The Bezoar Amulet - Progress Report Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Ouch, realized only too late that I spelled your name Notch instead of N0ught. My apologies... Still, looking forward to the new release.

Things are coming along diabolically. I have suffered several bouts of inspiration, leading to the inevitable creation of several new storylines for the mod. It will take a while to code, but there will at last be more to do in Solid and Shade. :mrgreen:

Still rolling around vampires and werewolves though. By the time I am done with the storylines I should know what to do. :roll:

Lots of new polearms are going in this time too. I said this game was a bit of a "polearm renaissance" and I meant it!

Many new companions are being added! I figured if I am going to implement some form of kingdom management we should have a lot of modded companions too. Most are high-level, but I am implementing three low-level companions as well. Here is a somewhat cryptic list, to get you all dreaming:

* Oak, Ash and Thorn.
* Lamia.
* Crossbones.
* The Undying Sword of Vlad Dracula

Also considering:

* A new form of portable fortune telling, similar to the Tarot Readers.
* A legendary firearm.
* Another kind of duelist, like the Alchemist, at taverns, for ranged duels.
* A playable instrument? Mayyyyyyybe... just for fun.

I am starting to worry about running out of item space. There is a limit on the individual items you can add to a mod. Keep your fingers crossed!

I am, as usual, entertaining any (reasonable) suggestions for development. If you have an idea (preferably one NOT based on any established video game content) spit it out!

Until next time, mod minons, adieu. :twisted:

And I thought it couldn't get any better!  And well, I got an idea, but I don't know much about modding, so not sure if it's difficult or impossible to implement, but necromancy in-battle.  Reanimating freshly slayed foes would be so cool!

The general concept is that the rituals required to create necromantic items, as well as the undead, take more concentration and time than can be used in the middle of combat. Thus all the "magic" occurs via menu and combat remains combat.

I have, however, gone to the lengths of exploring nearly every possibility of the native combat system - like the three mounts of the elite necromancer sets, for instance: one has more armor, one has more turning radius, and one does more trample damage. It spreads the game mechanics around and adds a lot to the game, I think. I am using some of the same methods with some of the stats of the companions I am adding as well.

Speaking of which, I am also considering a couple more companions:

* Dupin. I think I will use him in the quest for the legendary rifle I have in mind. He may also tie in with a few other NPC's and expand the artificer aspect of the mod a bit.
* Rasputin. You will be able to access the Necronomicon's list of spells and abilities via his party conversation list, whether you have a Necronomicon or not. Handy, especially in hardcore games, after being stripped of your spellbook due to defeat in battle.

Anyway, I am working on companion dialogs. May the nights be long for you, and the days be short for your enemies. :twisted:

How about a church-ish subfaction? With exorcists running around with crosses and such? :lol: Actually, the exorcists could h(a)unt you. Oh wait, is that implement in the mod already?

Ah, well.  I think it was worth a shot.  And I think he already said no to factions such as that. :sad:

UnholyNighmare said:
Rasputin? :lol: Awesome. What's next? Joinable Stone Masons cult?

No. The Masons are hinted at, as being a benevolent fraternal order, which is therefore antiquated in the mod. (Muahahaha.) It is interesting you mention that though, because one of the other new companions also mentions the Masons briefly.

Ikaguia said:
I think you should add something related to Hades :razz:

Well, Hades is the god of death and the underworld, but in Poe's literature, death appears as the Red Death. The order I prefer to go when making choices is Poe first, mythology second and my own little touches third. It makes for a good blend. :wink:

UnholyNighmare said:
How about a church-ish subfaction? With exorcists running around with crosses and such? :lol: Actually, the exorcists could h(a)unt you. Oh wait, is that implement in the mod already?

No, and I prefer to shy away from the "anti-hero" stuff - there is evil stuff, and mundane stuff, and thats pretty much it. Along those lines though, I have been thinking of adding one priest who is also a firearms expert. I smell silver bullets...

Been awhile since you had me checking this board everyday like clockwork.  Good to see your creative juices are flowing. Cannot wait to see what you have in store!

I have tried out your other earlier mods, and didn't really go far in them, so I was wondering if you could explain more about the old/new companions, like their specialties and their storylines(storylines we could learn while playing).  Maybe also the kind of fighting style/weapons the werewolves/vampires use.  Great idea about the super quest and adding other dark schemes :twisted:.

First thing very very very cool mod man. I didnt think I whould have this much fun with it when I first read the description. The mod isnt really nothing that special, only added a few things, yet its cool to be a evil overlord with a undead army.

Now I wanted to ask if you could mainly work on the faction ruling thing. Because im freaking invading people with a mighty undead force, but the game forcefully sticks my faction name, as "Vaegir rebel army". I mean wtf, "rebel army" really? I got monsters with cleavers and guys with no skin who have a cannon for a wep, and my faction and army is called rebels?

Also when I invade stuff, I cant really do with it anything. I mean cant I like get a option of murdering the enitre village population rather than looting their stuff and turn them into zombies for my army? Or building improvements like "unholy shrine", "Throne of doom", "gateway to hell" etc. Cool necro stuff like that. And why  do i have to sneak in the middle of the night to loot in the city graveyard if I own the damn city, who am I fooling, and if anybody has anything to say about that in my city id just have my undead guards skin him :grin:

Mybe I could assign tiefs to my undead lords, who I spawn from......uhhh (my imagination ran to a end here :grin:

Now all this I requested you whould make better have always been a bad thing in the original M&B. Could you like port this to warband or put this mod and swords of damocles with its awesome stuff together. That whould rock and you whould get help from the teams.

Mataran said:
I have tried out your other earlier mods, and didn't really go far in them, so I was wondering if you could explain more about the old/new companions, like their specialties and their storylines(storylines we could learn while playing).  Maybe also the kind of fighting style/weapons the werewolves/vampires use.  Great idea about the super quest and adding other dark schemes :twisted:.

Previous Version:
Stheno ~ Gorgon ~ Bows and shields. A small storyline goes with this character, as well as two item sets. A high-level companion.

Next Version:
Fortunato ~ Ghost ~ One-handed weapons, thrown weapons, and polearms ~ The search for this fellow will begin a huge scavenger hunt/treasure hunt, spanning the entire Solid and Shade world. A high-level companion.
Oak, Ash And Thorn ~ Wooden Men ~ Two-handed weapons, polearms, and thrown weapons, respectfully ~ These three potential companions will be available from the lowest levels, and will be the only companions who can be altered to tune their abilities, just like zombies. Low-level companions.
Lamia ~ Vampire ~ Polearms ~ Like Stheno, Lamia is from greco-roman mythology. She is essentially a vampire, though more monstrous. A high-level companion.
Crossbones ~ Werewolf ~ One-handed weapons and shields ~ This skull-club wielding witch-doctor werewolf is imported almost directly from my old Blood mod, with a few changes. He will have a special fortune-telling ability as long as he has his "bones" equipped. A high-level companion.
The Undying Sword of Vlad Dracula ~ Poltergeist ~ Two-handed weapons ~ An animated bone sword. This concept wouldn't go away, and it looks great in-game. A high-level companion.
Dupin ~ Human ~ Firearms ~ From Poe's stories. I intend to use him to begin a quest for a legendary firearm. A mid-level companion.
Rasputin ~ Demon ~ Polearms ~ Rasputin will be like a living, breathing necronomicon, allowing you to save space in your inventory. A mid-level companion.

Vampires and Werewolves:
These parties will start to spawn after level 20, and consist of several Vampires/Werewolves, Acolytes, and a mix of Destroyers, Shadow Warriors, and Blood Engines. All are massively powerful infantry units, designed to chew through your previously-nearly-invincible army.

Vampires ~ Two-handed sword with a huge reach, and thick armor. Offensive. Devastates mounted units quickly.
Werewolves ~ One-handed claw and claw-shield, and thick armor. Defensive. Devastates infantry units quickly.

Slycoin said:
First thing very very very cool mod man. I didnt think I whould have this much fun with it when I first read the description. The mod isnt really nothing that special, only added a few things, yet its cool to be a evil overlord with a undead army.

Now I wanted to ask if you could mainly work on the faction ruling thing. Because im freaking invading people with a mighty undead force, but the game forcefully sticks my faction name, as "Vaegir rebel army". I mean wtf, "rebel army" really? I got monsters with cleavers and guys with no skin who have a cannon for a wep, and my faction and army is called rebels?

Also when I invade stuff, I cant really do with it anything. I mean cant I like get a option of murdering the enitre village population rather than looting their stuff and turn them into zombies for my army? Or building improvements like "unholy shrine", "Throne of doom", "gateway to hell" etc. Cool necro stuff like that. And why  do i have to sneak in the middle of the night to loot in the city graveyard if I own the damn city, who am I fooling, and if anybody has anything to say about that in my city id just have my undead guards skin him :grin:

Mybe I could assign tiefs to my undead lords, who I spawn from......uhhh (my imagination ran to a end here :grin:

Now all this I requested you whould make better have always been a bad thing in the original M&B. Could you like port this to warband or put this mod and swords of damocles with its awesome stuff together. That whould rock and you whould get help from the teams.

I do intend to investigate all of that, but as it stands this next release is going to take a while. I have bitten off a lot by adding so many new companions, but in order to implement kingdom management we need more mod-related companions. We will see how ambitious I get as this goes along. :wink:

Anyway I thought I would give you all a little taste of what to expect from the next release. Until next time! :twisted:

N0ught said:
Fortunato ~ Ghost ~ One-handed weapons, thrown weapons, and polearms ~ The search for this fellow will begin a huge scavenger hunt/treasure hunt, spanning the entire Solid and Shade world. A high-level companion.
Does this mean we get a new map and/or world lore as well? :razz:

Can't wait for this N0ught! You and your obsession with Poe and the occult makes your mods special, one of a kind. You can't just not love it.

N0ught said:
Mataran said:

Previous Version:
Stheno ~ Gorgon ~ Bows and shields. A small storyline goes with this character, as well as two item sets. A high-level companion.

Next Version:
Oak, Ash And Thorn ~ Wooden Men ~ Two-handed weapons, polearms, and thrown weapons, respectfully ~ These three potential companions will be available from the lowest levels, and will be the only companions who can be altered to tune their abilities, just like zombies. Low-level companions.
Lamia ~ Vampire ~ Polearms ~ Like Stheno, Lamia is from greco-roman mythology. She is essentially a vampire, though more monstrous. A high-level companion.
Crossbones ~ Werewolf ~ One-handed weapons and shields ~ This skull-club wielding witch-doctor werewolf is imported almost directly from my old Blood mod, with a few changes. He will have a special fortune-telling ability as long as he has his "bones" equipped. A high-level companion.
The Undying Sword of Vlad Dracula ~ Poltergeist ~ Two-handed weapons ~ An animated bone sword. This concept wouldn't go away, and it looks great in-game. A high-level companion.
Dupin ~ Human ~ Firearms ~ From Poe's stories. I intend to use him to begin a quest for a legendary firearm. A mid-level companion.
Rasputin ~ Demon ~ Polearms ~ Rasputin will be like a living, breathing necronomicon, allowing you to save space in your inventory. A mid-level companion.

Vampires and Werewolves:
These parties will start to spawn after level 20, and consist of several Vampires/Werewolves, Acolytes, and a mix of Destroyers, Shadow Warriors, and Blood Engines. All are massively powerful infantry units, designed to chew through your previously-nearly-invincible army.

Vampires ~ Two-handed sword with a huge reach, and thick armor. Offensive. Devastates mounted units quickly.
Werewolves ~ One-handed claw and claw-shield, and thick armor. Defensive. Devastates infantry units quickly.

Slycoin said:

I do intend to investigate all of that, but as it stands this next release is going to take a while. I have bitten off a lot by adding so many new companions, but in order to implement kingdom management we need more mod-related companions. We will see how ambitious I get as this goes along. :wink:

Anyway I thought I would give you all a little taste of what to expect from the next release. Until next time! :twisted:

AWESOME!  Go with your own ideas, they are the best!

Pyrate said:
Haha, what do you need our suggestions for?

One never knows... lots of great suggestions have come from the fanbase. In all of these independent games' development forums, it's good to make your opinion known - it could make all the difference.

A good example is in the development of a small game called Gearhead Arena. I tried the game, became a fan, and joined the forum. There are cellphones in the game which are used to call characters after you meet them - I suggested an asterisk * could be used to redial the last character you called, which also happens to be the redial button on most phones. The Developer liked the idea and added it immediately! I was pleasantly surprised.

No promises, of course. I have seen some rather... outlandish suggestions. :lol: I do take anything reasonable into consideration though.

Back
Top Bottom