Turning off autoplay

Users who are viewing this thread

alesch

Sergeant
My computer is dying. It's a slow and painful process that I'm doing my best to prolong just because I'm to poor to buy a new computer. Recently my CD-ROM drive has started to want to die on me, which is a sad thing because it really is one of my favorite bits of hardware. My CD-R has been dead for years now, the CD-ROM is really the only type of removable media I have left before having to fall back to the absolutely unkillable 3.5 drives.

The main problem with my CD-ROM's slow death is that it makes it hard to get any use out of my little game collection, mostly because of the autoplay.
You see my CD-ROM has decided to stutter, it loses track of the CD-ROM for very short bits of time, not even enough time to stall a program or anything runnign from it, but just long enough to bring a copy of the autoplay up. I've put CD's in and had up to 78 ajutoplays or installers apear before my computer locked up completely. I'm going to replace the CDROM with one I've salvaged from an old, slightly refurbished clunker my old school was nice enough to donate to me (since they were goign to throw it away anyway, one of the kids decided to start rippign up circuits and wires...) in the mean time I'd really like to be able to get the most out of what's left of my CD-ROM, which I think I cvan do by disabling the autoplay. I don't remember how to do that at all, and I'm hopiong someone on the forums knows how to disable the CD-ROMs autoplay on a Windows 98 machine.

Much appreciated.

Disabling AutoPlay Temporarily

Tip: You can temporarily disable the AutoPlay feature by holding down the left shift key as the CD begins to run. In addition if you wish to browse the contents of the CD open My Computer, right click the CD-ROM drive and choose explore.

If you wish to permanently disable the AutoPlay feature follow the below steps for your version of Microsoft Windows.

Disabling AutoPlay on a data CD (Windows 95, 98, and ME)

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, and double click the System icon
2. Open Device Manager
3. Click the + next to CD-ROM and double click the currently installed CD-ROM drive.
4. In the CD-ROM properties click the Settings Tab and verify that there is not a check within the Auto Insert Notification section.

If the My Autorun or AutoPlay feature still does not work after following the above recommendations and you are running Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98.

It is possible that after attempting to follow the above recommendations that the computer will still not AutoPlay CDs. If this is the case you may want to try the following solution, providing you are aware how to navigate the computer registry and are familiar with the possible issues that can be caused when editing the registry. You can find this information on our Registry page.

Within regedit, navigate into the following folders:

HKEY_USERS
.DEFAULT
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
WINDOWS
CURRENTVERSION
POLICIES
EXPLORER

Once within the Explorer folder, Double click the entry: "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" if present and change the value to "95 00 00 00"

If NoDriveTypeAutoRun is not present, follow the below steps:

click Edit from the drop down menu
click new
click binary value
enter "NoDriveTypeAutoRun" as the name
enter "95 00 00 00" as the value

Once the above has been completed, exit regedit and reboot the computer; your issue should be resolved.

Hope this helps! :wink:

I'll give those methods a shot, thank you very much.

Now I might get to play throiugh Deus Ex for a 5th time :lol:

Well, if you already have a game installed, and just need it to read the disc to play it(provided its having trouble doing that), you could search the internet for a cd crack of your game. Basically, you won't need the cd to play the game if its already installed. And to my knowledge, this is perfectly legal so long as you do in fact own the cd.

Installing the games was the problem, because I generally reformat my computer pretty regularly. Anyway, I managed to disable the autopplay thanks to alphabeta, and the installers seem to be running smoothly enough now.

I do get cracks for my games sometimes, because cracks generally reduce certain memory eating features, and my games seem to run better when I use them.

Back
Top Bottom