Favorite M&B Warband Faction to Start as.

What is your favorite Mount and Blade Warband faction to start out as?

• Nords

Votes: 44 33.3%
  • Swadians

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Khergits

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Rhodoks

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • Vaegirs

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Sarranids

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I've played every faction except the Khergits, and I gotta say that Vaegirs win hands down. 

I tend to think of the faction in a tactical sense.  The Vaegirs make the most sense because of their starting position.  Their main enemies are the Khergits and Nords; both heavily specialized civilizations bearing glaring weaknesses.  The Khergits because of their weakness in sieges, and Nords due to their lack of cavalry.  Plus, it doesn't hurt that several Sea Raiders gangs like to roam the coast near Rivacheg.  If a grab a few Swadian knights to make up for my defensive weaknesses, I can do almost anything.  The only problem comes when the Khergits and Nords declare war simultaneously.  That's  a very, very bad situation for me. 

Why not any other faction?  Well, I'm a cavalry-guy, so I don't like the Nords or Rhodoks.  The Swadians are surrounded by enemies just itching for a fight, my little army is usually swallowed up in the chaos.  The Sarranids were fun for a while, but their lands were just too barren for my tastes, and their units were not worth it until I received the mamalukes.  And the Khergits lacked the heavy shock cavalry I desired. 

But that's just my take, unit-wise, I agree that other nations surpass the Vaegirs on most fields. 

tau434 said:
I've played every faction except the Khergits, and I gotta say that Vaegirs win hands down. 

I tend to think of the faction in a tactical sense.  The Vaegirs make the most sense because of their starting position.  Their main enemies are the Khergits and Nords; both heavily specialized civilizations bearing glaring weaknesses.  The Khergits because of their weakness in sieges, and Nords due to their lack of cavalry.  Plus, it doesn't hurt that several Sea Raiders gangs like to roam the coast near Rivacheg.  If a grab a few Swadian knights to make up for my defensive weaknesses, I can do almost anything.  The only problem comes when the Khergits and Nords declare war simultaneously.  That's  a very, very bad situation for me. 

Why not any other faction?  Well, I'm a cavalry-guy, so I don't like the Nords or Rhodoks.  The Swadians are surrounded by enemies just itching for a fight, my little army is usually swallowed up in the chaos.  The Sarranids were fun for a while, but their lands were just too barren for my tastes, and their units were not worth it until I received the mamalukes.  And the Khergits lacked the heavy shock cavalry I desired. 

But that's just my take, unit-wise, I agree that other nations surpass the Vaegirs on most fields.

hmmm. Rhodoks have a gud tactical poistioning too. THeir territories are mostly in mountains , which gives them advantage as a non-cavalry faction against cavalry. The Main Thing is that Vaegir's armor isnt as gud as Swadian's or Nords.

Satrab said:
For me is
1 Khergits. For their awesome speed. (I love speed. Especially when lancing.It's better that way.)
2 Nords. Axes FTW.  :smile:
3 Rhodoks or Swadians. Rhodoks for Crossbows and Glaives, and Swadians for their crossbows and lances.
Plain simple for me...
have you ever seen a rhodok actually use his glaive? Think only sergeants get glaive and they stick with their shield and hammer(<= huge amount of prisonners)

ChapterMaster said:
hmmm. Rhodoks have a gud tactical poistioning too. THeir territories are mostly in mountains , which gives them advantage as a non-cavalry faction against cavalry. The Main Thing is that Vaegir's armor isnt as gud as Swadian's or Nords.

True, but that's only the defensive.  When it comes to the offense, the Rhodoks must suddenly come to deal with the relatively flat grasslands of Swadia and the deserts of the Sarranids.  These are prime areas for cavalry charges. 

Plus, the Vaegirs have significantly cheaper units than the Swadians and Nords.  Therefore, numbers play a large part in their attack; I always max out my speed to avoid enemy armies I know I can't fight.  Plus, I avoid long-pitched battles by training mostly heavy cavalry forces and then charging them right into the mass of infantry.  This usually breaks apart the formation or weakens it at the very least, making the armor difference less significant. 

I vote Vaegirs.  I dislike too much specialization.  And the Sarranids have too hard a start.  Dreadful early troops combined with those damned desert bandits.
Mainly, I like them because, while they aren't the best at anything(except archery), they aren't the worst at anything either.  They are in the middle.  Playing with the Vaegirs like you would the Swadians is like playing the Swadians with only their footman and crossbowmen.  Fairly rediculous.
My order goes like this:
1. Vaegirs
2. Rhodoks
3. Sarranids
4. Nords
5. Swadians
6. Khergits

Khergits.  The lancers are cheap, The archers are fast, together their horses will trample your... fief's grass.

Nords are a close second, although it seems whenever I join them they always decide to declare war on everything ever. I then end up getting chased around by the combined efforts of a Khergit horde and a Sarranid army consisting of 800 screaming horsemen and 1000 sun-blotter-outer master archers.

The Feast of Valhalla was gate-crashed by 127 upset Huscarls that day.

Khergits are my favorite. Lots of nice horse units quickly and lots of bandits on horses for fun and crazy fights. The other two big horse units are the Mameluke and swadian knights. These simply take to long to train up to and they don't carry a bow so the fights aren't as messy, so they are out of the running. Rhodoks is second, very safe place to start and you don't need the final upgrades to their units to start playing them. Third is Nords just for the huscarls. Fun to sit back as they go up and over the walls in a siege and I see a massive wall of death text appear. Vaegirs just never catch my attention. The archers are supposed to be very good. But I find the rhodoks sharp shooters to be more durable and with the slower fire rate they actually have ammo when the second or third wave of enemies rolls up.

I like to start with Khergits, but that's because in an early new game I only fight a few bandits and the like here and there, travelling around to do trading and/or tournaments to build up money, gather heroes, start enterprises and acquire some good gear. Khergits are the best for lots of quick travel for trades and tournies.

I never stick with Khergits but end up joining Rhodoks, Nords, swadia, or sarranid when I'm ready to swear fealty to get some castles and towns before starting up my own kingdom.

I like the Swadians because they are always at war so I don't have to go bandit hunting, and the Swadian knights dominate.

But when it really comes down to it the Sarranids have the coolest looking castles/Lord halls, especially Shariz. Whenever I start a game my goal is to get Shariz as my fief either by joining Sarranids and letting them lose it, then immeditately reconquering it, or by joining a neighbor and stealing it. Then whoever I marry hopefully the father chooses to send their daughter to Shariz, cause nothing makes a better castle to come home to.

The Rhodoks also have some seriously difficult castles to siege.

I don't like factions without cavalry units as my main. If I want Huscarls I'll go grab some recruits though. Also horse archers are amazing, not because they get many kills but because they kite bandits like nothing else so I can go around lancing them down without being targeted by 90% of the bandit horde.

I love Khergits mainly becouse of their Lancers  :roll:.

They are pretty  much at war with everyone though so no need to hunt for bandits. They start war with Swadia lot of times. You can beat the Swadian ass then eh :grin:

The very first time I played warband Singeplayer I went with the Sarranids and I really liked the playing field. The huge desert landscapes, the enviorment, the cities and the Sarranid culture it was so amazing it felt like I was in a completely different game with the same engine. In that aspect the Devs really knew how to suprise even a "veteran" warband player. So I've definitly picked the Sarranids in the poll.

Besides that I've always liked the Nords because of their axes, throwing weapons, location on the map and the Nord Huscarl unit. It's definitly one of my first locations I visit on the worldmap.

Besides that I've picked Swadia because I like to party and I like to have acces to knights at the early start of the game when on a Charisma/Intelligence based characters and I picked Rhodoks. The Rhodoks are a safe choice. Granted the bandits can be a bit annoying and you will have a lot of battles on steep hills (ya can't really call them mountains) but your safe from most factions and you can get some good crossbowman.

i go to sarranids, they are usually easiest to conquer so i just get khergits and then make war with sarranids, conquer them in about 100 days

The Nords are always my choice. They're the vile anachronisms of MnB, and there's just something about King Ragnar that I enjoy... Well that, and I'm no fan of horse combat, so having an army of infantry is alright by me. Charge in, rape the village, burn the women; all that good stuff.

Also, they're usually the easiest to take down when it comes to not obeying your masters.

I don't mean to stereotype a fictional race of people, but it seems to me that the Nords seem to have the highest ratio of jerk-ass lords compared to the other factions.  By that I mean that, usually being a goody-two-shoes, mr. honorable lord, I tend to end up with a 100 relation with all the other goody two-shoes lords in the game. Nords always seem to hate me though, even when I let them free and stuff.

Khergits, on the other hand... you know, for being based off the relentless Mongol horde, the Noyans seem pretty big on western "chivalry" values...

A Highly Visible Ninja said:
I don't mean to stereotype a fictional race of people, but it seems to me that the Nords seem to have the highest ratio of jerk-ass lords compared to the other factions.  By that I mean that, usually being a goody-two-shoes, mr. honorable lord, I tend to end up with a 100 relation with all the other goody two-shoes lords in the game. Nords always seem to hate me though, even when I let them free and stuff.

Khergits, on the other hand... you know, for being based off the relentless Mongol horde, the Noyans seem pretty big on western "chivalry" values...

Agree on both, thankfully this is Calradia and they are Khergits, not Mongols. Some of the 'based-on's' might be more or less accurate when compared to their real life inspirations, but that's ok. Heck the Sarranid Sultanate is a mish mash of 2 or 3 different cultures.

A Highly Visible Ninja said:

The amount of "jerk-ass" lords and honorable lords are evenly distributed throughout each faction.  Probably you have not met the appropriate lords yet.

Back
Top Bottom