Se Englisca þrǽd

Users who are viewing this thread

Niwan gemotode ic (unfæstlice) ymbe þone scyttisce selfdóm 7 hit wearð to Scotlandes stære 7 to his geþeodum. And ic þohte þæt ic nat hwæðer peohtas wæron wealas 7 eac bryttas, oþþe gif man bescead á dyde. Soþlice ic wat þæt Beda 7 oðere writeras þæt dydon, ac þæt frymlice andgit þæs wordes 'wealh' þa peohtas eac beacnian scolde.

Heodæg réord ic sumu béc and ǽt ic sumu ǽgru on bréade, hit wæs gód. Nóht micel, ac gód.

Weald þéah ic fylmenes háwe tó ǽfenne. Lóca hwæt, wástu?

Lá, se féa and se wéa.

Heodæg þú helpa betera mín ic þohte þæt ic nat hwæðer peohtas! Lóca réord ic sumu béc oþþe!*
*I hope I didnt insult anyones mother there.

Geostrandæg ongan ic gyt oðerre bec ymbe Iohanna þære mægðe to rædanne. :3

Hwæðre me þyht nis gyt godra boca fela ðe ic furðor rædan mæg, buton ic wille hi ungemetlice gyldan.

Ðéos fǽmne hæfþ sóðlíce þín heortan fangen, bucca. Weald þéah þú tó late boren eart. Syndrig folc finstú húru on swǽrrum tímum and foldum, ac þéostre dagas genéalǽcaþ and þú mége git swylc mægð métan. Gese léof, Éadríc wereþ his geómorgríman and séceþ gód on wolftíde.

Ðú sceoldest híe hider tó sundormétinge niman! Getréowlíce, séo andwearde méting mid hoppiendum tæglum gemǽdeþ mé. Ðence þára cildra!

Ðú wilt hí gyldan? Hwæt mǽnstú? And hwæt tácnaþ þyht hér? Ðás mé rǽdelsas sindon!

Þyht? Þyncð! Þæt wæs brægenfeorting. Ic nat hu hit gelamp. :eek:
Hi gyldan: hi (=þa [godan] bec) mid feo bycgan.

Hit is ealriht. Gif ic hie mette, witodlice hatode heo me. Me ne liciaþ noht cyngas ne Francrice (and þa is eac seo godcunde earfoðnes :razz:). Ac ic hie lufige!!!II

Git, gif hwá áwiht gylt hé þæt seleþ, ná?

And nafa sorh, ic can gód lybb wiþ brægenfeortingum. Ðæt gamele wíf þe æt Sceoccanwuda súþende eardaþ, héo gewunelíce hæfþ sum. Ac ne saga áwiht ymb hire cýcenu, oþþe þú scealt hire besman geþolian. And héo ne hæfþ tíman for spell of Frenciscum fǽmnum. God síe mid þé – þú þearft his helpan wiþ hire.

I'd love to learn old English, no idea where to begin though.

Is it the same variant of English used with runes but with a different alphabet or has it evolved to be much more different from the version of English used with runes?

Git, gif hwá áwiht gylt hé þæt seleþ, ná?
IC NE WAT. :sad:
And nafa sorh, ic can gód lybb wiþ brægenfeortingum. Ðæt gamele wíf þe æt Sceoccanwuda súþende eardaþ, héo gewunelíce hæfþ sum. Ac ne saga áwiht ymb hire cýcenu, oþþe þú scealt hire besman geþolian. And héo ne hæfþ tíman for spell of Frenciscum fǽmnum. God síe mid þé – þú þearft his helpan wiþ hire.
HL·U·HL

Þeah þu eft DMT? Þe ne gedafenaþ lybb to recanne.

mcwiggum, I don't know much about Anglo-Saxon runes, but I do know even transliterated runic texts are almost completely undecipherable for me. Since most runic inscriptions seem to be dated to the 6th and 7th centuries, while most Old English material is preserved in copies from the 11th century, regular linguistic change is largely to blame here (for an easy example, you see many endings in -ᚨ/-æ that would become -e in classical Old English), but equally important is the fact that runic inscriptions originally used pretty different spelling conventions, which obscures the matter even more.

As for where to start, Peter Baker's Electronic Introduction to Old English is probably the best online resource.

Boot mi' furthark.  :cry:
anglo_saxon_futhark.gif

1 = Feo - f
2 = Ur - u
3 = Thorn - th
4 = Os - short a
5 = Rad - r
6 = Ken - k
7 = Geofu - g
8 = Wynn - w
9 = Hagall - h
10 = Nied - n
11 = Is - i
12 = Jara - j
13 = Yr - e`
14 = Pertra - p
16 = Sigel - s
17 = Tir - t
18 = Beroc - b
19 = Eoh  e
20 = Mann - m
21 = Lagu - l
22 = Ing - ng
23 = Daeg - d
24 = Otael - o
25 = Ac - long a
15 = Eolh - r
26 = Asec - short a
27 = Yr - y
28 = Ior - io
29 = Ear - ea
30 = Cweorp - qu
31 = Calk - k
32 = Stan - st
33 = Gar - hard g
Source - http://www.englandandenglishhistory.com/

Well, you can still use the fuþorc to write late West Saxon, and it's likely that for such late uses the spelling would be more similar to the standard (especially if the Ruthwell Cross can be used as an indication), but in late Anglo-Saxon times the runes were little more than a curiosity. They were used here and there, but mostly for wordplay, as in the Runic Poem or Cynewulf's runic signature.

Never really knew why we have a thread named "The English Bread".

Anyways, you guys still play this daily? I checked out the servers 2 times and I didn't see anyone, but I'd like to play again in the near future, miss it quite a bit.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Never really knew why we have a thread named "The English Bread".

Anyways, you guys still play this daily? I checked out the servers 2 times and I didn't see anyone, but I'd like to play again in the near future, miss it quite a bit.

Well there's two events this weekend actually, both the NA and the EU shieldwall events, so the near future might be nearer than you think  :wink:

Ēalā,

Anybody still lingering around the Vikingr forums that speak in Old English? I'm a year late into developing the interest for learning Eald Englisc, but it would be totally cool if somebody knows any fantastic sources of where to begin learning OE? At least I would like the sources that actually uses the accents.

Wesaþ ġē hāl!

It seems Baker's Electronic Introduction to Old English is gone, but you can still find it here. That's the best you're going to find for free, but, contrary to the print version, it doesn't include any reading material.

At any rate, if you're interested in Old English you're going to have to do without the diacritics sooner or later.

Very nice!

Although this might be a bit off-topic, I was wondering if any of you know of similar sources for learning Old continental Saxon and/or Old Frisian.

Back
Top Bottom