A Medieval career?

Users who are viewing this thread

13 Spider Bloody Chain

Grandmaster Knight
It seems that several members of this forum (such as the esteemed scholars Destichado, Kissaki, and Merentha) either make a career in being medieval/Renaissance combat historians (or at least, that's my impression). As a junior/11th grader in high school (that's the 2nd to last year before college in the US), I'm considering a career in such a topic as well.

My question is: what Universities offer excellent education in these fields of combat history? And is a career in that subject very practical? I know that some members are consulted by TV shows as experts, but otherwise I can't think of very many practical applications for such a historical subject.

Well, i dont know much about the subject, but if you wan'ted to do some kind of documentry work/tv stuff ect., you'd need more of a degree in media as well.

Just go with a history degree. Of course you'll come out of college with a degree in biology instead, but that's how college work. You'll at least enjoy yourself for a while. A tip of advice for you: Never believe 1 damn word any career counselor ever says. In fact, never take any advice ever given by a school official. It's all absolute crap that will only ruin your life later on (or in the short term as well if you listen to a military recruiter).

None of us are making a living with this stuff. At best it's some extra cash on the side or along the lines of being a busker (begger/performer). With history in general you'll likely get a job teaching or maybe researching history though and if you like to write you can actually be quite comfortable as a historian.

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
It seems that several members of this forum (such as the esteemed scholars Destichado, Kissaki, and Merentha) either make a career in being medieval/Renaissance combat historians (or at least, that's my impression). As a junior/11th grader in high school (that's the 2nd to last year before college in the US), I'm considering a career in such a topic as well.

My question is: what Universities offer excellent education in these fields of combat history? And is a career in that subject very practical? I know that some members are consulted by TV shows as experts, but otherwise I can't think of very many practical applications for such a historical subject.
I'm flattered that you'd include me in that group, but I'm a freshman in college going for a biology/pre-medicine degree.  :razz: Medieval studies is just my hobby, has been for the past few years.  I read a lot, actively practice it with two reenactment groups (one not so historically accurate) and otherwise just love historical studies.

Get a degree in history if that's where you want to go.  Some schools offer medieval studies programs, others don't.  Its not hard to find a list of offered courses at universities, but I wouldn't base my decision on college entirely on one or two classes.  I can ask around and see if there are any good colleges people know for that kind of thing.  One of the guys in my ARMA group is a medieval studies graduate student, going to the University of Maryland.  That might be a place to look. 

Oh, another thing: Reenactment is a VERY expensive hobby if you're not careful with it. Depending on what you're reenacting you'll probably go well over $1,000 in gear. Then you have to pay travel expenses and entry fees and such. A shield boss alone costs at least $50. That's not even with a shield attached to it.

That's generally what Tegan and I do but the vast majority just buy their stuff. In large part because they're doing it along with a 40 hour per week job and other things.

Ow.

What do I need?

Soft leather boots,baggy Asian woven pantaloon,Nomad's cap or similar furry hat,bow,arrows,tulwar (got a small one),leather Tunic.

Yay. Gotta be rapingly expensive WHEN the last part is in.

A horse.

Back
Top Bottom