AAR: Haakon of Vaegir

Users who are viewing this thread

Gilkanese

Recruit
                        A Mount & Blade Warband AAR

Haakon.jpg

Hello, people of Taleworlds forums! For a while I've played and enjoyed Mount & Blade Warband. It really is such a great game. And that's why I've decided to write an epic AAR that will stand as one of the best ever! Or at least I hope, I'm not the best writer. The main problem is going to be surviving (I'm kind of a noob :oops:).

An AAR, or After Action Report, is when I play the game, and take screenshots of things that happen and use them to tell a story. In this case, the story of Haakon, a Vaegirian noble.

Here is a list of my gameplay settings.

Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Good
Campaign AI: Good
Combat Speed: Normal
And the game is set to realistic; no quitting without saving.

I'm going to be using no mods (this is one of my first play-throughs, I find it best to enjoy the vanilla version of the game before mods).

This all sets my difficulty to 102%! Yikes, didn't see that coming! Seems a little high for across the board average setting. Will be interesting to see if I die within the first few days. I wouldn't be surprised. :lol:

The updates for this will be constant: don't expect to be waiting for more than four or so days. I'll probably be able to post faster than that, considering that it's summer, but I promise that unless dire circumstances prevent me from posting, I will update at least every four days.

Chapters
Introduction - March 20th, 1257
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One: Arrival at Reyvadin - March 23rd, 1257
Chapter Two: Conspiracy in the Capital - March 24th, 1257

Introduction

March 20th, 1257
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Diary,

The events of this past month have changed my life and my destiny irreversibly. My father, once a powerful Boyar in the court of King Yaroglek, has been executed for treason along with my mother and much of my close family. According to the king, he had betrayed the location of the Kingdom's armies in its last war against the Swadians.

This of course, I knew to be false, simple lies and slander against my family. For many years Yaroglek harbored ambitions on my family's land. And after a crushing defeat at the hands of the Swadians, Yaroglek was able to easily turn my father into a scapegoat.

Knowing that his time was coming, my father sent our servants away, disbanded our army, and burned down our estate. He then gave my family's ancient banner, one that had not been seen in Calradia for many years.  And my name, Brynjulf, was changed to the name of my great grandfather, the one who brought my family the glory it once held. Haakon.

I was told to flee with my few remaining possessions, and head to a safe place in order to escape the wrath of the Boyars. At first I refused, not wanting to leave my parents to die at the hands of Yaroglek. However, I was persuaded to leave after my father spoke with me. His words still ring clear in my mind.

"Our line cannot end here, Byrnjulf. If you do not survive, our family will only be remembered in history as traitors to Vaegir. You must survive, and you must restore our family's honor. I have absolute faith in you that you will bring Yaroglek to justice." Outside the town, the clopping of dozens of hooves could be heard. We had finally been found.

With a sense of urgency, my father continued, "Go now, under the banner of our ancestors and the name of your forefathers. My time is up. I will face the false justice of the king."

I was forced into a waiting caravan outside, hidden in the cabbage harvest in the back. The last I saw of my family was my mother weeping next to my father as he face the oncoming horde of horsemen. I sunk back into the cabbage and wept for my family, who would surely be dead within the hour.

I wept for the fact that I was now alone in the world, with no one but myself to depend on. I admit that I am better off than others with the skills I received from my time as a page and a squire to one of my father's knights. But I also must deal with the constant threat of being discovered as the son of Magnus Abildgaard, the traitor.

And now, from a caravan bound for Reyvadin, I write. The tragedy that befell my family will forever be remembered in this diary. And as I think of my new course in life, I feel a new resolve has entered me. I know what I must do. I will bring down Yaroglek and let him know the justice of steel.

It will take a long time to complete my new destiny. I am only equipped with the clothes I was wearing the day I was forced to flee from the King's forces, a crossbow, a sword, a pouch of denars, and my trusty horse, Bjorn, who my parents had thoughtfully attached to the caravan that would bring me to Reyvadin. Now I must sleep. Hardship is ahead, and I must be well rested for it.

mb_warband2011-07-0211-04-21-96.jpg

Gameplay Notes

I selected father is an impoverished noble, was a page in early life, a squire in adulthood, and took up adventuring due to being forced out of his home.

I chose stats that lean more towards making my soldiers stronger rather than me. Due to the difficulty I'd rather have a strong army than a strong me. It also fits with Haakon, who is a noble, and not really used to fighting his own battles. It should be interesting, I haven't taken this approach before. Tell me what you think!

It sounds like you got a well planned AAR ahead of you. Im looking forward to it.

Although, wouldn't loss of a loved one or revenge be a better reason for going out? restoring the families honour, taking forth justice upon those who did your family wrong?

Even so, great idea and im glad to see a Vaegir AAR. Tired of seeing Nord of Swadian ones.

Deosn't really matter about those first choices too much anyways (except for stats and starting gear.)

Kick hearts and break ass man. And also, don't forget screenshots, especially of battles and what not.

Majhudeen said:
It sounds like you got a well planned AAR ahead of you. Im looking forward to it.

Although, wouldn't loss of a loved one or revenge be a better reason for going out? restoring the families honour, taking forth justice upon those who did your family wrong?

Even so, great idea and im glad to see a Vaegir AAR. Tired of seeing Nord of Swadian ones.

Deosn't really matter about those first choices too much anyways (except for stats and starting gear.)

Kick hearts and break ass man. And also, don't forget screenshots, especially of battles and what not.

Sigged, haha. And don't worry, I'll remember screenshots of battles. I think I have a few good ones for the next update. I also agree with the Nord/Swadian AAR thing. There's almost nothing for Khergits, Sarranids, and Vaegirs. Although to be fair, those factions have pretty hard starts.

With the first choices, I could have chosen from revenge, loss of a loved one, or forced from home. I chose forced from home because it fits with my introduction and I get the stats I want.

Chapter One: Arrival at Reyvadin

March 23rd, 1257

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Diary,

I arrived in the city of Reyvadin, the capital of the Vaegirs, today March 23rd. The trip in the caravan was awful. The Kingdom of Vaegirs has a bandit problem - a major one. They  loot and raid anything that moves. This trip God must have blessed me though, as the only bandit problem we had was the occasional horseman watching us from a ridge or from across a river. Being watched like that was unnerving to say the least.

For three days I had to endure this things. I'm already missing the benefits of my nobility. Needless to say, after this hard trip I immediately fell asleep in one of the relatively cozy beds of the Reyvadin tavern. I slept a deep, dreamless sleep that night. But to my misfortune, I woke up a little before dawn, still as tired and weary from my trip as I had been the second I arrived in Reyvadin.

The tavern's staff had already begun their morning routine, a thing just quiet enough to sleep through, but to loud to get back to sleep through. Grudgingly, I pulled myself out of bed and prepared myself for the day. I had a lot ahead of me. Conspiring to dethrone a king isn't something you do in a day.

After whiling away a little time in the tavern while I waited for morning, boredom eventually sank in. Foolishly, I decided to leave the tavern to wander the streets. In hindsight, I should have realized nothing good could come of such an adventure. There's a certain know-how you need to survive in the capital of the Vaegirs. And the most important "rule" is that the streets are a shady place at dawn in Reyvadin.

Within minutes of leaving the tavern, a man with a bow assaulted me. It's a good thing that it was a terrible weapon, the groaning wood warning me that an arrow was imminent. I was able to barely dodge the arrow, and had barely pulled out my shield and sword before another went whizzing my way.

My attacker then foolishly revealed himself as he prepared for a better shot.

mb_warband2011-07-0221-13-34-62.jpg

The man was obviously an amateur. A bow and arrow, for God's sake. His aim wasn't exactly Khergit quality either. With a swing and a lightning fast cleave to the top of his head, I slew the man. Immediately afterwards a concerned citizen (who I assume had been viewing the whole encounter) ran up to me to check if I was alright.

Or so it should have gone. Of course, in Calradia, very few have such niceties as to simply see if a man is injured after a fight. Or to check to see if the man he just ran his sword through has a pulse. But I digress.

The man, after seeing my swordplay, decided that he wanted to hire my services. I'm not exactly sure what he saw in my mediocre skills (Reyvadin must not be the home of many good swordsman. Or even anyone who owns a sword.) but he wanted my services. He led me to his house before telling me just what it was that he wanted. And even once we got there, he sat at the window, watching the street for... something.

Finally, he turned and told me why he had brought me to his house. Apparently, mercenaries had been plaguing the area around Reyvadin, even occasionally foraying into the town to rob, loot, and kill. The king seemed unable to do anything about it, the ineptitude fitting with his character. In one of their latest expeditions into the town, the man's brother had been kidnapped and dragged off, presumably to the bandits' hideout.

My first reaction was to politely tell him I would not help him, but he quickly offered money for my help. That certainly piqued my interest. And so as he slipped a heavy pouch of denars into my hand, I listened closely to what he wanted me to do.

It disgusts me that I have fallen so far that I would accept money from a peasant to work as a mercenary, but it is not my choice. I need money before I can even dream of becoming a noble again. And if I have to get it by working as a soldier-for-hire, then so be it.

First, I would need to recruit a posse to go after the group of bandits that had kidnapped the man's brother. I estimated that I would need five good men, and that was pushing it. The men I would need for the manhunt were not available in the city; the people there were to soft and afraid of the bandits. They would not do, and I would in fact be better off alone.

No, I would need farmers, strong Vaegir men from the surrounding villages. With a task in mind, I was ready to move. But before I left, I realized that if I wish to be a Boyar again, I would need favor with King Yaroglek. I would need him to trust me one hundred percent and believe me to be his right hand man. And so, what I did next makes me sick to my stomach, but it had to be done.

Under my new name and banner, I approached the castle and requested entry to the castle. My ancestor's banner served me well here. The guards only saw a noble's banner as I requested entry. They may not have recognized the symbol, but the only people who possess such objects are of high status. And so I was allowed entry to the hall of the king.

As I entered the hall, King Yaroglek examined me from his place at the head of the table. His eyes lingered the longest on my face and the banner. For a spine chilling second, I thought he recognized me. But as I reached the table, he did nothing as I bowed before him. My father had been right in warning me not to fly my own personal banner. Yaroglek would have recognized me on the spot if it had been with me.

mb_warband2011-07-0221-14-49-34.jpg

Oh, yes you do.

I spoke to him with the utmost politeness, using all the bootlicking skills I had gained from my time as a page. It was painful, referring to him as "my lord" and conversing with him as if he were a human being, but I needed to to gain his favor. And spitting in his face and attempting to kill him would most certainly not get me his favor.

After a while, I asked if he had anything he required help with. Yaroglek thought for a second before mentioning that he had a message he desperately needed sent to Boyar Nelag. Seeing an opening, I asked him if I could have the honor of delivering the message. Upon asking for the honor to deliver his message for him like a courier, I very nearly vomited. To speak to a man you hate with every fiber of your being like that... it's a hard thing.

He was pleased with my willingness to help, and as we continued our conversation after I had accepted the letter from him, his tongue was much looser and he was far friendlier. I learned one thing from this brief meeting, a fact that will probably help me greatly in the future: Yaroglek is an easy man to please.

I left as soon as possible, unable to bear the man's very presence. I rode through the gates in the direction of Ayyike, a nearby village where I planned to recruit a few men to join me in hunting down the bandits. A bitter frown was on my face as I left, a frown that lingers even now as I write this as I wait for my new recruits to gather. The weight of my situation is crushing. Without money, guaranteed shelter and food, and reduced to licking the boot of my worst enemy.

And I feel so alone.

Gameplay Notes

Nothing much really happened, I just accepted two quests and then went to Ayyike to recruit some men. I didn't get enough to complete the quest, so I'll be riding to another town.

What annoys me about the quest from Yaroglek though is that the castle the Boyar the message is written to is on the other side of the Vaegir kingdom. It's almost as if he knows who I am and is just playing with me before he strikes. :eek:

Anyone reading this? Trying to gauge to see if there's any interest in an AAR like this, or if I'm just typing to myself. :lol:

Chapter Two: Conspiracy in the Capital

March 24th, 1257
Dear Diary,

After picking up some recruits from Ayyike, I marched them in the direction of Tebandra. I still didn't have quite enough to take on whatever criminals may be lurking around Reyvadin. My new recruits showed their worth here, as they maintained a forced march pace without complaining. I was certainly right in recruiting from the villages, rather than Reyvadin.

Along the way to Tebandra, I ran into Boyar Mleza, an old friend of my family. Like Yaroglek, he did not recognize me. I spoke with him for a while, even though I needed to recruit the few men I needed and then get back to Reyvadin as soon as possible. As our conversation moved into finances, I somehow let slip that I was running out of denars fast.

My slip turned into a lucky break though as he took pity on me. He offered me the job of hunting down a wanted criminal in return for three-hundred denars. The criminal was thought to be hiding in Ayyike, a village hardly a mile from the location him and I were speaking at. I thanked him profusely before begging my leave. We left on a good note. He was grateful that he didn't have to spend the time searching for the criminal. I feel that we'll be good friends in the future, like we once were.

After my meeting with Mleza, I continued on my way to Tebandra, quickly gathering up the men willing to join my small army before turning around to return to Ayyike to kill the criminal, Aels Bright. As my force got to the outskirts of the town, I ordered them to stay put. There was no reason to cause unnecessary panic in the town. Besides, killing Aels didn't need more than one person.

For a criminal in hiding, it was relatively easy to find him. He was behind a building on the edge of Ayyike, and as I rode into town with all my weapons and armor, he paid far too much attention to me to be a simple farmer. When I approached him and told him he matched the description of Aels Bright, he immediately began shouting his innocence.

Now that I had confirmed his guilt, I felt no need to continue the ruse.

Chuckling, I said, "Before I came here, I did not know what Aels Bright looked like. Now, I do." After a few seconds, the penny dropped, and the man realized he had been tricked. Angered, he drew his sword and took a swing at me, but I was ready for that and by the time his strike was finished I was already a yard away after having spurred my horse forward.

What ensued was one of the hardest fights of my life. Aels was a good swordsman, if anything, and at one point in the fight, his sword reached its mark and bit deep into my leg, stopping just shy of the bone. Realizing that I truly was in danger of death, I desperately began to rain a flurry of blows on the man. Even after I felt resistance as the sword entered his body, I continued swinging.

I wasn't going to stop until he hit the ground. I was already dizzy from the blood loss the wound in my leg had caused, and I shudder now  to think of what a second solid blow would have done to me. I left his body at the scene, to hurt to care. I'm fairly certain the people of Ayyike weren't exactly happy about that, but there was nothing I could do at the time.

After being quickly patched up at my soldier's camp, I ordered them to march to Reyvadin. Thanks to the sort distance between Reyvadin and Ayyike, we reached it in a few hours. Once there, I spoke to the man again and told him I was ready to go after the group that had kidnapped his brother. He advised me that the group I was looking for would not have more than four men.

In the tavern, I also learned that a tournament was going on currently. Despite the fact that I'm not the best fighter,  I joined in. Tournaments are a good way to increase your weapon proficiency, and I suggest to any man that if he has the opportunity to join one, he should. There's no better training method in Calradia.

Unfortunately, I was knocked out cold in the first round. Not that I was expecting any different, but the fact that I was knocked out in the first five seconds was definitely surprising. I blame the loss of blood I had endured from my earlier fight with Aels. But I still definitely need a lot of practice. If I plan on surviving I'm going to need to be able to hold my own easily in a one on one fight.

mb_warband2011-07-0221-15-31-91.jpg

In this picture, you can see my feet as I lie unconscious on the floor of the arena.

After being eliminated from the tournament, I turned my attention back to my task. I led my men out of the town to search for some bandits. I found a group in about an hour. As is proper, I offered the band a chance to surrender and tell me the location of their hideout. Of course, they declined to tell me. And by declined, I mean spit at my face and sent a volley of curses my way.

My soldiers and I dispatched them swiftly. I ordered them to leave just the leader alive, but somehow one of the other bandits managed to get off with a simple concussion. We retrieved the location of the hideout from the bandit leader and released him. The other man who had not been killed wasn't as lucky. He is now a prisoner of mine. Slaves and ransoms are worth a small fortune in Calradia, and I intend to make some money off the man for the trouble he gave me.

I reported back to the man who had ordered me to go after the bandits, prisoner in tow. Now that I had the location of the bandit hideout, I could go to it and rescue the man's brother. Not wanting to distract me from my quest, the man hurried me away, insisting I rescue his brother promptly.

So I rode off in the direction of Ulburban, the village the hideout was nearby. But by the time I got to the town and the hideout's location was in sight, it was dark, and far too late to launch my attack. I decided to camp outside the town in a perfect position to attack the hideout as soon as it was light enough.

That night I was haunted by nightmares. The disembodied voices of my parents echoed through my mind, and at the end of every nightmare, Yaroglek stood, cackling as he watched the guillotine come down on my parents' necks.

When I woke up in the morning, I was in an even worse state than I had been when I tried to get to sleep. Although, I was thankful that the nightmares were finally over. I roused my men and we set about to prepare for the attack.

The pass that led to the bandit camp was narrow, and the approach steep. The bandits had chosen a good place for their lair. Only a few of my men would be able to approach it in a manner that would not instantly alert the bandits inside. And I would be unable to ride my horse into battle. Despite these restrictions, I felt that we could easily overpower the bandits. And so, without further ado, I ordered a few men to follow me and we approached the bandit lair.

mb_warband2011-07-0221-22-01-25.jpg

The bandits only took notice of us after we were nearly upon them. They pelted us with a few rocks and arrows before they were forced to engage my soldiers in melee combat. While my soldiers fought the main enemy force, I stalked around the camp, searching for the enemy archers who were still firing at my men. They were good with their bows, but they quickly showed why they were archers and not infantry when I engaged them in melee combat.

In the end, we killed every bandit, taking no casualties ourselves. And along with successfully rescuing the man's brother, I found a treasure trove of loot in the cave the bandits had been sheltering in. Most of the equipment was not useful in comparison to mine, but all of it would fetch a good price with the arms and armor merchants in Reyvadin.

I reported my victory over the bandits and the rescue of my employer's brother to him. I thought I was finished with being the man's mercenary, but of course, he had one final task. He had long suspected the guard captain of allowing the bandits to commit their crimes unimpeded by the law, and even allowing them into the town.

He had gathered the evidence he needed and rallied many of the townspeople and guards against the captain and his bandits. But, they needed a leader. Finally, it seemed, the man realized where my talents lie. He offered me a hefty amount of denars in exchange for my services, and so I accepted. This is the final task I will be taking from this peasant, and for two reasons. I'm tired of taking orders from this man so far below me in station, and things are sure to heat up in Reyvadin after the revolt against the guard.

The man is currently off gathering his men while I write this in the tavern. I'm a little disappointed by what the man is doing; not because of the act itself, but because this conspiracy has somehow slipped past the king. It's telling of how far the Kingdom of Vaegirs has fallen, and only serves to strengthen my resolve to bring down Yaroglek. He continues to prove his ineptitude as a ruler and as a person, and it amazes me.

mb_warband2011-07-0221-27-50-36.jpg

Gameplay Notes

I was a little disappointed by the loot from the hideout, but other than that, this game is going great. Easy criminal killing quest from Mleza, the town was right next to where we were talking. :lol:

Also, a quick question. What will your character be focusing on for weapons and what not?
For armour I say you stick with Vaegir related items, they will look the coolest. A Vaegir Boyar wearing his appropriate northern aristrocracy garbs and armour in due course.

Thanks a lot,  Cleomenes. And my plan for weapons is one-handers almost exclusively. I'll use crossbows in sieges. And what are you thinking of when you say "Vaegir" equipment?

Great read so far!  I only have one quibble: how are you explaining away the fact that Haakon doesn't seem to be recognized by anyone?  Did his father send him away to school?  Keep him hidden?  It seems a bit far-fetched that Mleza was supposedly such a good friend of his family, and yet didn't recognize him.

JosieJ said:
Great read so far!  I only have one quibble: how are you explaining away the fact that Haakon doesn't seem to be recognized by anyone?  Did his father send him away to school?  Keep him hidden?  It seems a bit far-fetched that Mleza was supposedly such a good friend of his family, and yet didn't recognize him.

He was at school for most of his early life, and recently he's started to grow a beard. And then the main reason that Mleza didn't recognize him was because he wasn't expecting to recognize him. Yaroglek told everyone that the entire family had been executed.

Gilkanese said:
JosieJ said:

He was at school for most of his early life, and recently he's started to grow a beard. And then the main reason that Mleza didn't recognize him was because he wasn't expecting to recognize him. Yaroglek told everyone that the entire family had been executed.

Thanks for clarifying this.  And keep up the good work: I'm greatly enjoying it!

Back
Top Bottom