Computer Overheating? Graphic card problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr Mohawk

Hello all got a problem for you to solve if you can be arsed  :lol:

I've had this computer about 5-6 years now, so you can imagine it's pretty old and battered. Recently I got a nice new graphics card off someone for free and it worked fine. It's a () in case that matters. However after installing my games my computer has gradually gotten slower, and now as it is, it's taking half an hour to load up games that used to take less than a minute.

I have attempted to clean it out, and it is pretty much free of dust (I just need to find a screwdriver small enough to remove the fan and brush away a clump of dust behind it, but that's all that remains.) and I really don't know what much else I can do.

This is where you guys come in and help me  :grin:

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Mr Mohawk said:
It's a () in case that matters.

It might be helpful if there was content in these brackets.

The make/model of the card, for example.

Sorry meant to go back and edit that.

It's a Radeon X800 GTO.

EDIT: At least I think that's what it's called :razz:

I unplugged it and checked around the graphics card. Nothing else is warm except it. I then checked the graphics cards fan. It was clogged full of dust. I didn't expect it to be so full within like 2 months of using it. Hmm. Hopefully this is what was wrong.

Try licking the heat sink if removing the dust doesn't work.

Burgass said:
Try licking the heat sink if removing the dust doesn't work.

Not sure if trolling...

*Glances at name*

Yes.

And removing the dust seems to do nothing. No one got any ideas whatsoever?  :grin:

Cowdude said:
Did you pour boiling semen in the fan yet? That seems to fix most problems.

How would it get to be boiling? From my experience, only **** can come out burning and such, but putting that into the fan only has mildly recuperative effects for the machine in question. Would you need to contract a special infection in your testicles to produce such an effect, or are you the sort of person who heats this **** up on a skillet?

Mr Mohawk said:
Hello all got a problem for you to solve if you can be arsed  :lol:

I've had this computer about 5-6 years now, so you can imagine it's pretty old and battered. Recently I got a nice new graphics card off someone for free and it worked fine. It's a () in case that matters. However after installing my games my computer has gradually gotten slower, and now as it is, it's taking half an hour to load up games that used to take less than a minute.

I have attempted to clean it out, and it is pretty much free of dust (I just need to find a screwdriver small enough to remove the fan and brush away a clump of dust behind it, but that's all that remains.) and I really don't know what much else I can do.

This is where you guys come in and help me  :grin:

I'm guessing it's something to do with the above. If you filled up your harddrive it will gradually run slower and slower until things are so defragmented and with little room to 'move' things around, the more unorganized or 'defragmented' it gets, the slower it's going to run. I recommend checking to see if the harddrive has roughly 25% or lower freespace. This of course depends on how much total space you have, but a 5-6 yr computer probably doesn't have too much space so 25% is a good place to start. If it is lower than 25% then you should remove some games or delete some stuff and get it to about 35% (Pull out the calculator) and see if there is a performance increase.

If the above criteria is not met or the results are not achieved then there might be a different issue involved. Another issue to look into is that with the new graphics card you are either pushing your PSU to the limit or you are literally bottlenecking your system resources.

Back
Top Bottom