Hard Disk help needed

Users who are viewing this thread

RogueHunter

Squire
I ran the S.M.A.R.T feature on speed fan since it sometimes freezes and some software won't open and what it said about my drive is below,any solution?

Your hard disk is a WDC WD6400BEVT-22A0RT0 with firmware 01.01A01.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 40C (MIN=27C MAX=54C) and yours is 44C.
Your hard disk's S.M.A.R.T. attributes are now being analyzed and a full report about the reliability, health and status of your hard disk is generated:
Your hard disk is not below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk was never below any attribute threshold. This is good.
Your hard disk is now being compared to real data used to define normal values for your specific hard disk model. This way, the analysis can automatically use proper operating ranges. The images give you an idea of how each attribute is within such range. Current and raw values are shown for easier reference for experienced users. There are 3001 hard disk models in the current archive.

Attribute                     Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 200           0 Very good
Spin Up Time                 185         1750        Very good
Start/Stop Count         83         17974 Good
Reallocated Sector Count 200           0 Very good
Seek Error Rate         100           0 Normal
Power On Hours Count 95         3684 Normal
Spin Retry Count         100           0 Very good
Calibration Retry Count 100           0 Very good
Power Cycle Count         100         742 Very good
Power Off Retract Count 200         68 Very good
Load Cycle Count         75   376515 Normal
Reallocated Event Count 200         0 Very good
Current Pending Sector 199         174 Watch
Warning: Current Pending Sector is below the average limits (200-200).

Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 100 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200           0 Very good
Write Error Rate         200           0 Very good

NOTE: not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships.

NOTE : your hard disk has 174 pending sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

The overall fitness for this drive is 61%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

Reallocated Event Count
The raw value of this attribute shows the total number of attempts to transfer data from reallocated sectors to a spare area. Unsuccessful attempts are counted as well as successful.

the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sector

If I read that output right, the number of bad sectors is still below the limit your HDD can manage (200). That means the HDD should be able to fix itself with something like chkdsk , but do a backup first, as any file located in those sectors will probably become corrupted. Then, run SMART again to check if all went right.

Danath said:
Reallocated Event Count
The raw value of this attribute shows the total number of attempts to transfer data from reallocated sectors to a spare area. Unsuccessful attempts are counted as well as successful.

the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sector

If I read that output right, the number of bad sectors is still below the limit your HDD can manage (200). That means the HDD should be able to fix itself with something like chkdsk , but do a backup first, as any file located in those sectors will probably become corrupted. Then, run SMART again to check if all went right.

This.

my games are in f drive,would this data wipe also wipe my f drive and as soon as the wipe is done i have to format my laptop right?

What you have is two partitions in one disk, and to fix your problem you have wipe the whole disk. Probably that will include a format, and if not, better do it yourself.

Danath said:
Still you should try just a chkdsk, let SMART scan again and if that didn't work, well, enjoy and evening installing  everything :roll:

wouldn't that lead to possible data loss or something,to data wipe i need to access desktop...

Big Boss said:
Bash it with a hammer, or swing a big magnet over it, either should work.

i think i would rather bash your skull with a hammer since it seems i would quite enjoy it...

RogueHunter said:
Big Boss said:
Bash it with a hammer, or swing a big magnet over it, either should work.

i think i would rather bash your skull with a hammer since it seems i would quite enjoy it...

Don't hit too hard, a lot of people want a swing at him too.

My laptop is barely 1 year old and since yesterday it began freezing sometimes out of nowhere and when i try to scan it felt laggy,trying to start msn and some other software but it doesn't show up while it is in task management(processes) yet i am able to play games and watching movies(freezes a minute or two every 45 minutes or so while watching movies) and all of this happen while my computer is fairly strong with intel core 2 duo t6600 2.2 ghz and 4gb ram...
Sometimes moving,copying and deleting files and maps from c drive also freezes my laptop to a point i can't even move my mouse while it barely used up cpu usage and ram...
I am going to full/deep data wipe and format my laptop tomorrow to see if it will solve this problem.

I had myself an explorer.exe crash everytime I opened certain folder, but obviously since I formatted the disk to install Win7 that problem is gone

The report indicates something wrong with your HardDrive. Either this is due to old age, maybe at one point in time it ran over the recommended temperature for an extended period of time, maybe some damage, or maybe it's just a crap hard drive. Whatever the case you will continuously see more and more bad sectors being created in your hard drive to either the extent of the damage originally done or until it's full bum. But until then files, programs, all of it will suddenly start to say "Missing so-and-so" and/or one day you will turn on the computer and a system critical Windows file will be corrupt and will require a full reinstall of windows. However, if you try to use the full hard drive for reinstallation it will crash once it reaches the bad sectors. Instead you have to experiement to install windows outside the bad sectors.

Back
Top Bottom