Tournaments

Users who are viewing this thread

Magnachar

Recruit
Back in the middle ages, a noble man was able to earn his living with tournaments... The current arena fighting is a good technical demo but could give more thrills... and more rewards too...

Knight tournaments... Make some One on One jousting, plan 4 or 5 fights in a row (increasing difficulty), and you have a full tournament system. Have some rewards (gold and weapons/armors/horses) distributed for the winner.
Make the tournament a moving one : Next tournament in Tihr in one day. Have titles given : Winner of the Tihr tournament... Have some inter tournament over-all title for the one who wins all tournaments...
As an option : have us choose before each fight between mounted or unmounted fight, or have the last fight unmounted and 'to the death'...

Along the knight tournament, you could have an archer challenge, with dummy targets and/or one on one archery fight. Same reward system, with bow/arrows and titles.

And as a status upgrader, have some free for all fight for those who have a faction. Like the current 3vs3 but between the two realms only.

From a technical point of view, the arena is great, but lacks sounds. Put some Oooo and Aaaa and clappings when there's action. Could even be some rotten cabage thrown when the fight is lame, or real madness when you put all the red team on the ground singlehanded :smile:

No problem for me with the current arena design. You can try some other combination (shape of arena / sand on the ground) in different towns to give some "local" feeling in tournaments...
You can combine that with different number of foes and/or better or worse rewards ... Small arena with no public and small rewards for a start, then go to the big city to fight before the king versus some of the best knight in the world, with the cheers of the crowd in the background...

edit : could have some requisites for a tournament... not everyone can fight before the king lad! And let us use our own armor/weapons/horse...

Excellent ideas, but battles "to the death" wouldn't really work as you can't die in this game...

I think that the 'to the death' part could be balanced quite nicely by the player forfeiting his horse and armour if he loses (as well as a sizable sum of gold) as this was the usual custom in jousting etc. If the player wins he gets the jackpot of armour, steeds and cash.

Magnachar said:
Knight tournaments... Make some One on One jousting...

yeah, i was gonna suggest this!

It would be cool if the heroes of the land gained notoriety and stature from their jousting performance... maybe you even get a boost to your leadership skill depending on your reputation?

aside from the suggestions but on-topic. How about a timer in the tournament , cause I've had an enemy archer on a horse run away from me the entire time. (a few times now) ;p

How about instead of random weapons and horses you can choose what you take in and it can change the odds.

So if you go against 3 enemies with horses and you are by yourself on foot, you would make a killing in terms of rewards if you win. Hell maybe even prizes from rich fans if you entertained the crowd enough instead of just winning. Maybe add the ability to show off a little to pump the crowd. If the crowd is cheering enough for you then you will get small bonues to your stats like being able to run faster to get the last remaining enemies.

How about if a small time arena gets alot more money because of you bringing more money to their arena that it changes over time. i.e. it will get larger, prettier, the battle ground becomes more landscaped, cheerleaders :wink:, etc.

Then you could build grudges with other knights and might have to fend off sneak attacks from a sore loser durint your travels.

I was just thinking about the tournaments and thought I'd see if anyone else had suggested doing a 'proper' tournament before I requested it.

It would be something I would really like to see, but don't allow the player to do it any time, make them once every 4 weeks or something like that.

There's a lot of potential to use a tournament as a quest, or as an introduction to a quest.

Here's an idea for 'to the death' duels.

ALMOST kill the player. If you lose a fight like that, you spend a month recovering, and lose a large percentage of your money paying for treatment.

Make it hurt the player - a bit like getting captured in Sid Meier's Pirates.

Okay I'm just going to post this here, even thoug ill probably be called a forumnecronancer.  :???:
But since otherwise if its been suggested before ill get complaints from people not to start a new topic on it, im doing it anyway.
+ it sort of fits in this one.

How about personal jousting gear? Seeing as alot of the the things are in game (native or mod) already.

DominicWhite said:
Here's an idea for 'to the death' duels.

ALMOST kill the player. If you lose a fight like that, you spend a month recovering, and lose a large percentage of your money paying for treatment.

Make it hurt the player - a bit like getting captured in Sid Meier's Pirates.
sounds fun to me... wonder how high the wages are.

Back
Top Bottom