Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

I want to build 4.4 to server.But I couldn't find an address to download the modules. Or simply put together a server files ready for me I'd appreciate a site JavaScript.

I read through your talk with Aradriel on the suggestions topic - and i got a little confused, so im gonna ask here:

I thought the way things are set up at the moment is you can place castle names around the map without a faction associated - this would essentially work as a signpost.
Or you can link it to a faction and thus it shows up on team board and such.

You can link all those stock and buy props to a faction to tax them to the faction money chest

Quote from: aradriel on February 13, 2014, 12:22:21 PM

So all doors, chests and other things will be linked not to a faction but to a castle (or village, outpost and so on)

That is exactly how it is currently.

Im getting a bit confused and hopeful here - so bear with me...

What i want to be able to do is add capture points with buy and stock props linked to them - these would be for villages and such around the map - not the main castles and factions.
They wouldnt have any training posts or way to join, but the factions could capture them to garner the tax income from their props - and ALSO, act as a secondary capture point.
IE - Faction A capture Village Derp, now faction a cant be captured until village derp is taken - much like the secondary capture points at the moment, except; they can be captured by *any* faction to act as a secondary capture point - and also add the autotax income to that factions money chest.

Now - at the moment i thought you could add the secondary capture posts for a certain faction only - and if you want to add the tax income of another "mini" faction castle you would need another money chest for it at the location...
I'm asking because your talk with aradriel confused me a bit - have i missunderstood and it works as said above? or is it the way i think it is at the moment? :S
If it isnt as above, but is possible to make it so - consider it a suggestion - putting it in the scene thread because im not quite sure where to post this, but it is atleast scene related....

Secondary capture points must be linked with a primary capture point and thus a primary faction. A secondary capture point linked to a nonexistent faction slot would possibly work, but only function as a flag. In order to have chests and doors, there must be a primary capture point somewhere in the scene, accessible or otherwise.

xombie5 said:
I read through your talk with Aradriel on the suggestions topic - and i got a little confused, so im gonna ask here:
So many people seem to misunderstand the faction id / castle number distinction quite badly, so I will try explain it in detail.

These are the only scene prop types that can be actually linked to factions:
pw_change_troop_mercenary
pw_buy_banner_mercenary
The other troop training stations can be linked to one of the 8 castles (2 - 9), or the commoners or outlaws categories (which are not properly factions). All other types are only linked to one of the castles, or 0 - 1 meaning "not associated with anything". Doors and storage chests can't be associated with outlaws, because that category has no organisation for a lord to mange keys - they will result in props that can only be lock picked to use, as an unintended side effect. Stockpiles and money chests "linked to outlaws" with 1 have no effect: as with 0, the tax or export bonus money will simply disappear.

The number of factions possible is effectively unlimited, except for the constraint of displaying all of them in the stats chart (default tab key) in some sort of usable way. The thing that limits the number of "castles" - individual scene locations with linked doors, stockpiles, chests, capture points, etc. - is the available prop values possible to set from the scene editor, only two tiny numbers (0 - 127) each. From the start PW 4 was designed around a standard format allowing the commoners / outlaws / castle number set in the "ones column" or 00 - 09, and a multiplier value to adjust the prices by some preset percentages in the "tens column" or 10 - 120, combined into value 1; then value 2 is used for one or two values combined for various prop specific settings. To enable more castles the format and many underlying scripts would need to be changed, scene compatibility with previous versions be broken, the ability to adjust prices with multipliers be reduced or removed; becoming much more confusing for scene makers to understand and recognise if not based on separate digits, i.e. modulo 10 as currently.

Castle capture points can be marked as "secondary" when linked to one of the 8 available castles: depending on the type, it means that either all of the secondary points must be taken before the standard primary capture point is enabled to take the castle, or any one of the secondary points must be taken by your faction to enable using a primary point.
pw_castle_capture_point value 2: said:
0 = capture_point_type_primary
1 = capture_point_type_secondary_all
2 = capture_point_type_secondary_one
The intended usage is to place secondary points if desired on different areas or strong points in the castle or nearby buildings, such as on gatehouses, outpost towers, large buildings, or similar, with the primary point in the most secure location: this would be so the castle can't easily be taken over by a lone soldier sneaking into the keep, or some other secure and hidden place, but multiple enemies would need to capture different and more visible locations first, to give the owning faction more warning to defend, resulting in longer and more progressive battles and sieges.

So... If i had a city with multiple districts and entrances - and had "capture_point_type_secondary_one" in each of them - the attackers would only need to take one of these districts and then the keep - so they dont need to take the whole city, just break their way through without sneaking past everything to the keep?

And a way to get a more "campaign-y" type of play would work if i placed "capture_point_type_secondary_one" for each faction in each village - making them need to keep a military presence there if they want their home castle to be "immune" ?

What would happen if i then made a new castle post, with only a secondary capture point linked to it - would this provide an optional secondary capture point to the factions as well? just glitch out? or have no effect?

Sorry 'bout all the questions - im still a little bit confused.

xombie5 said:
So... If i had a city with multiple districts and entrances - and had "capture_point_type_secondary_one" in each of them - the attackers would only need to take one of these districts and then the keep - so they dont need to take the whole city, just break their way through without sneaking past everything to the keep?

And a way to get a more "campaign-y" type of play would work if i placed "capture_point_type_secondary_one" for each faction in each village - making them need to keep a military presence there if they want their home castle to be "immune" ?
Yes, those should work as you envisage.
xombie5 said:
What would happen if i then made a new castle post, with only a secondary capture point linked to it - would this provide an optional secondary capture point to the factions as well? just glitch out? or have no effect?
If you only placed a capture point marked as secondary, with no primary point for that castle number, the corresponding faction would not be enabled; I'm not sure off hand whether the secondary point would work or not, but if it did the only thing that would happen when used would be the banner changing, purely a visual effect.

*ahem*
Sorry but ive got yet another question... :oops:

For the item chest it says for value 2 i can put in "starting inventory load out ID" - i kinda assume this means if i put in an item ID number it will start the game full (or with atleast one) of that item in it..
I tried doing that with a few different numbers with no luck - the chest is always empty.

So i tried a few searches on this forum (item chest, item chest id, item chest var, etc) with no luck - so im asking....
What does this do, and how do i get it to work? :S

xombie5 said:
For the item chest it says for value 2 i can put in "starting inventory load out ID" - i kinda assume this means if i put in an item ID number it will start the game full (or with atleast one) of that item in it..
No, the number refers to a "load out" defined at the end of module_scripts, built into the module. So it is aimed more at server hosters, who could set up specific lists of items to add to chests when running event missions, or similar; though you could use the default "load outs" in chests in your scene if you wish.

If you don't have the PW module system on your computer, refer to the online repository here.

The whole scene creation is very confusing, and well... I can't get the grasp of the teleporters, or even the portcullis and draw bridges. is it possible for me to get help?

connornash said:
The whole scene creation is very confusing, and well... I can't get the grasp of the teleporters, or even the portcullis and draw bridges. is it possible for me to get help?
It depends on what sort of help you want, so be more specific. I will mainly just try answer questions on this forum, but other people might be available to do more.

Few Questions:

How do you add the automatic banking feature to a scene?

How do you make it on a scene so when you log out and log back in/ you keep your armor , for some reason it only keeps the gold in money bag and not the armor

Karth said:
How do you add the automatic banking feature to a scene?

How do you make it on a scene so when you log out and log back in/ you keep your armor , for some reason it only keeps the gold in money bag and not the armor
Those are not official PW features, so you can't add them by editing your scene. You would need to be the server hoster, write lots of scripts, and also host a web server and database to store the values.

Alright ive hosted the server now i was able to get a decent number of players but now my only problem atm is when people leave they don't keep their stuff when they come back so basically every time they leave they'll die how do i fix this?

The Immortal said:
Alright ive hosted the server now i was able to get a decent number of players but now my only problem atm is when people leave they don't keep their stuff when they come back so basically every time they leave they'll die how do i fix this?

New players tends to forget bank, items saving and stuff are not in the basic version of the game.
When you leave, you die and you loose 20% of your money.

If you want to have things saved on an external database, you'll have to code it by yourself.

Alright.. ive come across a bit of a problem im amazed i havent noticed till now - bear with me.

As you may or may not know, on my latest map ive made the base price for iron resources the lowest it can get - 20%
IE iron bars are 90.
The other resources also use lower values - but make them a bit more profitable (wood, wheat etc) so it can compete with iron production as a valid job in terms on income.
This also keeps costs on most things low, and money more valuable in general - was aiming for 1000 denars to be a healthy sum of cash.

The problem - which ive only now noticed - is i wasnt actually aware of the crafting refund....... ¬.¬
Not sure how i didnt notice till now... my bad.

This has kind of broken the very precisely tailored economy i created - for every single (*every single*) item... i think; - i checked the buying price to the local resource costs so that the remaining profit was what i deemed a reasonable income compared with resource harvesting.
Here is an example of the problem i have :

Iron Staff costs 460 denars to buy (that is, 80% of its default price) , the iron bars needed to make it cost 90 (20%).
The iron bar has a stockpile goal of 15 units, so the crafting reward drops until the weapon is no longer worth making - or you will lose money.
The crafting refund for the Iron Staff: 1000 denars. always.
So.... infinite money.
Also means you can never have an economy with weapons below their default price pretty much.

SO the Question is: is the crafting refund ever going to be tweaked, or do i pretty much have to redo every item on the map? Since everything is set at below base price scaling up exponentially...
Or is there a way to turn it off?

And im not complaining, i do realise its my own fault for not knowing the mod mechanics.

xombie5 said:
The problem - which ive only now noticed - is i wasnt actually aware of the crafting refund.......
That has been a long standing problem with adjusting resource prices, discussed with multiple scene makers over the years; the problem is that I never figured out a robust and sensible way to calculate what the resource prices should be at a location, since distance is not the only factor to consider: resource stockpiles or export stations could be close nearby but take a lot of time or effort to access, such as being on the other side of a deep river, inside a locked armory, or inside a teleport interior that is placed adjacent but accessed from the other side of the scene... whereas a long distance might be comparatively easy, with a straight ride using horse carts through secure territory. It seemed too hard for a script to decide any sensible values, so I chose just to make it work best with the default resource prices.

After thinking about the problem again today, I am wondering whether I should just add some scene props and complicated scripts to enable a dedicated and thorough scene maker to adjust resource prices in different areas: rather than enable adjusting every single resource item type (which would be a large and confusing number of prop types), only enable adjusting the crafting reward prices for all iron items with one invisible control prop type, with another type for all wood items, and so on for linen, leather, and wheat. Probably value 1 should use the standard multiplier format, with value 2 possibly as a "radius" for a script to calculate on mission start all the stockpiles that fall within the area around the control prop, caching the adjusted value of the crafting refund; then for stockpiles outside the radius of any control props for that resource type, the values could be linearly interpolated based on the distances to other control props in the scene.

This proposed system would probably be difficult for most scene makers to understand and implement properly, but it might give decent results for people that spend time to carefully fine tune it, trying to account for possible "exploits" due to the actual difficulty of transporting the resources. The clients would have to calculate and cache the same values when joining the server so that the stockpile info would be correct, but I am fairly confident that could work in the idea's implementation, based on my memory of the slots and scripts involved. If anyone can think of possible flaws, post them.
xombie5 said:
So.... infinite money.
Also means you can never have an economy with weapons below their default price pretty much.
It's not really infinite money, just equivalent to a default price export - still requiring new resources to be gathered each time, since crafting is not a reversible process. You can set weapons and armor to whatever price multipliers you want without problems: only adjustments to the prices of resource items are affected by the issue.
xombie5 said:
SO the Question is: is the crafting refund ever going to be tweaked, or do i pretty much have to redo every item on the map? Since everything is set at below base price scaling up exponentially...
Or is there a way to turn it off?
Turning the refund off would make crafting mostly a varying money loss with no direct benefit to the player, apart from when making a few difficult and expensive items when out of stock; the intention is to remove the conflict of motivations to export the resources for the default price rather than ever use for crafting.

Is anyone else having a problem with the editor when copy-pasting height values? I am trying to copy and paste height values, but it only pastes no value.

*Edit: Nvm, a quick pc reboot fixed the problem.

It was probably caused by the mouse pointer leaving the small editor box and ctrl+c then tries to copy something out of the active window, i.e. Warband, which gives nothing or junk values. The small editor box doesn't know what to do with that junk or the value falls out of range, thus it shows empty.

Or something.

Back
Top Bottom