand, if I'm only of common birth, there are many more men that have further knowledge than me" To this, Ragnar laughed heartily, reaching Olaf's shoulder as he said

"I can only saw one thing from you, my young man Olaf, it is courage, courage that nobody can match, surely we are far from home now, rest for now, my friend, we are going tomorrow" Ragnar walks to a corner, preparing straws for him to sleep.

We'll see what's going on tomorrow, my liege, we'll see

Olaf was just a son of a fisherman, he would never wants to be one of the King most trusted man, he is eager to seek work in the bustling town of Sargoth, clearing his throat with ale from a hard-earned Denars, he can only seek refuge inside the tavern, while the world were passing right in front of his eyes.

Three weeks after his arrival at Sargoth, the local manhunter recruit him as one of them, hunting bandits for Denars, day by day he hunted for bandits, he quickly gains wealth and has enough money to recruit his own men, he left the manhunter band and started his own, hunting bandits still for Denars. He quickly gains renown among the guild master, moreover, among the nobles of the Norse.

King Ragnar held a meeting with the nobles, to find out the best recruit they can find for the king, one of the nobles, quickly recommend Olaf to be recruited, he saw Olaf fighting bravely against the marauding bands of bandits, the king looks quiet satisfied by Olaf, he is able to take on weapons, even the heaviest one. When the king set his camp at the Dagron to confront the Swadia, Olaf was rarely to left his side, he became the King's most trusted men, even with things he would never trust with his former right hand.

"Fasten your pace, young man, we are not going anywhere unless you hurry up!" as he says it, Ragnar gallops his horse, sitting firmly on the saddle, his mind feel sure that Sargoth is not yet sieged by the Swadian.

"My liege, isn't it is dangerous?, riding towards Sargoth, with a chance of those Swadian sieging it?" both Olaf and Ragnar gallops their horse, they are near to home in Sargoth.

"Could you feel the wind, Olaf?, they are with us, this is a good sign, the gods are with us, hail them Olaf, and be assured that nobody can hold you off!" Ragnar has been an excellent morale raiser among men, this is not an extraordinary case, men has fought for him to their death. He feel that every man is the same, he feel that he is just like everyone else, just a commoner, King is just his nickname.

In about an hour, they will arrive at Sargoth, seeing the truth in front of their eyes.

If god ever protect us............ this is the time........... God, help us all

Ragnar and Olaf is galloping their horses towards Sargoth, where they will rest and raise more men, galloping until they saw the Sargoth's very wall, they saw a sight that was very shocking.

[end of chapter 1]

its a nice story, I did not dare and not confident to make a long and good story with my minim English language...hihihi :mrgreen: :cool:
congratulations DamienTomasi

Alan De Soison said:
its a nice story, I did not dare and not confident to make a long and good story with my minim English language...hihihi :mrgreen: :cool:
congratulations DamienTomasi

haha, thanks alan

stay tuned for updates

DamienTomasi said:
updated, chapter 1 is finished

I love this part :grin:
"Could you feel the wind, Olaf?, they are with us, this is a good sign, the gods are with us, hail them Olaf, and be assured that nobody can hold you off!" Ragnar has been an excellent morale raiser among men, this is not an extraordinary case, men has fought for him to their death. He feel that every man is the same, he feel that he is just like everyone else, just a commoner, King is just his nickname.

Just suggestion, When Ragnar said "nobody can hold you off!", remove the.... i don't know the english of tanda seru :mrgreen:
So, Reader will imaging when Ragnar say that like in Heroes & Villain Film Spartacus Edition when the Spartacus say "Long time ago, We Died for Roman. And tomorrow, May be we will die, but we die for ourself. That.. Is.. Freedom..", It was very good morale raiser word i think  :grin:

13exa said:
DamienTomasi said:
updated, chapter 1 is finished

I love this part :grin:

Just suggestion, When Ragnar said "nobody can hold you off!", remove the.... i don't know the english of tanda seru :mrgreen:
So, Reader will imaging when Ragnar say that like in Heroes & Villain Film Spartacus Edition when the Spartacus say "Long time ago, We Died for Roman. And tomorrow, May be we will die, but we die for ourself. That.. Is.. Freedom..", It was very good morale raiser word i think  :grin:

it's has been said, i don't want my reader confused, so i wont change it :mrgreen:

Hi!, my AAR progress has been very slow, and now I decide to update it

Chapter 2 : Banner of our Fathers

Ragnar and Olaf  gallop their horse towards Sargoth, hoping to resupply and gather a new army, they already saw Sargoth's banner when suddenly they saw hundreds of tents, some of them with Swadian banner

"So, they are sieging my city, huh?, lets see where this lead us" Ragnar quickly turn his horse and go for Tihr, hoping some of his Jarls will help him take back Sargoth

"We go for Tihr, tomorrow we will need to march quickly, rest now men" Ragnar fix some hay for him to sleep, and put his head onto it

I wonder where all of this thing leads to, tomorrow may never come.....at least for me.....
Olaf can only lay his head helplessly, with his sword on his chest, and his arms around it, he close his eyes slowly for the night

"Wake up, they are charging towards us!" a Norse soldier woke Olaf up, he suddenly up on his two feet and examine the surroundings, he saw that the King has already on his horse, he picks his equipment up and start running to his horse, mounting it and gallops it towards Ragnar, "Who are they?", he said in his confusion, "Don't you see?, a bunch of those Swadian fool are attacking us" Ragnar slides his sword from it's scabbard and charge towards some Swadian footman, Olaf follow him from behind, with some more men following him

It goes on for 10 minutes, Ragnar's horse is drained with blood, not to mention his sword, and parts of his face. Olaf himself manage to kill some, they leave the corpse and start to head towards Tihr. By the end of the day, they manage to get to Tihr, Ragnar quickly set off to the castle, while Olaf go to the tavern and fix him some meals. It was quiet late when he leave the tavern, and quickly go to the castle. Inside he can see Ragnar with some of the Jarls, Ragnar has encouraged them to join forces, but before even attacking the Swadian army, they need to raise a big enough army, hopefully to win their battle.

Olaf was left to take care of the recruitment and training, he spent his day running from villages to villages, and in the weekend, he trains them. The Swadian can have our cold steels..... by the end of the day, we will emerge victory

Ragnar feels more kingly in this than I have ever seen elsewhere. I like it!

The lost battle really works well for the story. Ragnar having so few troops left does a great deal to explain his personal relationship with Olaf.

thanks for the compliment, it has been a major boost for me to update thr AAR

[chapter 2 continue here]

The army, gathered from Ragnar's own forces, also his Jarls', was determined enough to strike the Swadian force in Sargoth, Tihr and Sargoth were just hours away, and even without horses, the army can move fast enough to get there on time. Olaf was at Ragnar's tent, in the army encampment just outside of Tihr. "It is best to flank them, my lord,we already know what their cavalry can do to our soldiers in the Dagron, I do not wish it to happen here"

"You are mostly right, however, where can we go to flank them? It is possible if we go to the western territories by ship, but that will cost more than our money" Ragnar was highly determined to win the battle, even if it involve thinking of strategy

"We have no other choice, we need to win this battle with the lowest casualties as possible, I suggest landing the flanking force in the village of Ambean, from there, we will march on to Sargoth" one of his Jarls add to the discussion

"For this, we will need two forces, the first one to confront them frontally, while the others flank them, I suggest dividing the army would do best" Ragnar came up with an idea, and soon agreed by his jarls, Olaf seemed satisfied with the decision

The army left the camp, Olaf were assigned as a captain in the main force, to confront the Swadian
To Sargoth we march, firm and eager, and with the Banners of Our Father, waving furiously above us, we surely can't lose

[end of chapter 2]

I am definitely enjoying the personality of Ragnar. The phrase "even if it involved thinking of strategy" cracked me up. I can totally see a Nord warlord (particularly Ragnar who desposed Lethwin for being too academic) resenting the planning and thought that was needed.

Damien, You must be make a novel from this  :shock:
When I read your AAR's Second Chapter, It just I can imagine some Jarl with the huge table, map in the table, Ragnar is presents his strategy. I just feel like I read a epic novel  :grin:

Bring It On, Mate  :grin:

hey!, been a while since I post here
my Warband, and all the saved game, has recently been lost (yes, I decided to format my computer)
and in the meantime, I'm trying too open a new game and making a scenario that look exactly, if not, similar to this one i've been writing

:grin: Damien

Back
Top Bottom