Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi I purchased the Mac version of the game during the Steam weekend sale July 10-13.  When I try to connect to multiplayer using the 4x4 serial, it gives me the error "invalid serial".  I have tried about 50 times typing the serial with all caps, no caps, dashes, no dashes, etc.  Is it possible to get a valid serial so I can hack and slash my friends to pieces?

Vornne said:
What this thread is for:
Bug reporting, suggestions, and related development discussion: they are mixed in one thread because I've found that most people are not very good at recognising the difference between "bugs" and "suggestions" or "feature requests", so one thread makes it easier. Discussion is allowed if it is directly related to suggestions or bugs, giving your testing results, opinions, or experiences; but try to make sure it is relevant for the basic PW mod as a whole, not specific to how one scene is designed or how a server is administrated.

Known issues which are probably not fixable:
  • Death messages will appear green when you kill anyone and red for all other players, like deathmatch; this is due to working around the hard coded restriction on the number of teams.
  • Projectile items disappear when fired or thrown under the terrain level, like when inside some interiors.
  • In DirectX7 mode, the outer sea mesh doesn't stay at sea level, sloping upwards and looking ugly - it works fine with DirectX9.
  • When you connect to the game, shields already equipped by other players might be brown rather than the correct faction banner: this is probably because the agent and equipment data are sent by the game engine before the module sends the faction data.
Known issues which will possibly be fixed:
  • The animation of the ships might be quite jerky and glitchy looking, possibly depending on your FPS.
  • The ship ramp doesn't match the ground level very well.
  • The colored lamellar vest is partially transparent; I can't figure out why.
Some commonly suggested features under consideration (or possibly development):
  • Knock out instead of death, with systems for taking prisoners.
  • Dynamic weather that changes automatically while the game is being played, according to scene or server settings.
  • Siege equipment - this will depend on what is possible, practical, and doesn't use too much server resources.
  • More medical or poison related effects.
So if your suggestion is related to anything on this list, try to make sure your idea is new and unique, or that you give specific implementation details that don't seem obvious. I still have a massive list of ideas, so I'm not running out of things to do in my development time.

Some of the things this thread is not for:
  • Asking when the next release date will be.
  • Asking for teasers or sneak previews of features in development.
  • Asking for help getting the mod installed - though if you are pretty sure you've found a bug that stops the mod from running on your system, feel free to post.
A common suggestion that I have no interest in or plans to add to the mod is using an external web server and database to save player stats and items forever; as the "Persistent World" title hints at, the main focus of this mod is to make a small part of a world with castles, resources, and player stats that are all inter-related, and can be affected by player actions, as opposed to having a generic static game world with players that have little connection with the current environment, since they keep progressing to be richer or more powerful regardless of how many times they die or what they did in that time - which I think leads to hoarding, "grinding", and a general lack of team play or meaningful interaction with other players. There are many other more traditional MMORPGs with that sort of design, and many players who enjoy playing them, but I dislike most of the aspects of it and want to make something more competitive, more in the spirit of native Mount & Blade and Warband.

Another common suggestion is to add a lot of new armor or weapon meshes from various other mods or "open source packs", but this is not planned for multiple reasons: the mod download size should be kept low so I can upload new versions often enough without going over internet data caps, and the amount of new textures and meshes should be kept limited for better performance on slower computers; added items should be from the approximate historical period of native warband, in a similar visual style, and suited to the game mechanics, to avoid the need for dramatically rebalancing the combat system; I am not primarily an artist and would have trouble making or adjusting things to fit in with the existing warband resources; preferably all the resources used should be from native or given to PW to avoid extra restrictions on how the overall mod is used. Many mods "die" because the ideas involved are too grand and far reaching, meaning that the developers get stuck in a huge complicated mess trying to do too many things at once, losing the initial enjoyment or motivation; I want to avoid that trap as much as possible.

However, if you are a moderately skilled artist and want to contribute some meshes or textures, feel free to suggest them here: you should at least get a reply about whether they are wanted or to an acceptable standard. Bear in mind that new texture sheets are a major cause of increased mod size and load times, so you should always use as many textures from native warband as possible.

stepsonofkrypton said:
Hi I purchased the Mac version of the game during the Steam weekend sale July 10-13.  When I try to connect to multiplayer using the 4x4 serial, it gives me the error "invalid serial".  I have tried about 50 times typing the serial with all caps, no caps, dashes, no dashes, etc
Authentication errors are unrelated to any mod: you need to search or ask for information in the main Warband tech support board. Also, mod support on the recently added Mac and Linux operating systems is reportedly not very complete, since many other people have reported problems,  including a few with this mod.

There was no need to quote the entire first post.

Is it possible to implement a mechanism against combatloggers?
For example, if you begin to log out (press the button once), 20-second timer begins to count. If you press another special button, you will still log out, but lose all the stuff as if you died. If the game crashes, you stay at the place you were for 20 seconds and then log out. The person, whose timer is counting, is highlighted to show other people that he is about to log out -- for example, if he tried to log out in a middle of robbery, the robber will know that he is trying to log out and kill him as if he tried to run away. That mechanism is used by lots of MMORP games.

Some time ago some people also asked to turn the spectator off -- that is not good, because it is needed to find carts left in strange places, and won't be needed if mechanism that I described was implemented.

Baskakov_Dima said:
"Combat logging" is caused by unofficial and strongly discouraged additions of equipment and money saving, instantly from anywhere in the scene; it's an obvious result of that bad design, not my problem.

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
"Combat logging" is caused by unofficial and strongly discouraged additions of equipment and money saving, instantly from anywhere in the scene; it's an obvious result of that bad design, not my problem.
I see.
If you don't want to do it, would you please just say if it is too hard to do?

This service is even offering such a mechanism.

Combatlog Countermeasures
-When a player attacks another player, is attacked, or loots a corpse a timer will be initiated (can be defined in the database). If the player leaves during said timeframe they will drop their gear as if they died.

Server scripts is all you'll get to fix issues caused by server scripts  :lol:

A suggestion about food. What about being able to serve consumable items like cooked meat, meat pie etc. in smaller pieces? For example, serve a wine jar into 4 wine cups, a meat pie -- into 4 (or even 8 ) meat pie pieces, beer -- into 4 beer mugs etc. They should give the same amount of "food units" totally.

Why?
  • Roleplay! It's so strange to see a guy drinking a wine jar in one draw.
  • Economy. From my point of view, there is no point in food like meat pies, as most part of it's "food units" disappear.
If I am not mistaken, the more "food units" are left in the hunger bar, the faster are things like mining. What about no limitations if there are more than, for example, 50% or 75% of "food units"?

Basakov, I like your idea, but one thought... Where do we keep magically getting cups and jars and barrels for these things?

Haretik said:
Basakov, I like your idea, but one thought... Where do we keep magically getting cups and jars and barrels for these things?

Where do we get magical casks and barrels?
Well, if they would not DIAPPEAR when consumed, but rather return in an empty form, like with water buckets, it would look cool.

ZeroFighterR said:
And then?

Trow it in someone's face?

You either don't think about "how do we get magic cups" and lose them when you drink it, or craft cups from gold and do not lose them, but rather just empty. I am sure that the first way is better in any way.

Baskakov_Dima said:
A suggestion about food. What about being able to serve consumable items like cooked meat, meat pie etc. in smaller pieces? For example, serve a wine jar into 4 wine cups, a meat pie -- into 4 (or even 8 ) meat pie pieces, beer -- into 4 beer mugs etc. They should give the same amount of "food units" totally.
Not a bad idea, but I don't have the spare time to mess around making meshes for that.
Baskakov_Dima said:
If I am not mistaken, the more "food units" are left in the hunger bar, the faster are things like mining. What about no limitations if there are more than, for example, 50% or 75% of "food units"?
I don't see the need for that: there are no "limitations" from one perspective, the food bar just giving an extra boost.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Well, if they would not DIAPPEAR when consumed, but rather return in an empty form, like with water buckets, it would look cool.
But also result in worthless litter dropped around the scene, lowering performance and triggering the pruning of other useful dropped items. Water buckets return to the empty form because they can be used directly to fill up again, at wells or when standing in water.

Back
Top Bottom