Faction Heraldry Registry

Users who are viewing this thread

Requirements:
  • This thread is for organisations or clans that have a new banner texture made and want it included in the PW download, so you can choose your custom banner when leading a faction; this is not for "personal" banners - like with native and other warband mods - since only factions can have banners in PW 4. Remember to check all the native banners already included to see if any of them would suit you, first.
  • You must have created the image yourself or been given it from someone else who did: taking banners from other mods or games without permission is not acceptable. This is so you can "gift" the banner image to be released under the conditions of the PW module system licence, to be used in other sub mods as well if desired; I don't want to try maintain a huge list of attributions and conditions for the hundreds of banners included.
  • The banner image should have dimensions of 140 pixels width and 341 height (though larger or a tiny bit smaller sizes might be possible to scale to fit).
  • The image should preferably be in a lossless or uncompressed format like .png (not something like .jpg, which can look blocky when scaled up on the armor).
  • Specify the background color you want used: this will be used for the back of heraldic armors, and lightened slightly by the code for faction color in the chat and player stats chart. The banner will look best on armor if the color you choose is the main one around the edges of your banner, but another color on the banner could be used if you want it.
  • The banner generally looks best if the main design is central and doesn't stretch right to the edges, or it will be partially cut off on the banner and armor items in game; and also if the design is fairly bold and simple, since intricate details will not be easily visible on enemy soldiers or the flag on a distant castle.
Resources:

White bannerBlack bannerStats chart mask (approximate)Flag mask (approximate)
banner_white.png
banner_black.png
banner_shield_mask.png
banner_flag_mask.png

GIMP .xcf files:
Banner masks as layers
Blank banners sheet

An example of making a simple banner using GIMP:
  • Save one of the above white or black banner images to your computer: choose the one closest to your target background color.
  • Open it with GIMP.
  • If you want to make a pattern of background colors, use tools to select the area of the image you want to colorize; if you want one solid background color, select all or don't select anything.
  • Choose the "Colorize" tool from the "Colors" menu.
  • Adjust the "Hue" slider for the desired color.
  • Adjust the "Saturation" and "Lightness" sliders as necessary: they probably shouldn't be moved very far from the middle, to avoid washing out the details or looking fluorescent.
  • You might want to experiment with opening the other starting banner (white or black) as a layer ("File" menu, "Open as Layers"), selecting that layer in the Layers window, and trying out the same Colorize operation as before, to see if the other type looks better.
  • Repeat from step 3 for any other colored areas or shapes on the banner, possibly using sections from different (white or black) starting banners if suitable.
  • Apply any other filters you like.
  • Create new layers for any separate designs or small images to be overlaid; save the file with separate layers for easy modification later.
  • To submit a completed banner image, use "Export" from the "File" menu, and give your file a .png extension (type something like "myclanbanner.png" as the file name).

Hmm, that is complicated: if you add them as scene props, they can never be changed while the mission is running (heraldic or not) so for the castle banners I use heraldic items... which have annoyances to work around, like heraldic items on the ground use the same texture without recalculating if there are any already placed: so I had to make two sets of tableau entries, and swap between them every minute (this is why the castle banners might be wrong for a while if they are changed more than once a minute: it finds the old banner still spawned, so doesn't check for the faction's new banner)... all this to say that banner "scene props" haven't been done yet, apart from the castle capture points: I'd need to add a new scaled tableau mesh, tableau, and marker scene prop for each new type, and I'm not sure if it will be possible to adjust the scale of the banner in the editor, since only the server knows the link between the item and the prop (spawned prop or item scale is not synced to clients).

I'm talking about banner that is single scene prop "banner_be" with constant texture, to mark special places that are always owned by some group or person, like GAAF for example :razz:

To save misunderstandings, it would be good if people could link to the previous post or the banner. I'm presuming artifex wants this one:
artifex said:
Also, which of the colors do you want for the background, which is also lightened a bit for the faction color? (white, blue, yellow, black)

Hail Vornne I was wondering if you could add this banner in to pw For the KTA
which is located here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161966.0.html

Tirok said:
This one is for TIDM and the house of Tidwell :grin:
Tidwell.png
This one still for the House of Tidwell please. We are quite active and have grown since then actually :grin:

Blue for the background color if you could.

Vornne said:
To save misunderstandings, it would be good if people could link to the previous post or the banner. I'm presuming artifex wants this one:
artifex said:
Also, which of the colors do you want for the background, which is also lightened a bit for the faction color? (white, blue, yellow, black)

Yellow is probably best - Tidwell is already blue and White Lion is white. Black is hard to see. So yeah - yellow.

Leif_Erikson said:
Hail Vornne I was wondering if you could add this banner in to pw For the KTA
which is located here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161966.0.html
I see three banners in a poll, and none of them are the right size for warband. I haven't made new banners myself to be able to give you a guide at making them, but I do know that they need to be this size and aspect ratio (or slightly larger like the above banners):

examplehv.png

This is a banner from PWMOD v3.5 that seems quite similar to the style you seem to want; feel free to use it as a base for your own banner. If you want to make a totally different one, you could try resizing or cropping heraldic_armor_bg.dds or custom_banner.dds (from the warband Textures directory) to use as the base cloth texture for your own design, or else use some other template that modders here might tell you of, or even texture it all yourself. The main thing is that the banner texture must be about the right proportions (width 140 and height 341), and not smaller than this example (larger textures can be scaled down without losing quality). You must also choose the background color, or I'll choose one for you, which you may not like.

deadeye238 said:
    Black is hard to see?
The script which sets faction color takes the new banner background color and lightens it, so black will appear gray. You can see this by comparing the color on the back of heraldic armors with the stats chart and faction chat colors.

Since it seems like people might have been scared off by my request for active faction banners, not personal ones: if you have a decent looking banner that you think you might want to use now or sometime in the future for an organisation or clan or whatever, post it here; as it is now, there are at least 18 of 21 new banner spots available (and another 21 could be added later in another texture sheet). The reason I specified no personal banners was in case I got 100 requests from all sorts of random players wanting their personal banner (which wouldn't be used); but if you have a nice banner you might like to use for a PW 4 faction from time to time, just post. They can be added later, but it's easier for me if I can add a lot of banners at once, rather than one at a time.

I have made the banners myself Vornne I was just unsure of how to get them on the poll( new to forum ) but i have all 3 of them in dds format and may also have a 4th being done for me and was just wondering when my faction chose the specific banner if it could be added into the next update. and in choosing the background do i just tell you or is that more work for me?

Making it yourself is totally fine, but it must be in the correct proportions, or it will look stretched and horrible in game. Choosing the background color is very simple: just tell me which of the colors on the banner you want to be the "main" one, used for the backgrounds and the faction color. The top banner in your poll is probably too shiny and wouldn't look very good in game; you want it to have approximately the same look as the other banners in this thread.

Also, a hint to other people making new banners: it looks best if you don't stretch the design in the middle right to the edges of the banner, I added the RCC banner last night (since it was easy to copy from v3.5) and the white horse disappears off the side of the heraldic armors; the black lion on the bluvard banner is almost too big, and the tidwell winged sword is probably about right, though a touch smaller wouldn't hurt.

It is of the right proportion and have already added it in my native banners, and it looks fine almost looks like silk( almost realistic) but if you deem it unworthy to be in your mod i will come up with a different one

I can't tell until you post the texture you have actually used - the ones in the poll are the wrong proportions. What's the deal with the "shutterstock" watermark on the first one?

That looks like you've simply squashed the original image to fit the banner size, making "line" glitches more obvious in the lower left side. I tried it in game, but the results are less than stunning:
badbanner.jpg
I think the banner would look better with more of a cloth texture, and less of the really dark shadows and really bright highlights...

well my faction has yet again changed their minds and im not letting it happen again so please could you add this one instead
leiferiksonrequest3.png

the background would be either white or red I leave this up to you as you would know what looks better.

It looked pretty awesome on the gambeson, but terrible on the mail and banner :razz:

Is there any way I could see a screen of how the Tidwell banner looks? That way I could get some changes in if needed.

Back
Top Bottom