A Frisian faction

Users who are viewing this thread

Éadric

Knight at Arms
In which I offer a modest case for a Frisian faction.

Frisians in the time around 1066
After the Frisians were defeated by the Franks in the eighth century AD, Frisia became part of the Frankish Empire (subsequently the Holy Roman Empire) and was ruled by counts and such loyal to the Emperor. Yet these counts never had much reign over the Frisians. Unlike in most other places in Europe a feudal nobility never really developed in Frisia. Instead, as inherited from old Germanic times, most of the power lay in the hands of the allodial landowners, of whom some of the most important ones bore the title háveding ‘chieftain’ (also hávedling, háudling, etc.; cf. Old Norse höfðingi).

And so, after the killing of count Arnulf in 993 and especially after the killing of margrave Henry in 1101, the so-called Frisian Freedom was established, in which the Frisians acknowledged loyalty only directly to the Emperor. By 1248 this status aparte was formally recognized by the Emperor. Most likely it was informally recognized much earlier.

In the centuries that followed the hávedingar would go on to gain power. Yet in the absence of a single ruler of Frisia and in the presence of powerful Saxon and Burgundian dukes eyeing Frisia, and with the (Saxon) city of Groningen expanding its influence, Frisia came to know many internal struggles, until at the end of the fifteenth century Albert III, Duke of Saxony became governor of Frisia. With that the Frisian Freedom was no more.

Frisians in Víkingr
In the year 1066 Frisia was still organised under central rule, albeit not very effectively. The Frisians did not have a military as organised as that of the Anglo-Saxons, Norwegians, Normans and Rus, but would certainly have been able to give a good fight, without too much technological inferiority.

As far as I know a Frisian army would not have different classes such as fyrdmen and húscarlas, but simply fighters ranging from poorly to well equipped, depending on what they could afford. The Frisians did have fame for breeding very strong warhorses (the ancestors of the modern Friesian horse), which they undoubtedly used themselves as well in battle. But their cavalry would of course not been as impressive as that of the Normans.

What classes then could would any Frisian warband or army consist of? The first and fourth class pose no problem. They would be the sketta ‘archer’ (cf. Old English scytta and Old Norse skyti) and the háveding ‘chieftain’ (cf. Old Norse höfðingi). The sketta would have access to modest bows, like the Saxon scytta, while the háveding would most likely be mounted. Things get tricky when we have to decide on the nature and names of the second and third class, for we know little about the specifics of Frisian military organisation. It does however seems safe to assume that it was much like that of the Saxons and Frankish/French, only more modest.

I would propose to make the second class a general footsoldier and call him either a ferdman or a hereman. Neither of these names have been attested in Old Frisian. However, a common word was hereferd ‘military expedition, campaign’, a compound of here ‘army’ (cf. Old English here ‘army, host’ and Old Norse herr ‘army, host’) and ferd ‘expedition’ (cf. Old English fyrd). Since Frisian armies seem to have been formed in an ad hoc manner, it would seem that able bodied men fighting battles (and most likely volunteering for it) would usually be in some kind of expedition for the occasion. Ferdman would also be cognate to Old English fyrdman, only with a different meaning. The other option, hereman, speaks for itself. It simply means ‘army man’. It would certainly have been understood by Frisians at the time. (A third option is the firmly attested word herenát ‘comrade in arms’, but this is most likely too general a description.) The equipment of this second class would be very much like that of the Anglo-Saxon fyrdman.

For the third class I propose to make a fighter that can be either footsoldier or a horseman. He would not have a horse by default, but he would be able to buy one (at a low price, since the Frisians were famed breeders of warhorses), and his armour would not be as fancy as that of the Normans riders. The Frisians would then be the only faction with such an ambiguous third class. They’d have less horses than the Normans, but, naturally, more than the Saxons and Vikings. Naming this class then is a bit of a challenge. For lack of a better word I propose we call this class the wígand ‘warrior’. It’s more of a place-holder term, since we simply don’t know what they would have been called. It’s better than nothing.

I’ve emailed a professor of Old Frisian for help in the matter of these names. He’s out of office for the next two weeks, so I hope we’ll get some feedback later this month.

Deciding on the banner is also a challenge. A version of the modern Frisian flag was first recorded at the end of the Middle Ages, apparently in some French heraldry book, as the banner of the “King of Frisia” (while none existed). The modern Frisian flag has four blue and three white diagonal bars as well as seven red coloured leaves of the yellow water-lily. These leaves, resembling hearts, would represent the legendary Seven Sealands of Frisia – seven probably being more a symbolical than an actual number. The motif of blue and white bars and red items is older though, as parallels can be found in Scandinavian banners. Leaves of the yellow water-lily are also found and mentioned elsewhere in Northern-Europe, from at least the year 1200.

An older Frisian banner was blue with two yellow lions and white coins. In a slightly altered form it has since become the flag of West-Friesland, a small region in North-Holland. And an even older Frisian banner, known only from legend and apparently wholly red, was the so-called Magnus banner. Supposedly it belonged to Fríso, the ancestral father of the Frisian, and was magical. It was buried for centuries and after being found again given to the legendary Frisian banner bearer and hero Magnus Forteman. It was however buried again, never to be found again.

I would opt for a version of the modern Frisian flag. Examples of the mentioned flags are below, behind the 'spoiler button'.

To sum it up, this is what the Frisian classes would look like.

Frísa 'Frisians'
[list type=decimal][*]Sketta ‘archer’
[*]Ferdman ‘expedition man’
[*]Wígand ‘warrior’
[*]Háveding ‘chieftain’[/list]

250px-Frisian_flag.svg.png

Modern flag of Frisia

Flag_ommelanden.gif

Modern flag of the Ommelanden (which is closest to the oldest recorded form)

West-Friesland_vlag.svg

Modern flag of West-Friesland

Although I doubt they will be implemented I shall add my small contribution to your research, Eadric, with this description of  icelandic raiders in Frisia, taken from my personal favourite "Egil's Saga":

"Chapter 72 - Of Arinbjorn's harrying." (you have to scroll through to it)
http://www.sagadb.org/egils_saga.en

Thanks Moeck! That's not too flattering an account of the Frisians though.

Here are two accounts of Ubba the Frisian, a champion in the army of Harald Wartooth during the Battle of Brávellir.

A shorter one from Gesta Danorum ('Deeds of the Danes'):

Meanwhile Ubbe the Frisian, who was the readiest of Harald's soldiers, and of notable bodily stature, slew twenty-five picked champions, besides eleven whom he had wounded in the field. All these were of Swedish or Gothic blood. Then he attacked the vanguard and burst into the thickest of the enemy, driving the Swedes struggling in a panic every way with spear and sword. It had all but come to a flight, when Hagder (Hadd), Rolder (Hroald), and Grettir attacked the champion, emulating his valour, and resolving at their own risk to retrieve the general ruin. But, fearing to assault him at close quarters, they accomplished their end with arrows from afar; and thus Ubbe was riddled by a shower of arrows, no one daring to fight him hand to hand. A hundred and forty-four arrows had pierced the breast of the warrior before his bodily strength failed and he bent his knee to the earth. Then at last the Danes suffered a great defeat, owing to the Thronds and the dwellers in the province of Dala. For the battle began afresh by reason of the vast mass of the archers, and nothing damaged our men more.

A longer one from Sögubrot af nokkrum fornkonungum ('Fragment of a Saga about Certain Ancient Kings'):

And when all this army was ready for battle, trumpets were blown on each side, and they roared out their battle cries with all the strength they had. Then the two armies closed for battle, and that fight was of such ferocity and magnitude that, as it says in all the old sagas, there hasn’t been a battle fought in all the Northlands with so many men or so fine a selection of warriors.

And when the battle had been going on for a little while, that champion in King Harald’s army who was called Ubbi the Friesian advanced to attack the tip of the wedge in King Hring’s line, and he fought the first combat with Rognvald Radbard, and theirs was a ferocious encounter, and fearsome blows could be seen traded there in the host when these dauntless heroes clashed. Each dealt the other many heavy blows, but Ubbi was such a great champion that he didn’t let up till their duel was over with Rognvald having fallen at his hand. And thereupon he rushed at Tryggvi and dealt him a deadly wound. And when the sons of Alrek see how fearsomely he fares through the host, they go up against him and fight with him, but he was such a hardy and great champion that he slays them both, and then he slays Yngvi. And then he went charging so furiously through the host that nothing could withstand him, and he struck down all who stood in the wedge, except for those who gave way and backed off towards the other champions.

And when King Hring sees this, he urges his army on not to let one man overcome them all, such lordly men as were with him, “And where is the champion Starkad who till now has never suffered defeat. Win us victory!”

He answered, “We’ll have our work cut out,” he says, “but we’ll try to win such a victory as we can. But that man Ubbi is someone who could test a man to the full.”

But at the urging of the king, he charges forward through the host at Ubbi, and there took place there a mighty battle between them with heavy blows and great strength, as both were dauntless heroes. And so it went on for a while, and Starkad dealt him a terrible wound. And in return, Starkad received six wounds, all grave, and he didn’t think he’d ever been so hard pressed by one man. And because the opposing lines were each so strong, they were tossed about now one way, now the other, and were separated in the crush, and so their fight was broken up.

Then Ubbi slays the champion called Agnar, and hews to either side of him, constantly clearing a path for himself, and both his arms were bloody to the shoulders. And then he attacked the men of Telemark.

And when they see him, they say, “We needn’t look for a target anywhere else in the army now. Instead let’s direct our arrows at this man for a time, and before [...] the victory, and as little expectation as everyone has of us, let’s make so much the more of a mark for ourselves now and show ourselves to be valiant men.”

The finest of the Telemarkers begin to shoot at him, Hadd the Hard and Hroald Toe, and they were such fine archers that they shot at him two dozen arrows that pierced his breast, and he didn’t roll over without a fight. These men dealt death to him, and before that he’d slain six champions, and dealt grave wounds to eleven more, and slain sixteen of Swedish and Gautish men who stood in the front rank.

The battle took place mid eighth century, so Ubba doesn't fit the time frame of this mod, but I does give a taste of what Frisians were (and are?) capable of. According to legend at least. In later times (around 1500 AD) we find Frisian hero Grutte Pier ('Big Peter'), who wielded an abominably huge sword of which a replica can be admired in the Frisian Museum. It weighed 6,6 kilos and was 2,15 metres long! Frisians have consistently been described as tall-statured and very strong and are even now among the tallest people in the world. Perhaps this physical prowess could somehow be reflected in the game. They would for instance be able to smash shields more easily.

Frisians also did much fighting with Vikings, who raided Frisia on a great many occasions, especially in the ninth century. Things didn't always go well for the invaders, as can be seen from the following entry for the year 873 in the Annals of Fulda. A host of at least 800 Northmen was defeated by the Frisians of Ástergá (i.e. Modern Frisian Eastergoa, Modern Dutch Oostergo).

250px-Oostergo.jpg

Ástergá

In June Hróðulfr, a certain Norseman of royal stock, who had often raided Charles's kingdom with pillage and arson, led a fleet into the kingdom of King Louis, in Albdag's county (**) and sent messengers ahead with a demand that the inhabitants of the region should pay him tribute. When they replied that they were not bound to pay tribute to anyone except to King Louis and his sons, and that they would not agree to his demands in this matter under any circumstances, he was enraged, and in his pride swore that after all the males had been killed the women and children with all their movable wealth should be taken off into captivity not knowing of the revenge which was to pursue him from heaven. He at once invaded their lands and began to make war against them. They, however, invoked the Lord, who had so often preserved them from their enemies, and opposed their evil enemy in arms; battle was joined and Hróðulfr himself fell first, and with him eight hundred men. But the rest, since they could not reach their ships, took refuge in a certain building. The Frisians laid siege to this and took counsel with each other as to what should be done with them. Different people had said different things, when a Norseman who had become a Christian and had long lived among these Frisians and was the leader of their attack, addressed the others as follows: 'O my good fellow-soldiers, it is enough for us to have fought thus far, for it is not due to our strength but to God's that we few have prevailed against so many enemies. You know that we also are absolutely exhausted and many of us are seriously wounded, those who lie here within are in desperation. If we begin to fight against them, we shall not defeat them without bloodshed; if they turn out to be stronger - for the outcome of battle is uncertain - then perhaps they will overcome us and depart in safety, still able to do us harm. It seems more sensible to me therefore, that we should take hostages from them and allow some of them to leave unwounded for the ships. We will meanwhile retain the hostages until they send us all the treasure which they have in the ships, and they will first take an oath that they will never return to King Louis's kingdom.' The others agreed to this plan, and after taking hostages allowed some to leave for the boats. These sent back a really immense treasure and received their hostages back, after first, as I have said, taking an oath that they would never again return to King Louis's kingdom. Then they departed with great shame and loss, and without their leader, to their own country.
(*) Louis the German
(**) Oostergo in Friesland

(Source)

The last Viking raids in Frisia were on the towns Tiel and Utrecht in 1006 and 1007 AD respectively. I believe this is close enough to the year 1066 to warrant battles between Frisians and Vikings in this mod. Heck, the Viking Age was effectively over after the Battle of Stamford Bridge.

A Frisian faction would be interesting. I approve :wink:.

What is the possible future faction list though? Gaels, Byzantines, Franks, Frisians. Maybe even Indians? :razz: (Seeing Vikings probably fought with them as well)

Phalanx300 said:
A Frisian faction would be interesting. I approve :wink:.

What is the possible future faction list though? Gaels, Byzantines, Franks, Frisians. Maybe even Indians? :razz: (Seeing Vikings probably fought with them as well)

You mean native americans? Indians live in India, and I doubt they ever met vikings  :razz:

I think they're first going to make Gaels, then maybe something else, most probably something close in the area. So no Byzantines or 'Indians' ^^

Yes native Americans :razz:. Maybe a just for fun faction only the admin can start? :razz:

As for the Byzantines, weren't they in the original faction list? Think they are very likely to be added, probably after the Gaels.

Good men, please use this thread to discuss a Frisian faction specifically. Here is the thread where new factions in general are discussed.

And thank you Phalanx, for endorsing this!  :razz:

I'm all for more factions but only once all current ones are fully balanced and all nice and shiny. Also not to be a party pooper but won't the Frisians just seem like a reskinned Vikingar faction?

Æthelwulf said:
I'm all for more factions but only once all current ones are fully balanced and all nice and shiny.

Certainly!

Æthelwulf said:
Also not to be a party pooper but won't the Frisians just seem like a reskinned Vikingar faction?

Somewhat perhaps. But with their horsemen the difference between Frísa and Víkingar would be greater than that between Seaxan and Víkingar.

Imagine warriors like these in the Frisian ranks:

Vlaardingen_-_Slag_bij_Vlaardingen_%28reenactment_2008%29_1.jpg

Vlaardingen_-_Slag_bij_Vlaardingen_%28reenactment_2008%29_2.jpg

Taken from a re-enactment of the Battle of Vlaardingen, which was fought between the count of West-Friesland and his forces and the Imperial army. They're supposed to be German horsemen, but I think the West Frisian count and his guard and other Frisian hávedingar and other important fighters would have been quite similar. I do expect the Frisian warhorses to have been bigger though.

Another interesting aspect about the Frisians is that their land was pretty unique in the year 1066 and before: vast plains that were continuously flooded, with settlements on artificial high ground where livestock would also be huddled to. The construction of large, coastline dykes wasn't really begun until the eleventh century. This kind of landscape is very easy to map, and would be an interesting departure from the current batch of maps. Many Viking raids were on this kind of land.

terp.jpg

But dykes were already in existence on a smaller scale, and we can imagine towns behind dykes during high tide.

I'm all for Frisians! But indeed after the Gaels. They would be a nice mix between Normanz and Vikingr.

Partizan_Rusi said:
Great, some random european tribe with Emo flag 
They're

not

HEAAARRTSS.

Éadric, you mention "Imagine warriors like these" but I don't want to, because I'd then have to grab clean boxershorts. :3

Edit; also, you seem very thorough and knowledgeable in fields that interest me a LOT. Are you studying this, have you studied it, where? Aaah.

FrisianDude said:
Edit; also, you seem very thorough and knowledgeable in fields that interest me a LOT. Are you studying this, have you studied it, where? Aaah.

No. I believe that he is a traveller sent from the past to enlighten the Vikingr development team.  :razz:

I really do hope these guys are added sooner rather then later... they sound epic  :shock:

...Epic fail  :mrgreen:
Éadric said:
Frisians in the time around 1066
After the Frisians were defeated by the Franks in the eighth century AD, Frisia became part of the Frankish Empire (subsequently the Holy Roman Empire) and was ruled by counts and such loyal to the Emperor.

Back
Top Bottom