My laptop is on the verge of dying a fiery death and I'd much prefer it didn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

AWdeV

Duke
So, yeah. My laptop has recently taken to becoming insanely hot and I have no clue what causes it. Its probably to do with the power-thingy as mentioned elsewhere but is there any way I can reduce the speed at which it heats up?

I've been at the computer for an hour now roughly, doing nothing more than messing about on the internet and reading threads here and there, but the thing is still hot. Trying to play a game is annoying because I'd first need to put the laptop on stand-by, unplugged, for an hour to cool it down, after which I have roughly half an hour before its such a blazing inferno again that I either need to put it on stand-by again or wait for it to turn itself off!

Does anyone have any tips on reducing the heat? It's a bit of a waste of time to wait 10 minutes for Europa Universalis to boot and only getting to play for half an hour before having to shut it down again.

I wouldn't know what to do with the computer itself, but you could get a cooling pad. That should help quite a bit if you get a decent one.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Acomputer%20cooling%20pad&page=1

Laptops fans too are dust collectors like any other computer fans. Though it might be trickier to clean that than normal PC fans, since you might have to remove whole cooling system, depending the design this might or might not be easy/hard feat to do.

I was upgrading my family laptop processor recently, dust wasn't even visible on the first glance, but when I removed the cooling system there it was under it, stealthy blocking completely the ventilation.

So, remove the cooling system to see is there dust blocking air passage.

Hmm yeah, good idea. I think my oldest brother has one of those. Still though, it's the little adapter in my powercord that seems to get the hottest.

Oh damn. There's quite probably a hell of a lot of dust and gunk in the laptop yeah but I have no idea what to open and remove and whatever and am frankly not looking forward to dismantling the thing either. D:

Theoditus said:
Laptops fans too are dust collectors like any other computer fans. Though it might be trickier to clean that than normal PC fans, since you might have to remove whole cooling system, depending the design this might or might not be easy/hard feat to do.

I was upgrading my family laptop processor recently, dust wasn't even visible on the first glance, but when I removed the cooling system there it was under it, stealthy blocking completely the ventilation.

So, remove the cooling system to see is there dust blocking air passage.

Do you need to electrically insulate yourself in any way? Are there components you need to steer clear of?If I jammed a dildo through the ventilation vents to get rid of the snooty little bars, would it cool faster?

You know what, I have the exact same problem you have.

Or wait, it doesn't get hot like as if it shut itself down.
But it gets hot as hell, as in "MY HANDS ARE BURNING!" I can still play games.

Though now, what I assume a thing that is probably the fan says: "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

AWdeV said:
Oh damn. There's quite probably a hell of a lot of dust and gunk in the laptop yeah but I have no idea what to open and remove and whatever and am frankly not looking forward to dismantling the thing either. D:

I was intimidated of the thought of having dismantle whole laptop first too, but it turned out to be much easier task than I had thought. Area where processor and memories were was under lid which could be easily removed with few screws and under that you could operate basic stuff like memory cards, cooling, processor, etc.

That was cheapest model ever so I would imagine easy access to key parts would be standard in laptops. So basically you wouldn't have to dismantle whole laptop, just remove lid from back of it and then unscrew the cooling system out and clean it.

Swadius said:
Do you need to electrically insulate yourself in any way? Are there components you need to steer clear of?If I jammed a dildo through the ventilation vents to get rid of the snooty little bars, would it cool faster?

Best way to get rid of extra electricity is to first vibrate yourself while fondling the laptop and blow it all away with massive nerdgasm. After that dildo can be used to thrust vents open as long as there is enough thermal compound to lubricate it.

It's just like what Theo said. In the future, try to not put the laptop directly on blankets/pillows since they contain a lot of dustparticles and can block parts of the fan.

I never put it on blankets on pillows but I do have it on a permanently dusty table where I also eat at. :lol:

I've had it on my lap though and used the shock-absorbent bag-thing for the laptop to keep it from scorching my nuts. Was also a good way of getting it dusty I guess.

Radalan said:
You know what, I have the exact same problem you have.

Or wait, it doesn't get hot like as if it shut itself down.
But it gets hot as hell, as in "MY HANDS ARE BURNING!" I can still play games.

Though now, what I assume a thing that is probably the fan says: "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

Yeah, it used to do that too, although my fan never produced any capital letters. It doesn't get to that point of heat anymore but does shut down instead.

I'll try figuring out where and how to clean it.

Bulle said:
It's just like what Theo said. In the future, try to not put the laptop directly on blankets/pillows since they contain a lot of dustparticles and can block parts of the fan.
I have never done that, it's been stuck on a wooden table for most of the time. Couple of months ago I set it on top of three VHS cases (the corners with rubber shnitchels).

I don't even want to imagine what would happen if I removed them from under the sides of my laptop (three inch ventilation space woot).

Ventilation is important,
I have relatives and siblings who keep laptops for hours on beds and couches and complain about having to buy new laptops every 10 months - I suppose they don't make them idiot proof (yet)  :neutral:

Ever since I kept my laptop on flat surfaces (I prefer those flat plastic lids) I haven't been forced to replace a laptop in almost 3 years.

The laptop I tinkered and cleaned had been on wooden table too and my mom has been using it and she certainly isn't heavy computer user, yet the dust had blocked the ventilation (granted, she has few dogs which might be contributing factor to the extra dust :razz:). Since the fan sucks air inside to the laptop it will also suck dust particles from the air, eventually there is going to be plenty of dust inside it. Anyone who has had to clean some high cupboard surfaces knows how the dust collects there through the air regardless of their elevated location.

More age the laptop has, greater the change it has collected some crap inside it. So some occasional cleaning maintenance certainly won't do harm.

unless you forget to lubricate utility dildo first and accidentally ram the poor little thing in pieces

edit
god damnit, I had words mom and dildo in the same post, aargggh!! Oedipal anxiety attack incoming.

Too bad my laptop has no easy way to remove the whole cover.
It has these small lids for every single part of the computer, but even if I remove the lid of the fan, I have no idea how I can clean the parts behind it.

I took it to maintenance, but the guy obviously had no idea how to remove them either since "he didn't find any dust inside" nor any reason why the computer keeps heating up.

Yea laptops are troublesome since everything is packed in small areas and models differs. Googling laptop model might help if you find schematics which might help to understand it's body better.

Radalan said:
It has these small lids for every single part of the computer, but even if I remove the lid of the fan, I have no idea how I can clean the parts behind it.

In my case dirt block was not visible without removing cooling pipe and fan, I find it accidentally while updating processor to newer model. If the whole cooler system is visible under one of those lids, then it might be possible to unscrew it, if it is extended larger area under the cover, then there might not be easy way to check it out.

Theoditus said:
if it is extended larger area under the cover, then there might not be easy way to check it out.

Which would be a ****ing stupid design flaw.

Almost as stupid as including a 32bit Vista on a laptop with 4GB of memory. (Yes, this laptop.)  :roll:

My brother has 32bit vista on 4gb ram

Isn't the limit for 32bit 4.2 gb of ram though, so there isn't really any problem.

FrisianDude said:
What's so spectacularly stupid about vista 32 bit on a four gb laptop? I have vista 32 bit on a three gb one.

I had a 32bit vista on my laptop and the limited usage was 3GB.
Now I have a 64bit 7 and all the "Acer system programs" were designed for 32bit Vista.

Back
Top Bottom