Anyone tried Dwarf Fortress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Skyrage

Master Knight
It's a really funny little game - mind, the graphics are ASCII based.

Basically you can play 2 modes (so far) - one which is the most developed one where you are supposed to maintain and expand a dwarf settlement and do what dwarves usually do, namely dig in a big mountain, gather minerals and metals and craft items and generally accumelate riches and so on...and of course defend against foes one way or another...

Second part is an adventure mode which isn't that sharped out yet but still relatively fun.

Despite the game being extremely small, it will still take anywhere between 5-30 minutes to create a world - depending on how good your computer is...and yeah, it's that complex.

If anyone's interested, here's the site:

www.bay12games.com/dwarves

EDIT:

And here's the Wiki for the game which contains all the need-to-know info:

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

I've been playing it for a about a week. Only just started the actual dwarf fortress, as I was on the adventurer mode. This is what appeared when I was fighting against a minotaur:

You charge at The minotaur!
You hack at The minotaur in the left upper leg with your copper short sword!
It is broken!
You collide with The minotaur!
The minotaur is knocked over!
You hack at The minotaur in the head with your copper short sword!
The shot glances away.
You hack at The minotaur in the left upper leg with your copper short sword!
The left upper leg flies off in a bloody arc!
The minotaur gives into pain.
You hack at The minotaur in the lower body with your copper short sword!
It is mangled!
The minotaur looks sick!
The minotaur's right kidney has been mangled!
The minotaur is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The minotaur vomits.
The minotaur vomits.
You hack at The minotaur in the left hand with your copper short sword!
It is broken!
You hack at The minotaur in the left hand with your copper short sword!
The left hand flies off in a bloody arc!
You hack at The minotaur in the head with your copper short sword!
It is broken!
The minotaur regains consciousness.
You hack at The minotaur in the right upper leg with your copper short sword!
It is badly gashed!
The minotaur's right hip has been badly sprained!
The minotaur gives into pain.
You hack at The minotaur in the left lower arm with your copper short sword!
It is mangled!
You hack at The minotaur in the right lower arm with your copper short sword!
It is mangled!
The minotaur's right elbow has been badly sprained!
You hack at The minotaur in the right upper leg with your copper short sword!
The right upper leg flies off in a bloody arc!
You hack at The minotaur in the right upper arm with your copper short sword!
It is broken!
You hack at The minotaur in the right hand with your copper short sword!
It is badly gashed!
You hack at The minotaur in the right hand with your copper short sword!
The right hand flies off in a bloody arc!
You hack at The minotaur in the left lower arm with your copper short sword!
The left lower arm flies off in a bloody arc!
You hack at The minotaur in the upper body with your copper short sword!
It is broken!
The minotaur is having trouble breathing!
The minotaur's right lung has been pierced!
The minotaur is propelled away by the force of the blow!
Uzor Ebnoustgu, minotaur has bled to death.

Imagine Mount and Blade with combat like that:

Borcha fires a bolt at you in the head with his hunting crossbow!
Your brain has been pierced!
You have bled to death!

Jaghatai Khan said:
WOW!I like dwarves,simple games and strategy!

THanks!Can you give me any more???

Well, it's the only one that I've found so far heh...well, found it via a underdogs topic :grin:

But it's guaranteed to keep you busy for days upon days...

And Jaghatai, it does indeed take some time to get the hang of the game - learning it is a bit of a pain but once you do it's insanely addicting.

Yeah, I've played this game way too much. If anyone has a question about how to play the game, I can almost certainly answer it. The documentation for this game is OK, but not really sufficient, since the learning curve is so steep.

Fun game, really. Both fortress and adventure mode are pretty cool, though fortress is where all the meat is. Adventure mode is relatively undeveloped.

Everybody should try this game.

Sir Prince said:
It took 30 minutes to generate a world >_<

World generation takes a long time because each world creates both a landmap for adventure mode loaded with monsters, goodies, towns, merchants, etc., as well as about 50 potential sites for you to build dwarf fortresses.

You won't need to generate a world again for quite a while, so strike the earth and make your first dwarf fortress. I recommend biomes that are heavily forested / thick vegetation / freezing or cold for beginners.  :cool:

Have a little patience. This game is worth it.

Man,my last evening passed with trying to understand the game.

YOu can make soap,fertilizer,ash,WTF is that?

I wish I could make a 3D Graphics Engine for that.Would PWN all the suX0rz

Jaghatai Khan said:
Man,my last evening passed with trying to understand the game.

YOu can make soap,fertilizer,ash,WTF is that?

I wish I could make a 3D Graphics Engine for that.Would PWN all the suX0rz

Ash is used in the production of lye, which is used for the production of potash. Potash is the fertilizer, and you use it on your fields to increase the yield you get per seed that year.  You can also bake potash at a kiln to make it into pearlash, which is necessary for the production of the more expensive kinds of glass. Soap does pretty much nothing right now, except provide you with a trade good to exchange for food and other goods when caravans come around. I guess it lets you get rid of all that excess fat you have building up at your butcher's shop, too.

Really, though, as a newbie, you don't want to bother with ash just yet. It really isn't worth it.

Dwarves don't bathe,eh?

Before I start the game,what would be your first tactic?

i hope strategy games would be like this.

Strip away all graphics from BFME 2,and you have a ridiculous game with notihng interesting,and imbalanced too.

Is it right to say **** EA?

Looks sweet, although complicated. Stupid farmer, get to work!

Graphics would help a lot, even Warcraft I styled ones. But now I've got an urge to play Dungeon Keeper again.

Jaghatai Khan said:

Pick the right skills for your dwarves. You need at least 1 miner, one lumberjack, a mason and a carpenter. A fisherdwarf can also be handy, as long as you stop them fishing until you have somewhere to store the food.

Some people prefer 2 miners, others prefer the 1 skilled miner. Once you've decided, remove any equipment you don't need (you need 1 axe per lumberjack, and 1 pick per miner) for the points. Use the points gained by removing them to buy additional food types (each food type comes in it's own barrel, which are incredibly useful for storage).

Take at least two cats and two dogs too. A breeding pair is highly useful, and once you have a kennels you can produce war dogs to protect your fortress until you can produce weapons.

Oh, and rock crafts are better to trade than pretty much any other the first year.

Jaghatai Khan said:

Include at least this in your starting lineup. You can play with the rest if you like, but do not ignore these dwarves (with exceptions, of course, but when you are a beginner I strongly advise not trying anything creative).

1 Miner
1 Woodcutter
1 Carpenter
1 Mason

I recommend starting with your carpenter and mason both at proficient skill level. Higher skill will produce higher quality goods at a higher rate. Masonry and carpentry produce furniture, and higher quality furniture makes your dwarves happier, so they are less likely to tantrum and break things / beat kittens to death.

You may also want to include some farmers in your starting lineup since this is probably the easiest* way to feed your dwarves. Other than that, good choices are pets, drinks like dwarven wine / rum / ale / etc. because one unit of drink = one free barrel, seeds for planting [I like pig tails and plump helmets], and food, especially the cheap meats. If you buy pets, eventually your pet population will be running so wild that it will become very profitable to butcher puppies and kittens for bones, meat, leather, and fat.

* Easiest, but not actually easy. Farming is a huge pain in the ass.

For those of you who are more advanced at the game, here is a more interesting start that I came up with and love. It's exclusively for thickly vegetated maps with relatively nonthreatening wildlife:

Purchases:
1 Proficient Carpenter
1 Proficient Mason
1 Proficient Miner
1 Proficient Lumberjack / Proficient Axeman / Proficient Wrestler
1 Proficient Herbalist
1 Proficient Brewer / Proficient Building Designer
1 Proficient Cook
1 Axe
1 Pick
No food
No drink
No pets

All leftover points are spent on wrestling training for the dwarves so that I can make them skip their breaks by recruiting them and then releasing them from military service. The lumberjack is my backup soldier; if things get rough I will draft him and have him kill things.

This build sounds kind of insane, but is actually wonderful. I start the game by disassembling my wagons and removing all jobs for my herbalist besides "gather plants". I then keep him busy constantly by assigning him large swathes of shrubs to gather. At the same time, I tell my woodcutter not to do anything but cut trees, and assign him to deforest the land. My miner sets away digging, of course, and my carpenter builds a carpenter's shop outside, next to a wood stockpile. I set the carpenter to work making a number of barrels, a few bins, nine beds, and one bucket. The cook and brewer make a kitchen and still, and I zone a large food stockpile around the two buildings.

The herbalist will bring plants to your food stockpile, sometimes as many as 5 at a time. Let's say that my herbalist comes back with 5 longland grass. You can't eat it. You can't even cook it. So what good is it for...? Brewing! Assign the brewing task at the still and you will end up with a barrel with 25 longland grass beer and several leftover seeds in the still. And now you assign the task of making a lavish meal at the kitchen! Your proficient cook will gather four food items and cook them to produce a roast. With any luck, your beer barrel will be one of those items, and he will take 25 beer and 3 seeds and make *28 Longland Grass Roast*. Once moved to the stockpile, this food item will never rot. You might even have enough seeds left over to make 4 servings of seed roast. Pretty cool eh? The rule of thumb is that one serving of plant = six servings of prepared food. Technically this is actually the bare minimum, as you sometimes get more than one seed per plant unit.

Using this strategy I managed to create over 400 food [actual food; not counting drinks or seeds] before summer of my first year, and about 900 before winter hit. And winter doesn't even matter. You can gather herbs in all four seasons of the year.

Poil said:

Have you built a farm? Does your farmer have the "farming (fields)" job [you can check this with (v)(p)(l)]? Is your field assigned to plant a crop yet? Does the farmer have a clear path to get to the seeds? Does the farmer have a clear path to get to the farm?

It's a long checklist, I know. If you haven't figured out how to build a farm that's also understandable because it's not intuitive.

Here's an instructional guide for you wannabe farmers:

All you need to build a farm is a section of muddy cave floor. You can accomplish this easily by cutting a path east until you find the underground river and then letting it flood your fortress naturally. Of course, this is actually far from desirable, because you can't control when the floods occur, and having a bank open to the river allows snakemen, frogmen, cave crocodiles, and more to get into your base and eat your dwarves.

You probably want something more like this:

Code:
XXXXXXXXXXX~~
X.........X~~~
X.........X~~~
X.........XX~~
X.........OO~~~~
X.........XX~~~~ 
XXXXDXXXXXX~~~~

X = Cave Wall
. = Cave Floor
D = Door
O = Flood Gate
~ = Cave River

By having a mechanic connect a lever to both of the floodgates in the drawing, you can flood this farmland whenever you want just by sending a dwarf to push that lever. Be aware that it is crucial to connect the outer floodgate to your lever before you install the inner floodgate.

You can also farm from the outside river, and here is a quick example of how to do that:

Code:
~~~,,,,,,,,,,XXXDXXXXX
~~,,,,,,,,,,,XX......X
~~~,,,,,,,,,,XX......X
~~~~~_________O......X
~~~,,,,,,,,,,XXXXXXXXX

X = Cave Wall
. = Cave Floor
, = Outdoor terrain
~ = Outdoor River
D = Door
O = Floodgate
_ = Channel

I kinda like taking water from the outside river...seems cooler for some reason...although less "stealthy".

leo said:
Poil said:

Have you built a farm? Does your farmer have the "farming (fields)" job [you can check this with (v)(p)(l)]? Is your field assigned to plant a crop yet? Does the farmer have a clear path to get to the seeds? Does the farmer have a clear path to get to the farm?

Yes, yes, yes, dunno where the seeds are, yes.

I find the levers pretty sweet. For some reason I want to dig out a room and fill it with levers.

Poil said:
Yes, yes, yes, dunno where the seeds are, yes.

Is your farmer not working because he has other jobs to do? Try eliminating superfluous tasks like Item Hauling and so on. Also, he might be on break. If he is, you can draft him into the military and then kick him out of it and he'll get back to work. Note that this will piss him off a bit, though, so it might not be worth it if he's already going close to snapping and destroying things.

He must be on a very long break then. He's just standing around outside near the river looking stupid. Been doing that for a long time now. Could he be trying to grow legendary grain of a type I don't have any seeds for?

Back
Top Bottom