Bug reports and suggestions - read the first post

Users who are viewing this thread

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
I can try to read these 4k posts and make some summary if it would be usefull.
Not very useful for me, since I have a fairly good memory and keep my own list (not easily understandable other people), but if you wanted to do it for the benefit of other people or yourself, go ahead. The major problem would be misunderstanding what the replies meant, so I would suggest keeping links to the relevant posts, for full explanations and context.

Made a table in Google Docs https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkDrfy1dmK7IdFFkWW5OYkRkZU5nOVAyNjJMQVpCbUE&usp=sharing , will try to fill it. 

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Are you accepting offers to join you?
Not really: I don't think the traditional method of assembling an organised "mod team" of random people who want to help and then trying to get work done works very well, at least not for my preferred development style. I have accepted contributions from people who presented resources for specific features or ideas, and might accept code contributions from people who showed they were skilled and thorough, meeting the coding standards: that goal probably wouldn't be worthwhile if the main motivation was prestige or control, but only if they enjoyed development for its own sake.

People are probably better off starting with making their own "sub mods" based on PW to get experience and mess around learning from mistakes; I suggest starting with very small features, completing and thoroughly testing them before moving on to complex things. I also suggest releasing small features to the public at least when learning, since there is probably more benefit from other people helping, than risk of drawback from people "stealing" a simple idea to build something on top of it.
What do you consider to be a small feature?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Not very useful for me, since I have a fairly good memory and keep my own list (not easily understandable other people), but if you wanted to do it for the benefit of other people or yourself, go ahead. The major problem would be misunderstanding what the replies meant, so I would suggest keeping links to the relevant posts, for full explanations and context.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Not really: I don't think the traditional method of assembling an organised "mod team" of random people who want to help and then trying to get work done works very well, at least not for my preferred development style. I have accepted contributions from people who presented resources for specific features or ideas, and might accept code contributions from people who showed they were skilled and thorough, meeting the coding standards: that goal probably wouldn't be worthwhile if the main motivation was prestige or control, but only if they enjoyed development for its own sake.

People are probably better off starting with making their own "sub mods" based on PW to get experience and mess around learning from mistakes; I suggest starting with very small features, completing and thoroughly testing them before moving on to complex things. I also suggest releasing small features to the public at least when learning, since there is probably more benefit from other people helping, than risk of drawback from people "stealing" a simple idea to build something on top of it.

Hey Vornne.

2 things;

I would like to see a destroyable weapons mechanich to increase weapons demand and avoid constant long term looting which unfavour the economy.
As server owner of PF and eventer for PW i would perfectly see how it would fit in the game. A random chance of break, increased by the parry against (bonus against shield) weapons.
All melee weapons that aren't couched pike/awepike should also have increase chance of break if used against charging cavalry.

Just saying.

Secondly concerning your mod group. There is indeed a large needs of community work to increase the amount
At the moment, all the autobank system in the community are owned by private team. Shared features for submod are also not much of a exchange.

For now, what would be beneficial would be to pick up a few high potential codder and to give them small feature challenges to deliver. In order to increase the total public skill set in the community.

Aldric said:
Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Baskakov_Dima said:

Hey Vornne.

2 things;

I would like to see a destroyable weapons mechanich to increase weapons demand and avoid constant long term looting which unfavour the economy.
As server owner of PF and eventer for PW i would perfectly see how it would fit in the game. A random chance of break, increased by the parry against (bonus against shield) weapons.
All melee weapons that aren't couched pike/awepike should also have increase chance of break if used against charging cavalry.

Just saying.

Secondly concerning your mod group. There is indeed a large needs of community work to increase the amount
At the moment, all the autobank system in the community are owned by private team. Shared features for submod are also not much of a exchange.

For now, what would be beneficial would be to pick up a few high potential codder and to give them small feature challenges to deliver. In order to increase the total public skill set in the community.

Destroyable weapons should be balanced. I mean, you can't make swords break after like 100 hits.
I don't want this mod to come in cRPG style, so let us discuss some realism in here. I will ask my archeology teacher about how long did it take for a sword to break, but I am sure that it was not 100 hits. If it is possible, it could be a good idea to have some kind of sword HP draining while blocking and hitting, but only resulting in damage loss, not in losing the sword. There must be then made a new job for engineers - sharping cold steel. But I am sure that it will take huge amount of time to do this.

About the mod group - I totally agree with you. As there are actually few newbies coming to this mod, it is needed do make it much, much more popular, and make our persistent world more persistent.
I am sure it is possible just to give some tasks to the community and wait for them to be completed, probably asking about how are the things going.

Hey, I just picked up the mod after some time and I've got an issue with the sound. The moment I spawn I start hearing a nonstop loop of those funny villager voices. It is really annoying to have to disable in-game sound. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks in advance guys.

Splintert said:
I understand you have a negative opinion of the custom server side modifications floating around that allow player persistence.
That is rather vague. I don't dislike "player persistence" as such, since PW has always included forms of that which exceed the Native modes; what I have long discouraged is eternal persistence of player wealth and equipment regardless of the many other drastic changes in the game environment, encouraging lame grinding when the circumstances are irrelevant (such as an unpopulated server, a scene which allows mindlessly easy riches, a scene with a major exploit) to have unlimited power when the circumstances should be very relevant and should impact on the rest of the environment (starvation of resources in a siege, nobody bothering to gather resources, people being nasty enough that nobody else wants to deal with them).

It minimizes the competitive and immersive features of the mod where player interactions make the main content, transforming the game play towards the traditional MMO where players do stupid (brainless) things over and over to eventually become "epic" without chance of failure, thinking they are entitled to power based on length of time played (I have a rather low opinion of that).
Splintert said:
Sync of prop stocks across server resets
Sync of prop stocks across servers with the same scene? (not compatible with character persistence across servers, duplication of items)
Sync of a new type of prop, perhaps an import/export of items across servers
Sync of faction castle status across server resets
That is of course possible, but a lot of work; especially to ensure that all the relevant variables are saved and restored to a logically consistent state afterwards. It would not only include module system slots, but values or states obscured inside the game engine: the scripts were written with certain constraints or assumptions in mind, which might not be automatically satisfied when trying to reload everything without the preceeding events actually happening. Also, if the scene was changed at all it could become vastly more complicated, since the scene prop instance ids might not match up any more, and startup scripts might calculate different results (such as linked scene props based on closest distance, depending on the order searched).
Baskakov_Dima said:
It's a start, but the last entry "remove crafting" has the wrong response: I might have posted years ago about not wanting to remove crafting since it is quite integral to many other PW features, but more recently there was a server setting made available called "quick battle" mode, which does exactly that.
Baskakov_Dima said:
What do you consider to be a small feature?
There isn't really any specific size for a "small feature", but in the context of this discussion I meant starting very small and building up: so for example, the first change you might try would be just changing item stats, then add an item with a new short script called from a trigger, then a feature using a couple of new items with some associated scripts and triggers, and so on. The key is to start with something definitely achieveable and finish it - not skip on to try a grand impressive feature without any idea of what you are doing. Try to think of something simple you wanted when playing PW, and see if it works out like you thought.
Aldric said:
I don't like breakable weapons as an overall feature because it moves away from the heavily skill based combat system of M&B, to more of a "dice roll" type of game: the players wouldn't know when the sword was going to break, so it would be intensely annoying to perform a complicated and well planned maneuovre to beat multiple people, only to have the weapon randomly snap before killing the last enemy. It also does not seem historically accurate for a sword to completely break in the time scales of a PW game (ignoring other weapon types such as light lances). The "long term looting" problem is partly your own fault, for saving equipped items forever, no matter how the player quits; so very few good items are ever lost except in direct combat, where the victorious player immediately loots them.
Aldric said:
I am sure it is possible just to give some tasks to the community and wait for them to be completed, probably asking about how are the things going.
The unfortunate reality is that making the feature myself would be easier and faster than trying to explain and assist someone else; I really don't have the spare time or desire. Probably most people who think they would like to help develop would soon give up, making my time spent to help them wasted; they also would be likely to do it for an unsustainable motive such as power or reputation, which will not sustain them enough to complete and perfect things for long - the motivation needs to be enjoyment, programming for its own sake (since this is not a commercial project). The praise of other players will die away very soon, and be drowned out by the criticism.

What I am willing to do is answer specific questions from people who are trying to write code with the PW module system for themselves, in the mod development sub board. If someone got experience that way and presented interesting features with tested code, they would be more likely to be included in official PW than a bare suggestion posted to this thread; but there is no guarantee of inclusion, since the feature must fit in with the main plan. So as said before, the main motivation should be enjoyment of programming and testing.
Lannistark said:
Hey, I just picked up the mod after some time and I've got an issue with the sound. The moment I spawn I start hearing a nonstop loop of those funny villager voices. It is really annoying to have to disable in-game sound. Is there any fix for this?
I guess that you have applied some sort of sound mod on top of PW: you can't mix txt files built for one module (probably Native) with an entirely different module; the only way to make sound mods with PW is to use the (publicly available) module system to build the merged changes.

Azrayel said:
Attach tunnel_end to a portcullis and use it as a legit hidden door.
I don't like it: a general design principle of PW is that features should be intuitive to use, where possible; having a random non moving slab of rock raise or lower a heavy metal gate does not seem realistic. I suggest you should instead try to hide the winch, behind a pile of rocks or something similar, so the action seems believable.
The Bowman said:
I beg for mercy. :razz:
While it looks nice in the video, that pack is only designed for static single player tavern scenes, not dynamic actions as in PW: there are no transitions to and from the normal standing animations, and the positioning means that agents would clip through the ground if used elsewhere than perfectly placed above a seat, and the musical instruments use a different incompatible method to PW, as gloves rather than weapon items. Also, the agent_set_stand_animation operation does not work in multi player (as opposed to single player), so the sitting action could only be for a limited duration, like all other PW animations. The usage terms don't quite match with PW either ("use for non-commercial purposes"), since the PW license does not prohibit that; though you would probably get in trouble with TaleWorlds or Paradox for trying to sell anything based on PW, since it is in turn based on M&B.

It could be a basis for a similar feature in PW, but would require a lot more work to implement in a satisfactory way.

Hello, Vornne. You said, that you don't want to ruin the balance of Native and try to make new. But what if I or anyone else created a better balance that will be more realistic and still be balanced? Would you at least test it?

You have also said to try some little changes - have done it already. My "little change" was a brand new balance for Native, both for items and troops. I am pretty sure that you don't have time for it, so it is hidden under spoiler. :smile: Speaking shortly, I have made a heavy armor choice much more important by making the weight less and the armour stats more, so tincans are now really stronger than light-armoured classes in melee, but also much more expensive.

I have learned: mesh import from other mods, making new items based on an old mesh, changing weapon stats, making new troops linked to each other in troop tree etc. Things do now lool like I am ready for that work. :smile:
What is the next step to become closer to help in PW?

My balance does also not fit the real situation in any land in any time, but is much more interesting than Native. :smile:
I have made several lands really OP in terms of Native vanilla balance, but balanced against each other if rightly used - Rhodoks, Swadia, Nords. Others have got some boost, but they are considered as possible colonies for other lands to have wars for.

Rhodoks can train good Sharpshooters (like Sharpshooters they have by default) or Siegers, who have a very powerful crossbow, that takes 20 seconds to reload, but can one-shot many troops from very good range. They also have Pikemen (Sergeants with 1h Cleaver and a Pike instead of normal hand-items, Pike is taken from cRPG, as in there, Native pike is named Long Spear) and Shielders (the only units with shield skill more than 2, only Heavy Board Shield and 1hCleaver or Military pick). Pikemen are very vulnerable to ranged and are useless on sieges, but are well-defended against direct cavalry charge, Shielders are very vulnerable to cavalry charges, but well-protected from ranged and used to cover teammates from arrows. They are all, though, very slow, and, therefore, easily flanked in the open field, they don't have good armor or melee skills, so they are easilly pushed by well-armed infantry with shields, if it is ready for some losses from crossbows.
They also have Scouts - light cavalry with 1h swords and shields on coursers, useful in reconaissance, in chasing falling back opponent, but useless in direct charge. Best used in slicing enemy ranged units. I now think to give them some throwing weapon, as they are really useless, infantry is doing slicing ranged much better.

Swadians have everyone mounted on at least saddle horses, it helps them to easily move army on the battlefield. They are also well-armored (even crossbowmen), faster than Rhodocks on foot, and have perfect knights - both cavalry and infantry. Knights have fullplate, plate boots, gauntlets, Heavy Bastard Sword, Great Helmet (with stats of Great Winged helmet), Plated Charger from cRPG, Great Lance, Knightly Heater Shield, Spiked Mace. They can crush any defence in the flat battlefield, as they can outflank most armies, even Pikemen.
Sergeants are like knights, they have good athletics and Morningstar instead of lance and Steel shield instead of wooden.
Crossbowmen are faster and better protected, but lack reach, skill and power of Rhodoks.
Swadia is the most expensive faction, a big army of knights may make their owner lose a monthly city earnings.

Nords are not as universal now as before, they have many troops, each of them doing only one job good. Their troops are all mounted on the map, but noone of them is mounted in battle. They have two types of infantry - heavy (Huscarls) and light (Berserkers). Huscarls were a little bit nerfed, a little bit boosted - they don't charge as fast as before now, but they always have Spiked Battle axes and Huscarl Round Shields. They also have a stack of throwing weapons and a warspear to fight against cavalry. The are very good on sieges, as they are well skilled and armored, and they can destroy wooden shields easilly. Light infantry is represented by berserkers, they only have Great Axe and go naked. They have highest athletics, Power Strike and Iron Flesh skill. They can easilly chop almost anyone with their axes, but are extremely vulnerable to ranged attacks, especially bows with their good DPS.
Ranged units are throwers (Have a sword or axe, Heavy Round Shield and a special stack of 12 Heavy Throwing Axes) with good throwing skill and very good but short DPS, ready to disshield incoming enemy, and archers with longbows, a little bit buffed in damage but nerfed in accuracy.

So, the stratagy is very easy.
Rhodoks - make enemy charge your castles and have huge losses from crossbows, putting pikemen on flanks and shielders in front of crossbowmen in the field. Any fight with enemy cavalry results in huge losses.
Swadia - make enemy fight in the open field, or prepare to experience  losses.
Nords - make enemy come close enough to lose his power of ranged (pwned by Axe Throwers) and cavalry (not enought distance to charge).

I also have some questions. :smile:

1) How does the shield and armour penetration mechanism work? How does the bouncing mechanism work?
2) What determines the damage type of bows and crossbows? Ammo or weapon?
3) How to make an alternative mode for weapon?
4) Is it possible to make a new animation, like upper thrust for spear?

Baskakov_Dima said:
Hello, Vornne. You said, that you don't want to ruin the balance of Native and try to make new. But what if I or anyone else created a better balance that will be more realistic and still be balanced? Would you at least test it?
As said in the past, the balancing process of Native Warband involved multiple developers with full access to the engine code, using the testing results and opinions of hundreds of skilful and competitive players, during the beta period of about a year: it is unlikely that someone new to the module system using testing done with a few friends could come anywhere close to that standard. You would learn things and have fun, but also probably end up with a system that misses a lot of interesting and enjoyable aspects of Native, including things that you don't personally use much but other players rely on.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Speaking shortly, I have made a heavy armor choice much more important by making the weight less and the armour stats more, so tincans are now really stronger than light-armoured classes in melee, but also much more expensive.
I don't think that is a suitable design: this game is heavily focused on player skill (compared to other games), and the Native style of heavy armor as a progressively more expensive option that gives diminishing returns in protection encourages that. Combined with the (personally speaking) distasteful practice of server hosters saving character money and items perpetually, that change would turn the mod even more into the boring grind of the traditional MMORPG, with players dominating the game just by using money and items gained outside the current environment (in an empty server, using a different scene with a money exploit, etc.), rewarding empty-headed duration of play time rather than thoughtful skill or creativity.
Baskakov_Dima said:
PW is mainly about new scripted features rather than changes to weapons, meshes, or troop trees, so you might want to try code some simple features that stand alone.
Baskakov_Dima said:
My balance does also not fit the real situation in any land in any time, but is much more interesting than Native. :smile:
The place for a major combat system overhaul would be in a different mod (you could base on PW, just giving credit and using a different name): there are many people who play PW, all with various different reasons, styles, and opinions, but mostly based around the existing scripted game mode, so a major change to the combat system would likely ruin the experience for at least some.
Baskakov_Dima said:
1) How does the shield and armour penetration mechanism work?
It is quite complicated, and I don't fully understand it in my head, but cmpxchg8b posted some information from his reverse engineering work, here and here.
Baskakov_Dima said:
How does the bouncing mechanism work?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "bouncing mechanism", but weapons might appear to bounce or "whiff" if too little damage was dealt. The "speed bonus" affects damage (relative movement of the two agents, not affected by rotation of the weapon by the attacker), as does a calculation that was commonly called "sweet spots": the start and end of the attack animation don't deal much if any damage, scaling up to full damage in a "sweet spot" in the middle of the swing arc. This represents the lack of power at the start and end of the attack movements, since the momentum is not built up or is almost stopped.
Baskakov_Dima said:
The damage type is always taken from the weapon not the ammo, if I remember correctly.
Baskakov_Dima said:
3) How to make an alternative mode for weapon?
Use the itp_next_item_as_melee flag with one item, placing the alternate item directly after it in module_items; see the PW Herding Crook for an example. You must always spawn the first item for players to be able to switch it.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Only by replacing one of the other existing attack actions: it is not possible to add any new actions to the Warband combat system.

A quick questions.

Is it possible to set up  itp_ flags on ammo instead of weapons.
Does having "piercing" and "cutting" ammo does change anything to overall damage ? Or does the damage output type are fully determined by the ranged weapons.

In CRPG, arrows have the"cut" type, but certain arrows are "pierce". I would like to do that as well.

Concerning the gameplay:

I'm fully aware of the weimar republic style that autobank create. But it's the lack of interest rate (to reduce the stocked funds ) and bank limit (to prevent scaling to infinite) that cause that.
Poor economic design where people can glitch the economic system by switching server is also a problem.

Now if the money creation would be limited to producing values where castle need them ( with stock limit on ressources) in all castle, and no "neutral" or "export place), or processing ressources/crafting (AKA transforming raws ressources in industrial production ). That would make the grinding to infinite much more harder, and more depend to castle production.

By the way. is there is any way of having a crafting max stockpile in PW_buy ?
In this closed pot design. players can still stockpile iron bar to infinite by endlessly crafting simple receipt like sword. Without having a demand on the other side.

Bank would be severely limit to 30K for most players and concerning position/items save. I'm against it due to the combat "logging" and glitching players problems.

I can't promise things before delivering them. But hopefully you should see a new overall mod(including economic overall change ) within 1 to 2 months

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
As said in the past, the balancing process of Native Warband involved multiple developers with full access to the engine code, using the testing results and opinions of hundreds of skilful and competitive players, during the beta period of about a year: it is unlikely that someone new to the module system using testing done with a few friends could come anywhere close to that standard. You would learn things and have fun, but also probably end up with a system that misses a lot of interesting and enjoyable aspects of Native, including things that you don't personally use much but other players rely on.

I think, if that balance was accepted by people playing PW (would be interesting to calculate how many people do it), it is OK - their thoughts about balance can differ from those of Native players long ago, can't they?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Speaking shortly, I have made a heavy armor choice much more important by making the weight less and the armour stats more, so tincans are now really stronger than light-armoured classes in melee, but also much more expensive.
I don't think that is a suitable design: this game is heavily focused on player skill (compared to other games), and the Native style of heavy armor as a progressively more expensive option that gives diminishing returns in protection encourages that. Combined with the (personally speaking) distasteful practice of server hosters saving character money and items perpetually, that change would turn the mod even more into the boring grind of the traditional MMORPG, with players dominating the game just by using money and items gained outside the current environment (in an empty server, using a different scene with a money exploit, etc.), rewarding empty-headed duration of play time rather than thoughtful skill or creativity.

It is a balance for Native, and it represents one feature of real life medieval balance - your armour is capped hardly (as in Native), each next step in armouring is more and more expensive (as in Native), but Native gives very low protection to tincans. What if I say, for example, that plated knight has only worry about his horse, that was not wll armored in the times of Hundred Years War (not sue how is it called in English). So I have increased the armour values for heavy armour, but have also increased the price. I have not actually even touched PW module system, only read it, done everything for Native.

From my point of view and from the point of many Nexus Roleplay players proved by them still playing the game, people like that "armour and money persistance". Why does it not look like traditional grinding? Because a) You can't actually use more than 150k of your money banked per day b) Your development is capped on Plate or Elite Armour, not allowing you to become too defended c) Armour is underpowered, giving you a protection of good chainmail in the cost of influence like of a tournament  armour set.

Do you understand now?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
PW is mainly about new scripted features rather than changes to weapons, meshes, or troop trees, so you might want to try code some simple features that stand alone.

As I said above - even if we make some really good changes?
By the way, how to implement my script feature in the game? Where should I paste my script? Or should it not be connected to the game client and be server-side?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
The place for a major combat system overhaul would be in a different mod (you could base on PW, just giving credit and using a different name): there are many people who play PW, all with various different reasons, styles, and opinions, but mostly based around the existing scripted game mode, so a major change to the combat system would likely ruin the experience for at least some.

I know that. But, saying again, what if a lot of people will like this new balance?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
How does the bouncing mechanism work?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "bouncing mechanism", but weapons might appear to bounce or "whiff" if too little damage was dealt. The "speed bonus" affects damage (relative movement of the two agents, not affected by rotation of the weapon by the attacker), as does a calculation that was commonly called "sweet spots": the start and end of the attack animation don't deal much if any damage, scaling up to full damage in a "sweet spot" in the middle of the swing arc. This represents the lack of power at the start and end of the attack movements, since the momentum is not built up or is almost stopped.

I mean, there is some probability, that, for example, a sword bounces from plate armour and I have an "armour block". I have heard about it, read on Wikia about M&B and seen several times in single-player game, but actually have no idea what it was.

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
The damage type is always taken from the weapon not the ammo, if I remember correctly.

As Aldric asks - how is it done in WFAS and cRPG then?

Vornne said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Only by replacing one of the other existing attack actions: it is not possible to add any new actions to the Warband combat system.

You mean, it is only possible to add upper thrust to a weapon that has and upper swing by replacing it, or I will have to replace an existing animation in the module system and delete it completely for all weapons to add upper thrust?

Another question - how do you reply and split quotes in parts? It is time consuming to copy the message and delete unused passages in each part.

Aldric said:
Is it possible to set up  itp_ flags on ammo instead of weapons.
Does having "piercing" and "cutting" ammo does change anything to overall damage ? Or does the damage output type are fully determined by the ranged weapons.

In CRPG, arrows have the"cut" type, but certain arrows are "pierce". I would like to do that as well.

Not only in cRPG, but also in WFAS. That was actually my question. :smile:

Aldric said:
Concerning the gameplay:

I'm fully aware of the weimar republic style that autobank create. But it's the lack of interest rate (to reduce the stocked funds ) and bank limit (to prevent scaling to infinite) that cause that.
Poor economic design where people can glitch the economic system by switching server is also a problem.

Now if the money creation would be limited to producing values where castle need them ( with stock limit on ressources) in all castle, and no "neutral" or "export place), or processing ressources/crafting (AKA transforming raws ressources in industrial production ). That would make the grinding to infinite much more harder, and more depend to castle production.

In this closed pot design. players can still stockpile iron bar to infinite by endlessly crafting simple receipt like sword. Without having a demand on the other side.

Bank would be severely limit to 30K for most players and concerning position/items save. I'm against it due to the combat "logging" and glitching players problems.

I can't promise things before delivering them. But hopefully you should see a new overall mod(including economic overall change ) within 1 to 2 months

1) You must have some coded ways to helpt the economy, because nobody will go serfs and mastersmiths otherwise. Nobody plays supporting classes if he does not get any benefits from it.
2) Producing too much is already limited - we have limited crafting reward, that is much more important than refund.

"Combatlogging" is prohibited on most servers and punished by permanent ban.

Splintert said:
Baskakov_Dima said:

More accurately, a short ban and a character wipe plus removal of some funds from their external bank.

One of my friends was banned for 5 days for the second combatlog, when I was suspected in combat log (was no combat log, but logs looked like it), I was warned, I see a lot of unban appeals on forums from combatloggers permanently banned, I know people who were permanently banned for that.

Of course, I did not mean first case of combatlogging

Two more questions.

1) Scene props. You said, it is impossible to spawn them. How do I spawn new cannons in NW then, when I take artillery train?
2) When Bannerlord is released, would you move your mod to the new game, or keep it on Warband?

Baskakov_Dima said:
Two more questions.

1) Scene props. You said, it is impossible to spawn them. How do I spawn new cannons in NW then, when I take artillery train?
2) When Bannerlord is released, would you move your mod to the new game, or keep it on Warband?

I suppose that the cannons from Napoleonic Wars are actually items.

The Bowman said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
Two more questions.

I suppose that the cannons from Napoleonic Wars are actually items.

Not sure - I can attach them to a horse, like carts in PW, and move them by horse. I think, they are both and item and a prop...

Aldric said:
I believe the damage number adds to the bow damage, but the damage type (cut, blunt, pierce) is taken from the bow only. You might want to test it yourself, because I don't remember how old that information is, and whether there has been any engine changes affecting it since.
Aldric said:
cRPG uses WSE2, which is privately developed by cmpxchg8b (he is a cRPG developer, and originally made it specifically for that mod). You can't expect any feature in cRPG to be possible in official Warband.
Aldric said:
No, because the scene prop value format is entirely taken up (every possible combination of values is a valid possible choice).
Baskakov_Dima said:
I think, if that balance was accepted by people playing PW (would be interesting to calculate how many people do it), it is OK - their thoughts about balance can differ from those of Native players long ago, can't they?
It would be practically impossible to calculate the opinion of everyone who plays PW: there are various servers around the world, which don't often have much connection between them, and there are also multiple forums used and many people who don't use forums at all.

This mod was never designed as a "direct democracy" type where people can just vote to decide what will be done, because I think that is a bad practice in the long run. I feel certain that the mod would never have been as successful if done that way, because so many people don't actually know what they would enjoy playing, when all their conflicting ideas are indiscriminately mixed together. People can post suggestions, but detailed and insightful opinions are taken individually, ignoring votes or simple "+1" or "me too" posts, which don't reveal intelligent thought.
Baskakov_Dima said:
From my point of view and from the point of many Nexus Roleplay players proved by them still playing the game, people like that "armour and money persistance". Why does it not look like traditional grinding? Because a) You can't actually use more than 150k of your money banked per day b) Your development is capped on Plate or Elite Armour, not allowing you to become too defended c) Armour is underpowered, giving you a protection of good chainmail in the cost of influence like of a tournament  armour set.
Whether hosters add explicitly discouraged features to their own servers does not influence the design of official PW. Your meaning also seems contradictory: saying that it is not like "traditional grinding" because currently plate armor doesn't make a huge difference, but then suggesting plate armor should be very protective, benefiting people who grind (boringly, away from interaction, creativity, or danger).

The approximate historical period of Warband (and by extension, PW) is before well made and very protective full suits of plate armor were used and widespread; it is centred more around chain mail, leather, and quilted cloth armor. It is not mandatory for scene makers to include the plate armor set or plated chargers.
Baskakov_Dima said:
By the way, how to implement my script feature in the game? Where should I paste my script? Or should it not be connected to the game client and be server-side?
You can implement whatever feature you like in your own local test server or in a differently named module release, but to make only server side changes requires more thorough knowledge of what could be affected, and careful testing. I should be able to specify if a feature is possible server side only, given an overall description.
Baskakov_Dima said:
I mean, there is some probability, that, for example, a sword bounces from plate armour and I have an "armour block". I have heard about it, read on Wikia about M&B and seen several times in single-player game, but actually have no idea what it was.
As said: the armor is simply reducing the damage dealt low enough that the game engine plays a different animation and sound for the hit.
Baskakov_Dima said:
You mean, it is only possible to add upper thrust to a weapon that has and upper swing by replacing it, or I will have to replace an existing animation in the module system and delete it completely for all weapons to add upper thrust?
It is only possible to make a new animation available by replacing an existing one in the game, removing from all weapons of that overall type using it. For example, changing overhead swing to upper thrust for your spear would change the animation for all polearms, including long axes, glaives, hammers, etc.
Baskakov_Dima said:
Another question - how do you reply and split quotes in parts? It is time consuming to copy the message and delete unused passages in each part.
I just click to quote the post, add my replies in between each section, closing the quote off using [ /quote ] then copy the opening [ quote author=Baskakov_Dima ... ] line and paste it after my reply, before the next split up section; it might be a bit more time consuming, but I am used to typing things out carefully and correctly when programming, so that is no big deal.
Splintert said:
Baskakov_Dima said:
More accurately, a short ban and a character wipe plus removal of some funds from their external bank.
For the obvious ones that are reported and investigated, maybe; but players can easily figure out less obvious ways to benefit from being able to disappear from the world at will and protect their stuff, that still damage immersion and competitiveness. I personally think saving everything whenever a client disappears is a bad design, wide open to abuse.
Baskakov_Dima said:
I never said that, because it would be obviously incorrect. What you might be confusing with is a regular explanation of mine in this thread: scene props are intentionally not spawned by player actions in PW, because there is no way to ever remove them and their effect on performance without completely restarting the mission (game) - an engine limitation that will not be changed or fixed.

It was something tested years ago in early PW development, but it soon caused the performance to slow unacceptably for all players connected, even by the lower standards of continuous play time in those days. The choice is between having a game mode that is stable over days to weeks, or allowing players to clutter the scene up, and PW is obviously designed around the former. Almost all other existing mods do not have this issue, because they can just spawn as many props as the players want, then the whole scene is reset in 10 to 30 minutes when the current round ends, restoring any small performance loss.

Another issue is that spawned scene props that have a "use" trigger (you can hold f / the use control to activate them) sometimes are not usable at all, seemingly randomly. I reported it to a TaleWorlds developer at the time (since they were releasing patches much more often then) and he could identify the cause, but decided not to fix it for reasons I don't clearly remember; I think the change or redesign might have been too complex or invasive to justify, after they had stopped major new development of Warband.
Baskakov_Dima said:
That depends on whether I could even play it, for a start: the new game engine might not work on Linux, which is the only operating system I use, or it might be made a steam exclusive game (based on some vague rumours): I choose not to use steam, and would be unlikely to make an exception. It would also depend on whether the official game modes included something similar, and whether the type of modding done for PW is still possible with the new engine. Another consideration would be whether I have enough free time to do the programming and testing required: it is unlikely that any of the current PW code base could be transferred over, since from what I have heard the new "module system" will be completely different. Far too soon to tell.

Back
Top Bottom