SP Native [WB] Kunst des Fechtens (Art of fighting) (initial testing has begun)

Users who are viewing this thread

ares007

Master Knight
Kunst des Fechtens
(Art of Fighting)

What is this mod? Good question!

In short, this mod has 3 goals:
1)enhance the current combat system of Warband (primarily melee)
2)add a new element to SP: fighting masters. This will include "training" and commentary that may very well help new players learn combat faster. It should also enrich the single player experience.
3)enhance the AI to be more lifelike and witty in all things related to combat

*There may be other "side-effects" improvements/additions as well. I also hope to incorporate certain other mods to enhance the SP experience (or at least have my mod implemented into other mods)*

Features
Goal #1:
> 1-time counters (working pretty well. Needs to be tested in larger battles)
> more realistic weapon sweet spots (will no longer be implemented as something on it's own. It will be partly represented in the bind/wrestling mechanics)
> representation of the bind/wrestling-with-the-sword (working well so far. Needs more testing and likely balancing/refining)
> half-swording (implemented. Most likely will need balancing)
> new combat animations (Implemented Papa Lazarou's animations)

Goal #2:
> Add a "legendary" fight-master to the capitol of each kingdom (conceptual stage)
> Add new training to NPC's capable of giving training. This will not simply be something you pay for that raises your stats. You will likely pay something for it, and it will likely raise your stats, but it will actually be a "minigame" that will actually help you practice certain things like manual block or chamber blocks. (Early coding stage)
> Add various "fight master" NPCs that are hired by Lords (including the player) to oversee combat training, dueling, and what have you. (there is currently a fight master in a fighting school in Uxkhal)
> Add a companion or two that aspire to be fight masters (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of becoming a student of a fight master NPC and eventually to become a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of working for a Lord as a fight master (conceptual stage)
> allow the player the possibility of purchasing a building and setting up his/her own school (conceptual stage)
> new "quests" that utilize the features of the mod (conceptual stage)

Goal #3:
> Improve AI melee footwork (conceptual stage)
> Implement AI using new/advanced techniques (conceptual stage)
> Balance AI melee combat so that proficiency and abilities (i.e. weapon master) determine how much my code improves their ability (conceptual stage)
> Implement "stealth" (coding stage. Needs much experimentation/polishing)
> AI will not side-swipe when surrounded by allies or attack when an ally is in front. (very early stages of coding)
> anyone can attack anyone at any time and everyone will retaliate. This will make things quite interesting. Now, the AI will have to deal with melee friendly fire. Now bar fights and general melees and chaos can potentially ensue out of nowhere (coding stage. Needs experimentation/polishing)
> consequences of random attacking for example guards trying to take you down. Also possibly having to pay fines or be put in prison or other such things (conceptual stage)
> random events and such things that will capitalize on these features. Perhaps assassins may actually try to kill you in the normal town scenes and you have to be careful not to hit civilians when defending yourself. (conceptual stage)
> AI morale. Either from a mod or my own coding. I haven't decided yet (conceptual stage)

I'm sure that I'll think of other things later.

Also, I long time ago, I started work on a "Revamped Combat mod". This is similar to what I was trying to do there but broader in scope. The work that I did for that mod was lost when my hard drive burned out, but the experience allowed me to have a good beginning for the coding of this mod.

Update:
Well, I've decided to go ahead and upload the first testing version. The only thing included is the new mechanics:
Master strikes - basically 1-time counters. Certain strikes will defeat other strikes if simultaneously released. This is the setup:
-thrust defeats left attack
-left attack defeats overhead
-overhead defeats right attack
-right attack defeats thrust

Grappling - you may defeat an enemy's block with a block of your own (based on direction). The directional setup is the same as for master strikes. When you "defeat" an enemy's block, it staggers the opponent slightly but does not damage
-low block defeats left block
-left block defeats up block
-up block defeats right block
-right block defeats low block

"Minimum" range - at very close distances, any block direction will stuff an enemy's attack (except against short weapons). In addition, attacks have reduced damage at very close ranges.

Half-swording - most two-handed swords can be held and used as very-short-range polearms by pressing 'x'

note: this is the first release, and the mechanics are a bit unrefined right now. With each new release, I plan to fine-tune the balancing and polish the presentation up. For example, "Grappling" range still needs to be tweaked and refined, and I plan on refining the clashing sound of the master-strikes to represent the weapons being used.

note 2: the mod uses Papa Lazarou's enhanced combat animations. They look very good (and way more realistic) in my opinion, but you will need to adjust to the new chamber positions (note: chamber blocks actually look good and believable now) :smile:

download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44346183/Kunst_des_Fechtens.rar
(for Warband 1.143)

Happy Testing! :grin:

I like the sound of this. It would be nice to make hand to hand combat a little more "fluid" feeling. Good luck!

I was amazed by this idea before and I'm even more amazed now you're coming up with this new project.
Let's hope this works out better than your last one. This concept seriously deserves an incredible result.
Thumbs up for you and if you ever need someone to do some testing or similar stuff just give me a call. I'd be glad to help.
Keep it up :grin:

Awesome, hopefully you'll be able to find a way for the ai not to clump together in a big cluster**** melee aswell.

Good luck to you, though.

From the title I'm guessing you are a HEMA guy of some kind.  I assume that your mod will include more weapons from the fechtbucher?  Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Almost Normal said:
From the title I'm guessing you are a HEMA guy of some kind.  I assume that your mod will include more weapons from the fechtbucher?  Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Yeah, I have trained with ARMA before, though school and money has been limiting my ability to do that. I haven't specifically planned to add weapons, but it will definitely be a possibility along the way. At the very least, I will probably rework the bec de corbin and implement that. Also, I think there is a OSP pack with some swords based on some Albion models. So it's definitely possible, but not a high priority. Right now I am focused on coding the changes to combat system and beginning to work on AI coding.

Kazzan said:
Awesome, hopefully you'll be able to find a way for the ai not to clump together in a big cluster**** melee aswell.

Good luck to you, though.
I hope so. I've only begun to work on the AI, but I definitely think I can make the AI fight a lot smarter both individually and as a group (also I'm pretty sure I've already prevented AI from swinging through other AI and hitting you)

Thulgar said:
I was amazed by this idea before and I'm even more amazed now you're coming up with this new project.
Let's hope this works out better than your last one. This concept seriously deserves an incredible result.
Thumbs up for you and if you ever need someone to do some testing or similar stuff just give me a call. I'd be glad to help.
Keep it up :grin:
This will definitely need a lot of testing, so expect to have something for testing some time this summer :razz:

Yeah, the code for new combat mechanics (1-time counters and "sweetspots") is working, but it's in a "bare-bones" state right now. I need to do a lot of refinement (which should not be too much of a problem. I pretty much already know what exactly to do).

I will most likely get the combat enhancement and AI in a basic working condition before working on the SP content side of the mod. But I am flexible, so we'll see.

Woah, impressive, i just hope you dont need "Help" like other spammers.

Belendor said:
Woah, impressive, i just hope you dont need "Help" like other spammers.
Yeah, I should be able to do this one by myself.

Of course, I'll need people to test it, and I will certainly accept help for things that I'm not skilled in (for example signature links, demonstration videos, etc)

Almost done with finals, so I should make some progress before the week is over :grin:

Will you add the "weight" feature(so a character with a very high strength(23 or such) can wield a bastard sword like a 1h one and 2h swords like bastard ones) and Dual-Wielding(couldn't finish script)?

ThaneWulfgharn said:
Will you add the "weight" feature(so a character with a very high strength(23 or such) can wield a bastard sword like a 1h one and 2h swords like bastard ones) and Dual-Wielding(couldn't finish script)?
Only optional I hope if at all...
1. Swinging something as big as a 2h sword (flamberge etc.) with one hand looks ridicoulus.
2. It kinda kills the point of 2h swordfighting. If I can make immense damage with a 2h weapon WHILE using a shield, why should I ever leave the shield at home?
Just my opinion :wink:

Back
Top Bottom