The Bezoar Amulet - Progress Report Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

*Mumiyo is in, and fully functional.
*The Mummy storyline is in and fully functional.
*A set of invisible clothing is in, and can only be obtained by finding the character who is wearing them (good luck), and having a particular extremely valuable item to trade...

All in all I am very pleased with the flow right now. Moving right along. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Working on familiar battles now. This will be both fun and tedious, but it will be a way to avoid combat and go straight to the loot screen with certain parties, if your familiar wins. On the other hand, your familiar may lose, and die - and then the game will skip to defeat for the player, and they may lose items as normal. On a Draw, neither familiar loses their life, and battle commences as normal. It will be like rock, paper, scissors, with a fourth choice, essentially.

Thoughts on a storyline for expanding Antihero:

~ I started with a simple plan: Have a troop that the peoples of Calradia can use to defend the major cities and castles from the new faction when it comes about, if the player has acquired the Antihero trait. This got my gears going, and wound up leading to...

~ There will be an inventor that can be found after the new faction appears. He will offer his services in the creation of a new troop for the kingdoms, based on a Gold Golem the player must provide. Being a somewhat neutral party, and a scientist, who simply wants to prove some theories, he wont care how the player gets the golem. After he receives it, he will make the necessary modifications. But first...

~ The kingdoms must be persuaded to end their petty feudal wars, for the sake of uniting against the Evil faction. The player will have to speak to every king (and maybe give something as a token of the direness of the situation), and get their co-operation. This will result in all factions declaring peace with each other, and war on Evil. This will also place some of the new "shock troops" in every Town and Castle not occupied by the Evil faction. This will be a very defensive setup... I may make plans for some more offensive reinforcements later.

Seeing as S&S is really not shiny happy, I suggest you make the nominally 'Good' side, along with you the (Anti!)-Hero, instigate the Calradian equivalent of Witch Hunts. Gotta keep the grimdark levels steady!

scrdest said:
Seeing as S&S is really not shiny happy, I suggest you make the nominally 'Good' side, along with you the (Anti!)-Hero, instigate the Calradian equivalent of Witch Hunts. Gotta keep the grimdark levels steady!

Point.

and I second that.

Although Antiheros can still learn the dark arts, dark good? hmm, a good example of Shine and Shade Doctrines.

Personally, I prefer a crapsack world where there is no "good". At best, Solid&Shade could have gray and grey morality. Or a black and gray morality. Having a "good" force would water the mod down unbelievably. This is all my own opinion, of course.

I want to give players the opportunity to resist the Evil faction - whether they do this for the sake of good, or to destroy their evil competition, doesn't really matter. And in doing so, they will be choosing a much more challenging path in the game - they will clearly be the underdogs.

I have begun the storyline addition, mostly as described above. It will be fun, and will give the peoples of Calradia a weapon they can at least think about defending their kingdoms with. I want the tension of it all to rest on the player's shoulders, though - Evil will still win, unless they champion the cause for good.

Even then, they will likely only be able to hold back the hordes. Actually fighting against Evil, and destroying it, will be nearly impossible, and in the end, good will have to use the tools of Evil to fight Evil successfully - always will this mod be a grey area.

* Fixed the bug I was experiencing with the game crashing when someone dies in the town center of the new city.
* Fixed Familiar Battles. Currently preparing to playtest fully.
* Added further Antihero awesomeness. The Antihero storyline arc now features one very bright historical figure and one very dark historical figure...
* Castle, Arena, Dungeon, Town Center, Shop, and Tavern currently complete.

~ Still contemplating the Manticore.
~ Still need to fix tournaments for the new city.
~ Still need to setup the new city for sieges, and the Alley area.

... Things are coming along well. That problem with things dying in the new town center (even training dummies) was a big one to conquer. Time to playtest. I'll try to get some screenies soon. :mrgreen:

EDIT:
* Worked the Manticore into the Antihero Arc. :cool:

One aspect I will be trying to preserve is the possibility of treachery. I think that no matter how far along the Antihero storyline you go, you will always be able to dabble or delve directly into the Dark Arts after reaching level 30... really the requirements for Antihero will always be the same, but the rewards are only bound to grow. :mrgreen:

Hey kinda of topic and sorry about that but can someone link me to this blood mod i keep hearing about.Ive searched everywhere for it and i can't find it and i really want to play it.

JonathanDeal said:
Hey kinda of topic and sorry about that but can someone link me to this blood mod i keep hearing about.Ive searched everywhere for it and i can't find it and i really want to play it.

That mod was discontinued, and has become "Rust the Wheel", here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,59961.0.html

People ask for it a lot, but I have since refused to release it or host it anywhere - ultimately it was a fustercluck of ideas that therefore hit the top end of the item limit, which prompted me to start other mods based on its content. Solid and Shade is also one of those ideas. Blood has been carved up into other mods, and thus has ceased to be.

Mostly, I don't want people to try to ask questions/make suggestions/make comments about Blood in this board or the thread for Rust the Wheel. That would only cause confusion (ala the same type caused by the moderators refusing to separate The Forge into separate sections for M&B 1.011 and Warband). Blood is what I used to learn how to do the bulk of modding. It is my equivalent of that movie that every actor wishes they hadn't had a part in, and I have consigned it to the past as such. Everything I have done since then is artistic - Blood was just experimentation.

This is nice progress, I am looking forward to the next release anxiously
Once again great job, Nought!!!

N0ught said:
Mostly, I don't want people to try to ask questions/make suggestions/make comments about Blood in this board or the thread for Rust the Wheel. That would only cause confusion (ala the same type caused by the moderators refusing to separate The Forge into separate sections for M&B 1.011 and Warband). Blood is what I used to learn how to do the bulk of modding. It is my equivalent of that movie that every actor wishes they hadn't had a part in, and I have consigned it to the past as such. Everything I have done since then is artistic - Blood was just experimentation.

And yet it has the legendary reputation of being far superior to Rust the Wheel.

Only because it supposedly has "more" - mostly more items. But Rust the Wheel will eventually have some major changes made as well - I think I may get away from the Dark Tower and V for Vendetta entirely, and turn it into a straight up post-apocalyptic fling, with survival overtones - like having to wear radiation suits in certain areas, and mutation being an issue.

But really Blood had too many themes happening, and no storyline. I couldn't really make a storyline manifest itself either at that time. I have learned a lot more with Solid and Shade than I ever did with that mod, and it shows. And I don't intend to go back to those roots, ever. I may take pieces of Blood and integrate them into other mods, but that mod has gone by the wayside.

Let's face it, Blood was incredibly entertaining, but when you wake up after few hours long marathon and realize you've become snakeskin boots-wearing, chainsaw-wielding werewolf Mace Windu something dies inside you.

I will never be the human being I've used to be.

No hard feelings, though, N0ught.

Do not look here said:
Let's face it, Blood was incredibly entertaining, but when you wake up after few hours long marathon and realize you've become snakeskin boots-wearing, chainsaw-wielding werewolf Mace Windu something dies inside you.

I will never be the human being I've used to be.

No hard feelings, though, N0ught.

Exactly. I want to create a game experience that is enjoyable AND makes sense. Blood was too convoluted, and really some of its elements were way too pop culture. I like the way, in contrast, Solid and Shade references the classic, rather than the popular.

To give some of you an idea of the kind of play experience I am going for, I used to play an incredibly complicated little roguelike game called ADOM - much of my character creation system, and my incessant tying together of elements, pays homage to that hideously complex game I have lost so many hours to. :wink:

* Vampires and Werewolves are now sensitive to Salt and Silver, respectively.
* Added a flying broom, tarot cards, and the possibility of creating flying ointment (read:invisible mount) for Seer characters.
* Added a new instrument for Troubadours: the Bloodphone. New creepy waterphone-style track goes with it. Must be made via the Bloodfountain after the new evil faction city is enabled.
* Hades was not being removed from the world map after the deal Troubadours make with him. I have fixed this for the next release.

Working on:

~ I need to make sure spawns at the Old Four Ways Inn work correctly after companions are removed from the party.
~ I have plans to expand on some of the final choices at character creation. Madness, Demonic Possession, and Prophecy already have some minor effects. I think we need more.
~ The love interest storylines may come in next.

I have noticed the pattern of adding the word old to everyplace from the old versions that are in this mod. Will this be true for Dhorak's Keep as well?

Also, will Akhad Thell be a lord for the necro faction?

Dhorak Keep: yes it will be making a comeback... in a way. There will be no separate location. The place where Dhorak Keep once stood had a village built very close nearby. It is slightly more fortified than most villages, due to the raids by renegade bands of Dark Knights after the destruction of the keep itself...

As for Akhad Thell: I did not start playing M&B until version .808, so I suppose I consider older versions like unwritten history. Akhad Thell was long gone by then.

Incidentally though, there are basically three more spaces for lords in the new faction, to give it as many lords as the rest. I have been entertaining ideas, but they pretty much have to be from greek mythology, and underworld related. I think I have pretty much exhausted the list...

Typhon, Father of All Monsters
Echidna, Mother of All Monsters
Cronus, Old King of the Titans
Ascalaphus, Orchard Master of Hades
Erebus, God of Darkness
Nyx, Goddess of Night
Empusa, Devourer
Pyriphlegethon, God of the River of Fire
Euronymous, Flayer
Cocytus, God of the River of Tears
Thanatus, Beheader
Acheron, God of the River of Pain
Epiales, Tormentor
Melinoe, Whisperer
Rhadamanthys, Judge of the Undead
Minos, Judge of the Undead
Aeacus, Judge of the Undead
Triptolemos, Judge of the Undead

Perhaps the fates or "Moirai"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moirai

I like the idea. Something further for the "Prophecy" character creation choice? Hmmm... *Sounds of tinkering...* :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom