Some New Ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

I DL'ed this game about a week ago, and am amazed by the sheer fun of it. I've been playing for over 20 hours, and its still loads of fun.

I have a couple suggestions for this awesome game, which, in my humble opinion, would make it even better:

Setting spears:
Giving the ability to spearmen to brace their spears against the ground in preparation for a cavalry charge. If the knight charged them, the horse would impale itself upon the spear, possibly knocking out the horse in one blow. The spearman would be able to turn, though slowly, but fast enough to hit a knight if they tried to swerve around the spear. This would give footsoldiers with spears a chance against cavalry, though it would require more coding and the like.

'Reactive' Parrying (for lack of a better name): This would be a parry that, instead of just holding your weapon and waiting for the enemy to hit it, you'd strike out for their weapon. This would be in addition to normal parrying. It could add a very short recovery time for the person who was trying to strike you, giving you more time to do your next move, but you'd also have to time it right and be close enough. I'm not certain about this, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Shield Bashing: To me, this is most important for fighting archers. Since they can just hold back the bow and then nail you the instant you let your shield down to attack, I'd love to see the ability to shove them with your shield. It wouldn't even have to do damage, just knock the bow so that their aim is horribly messed up or that they loose the arrow unintentionally.

Bulding Your Own Town:
I know this has been oft discussed. The basic premise of my idea would be basically the same: your character, for an exorbitant amount of money, would be able to select a point on the map where they could build a small fort.

Here's my take on it: It would probably start out as a small, palisaded area with a wooden keep. It would be interactive, and probably all fit on one battle map (though the terrain would be pretty flat inside the walls) and include a few basic buildings. To get it built, and get those first buildings in there, you might have to go around to groups of peasants offering to pay them to build it for you. It would also have a keep you could rest at and decorate. The walls and fortifications would be upgradeable. You could get stone walls, towers, balistas, pots of oil, etc.

Of course, all this would take a lot of upkeep to maintain. And you'd probably want to pay soldiers to guard it whlie your gone, along with an administrator to manage it. You'd be able to hire soldiers, but would have to buy their armor and arms.

But you would also gain income if you invited some farmers to start farming near your fort in exchange for protection (So you'd have to fight all the riff raff that goes through your territory attacking your peasants). And if a dynamic economy was included, you could tax that too.

And a new outpost would not go unnoticed by the major powers, either. Depending on where you built it, the vaegirs and swadians would send scouts to demand you swear allegiance to a certain king. Or, if your fort was deep in vaegir territtory, the swadians might try to persuade you with gifts to join (and probalby ignore you if you declined). But if you were in vaegir territory and turned down allegiance to the vaegirs, they'd send lots of war parties at you. And if you were in the middle of the countries, they'd both try to capture you if you didn't swear allegiance to one.

Or, a king could grant you the right to a plot of land. And although the vaegir king would allow an outpost deep in swadian territory, the swadians would attack you without hesitation.

And when the enemies attacked, you'd be fighting in the actual town. Think about it: a small palisaded camp with a large wooden keep, archers patrolling the walls and shooting as enemy soldiers approach and try to batter down the gate medieval style. You fight on the ground as they enter, slowly backing up to the wall. But you see that they are to many for you, and order your archers to retreat into your keep. From the windows, they pepper the enemy soldiers while you and a handful of swordsmen stay fighting on the walls. Finally, you are forced to retreat into the keep, where you lock the door. They keep on attacking, but are almost annihilated. Finally, you burst out, sword raised on high, and they turn and run in fear. You take out a javelin and throw it at them, hitting one in the head while your archers kill the rest.

I know this is a tall order, but I think some parts may fit in M&B 1.

MuiltiPlayer:
I know there's a very slim chance of this making it into M&B 1, so take these as suggestions for M&B 2. I think it'd be amazingly great to have mulitiplayer. The setup would work thusly: The host would decide what level he wanted the players to be, and the players would choose attribute and skill points. The host would also set what weapons and items would be allowed (incase he wanted just an archery war, for example) The host would then set a cash limit that players could use to buy any item they wanted. They could blow it all on armor (but be like a turtle, slow and relatively harmless) or weapons, etc.

And if the game supported user made maps, the host could choose to have a specific map (like a tournament) or just set some parameters for the map (like the flatness, amount of water, terrain type, weather, etc.)

And the host could also decide how and if players respawned. They could have instant respawning (or only a small, 1-5 second delay) or have the players come back in waves of reinforcements.

You could have multiple gameplay types, like plain old free for all, dueling, or a team tournament, or having one side be the attackers and have to capture a point, or day of defeat style multiple capture points which give points to the team that owns them. And one that would be exceptional would be cooperative, players joining together against hordes of AI controlled units.

Crazed Rabbit

Yah know, instead of needing to hit a seperate key for shield bash, it could be an automatic on Rt-Click (Up). Range of say 50, you'd have to be trying to mate with the guy when you do it, but it could be an auto-push. Just enough to force a re-aim, or take someone out of a swing.

YES, YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES, i agree with every one of your suggestions , LET ARMAGAN LOOK UPON THIS KINDLY. This would make this game ABSOLOUTLY RULE.

I hope you know how much i totally agree here.

Ian

Kniggit, have you read a suggestion on M&B you didn't like? :grin: I kid, I kid.

Regarding archers and using a shield bash against them

It sounds reasonable but I would like to add in the archer's defense that shield carriers are getting 100% frontal coverage right now. An archer can't get a frontal head shot against an enemy approaching with his shield up high. The archer can't get a frontal leg or foot shot either when that shield is in place. The enemy may only be carrying a small round shield but he's protected as though he had a forcefield. Only that small interval when the enemy raises his weapon and lowers his shield does the archer get his...BAMM! he's just been knocked backward by the shield.

So then I'd add the shield should not be 100% effective against frontal shots. This is becoming old territory and I know many believe the shield must by 100% effective "or its worthless" but I don't believe that's true. Algo es mejor que nada.

Regarding the Town/World of one's own

Very ambitious, as I say everytime this is suggested. I repeat my basic observation: can we realistically expect something that big, when right now our cities are virtually menus only, our taverns empty, so much content is undone? I like the idea, I mean go nuts, but something is better than nothing.

Actually yea, that sprinting thing awhile ago seriously had me worried, i hate havin xerina in the arena already backpedal faster than me, imagine if she sprinted backwards. No thanks, but it would make it impossible to win in the arena with that thing on *shudders*

But generally i like most suggestions, although some i hate, but i dunno why so i keep my mouth shut. :grin:

'Reactive' Parrying (for lack of a better name): This would be a parry that, instead of just holding your weapon and waiting for the enemy to hit it, you'd strike out for their weapon. This would be in addition to normal parrying. It could add a very short recovery time for the person who was trying to strike you, giving you more time to do your next move, but you'd also have to time it right and be close enough. I'm not certain about this, but thought I'd throw it out there.

I like this idea the most (mainly because the others have been discussed before) and I think an easy way to implement it would be: hold down the block button+hit attack button as their weapon is swinging at you.

For shield-bashing with the 2-handed weapons maybe while you're in the "block attack" position after the blow is stopped, you can shoot out your hand for an open-palm hit to the chest to knock them back (maybe even swing a fist at the head to knock the enemy down?) for a momentary stun, but still putting a little distance between you.

As long as the shield becomes less protective, i'm in favour of shield bashing. Or for that matter bashing with any weapon.

You don't really need a separate key for bashing, you could just press the Use key.

But for bashing, i think it would be neat if you could do it with any weapon.
Basically a bash would be a quick attack that does very little damage, but just interrupts what the enemy is doing. Of course it needs to be blockable.

For a two handed sword at close range I'd say a sword hilt to the forehead would be a better form of 'bash' then a palm to the chest. I'm in love with the idea of having your own castle, I mean seriously how cool would it be to have your own knights riding out from a castle wall to sortie against an enemy war party that was sieging it?

It sounds reasonable but I would like to add in the archer's defense that shield carriers are getting 100% frontal coverage right now.

That is true, and it would be good to actually change that to reflect the size of the shield. If the archer is good enough to hit the head, the the enemy ought to get an arrow in the head. Though, you might also have to give people the ability to raise the shield to cover their head (and expose their legs). And I don't know if this is the case now, but it'd be nice if the shield also blocked even when you just had it by your side (though it would need to be implemented with the 'reformed shield coverage' so you just didn't have a side forcefield.)

Very ambitious, as I say everytime this is suggested. I repeat my basic observation: can we realistically expect something that big, when right now our cities are virtually menus only, our taverns empty, so much content is undone? I like the idea, I mean go nuts, but something is better than nothing.

I realize it would have to wait a while, even until M&B 2. But I think it'd be good to get a discussion about the details going (counting one's eggs while they're still hard, white and round, I know). And I've played a lot of Medieval Total War. :grin:

I think an easy way to implement it would be: hold down the block button+hit attack button as their weapon is swinging at you.

Sounds good to me.

And I don't know how much this has been discussed before, but why not make running backwards a bit slower than running forwards? I like beig able to run backwards and hit a line of river pirates on the head as they trail me, but it seems somewhat...unrealistic. I'd like to see sprinting too; not a lot faster (depending on armor) and it last a while (5 seconds?) but take a long time to recharge.

Crazed Rabbit

i guess that would be ok :???: i wouldnt mind having the backpedal be slower, because it is in real life, but there are certain things that go with that, for instance if someone is sprinting at you, and your backpedaling, your slower, ive been in this situaltion in real life (not real blades but reenactment) and i dont just continue to run backwards, i thrust my shoulder at them and sidestep, throwing them off balance then takin a nice swing at the side as they pass by. I like the combat the way it is, and if im not mistaken, i think backpedal is slower than runnin forward in the game now.

Mayn people want this game to be painfuilly real, and they keep suggesting more realistic things, which is fine, but there are certain things that go with these requests, im sure they would take a long time to implement. and there is such things as "too real" like if you had 15 differne tattack things, its hard to remeber them all

But ive strayed way off topic, back to the point: Sprinting

I wouldnt mind it if it was set up like morrowind is, you have a fatigue bar, and you hits caps lock to toggle running or walking. As you charachtr builds up in morrowind though, he can run for an extreme amount of time. When running the fatigue bar steadily dwindles away, and in a fight is fades a little faster, eventually your attack will do no damamge becase you are totally exuaghsted.

Ian

I'm sure it's been said before, but this post is here and easy to bump. I really think the spear setting option is a much-needed addition at this point. It's just about the only thing that a non-ranged footsoldier has to counter the lancers' couched lance. That would really give the mounted soldier something to fear, finally! I think, though, that for something powerful enough to kill a horse in one blow, it'd be appropriate to make it for two-handed polearms only (and obviously restricted to those that do piercing damage). I also wholeheartedly agree with the shield bash, but only once Armagan is able to implement full-scale hitboxes for head, torso, shield, etc. That may be something to look for in the sequel, but I think it would make the game as-is a much better game and a HUGE seller. Having purchased this for 11 dollars, I'd be willing to chip in my extra 14 bucks to full price for that feature alone. I and many of my hardcore gaming friends have been looking for a mounted combat game such as this for as long as I can remember. Armagan, you're the greatest. Thanks for such a great product and an awesome development philosophy.

How many times doo I need to say? You can already counter a couched lance with a two handed sword! Or a bardiche, polearm, etc...

I'm going to put up screenshots (or small videos if I get the space).

All that is needed is wider unit selection and some better AI.

What's at issue isn't whether or not you can counter a couched lance. It's that a couched lance can do MASSIVE damage, and there's no balance against that. If you could set a spear/pike and INSTANTLY KILL the horse or rider or BOTH, then you'd have balance. Anyone who's gotten a couched lance to the head probably feels that there ought to be a way to kill those charging bastards just as easily. But the tradeoff would be that you'd need a rather specialized weapon (two-hand piercing polearm) which isn't as versatile against other enemies. The archer is capable of doing massive damage with a headshot, but that's balanced because once you get close to them, their screwed. And shields let you get close pretty easily. The settable spear would make the game more interesting both for and against lancers. If I'm charging with a great lance, it's a pretty risky operation to "counter" that with a broadsword. A set pike that's as long as my lance, however, would make me think twice.

Cool idea with the shield bash, but I don't think shields need to be more ffective against archers. I'd actually like to see it used to give yourself some breathing room when overwhelmed in melee, for instance when you have a shield and a thrown weapon (a surprisingly effective combo).

And building and defending a fort is just too cool for school. Something along those lines should definitely be implemented down the road or M&B will be missing something wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom