Scene creating and server hosting guides

Users who are viewing this thread

hello

How to make the server does not restart the map, I set time map or 0 99999999999999999999999

thanks for the future reponse

The maximum time is 10080 (one week); if people really need a longer time I can extend it, but I'm not sure that even a week is practically possible with a warband server without leaking too much memory. Your massive value would just be limited to the maximum.

If anyone wants / needs it, I made a sceneing tutorial that has helped some players (It's a W.IP)
http://rccclan.com/tutorials/article/4-full-mapping-tutorial/

Vornnes one has alot in it, this one just helps with some of the general stuff.

Don't know if anyone we find it useful. but meh :razz:

N0body said:
If anyone wants / needs it, I made a sceneing tutorial that has helped some players (It's a W.IP)

In the part about making a blank map, it says you should rename a file named scn_multi_scene_1.sco, though the only file I can find in SceneObj is named snc_scene_1.sco

Faewulf said:
N0body said:

In the part about making a blank map, it says you should rename a file named scn_multi_scene_1.sco, though the only file I can find in SceneObj is named snc_scene_1.sco

The blank scene part is slightly out of date, as it was written for the old PWMod, what you have is the correct one, as the multi part was removed.

Is the Edit mode the same thing as hosting your own game in Native? Because I have never had so many crashes when placing items outside of the borders as in here. If I accidentally even more a prop outside of the borders now, the game crashes. Sometimes it crashes on random, making minutes of work useless.

Just saying, I have never experienced as many crashes while scening as I have in this mod.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Is the Edit mode the same thing as hosting your own game in Native? Because I have never had so many crashes when placing items outside of the borders as in here. If I accidentally even more a prop outside of the borders now, the game crashes. Sometimes it crashes on random, making minutes of work useless.
It uses the same game engine code as "Host a Game", but the module system "mission template" is different - which shouldn't affect edit mode. I had plenty of crashes while making the test scene, and I noticed that the memory usage would slowly increase over time, particularly when editing the terrain rather than the scene props; so I would watch the memory usage until it got quite high then save and restart the whole game, which seemed to make crashes less likely. I recommend riding to the area you want to edit on the test horse, go into edit mode, make one conceptual change, save and go back to controlling your character, then repeat; this way you won't lose much work if it crashes, and it should be easy to remember what needs to be redone.

Im currently making interiors, I always place the spawn point to the location, so I always spawn at the place. I was going to place them under the ground, but since the map has water thats not possible.

Very simple question which is really hard to explain:

subject: terrain code scene change
situation: I started from the beginning but after while I forgot to write down code and I also accidentally reinstalled mod. My scene go crazy but it was not advanced so quite easy to fix. I write down terrain code and carry on working on scene.
question: How editor count/remember terrain code?
1.On the base of default one(first one set for the scene)?
2.On the base of last save?
3.Non of it because terrain code is complete data of terrain

I can put it like that: If I forgot terrain code can I just fix my terrain and carry on without further problems?

I will understand if you understand nothing from my post :oops:

NOVICIUS said:
How editor count/remember terrain code?
1.On the base of default one(first one set for the scene)?
You must always use the same terrain code that the new scene was generated with - when you deleted or moved away the .sco file, then opened it in edit mode and warband generated a blank scene from the terrain code. I think that warband uses the generated terrain as the base then only stores the changes made, rather than storing the height of every bit of ground; so this means that you should try generate terrain as close as possible to what you think the finished shape will be, to make the scene file smaller and possibly faster to load.

I will just put it in practice. If my "new" terrain code does not work I can start over again anyway.

I am sure you are right as there is simply not enough numbers in basic code (or maybe I am nob :oops:). If you know where can I find change log for the code maybe it will help in future.

NOVICIUS said:
I am sure you are right as there is simply not enough numbers in basic code (or maybe I am nob :oops:). If you know where can I find change log for the code maybe it will help in future.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that: if you were asking me something, you need to be more detailed. All scene codes (the long number in the scenes.txt file) are the same length, and I can't see what change logs have got to do with it.

I should test it first but for now I can only explain my self:

1.If default is the base and from this base changes are saved in other file (change log) then it is possible to copy paste terrain code + copy paste/modify change file  - to have full terrein code (but I have no idea where changes are saved)
2.If terrein code is changed everytime you modify and save map terrain there is no need to do anything because you can just copy terrein code from existing txt.file

in other words:

1.I set up terrain (terrein code)
2.I work on it and modify (change log)
3.I add my map to reinstalled game (terrein code+change log)

or:

1.I set up terrein (terrain code)
2.I work on it and modify (new terrein code = copy paste from last saved verion of txt.file)
3.I add my map to reinsatlled game (new terrein code)

PS.It could be waste of your time so forget it if it will not help anyone anyway. :roll:

"Change log" is a phrase that normally means a list of things changed for humans to read, summarising the actual code changes in general terms.

What I guess happens with M&B scenes: first the "terrain code" (a long number) is generated by a person using the single player feature and inserted into scenes.txt, then the scene is loaded with no scene file of that name already existing (for example, at Warband/Modules/PW_4/SceneObj/scn_scene_3.sco), so the game generates a blank scene based on the terrain code, which is then saved to the scene file (scn_scene_3.sco); you then adjust the terrain shape in the editor, and M&B stores the differences from the base generated shape in the scene file; so if you ever change the terrain code later, M&B will start with a different shape, then apply the changes from the scene file - which would probably look totally different and wrong, unless you only changed the parts of the terrain code that don't relate to shape (like the amount of generated trees or grass). I don't know of any way to find out the terrain code from an already existing scene, so if you have lost it, you might either have to restart from scratch, or else try generate a similar base then fix up the terrain to match the existing scene props (which are not dependent on the terrain code). The "terrain code" is never changed by the M&B engine, only read from the scenes.txt file, and generally shouldn't be changed manually either (as said, I think you can adjust generated vegetation levels afterwards, but PW scenes shouldn't have any).

Attention scene makers!
Make sure to adjust the ships you place to a good looking height for each mesh type: the ship movement scripts use the level which you place them at. I've noticed in the past some screenshots of ships riding very high in the water, not looking realistic, and I just went on to the NA_PW server to test something, which had at least one longboat floating completely on air. I will add an entry explaining this to the edit scene mode information window.

Also remember to place at least one castle sign (or multiple using the same name, unique to that castle) for every capturable area, so the stats chart and capture messages will use proper names rather than "NO STRING!" or "Invalid Castle Name" - as explained in the edit scene info.

Also, for the dedicated server, how do you update the map?
I was testing a map and it seemed to be updating with the changes i made automatically, but now, it doesn't update to include any changes to the map.

Pushkin_The_Poor said:
Also, for the dedicated server, how do you update the map?
I was testing a map and it seemed to be updating with the changes i made automatically, but now, it doesn't update to include any changes to the map.
Just upload the scene to the server (not necessary if you are using the PW testing setup from your client warband installation) then restart the server and reconnect with your client. If you start the server then change the scene while it is still running, clients will connect and download the latest version but the server will still be running the scene it started with, meaning the joining clients are stuck in an endless downloading loop.

Back
Top Bottom