The companions I'm making

Do you like the idea of the new companions?

• Yes

Votes: 192 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • You lazy ass making us do the work! :p

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • Try... read my post

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

manekemaan

Sergeant Knight
Ok guys so here is what is what:

Originally I was making 16 new companions based on a game I used to play.

#npc17 = Dart Feld
#npc18 = Shana
#npc19 = Lavitz Slambert 
#npc20 = Rose
#npc21 = Haschel
#npc22 = King Albert
#npc23 = Meru
#npc24 = Kongol
#npc25 = Miranda
#npc26 = Lloyd
#npc27 = Dabas
#npc28 = Drake The Bandit
#npc29 = Commander Puler
#npc30 = Master Tasman
#npc31 = Indora
#npc32 = Zieg Feld

These would all be pretty cool, all would have one skill at lvl 10 and the rest normal. All would start at normal lvl. 7 of these companions would revolve around Dart Feld, the leader before they came to this country. 5 of the 16 are of noble blood. They all have very specific moralities, proficiencies and limited rebuilding space (my goal was to make you follow their chosen path)

But these are for later because you guys wanted faction based companions.

So now we will try to do this:

#npc17 = Antarian inspired
#npc18 = Vilianese inspired
#npc19 = Marinian inspired
#npc20 = Aden inspired
#npc21 = Zerikian inspired
#npc22 = Imperial inspired
#npc23 = The one inspired
#npc24 = The old gods inspired
#npc25 = The void inspired
#npc26 = Natural philosphy inspired
#npc27 = Spirituel enlightement inspired
#npc28 = Black army inspired
#npc29 = Jotnar clan inspired
#npc30 = Elephant guard inspired
#npc31 = Serpent host inspired
#npc32 = Conquistador inspired

Now how do I want you guys to help me?

Make your own companion:

Example:

#npc23 = The one inspired

Name: XXXXXXX
Fighting style: XXXXX (must state guideline for armor, horse and weapons)
Personality:XXXX
Backstory: XXXX

EDIT: Forget those first companions, dart etc. They  where the ones I WAS making, but i stoped for now because we are going to make faction companions first!

NOTE: we have adequate companions now. You are more than welcome to post more but don't be mad if they aren't included. The better they are the more likely to get inside!

NOTE2: We are now working on the dialogues. Check the topic for more info (page 1:cool:

I think I'm going to participate in voting, but personally I'd suggest you to do a little bit of each.

Option 1.: 16 companions based on a not SOD story, adjusted to fit into the sod world?
This can be quite effective, both medieval mythology and modern pop culture offer an endless amount of figures you can exploit, but I generally advise you to add something extra to the basic material. Ie, a Lancelot-like knight who is (literally) obsessed with... ahem, *engaging* with the opposite gender... or make Cluny the Scourge (from the Redwall series) into a human mercenary... etc. you get the idea

Option 2.: 16 companions based on my own experiences in SOD
Well, personal experiences can vary from player to player, but if you've got a good idea - say, converting the character you used to beat SOD Gold into a Companion with enriched backstory and personalized equipment - don't be afraid to use it.

Option 3.: 16 companions based on the factions, both normal as mercenary as bandit
I tended to use this approach in the past for my own works but realized that unless you pay close attention to personal characteristics of the Companions you'll end up with a bunch of highly stereotypical figures (ie, all Antarians are righteous plate-clad paladins, Marinans have the best scientists/engineers, etc). This approach can be a source of inspiration nevertheless just watch out how to use it.

Option 4.: 16 companions based on nothing but what the forum people suggest
This is a double-edged blade. Back when I spent some time working on Companions for the "Revenge of the Berserk" mod (it was an open 'competition'), I perceived that while some people (usually roleplay fans) can and eventually will come up with some astonishingly good ideas, the majority of character ideas often turned out dull, unfitting to the setting or lacking many details. Then again, those few good character designs which surface in such a competition are like precious little gems...

At least that's what I think.

Option 5: The companions in the Raj Whitehall series by David Drake and S. M. Stirling.  Let me know if you want an ebook copy.
Another variation would be the companions in John Ringo's "Prince Roger" series.  That's a free electronic book here: http://www.webscription.net/p-267-march-upcountry.aspx
Another series with a strong supporting cast is David Drake's "Leary-Mundy" series.  The first one's free here: http://www.webscription.net/p-469-with-the-lightnings.aspx

Any of the above, or a whole lot of other characters from Baen books would be great with me.

Also, I'd give a lot for more than 16 total companions.  I'm running my persuasion staff ragged and my fighting staff is looking a little chewed.

I want you all to remember that Ponavosa is like new found land. It's like the Americas when Indians ruled or the California gold rush and the Oregon Trail. During the story phase most of the land is still ruled by Natives. The Mainland factions are the ones Invading. The Imperials were here first; but because they lost the war in Calradia they lost the ability to continue the invasion/enslaving of Ponavosa.

So Ponavosa is a land like that of the movie "Jurassic Park 3 - The Lost World". So Ponavosa is a found, but lost again land, but found again 20 years later after the Legion failed to secure it. The Natives were just like the indians were during the invasion of the imperials. Since the lack off land support from mainland imperials, they were overwhelmed by the Ponavosan natives and those they made slaves. So in 20 years time when the rest of the mainland factions found Ponavosa they've decided to colonize it. Sending subsidiaries of there own kingdoms to the land.

This time the Natives of Ponavosa are more aware of foreign powers and the Natives will be very hostile to any foreign Country as to not repeat the same invasion/massacre of there people 20 years ago. They will do anything to protect there country. So make sure to reflect the companions based on that, and don't put too much detail into character dialog. We don't want to discourage the player from reading a wall of text. If it is engaging and interesting than surely we can shape our companions in the game.

Ponavosa is seen to most as a new start to some, or a get away from past mistakes. Some people see it as new territory or a place of profit and/or gain/opportunity. The only issue with this is that the natives are very hostile.

So between the release of multiplayer and the story phase, the game layout and presentation will greatly change. This means lords, troops, names, town/castle/village positions, claimed land, will take a change for the lore and story.

Any one of those options by itself seems a too limiting.

16 companions based on whatever source of inspiration works for you.

Lamey said:
Any one of those options by itself seems a too limiting.

16 companions based on whatever source of inspiration works for you.
Yeah, Lamey has a really good point. I think MM is just trying to narrow things down a bit though, to give more of a focus.

Based on what Computica said about the back story I think there should be at least one companion who is a native of the continent. Though the natives are hostile as in the American history there were a few who were willing to assist the new comers in learning the land and terrain.

So having one or maybe even two "tribal" companions would allow you insight into the story of Ponavosa before the invasion. Just an idea for a bit of back story.

For the rest of the companions splitting among the choices would be a good idea so you wouldn't have to worry about restarting if you came up with a great idea for a companion who didn't fit in with the line you were working on.

And with this post I lose my forum virginity  :grin:

Dragonor said:
Based on what Computica said about the back story I think there should be at least one companion who is a native of the continent. Though the natives are hostile as in the American history there were a few who were willing to assist the new comers in learning the land and terrain.

So having one or maybe even two "tribal" companions would allow you insight into the story of Ponavosa before the invasion. Just an idea for a bit of back story.

Having several 'native' Companions is a reasonable idea, but - being the story-writer of the mod - I can promise you there will be several neutral NPCs who will give you insight to Ponavosan culture (which is primarily mayan/aztec inspired).

Dragonor said:

We mourn your loss.

To be honest, I always thought it'd be interesting to have an entire nation ally with the invaders to fight their enemies on the island, much like the Huron tribes allied with France against the other Iroquis tribes. From this could spawn several interesting companions, on both sides of the war.

Dragonor said:
Hopefully this could encourage the rest of our forum lurkers who haven't lost their "forum" virginity to lose it here.

I like to see everyone's opinions about the game. It'll just make the mod that better.

With this mod, we have a lot of potential to make some cool companions, I can't wait to start developing the story code.

Dragonor said:

For the rest of the companions splitting among the choices would be a good idea so you wouldn't have to worry about restarting if you came up with a great idea for a companion who didn't fit in with the line you were working on.

As somebody with a fairly small, but real Cherokee heritage, allow me to assure you that almost everybody called a Redneck has some Native American ancestry. The Scots-Irish mixed pretty strongly with the natives, which is one reason why there are a whole lot of us with ancestors who walked here.  (Real rednecks are related to the Scottish Presbyterians who signed the Covenant in blood and wore red scarves afterward to display their conviction.  Many of those folks were sent to "colonize" Ireland, and after a generation or so gave that up as a bad plan and went to America where the number of Kings and Lords in play was much smaller...a close enough approximation to zero to please a populace quite tired of being used by the aforementioned royals and nobles.)

Now in America the French were masters of making friends with native peoples, using the ancient expedient of helping tribes attack each other to gain diplomatic capital. 

Now in Korea, my father had a buddy who got in a bit of trouble because some people found out he was taking scalps.  My dad's buddy got out of trouble by the simple method of showing the folks in HQ the treaty the US signed that gave members of his tribe the right to take scalps when they were fighting for the USA.  That not only got my dad's buddy out of trouble, it got him on the next flight out to the land of the big PX. While the US Marine Corps was certainly the most effective conventional fighting organization in that conflict, they were more than bright enough to see the mountain of public relations manure falling on them when word of the special privilege got out.  They might have been a little worried that the other US Marines would hear about it and start the practice, then the RoK Marines would have been picking up the habit in a heartbeat.

I would Have to say a little bit of each. It would be cool to find a few natives and anderan's and what not, but it would also be cool to just meet some regular joe's.

Fully or semi customizable companions based on your background choices.  Some of them you should be able to name yourself and set their own attribute points.  Kind of like forming your own party to work together.

Or maybe there are 16 or so in the game, but based on your background only eight of them are available to you and a set of quests helps you locate them.  So something happens and you all got separated blah, blah <creative people insert here>.  That would give the companions more of a purpose and help people become invested in them.  My 2 cents.

very good sugestion jagh, but it would be a little hard to code i'm afraid,

what is an effect of your choices in the beginning is: the way you chose is often the way you act and some companions will dislike you acting in certain ways

manekemaan said:
very good sugestion jagh, but it would be a little hard to code i'm afraid,

what is an effect of your choices in the beginning is: the way you chose is often the way you act and some companions will dislike you acting in certain ways
I know that 1200AD had swarms of companions with the interaction turned off.  If there could be a camp menu option that let you turn off interaction in exchange for 48 companions, I'm pretty sure just about everybody would get their RPG fix elsewhere and go with lots of companions. 

I don't know how interested you are in building new interactions, but it one of the least important aspects of the game for me.  I'm kind of interested in seeing some new dialogue, but I'm mostly interested in a strong core of good staff officers and maybe some loyal companions made from unemployed lords who might later become lords again.

It would all make a lot more difference if there was an actual "Governing" skill that helped be a better ruler.

Like I mentioned before I'm currently developing a new companion system. If companion complaints are off you'll have the benefit of having many. if left on they add a party effect bonus to your current party.

So in this way your companions will be in a leadership mode when under you. If complaints are off then there in more of a troop mode. It makes sense because if you have several companions leading then they will get in disagreements with one another.

I'm personally considering to add 'unlockable' Companion features (since I'm also working on new Companions). For example: an alchemist and a sneaky thief constantly argue, but if the Player helps them to work out differences through a series of dialogues they not only become good companions, but grant the Player an extra option in sieges: to poison the water supply of a castle/town to reduce the days needed to make the defenders starve - at the cost of Honor. This way even strong garrisons could be brought to their knees.

Such useful extras would encourage Players to pay heed to companions, but I nevertheless encourage adding an on/off switch.

MorrisB, that is a really awesome idea. I've always wanted more functionally with companions, instead of them just accompanying me into battle.

Don't forget to add a companion who's whole life is to go to the new land and kill natives and make gold.... like a Spaniard to south America .

Back
Top Bottom