Bandwidth Limiting

Users who are viewing this thread

Ebin

Sergeant Knight at Arms
So in the house we have this problem. We have two people whom torrent all day and keep everyone else off the internet pretty much. Now, the Internet is in one of their names and the wireless router/modem (Whichever is the one which transmits the data, I get the two confused) is in mine. I can kick them off the internet (But of course they'd catch on eventually and get a new router) so is there anyway I can limit their bandwidth with software? It's a Belkin router which offers a QoS service which pushes 5 Kb/s out for everyone else. Unless I did it wrong.

**FIXED**

In the Belkin QoS settings there is an 'Edit' button next to the profile selection. Naturally I assumed this meant that if you wanted to edit that profile you pressed the 'Edit" button after you selected the profile. No, it brings up a screen which allows you to assign the percentage values guaranteed to the priority values. It also allows you to enter the actual amount of bandwidth you are dealing with. It's default is the Maximum capacity of the router (973 MBS) which considering the internet is only running at about 600 Kb/s, the default 10% is still quite a lot more than what is actually there.

Hmm, tricky one, since the broadband account isn't registered in your name. Only thing I could think of doing is blocking their IPs during certain hours and then allowing them access during off-peak times.

(Alternatively, everybody knows that torrents [being often very illegal and suspicious and I do not approve of them in any way, shape or form] are often riddled with viruses. Perhaps a few well-placed virus/trojan infections would convince your broadband-mates of the error of their ways).

Regardless, here in the UK, broadband companies limit connection speeds during peak hours, giving preference to gaming, voice/video chat and messages. File-sharing is relegated to the second tier and given less bandwidth. People who regularly file share large quantities are sometimes penalised.

I'm going into the IT field so I'm usually their first call whenever they do get viruses from torrenting. Happens consistently but they never stop. They just assume that they can download another firewall/antivirus and they're safe. Quite frankly one of them has 6 firewalls and 4 anti-viruses running 24/7 and they still keep getting viruses which require hard wipes due to the inability for windows to operate even after the virus has been removed.

Pierce Elliot said:
...they still keep getting viruses which require hard wipes due to the inability for windows to operate even after the virus has been removed.

Maybe next time, Windows won't be so reinstallable after the hard-wipe.

If you know what I'm saying.

That would buy me a few days. However, the Guy hasn't even looked at his bank in years and usually never spends anything albeit he works in the industry field and usually works 40+ hours of overtime at a very high pay rate. He'd just go out and buy a new one. Now do you see my problem? I have people who have vast amount of resources and tons of patience but no consideration for others! I only want to limit their bandwidth to like 200 Kb/s since we have a 600 Kb/s total bandwidth, that's being rather generous too (Excluding the part where it's his internet, but it's my router).

Only thing I can think to do is get your own internet.

With beer, and blackjack, and hookers.

You and the sensible folk(s) use yours, and the greedy leaches use the other guy's. If you can afford it, of course.

I can, and we tried to do that and split the bill. Problem is, the only ISP's that would provide service for our area say that they can replace the current ISP with their interwebz but cannot be ran simultaneously with the competition.

Block torrent port.
Fixed.

Really though, check the router documentation. Some of the better Belkin gear lets you throttle or prioritise traffic. You'd probably need to set up static routes to do anything meaningful however.

They're using Azures. I blocked the port, it simply changed the port it was using. I blocked all commonly used ports for P2P and Azures still changed to a different port which wasn't blocked. The Router does allow me to Prioritise traffic - however, as said before it now allows 5 kb/s to all those with higher priority than the original none.  Also, how do I set up static routes?

Back
Top Bottom