AAR: Kellen's Personal Log | Chapter 2 - The Mercenary

Users who are viewing this thread

Ikaguia

Grandmaster Knight
logopxq.png

After reading monnikje's AAR "Me, Floris", I decided to make my own.
I'm no experienced writer nor player, actually, I'm Brazilian, so expect many grammar errors(and please correct me).

monnikje said:
An After Action Report(AAR) is, like the name suggest, a report from a game. It can be written in many different formats, like gameplay (with many in-game screenshots to show what is going on in the game) or narrative (A story written around a game, screenshots are not necessary). It's basically a story based on the game. In this case, it's Mount & Blade: Warband, the single player campaign. I'm trying to find a nice balance between gameplay and narrative, although my initial goal was to just display what was going on in the game.

As monnikje was when he started his AAR, I'm a newb in playing M&B WB, so count on me to make a lot of in-game mistakes too. But maybe that will make this AAR more interesting. In this spirit I'll play with the option 'save when quit', so there will be no turning back once I totally screw things up. To keep things interesting and fair, I'll also set the the following options:
Damage to Player: Normal
Damage to Friends: Normal
Combat AI: Good
Campaign AI: Good
Combat Speed: Normal
Battle Size: 291 (using WB battlesizer)
This gives me a difficult rating of 118%. Well, I'll have to see how far I'll get with this.

Chapters:
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 - The Mercenary

Introduction
March 23th 1257
Grammar corrected by Ogrecorps
For all my life, I've been stuck in this city's stone walls, for 27 years, I've not been able to have a look outside Praven's great walls and see whatever there was to see. But now, all that has changed. They told me my father has gone into a war, who he was at war with didn't matter, because he died in a battle, and without his constant attention, I made an attempt to run away...

I waited for everyone to be asleep, I packed my things, got my father's sword which had been brought home and was now mine, a crossbow, some bolts and a shield. When I was about to exit the city, a guard recognized me. I fought him and I knocked him unconscious but then my uncle Lycaelon caught me and took me home. We discussed a lot, and he locked me in at home.
mb1ww.jpg

Uncle Lycaelon and me discussing at home.
While my uncle was out at the market, I snuck out of home and ran for my life.
Iran for the entire day and fainted. When I woke up I was at a house and a man came toward me. He said he was a training master and that he had spotted me almost dead about a week ago. As soon as I realized that I'd not eaten in 7 days and that I was starving, the man brought me some meat and told me to eat. Now I've been in the trainer's house for a full week, and I've already started to feel strong enough to take the fighting lessons he offered me, I'll write more soon.

Gameplay notes:

I made the following choices creating the character of Kellen:
His father was: An impoverished noble
In his early life he was: A street urchin (he always ran away from his father, trying to learn more about the world)
As a young adult he became: A university student
He left because of: Being forced out of your home
Here is a picture of Kellen' starting stats:
mb2nh.jpg

And here is a picture of the guy I tried to make him look like:
369px-The-outstretched-shadow.jpg

Old version(wrong grammar):
Introduction
March 23th 1257​
For all my life, I've been stuck in this city Stone Walls, for 27 years, I've not been able to have a look outside Praven Great walls and see whatever there was to see. But now, all has changed. They told me my father has gone into a War, who he was at war with didn't matter, because he died in a battle, and without his constant atention, I've been made an attempt to run away...

I waited for everyone to be asleep, I packed my things, got my father sword, wich had been bbrought home and was now mine, a crossbow, some bolts and a shield... When I was about to exit the city, a guard reconigsed me, I fought him, and I knocked him unconscious, but then, my uncle Lycaelon caught me, and took me home, we discussed a lot, and he locked me at home.
mb1ww.jpg

Uncle Lycaelon and me discussing at home.
While my uncle was out at the market, I sneaked out of home, and ran for my live.
I 've ran for the entire day, and fainted. When I woke up, I was at a house, and a man came toward me, he sad he was a Traning master, and he spotted me almost dead about a week ago. As soon as I realised that I've not eatten in 7 days and that I was starving, the man brought me some meat and told me to eat. Now, I've been in the trainer's house for a full week, and I've already started to fell strong enought to take the fighting lessons he offered me, I'll write more soon.

Gameplay notes:

I made the following choices creating the character of Kellen:
His father was: An impoverished noble
In his early life he was: A street urchin (he always ran away from his father, trying to learn more about the world)
As a young adult he became: A university student
He left because of: Being forced out of your home
Here is a picture of Kellen' starting stats:
mb2nh.jpg

And here is a picture of the guy I tried to make him look like:
369px-The-outstretched-shadow.jpg

Creative start, keep going. Do you have Windows 7? I can edit some of your entries and send them back to you in a format that will show you what changes were made.

karviteri said:
Oi Garoto  :grin:

Very nice start! I like how you managed to give it an alternate beginning.

Thumbs up.
xD thanks
Failing Conquer said:
Like karviteri said, the merchant is your uncle? Brilliant! :grin:
I always thought he seemed to be scolding(is that the word?)  with the player...
thank you anyway.
Ogrecorps said:
Creative start, keep going. Do you have Windows 7? I can edit some of your entries and send them back to you in a format that will show you what changes were made.
Thank you, it was actually based on "the oustreched shadow", but I've addapted it to calradia. Yeah I have W7. What do you mean with changing some entries? And what changes? The changes from a savegame to another(that would be aewsome XD)??

@topic:
I'm going to write the second chapter soon...
And just for you to know, I've added some factions and troops as placeholders, because if I'm going to add new stuff like monjike did, I'll like to make it save-game-compatible. And that doesnt change anything in gameplay.

Edit:
I'm not going to write the second chapter now. I'll play a little of wFaS and then I'll write it.

^ I think ogrecorps is offerring to help you with your grammar and spelling on chapter one.
Certainly an original way to start the AAR, I never thought of that element of starting the game..  Anyway: good start!

gutsaxe said:
^ I think ogrecorps is offerring to help you with your grammar and spelling on chapter one.
Certainly an original way to start the AAR, I never thought of that element of starting the game..  Anyway: good start!
Yeah you are right, and he already sent me the corrected version and I updated the post.

The Mercenary
March 26th 1257​
The following day, the trainer took me to a training ground and taught me how to fight. He taught me the best way to hold a sword, where to strike, how to defend...
When he thought I was ready, he introduced me to another fighter, and we practiced. I only managed to hit him once before he knocked me off.
mb5og.jpg

My first practice didn't went very well...
I spent the rest of the day trainig and in the afternoon I got hit pretty hard and fainted. I woke up pretty later and realised the trainer has took me to his house... again. I should try to stop getting knocked of soon, otherwise I'll get bad relation with the trainer. When he realised I has waken up, he gave me some soup.. again and then showed me my father's sword and told it was a very good sword and I should keep it with me... always.
mb48u.jpg

My father sword... Isn't it beautiful?
In the morning, we came back to the training ground and started to train again. Around midday, our training was interrupted: There were deserters attacking us. I immediately grabbed my sword, but the trainer ordered me to run away, that he will hold them so that I could escape.
mb11b.jpg

The deserters interrupted my training...
I run aimlessly until I reached a village called Saren. When I got inside, I got surprised: The villagers where HAPPY. My father ALWAYS told me that the villagers don't do anything without complaining, that they were lazy and very, very unhappy. Apparently, that wasn't true... at least not here, because when I asked them why where them happy they answered: "Why shouldn't we?". I tried to recruit some of them to my party  but none wanted, they seem to be happy where they were. I also asked the village elder if there was anything I could do for them and he told me they were fine.
mb14z.jpg

The village was prosperous
I leaved the village and started to travel in the "Rhodok" territory, my travels led me to another village, this one called Sarimish. While Saren seemed prosperous and everybody welcomed my, Sarimish was poor and I was looked suspiciously, like they were calculating the risks of robbing me or getting looted by me. While I walked among the streets, I found a man who wished to join me in my travels and together we went talking with the elder. The elder told me that bandits had burned their crops and asked me to bring four packs of grain and I agreed of course. After that, another five men volunteered to join my warband.
mb28k.jpg

The elder asked me for some grain.
After that, I went to a Castle called Grunwalder and walked among it streets, just to find out that there was nothing for me to do in a castle.
I immediately ride toward a nearby village called Serindiar, where only one man volunteered for my party, but after I offered the Elder to help him restoring his herd which has been destroyed by looters, another six joined me.
mb33z.jpg

My help offer made me some new recruits.
After that, I traveled north, toward another Kingdom called Swadia and reached a village called Nomar. I entered it willing to steal some cattle there to give to my friend at Serindiar, but when I was going to steal it, A Rhodok Count called Etrosq raided the village. After watching the battle, I was thankful that he has come, because the villagers from the village were more than me and my men could slain. I headed toward Count Etrosq and greeted him, and asked him some job. He asked me to deliver a message to count Raichs. I didn't knew count Raichs but I accepted it anyway.
mb40t.jpg

I planned stealling that herd.
After that I spotted a battle between a Swadian Lord and a Rhodok Count and headed toward them but I didn't joined the fight, because the Count didn't knew I would help him and he might think I'm his enemy. Instead, I atacked a Swadian caravan that was nearby, but I misjudged my forces and ended up prisoner of the caravan, but not for to long, Count Reland, from the Rhodok kingdom atacked the caravan and when the fight started, I fled. When I saw the Reland was going to win, I rushed to his side and together we defeated the Caravan.
mb42h.jpg

My recruits were no match for the caravan guards.
After the battle, I asked Count Reland for a job and he offered me to be a mercenary for the Rhodok Kingdom because he has promised to the king to hire some mercenaries. I gladly accepted and asked for another job and he asked me to hunt down a fugitive named Raurque Silkybeard, who was at a village named Epeshe.
mb41z.jpg

He offered me to hunt down the fugitive.
I headed for the nearest village called Jamiche and there I recruited a Villager and asked for the directions of Epeshe and they told me it was far west and north from there.

Gameplay notes:

Here is a picture of Kellen current stats:
mb50h.jpg
Here is a picture of his party:
And of him:

Back
Top Bottom