Starsector 0.9

Users who are viewing this thread

Pulled the trigger on this one a few days ago, last night finally could sit down and learn to play it. Freaking. Amazing. Game.

The campaign seems to just have a bunch of place holders right now, but it sure is a nice set of placeholders and the skeleton of a game.

He really has the combat down. The weapon effects and impacts are really meaty, it just feels plain good to shoot things in this game, and that is not easy to achieve. On top of that the flux system is a really nice layer that is not overly complex but adds a nice extra layer of stuff to think about. I like how he takes a lot of queues from mech warrior in terms of how you are loading out ships and managing flux like heat in those games.

This game though is like this beautiful cross between star control 2, mech warrior,  m&b (campaign mode), and geeze, what else, well, the AI control is its own thing.

Once whole command & control thing became clear to me, and I let go my 'rts' urges to let it start doing its thing... wow, so much potential here.

Really looking forward to where this game is going to go. I'd still say it is pretty early right now, and it wouldn't hurt at all to wait a bit for some more work to be done, but it is a pretty fun game as it stands right now.

I'm using two. The Tri-Tach station mod, and the Medusa MkII which I made myself. Basically, you start with a massively upgraded Medusa - Essentially gives you the speed and maneuverability of a low end Frigate, the armament of a midrange cruiser, and flux/shield to match. But when I use that, I set a rule that I can't use anything else.

Basically I wanted to see if I could take on the Hegemony defence fleet in a glorified destroyer :3

Those look nice, have to check them out later. It's good it seems to be easy to add new ships and factions in basegame, I was bit disappointed with the few numbers of existing ship hulls in current game.

So uh, I dun goofed a fair bit. I didn't backup the original player.faction, which is what handles the starting ship stuff and fleet points. Don't suppos someone could send me theirs, or just pastebin the contents?

It's in F://Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\world\factions. Just edit the drive letter and maybe the x86 bit and that should send you to the right place. It's only a 2kb file, and you could just copy and paste it into a code box and PM it over if needed.

Please and thank you :grin:

Yeah. they don't spawn any more fleets than the rest, and the ships aren't massively stronger - The Gorgon is literally just a medusa converted to ballistic weapons - But they're all pretty fast, so I'm assuming they can pick their battles better and only fight stuff they can beat.

<3 Needlers
Especially since small Pirate parties seem to field hardly anything but those flying shield with one huge cannon attached to it after the first handful of groups are done for. :???:

I tend to roll a Medusa with pulse lasers, two atropos racks or AM blasters and five tactical lasers. Run everything but the torp/blasters on auto. Fighters coming close get ****ed up, anything else gets hammered by the pulse lasers and at least two tactical lasers. The blasters/torps are for taking down cruisers and capital ships, mostly.

Haven't managed to beat a Paragon with it yet, but Onslaughts are no problem.

Oh, cool, a Starfarer thread. I'm Paul on that forum.

Just wanted to note that the little compilation that Swadius posted contains the 1.02 version of the Tri-Tachyon station mod. I've since put out the 1.03 version which reduced the spawns for the Gun Runners and increased the spawns for other factions. Makes the system more lively, and keeps the GR from taking over the map. Probably better to grab the newer version.

As far as compatibility with other mods, it works right out of the box with both Junk Pirates and Nomads. SF Extended has an easily corrected incompatibility - we both edit the tritachyon.faction file. If you want it working with that one too with his ships added to the TT fleets you can just open both his and mine, and copy the three convoys I added to mine over to his. Or just grab the file I put here and paste it over both mods (or over one and delete the other, you just want one version in there so it doesn't grab the other one and overwrite it).

Personally I just play it with Junk Pirates and Nomads, though. I kinda like the default faction fleets as they are.

Back
Top Bottom