Question about worm(Virus)

Users who are viewing this thread

So last month i had a strange pop up so i went to my process thing and saw a suspicious process so i closed it.

Name was a group of number like 0.56007788554.

Made a scan and found nothing.
Today i made a scan because its been a while since my last scan and im suprised to find 2 virus on my computer..
Categorized as *WORM*.
One named 0.56007788554 same name as that last suspicious process...

Why wasn't my anti virus able to find it last time i scanned since i scanned the day i got that virus/strange process.

And what does a Worm do?
I'm SCARED ****less since i use my credit card with this computer....

I'm on vista if that information was needed.
I have paid Avast!.

To the best of my non-techy knowledge, a botnet is a web of zombie computers, so called because their internet usage is subjected to the worm  scripts, that are more or less used to ddos websites. Your computer has likely infected everyone in your email list and they too are part of the botnet.

You should have used Norton Internet Security for starters, he offers probably the best protection and has very, very low impact on performance, I personally haven't noticed any performance issues with him and I use him 2 years straight, not a single virus for 2 years has caught up on my PC. But now, hm, try to scan PC with trial version of Norton Internet Security, if he doesn't kill it nothing will. After that feel free to install avast again.

My experience with Norton has been the direct opposite couldn't detect **** from what I remember, even after updating the moment before. I found the virus myself, and repeated scannings did nothing.

Deleting these things usually doesn't solve the problem, most of these malwares tend to leave behind hidden instructions to copy itself there again.

If you can boot your computer in safe mode, run a scan, then quarantine and delete the things that should do the trick.

As for Norton, it's ****. The free version of Superantispyware does a better job, even though it doesn't have active protection (though you should definitely have something that actively protects).

Magorian Aximand said:
If you can boot your computer in safe mode, run a scan, then quarantine and delete the things that should do the trick.

As for Norton, it's ****. The free version of Superantispyware does a better job, even though it doesn't have active protection (though you should definitely have something that actively protects).

Well i already quarantined and deleted the thing...

Swadius said:
Deleting these things usually doesn't solve the problem, most of these malwares tend to leave behind hidden instructions to copy itself there again.

What? so i can never get rid of em?

If you managed to find the file autorun.ini there is possibility to type in 0 instead of 1 (or false instead of true) via notepad. And a better solution instead of erasing the exe file is to add him an extension .bak , this way malware can read it's own file, wont multyply him but also he can't run it since it has .bak extension.

Swadius said:
My experience with Norton has been the direct opposite couldn't detect **** from what I remember, even after updating the moment before. I found the virus myself, and repeated scannings did nothing.

That's strange, I used every single antivirus and Noton proved to be the best. Have you tried to play with settings, set heuristic  and boot time protection on aggressive (that's is the most important thing), sonar is also very useful.

Ah yes, I would recommend everyone download rkill. When all else fails against the virus and it's shutting down all attempts at combating it, this program does the job. Just be sure to rename it once you download it.

Rebelknight said:
What? so i can never get rid of em?

No, you need to do what Mag told you to do. Deleting it in safe mode is different than deleting it in a normal start up of our computer. When you delete something from safemode, it is gone forever and nigh unrecoverable. Along with deleting the registry keys it's the most complete method of disposing yourself of the malware.

Though of course, if you ever contract a virus that won't let you go into safemode, -> rkill.

Zimke Zlovoljni said:
Swadius said:

That's strange, I used every single antivirus and Noton proved to be the best. Have you tried to play with settings, set heuristic  and boot time protection on aggressive (that's is the most important thing), sonar is also very useful.

I think arch touched on this a few years ago, all anti-virus programs generally share their knowledge about potential malware, or at least they generally drawn from the same source of information on new malware. I think where antivirus software earns its money is against viruses that actively tries to shut down the program when it infects the computer. The probability of one antivirus program catching a virus over another isn't all that high from what I've interpreted from "research". Maybe Norton does offer better protection than the rest of the programs, I wouldn't know, I can only tell you that Avast free version was shut down by a particularly powerful virus I once contracted.

Swadius said:

+1

Norton is blind.

Devercia said:
Swadius said:

+1

Norton is blind.

To be fair however, none of the other anti virus programs found it either :razz:.

I bought a Panda license recently and am pretty pleased with it,little to no performance loss and I haven't had any viruses either.But of course that all depends on your personal internet use.

@topic:grin:on't know **** about it.

Back
Top Bottom