Some OSP considerations

Users who are viewing this thread

Cernunos

Banned
First of all, the following people are to be thanked, if you think that way, for this OSP move:
Duh, Taragoth, Caba'drin, the rigale team, Ogrecorps, most of the OSP sharers around the forum, and the supporters of Rigale.

As far as OSP goes, any of you will be free to use any part of Rigale that were expressly coded by me, and that goes in the module source.

HOWEVER, my code and some others OSP are somewhat interwoven. If you use some of Rigale's code, please make sure to credit and THANKS the OSP people you are also using the code from.

As far as I am concerned, I won't check whether you credit me if you use part of/some/many/all rigale features/codes, and so on. I am no cop. I expect you to, would love to, but won't check. So its really your morale choice here.

That's about it. I am new to the OSP world, really hope I won't make some foolish stupid move again, and really hope you will enjoy Rigale and rigale features, wherever you might find them.

All you great community take care of yourself.

Cern,

I was just thinking that possible you should, unless you already have, mark you work using #'s in the code, thus when people add you code they can mark it to show that it is yours...

just a thought

Its already "mostly" the case. The rigale codes are so far a HUGE mess, I myself get lost into  :oops:. I will try to release nice / clean snippets of it, this is mostly the reason why I think I was important to keep the sub.

Cernunos said:
Its already "mostly" the case. The rigale codes are so far a HUGE mess, I myself get lost into  :oops:. I will try to release nice / clean snippets of it, this is mostly the reason why I think I was important to keep the sub.

All the best making it clean :razz:

Wu-long said:
Hhm...it seems most modders don't release entire mod source but bits and parts of it some other modders request for.

Well it depends on what you want to achieve.

Releasing an entire mod is great, but its hard to use something specific of of the source - ofc depending on how complex the mod and the feature you want is. It helps those modders that want to understand your entire mod and get a deeper understanding as to how the different codes work together.

Releasing a code snippet makes it very easy to use for others. So this is for the things you want to give to others in an easily accessible way. (Because you think its cool or helpful or whatever, but everybody should have it.) :grin:

release it now and then after finishing cleaning it release it again xD
that will make people less desperate to get their dirty hands at you source :twisted:  :grin: :smile: :lol: :razz: :cool: :mrgreen: :eek:

Ikaguia said:
release it now and then after finishing cleaning it release it again xD
that will make people less desperate to get their dirty hands at you source :twisted:  [Die Smileys, DIE]

You are aware that the MS is in the download? The drool probably obfuscated your view.  :razz:

Edit:
The normal download includes the MS.
MS stands for Module System.

The module system is the "comprehensive" part of the program that a basic coding human being like me can can tweak to achieve the tweaks on the game. without this, the txt files mostly look like numbers. Well, that's how I explain this in my head  :mrgreen:

that will make people less desperate to get their dirty hands at you source
Yes, I am pretty sorry about this mess. But Cleaning the stuff for now would be pretty boring, and I take pleasure in coding, and trying to fit Rigale into my "vision" of what I would have loved to see into this RPGesque world.

Cernunos said:

I've been cleaning as I go along.  I know I'm replying to an old post, but actually I stopped Perisno repairs (and Perisno needs my work too, its not all fixed) because I consider your module strategically important to me (in the long term/future).  I wont be able to clean all of it but I can make it easier to merge for other mods.  To be fair, Perisno is much easier to work on, but I was hoping to knock this out fast and get back to my duties.  So far I've put a week into Rigale, with what looks to be one more week needed to have it ready for use in our project.  Since its OSP I was intending to hand my changes back to Cernunos and hope he came back to his mod, which tonight I am pleased to see him active. 

Again, Rigale is ahmm medium hard to merge and hopefully next week it will be simpler with a merge to Diplomacy 4.3 already done.  I've separated (mostly, its really difficult to untangle them perfectly) Diplomacy and Rigale into separate sections to merge faster to mods that already have Diplomacy embedded in them (as does the one I work for).  Rigale has a decent to excellent economy, something I didn't have in the project I work on, and in my opinion a weak to middle open combat.  The good thing is its almost native in the things that most neeed help, and that part will be easy to upgrade/merge.

As I often refer to cooking while modding, consider Rigale an excellent soup base -- it needs more ingredients but used correctly makes an excellent sous (sauce).  I like sauces  :smile:

- GS

Back
Top Bottom