B Musket Era Sound and Smoke FX Mod v3.0 up!

Users who are viewing this thread

solecist

Sergeant
3.0 AVAILABLE! change list and download below.

FEATURES:

- all new firing sounds for muskets. thanks to editing of the sounds via the module system, I was able to add in 6 close firing sounds, 6 medium range firing sounds, 11 (!) distant firing sounds, 10 bullet hit sounds, and 5 bullet snaps; creating an exceptionally larger variety of sound.
-changes whiz-by sounds of the bullets to a very pleasing mix of snap/crackle. technically these black powder weapons may not have been firing their projectiles at supersonic speeds, but i'm willing to sacrifice realism in this particular case. EDIT: after doing some research, i found that even the carbines of the period will fire a projectile faster than the speed of sound...meaning that these snap by sounds should be fairly authentic.
-changes grenade explosion sound. previously it had the same sound as the muskets (lazy!).
-changes the smoke effect for the muskets to be larger and last MUCH longer (up to 12 seconds). so far i haven't noticed any performance issues, but older computers may experience an FPS drop.
-changes pan smoke effect to make it look more authentic.
-changes grenade explosion effect by adding more smoke that hangs in the air for about 10 seconds.
-changes bullet hit effect to make it more consistent and realistic.

CHANGE LIST:

v3.0
- verified that this mod works completely on any multiplayer server. i highly recommend playing in a big game if you can find one.
- redid ALL the sounds for muskets. thanks to editing of the module system, I was able to add in 6 close range firing sounds, 6 medium range firing sounds, 11 (!) distant firing sounds, 10 bullet hit sounds, and 5 bullet snaps; creating an exceptionally larger variety of sound. may post a video later if there is interest.
- musket smoke now grows larger before dissipating.

v2.5
- all gun sounds now have enhanced/longer echos.
- bullet hit particle effects redone -- look far better than previous version.
- musket smoke has been tweaked. it now lasts a few seconds longer than before and will get larger before fading completely. may cause slow downs on older PCs...let me know! in tests with battle size set to 300 the FPS drop was negligible on my mid-range PC.
- horse hoof dust effect has been made less intense to avoid confusion with bullet hits.

v2.0
- modified pan striking smoke effect added by taleworlds in the most recent patch. it should look a lot better now.
- modified bullet hit effects to make them more consistent and realistic.
- original sound effects have been modified/combined with other sounds to make them sound "closer" (see below).
- since the new wfas update modified the muskets to include medium and far distance sounds, i have whipped up some new sounds for these. they are completely different from the "close" sound effects, so there should be a lot more audio variety.

v1.0 - initial release

DOWNLOAD:

current version (v3.0)
http://www.mediafire.com/?999azmoh6za6efv

old version (v2.5)
http://www.mediafire.com/?9a0xnyj65gqb66a

old version (v2.0)-
http://www.mediafire.com/?vm0s724j0z9jtdm

old version (v1.0) - this version will only work properly with patches previous to the most recent one.
http://www.mediafire.com/?qqd3ki6v6dbrt2j

INSTALLATION:

locate your with fire and sword installation directory and go to module>ogniem i miecezem (if you have steam, it should look something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mount & blade with fire and sword\Modules\Ogniem i Mieczem)
back up the particle_systems.txt and sound.txt files
open the downloaded rar file and extract to your ogniem i mieczem folder and overwrite.
play!

credit: thanks to various TWcenter modders who compiled a great number of musket/canon sounds from videos on the web.

I agree with the YT commentor. Dont have the smoke be so white...make it somewhat transparent but not too thick either..

Will definitely download this. Good job. And as far as the thickness of the smoke, I say leave it. Smoke from black powder is thick. From what I can see, it clears away quickly enough.

I like the particle length time, and the sound effects. The grenade particle effects look like they need some work too.

I don't know how you're editing these particle effects, but maybe if you could make it so later on in the particle's life, the color of it could change from a light grey with some slight brown to a grey with a slight deep-blue before it dissipates completely.
Example:
210406%20smoke.jpg

Familyguy said:
I agree with the YT commentor. Dont have the smoke be so white...make it somewhat transparent but not too thick either..

that is unfortunately just a vanilla lighting problem. during the day, the smoke is not bright at all and almost not visible enough. i edited the alpha levels extensively to attempt to fix it, but, honestly, i don't find it *that* bad.

Blasphemy said:
I like the particle length time, and the sound effects. The grenade particle effects look like they need some work too.

I don't know how you're editing these particle effects, but maybe if you could make it so later on in the particle's life, the color of it could change from a light grey with some slight brown to a grey with a slight deep-blue before it dissipates completely.

technically it's possible, but somehow i doubt it would come out looking right. the particle system is a bit...imprecise.

here's another short video that shows how much less white the smoke looks during brighter hours (not even that bright, considering it's sunset):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdza4UevHkA

also, i posted the dl link to the mod in the first post!

just downloaded and played a couple of custom games to test it and i think its great! i really like it especially since my character and his army all use gunpowder weapons,

thanks for this  :grin:

Love the video  going to try this out when my son asleep :grin:

Just had quick go and i really like what you done :grin: i will be using your sound mod instead now lol.

I don't know if it matters but as you have change the smoke effects would it interfere with online play ?

Cheers.

I just had ago online with all the smoke effects on and it let me join and play as normal :grin:

I might be  at a disadvantage though with the extra smoke but i don't mind as it looks great :grin:

can someone please upload the original smoke settings i forgot to backup it and the smoke during night is just too much.

nvm i just used steams verify integrity chache and it replaced it with the original, sometimes steam is great  :grin:

the sounds i am keeping though they are really great.

I downloaded and installed it. Even on my pretty good system (i7-2600K overclocked) all the extra smoke particles would cause slowdown in large combats. That said, I really like how it looks.

The supersonic musket shots are another issue though. :/ They just sound too unrealistic whizzing by.

The firing sound is awesome, the particles are ok, the bullet passing by was kinda unnecessary.

I like everything from this mod. VERY well done indeed.

Any chance you could expend it to other sounds? Like melee, horses, etc?

I've been trying to get the more metal sounds mod to work with WFAS by taking certain sounds and then trying to edit the sounds.txt file, but all I've managed to accomplish so far was to make my game crash :sad:.

Back
Top Bottom