AAR: The Journey of Illyis Kryr

Users who are viewing this thread

This is an AAR that was inspired by Me, Floris. Naturally.  :razz: I have decided to try my hand at this.

Gameplay Settings

I am using the Floris Expanded Mod Pack, v2.4
Normal Damage
Normal Friendly Damage
Good Combat AI
Good Campaign AI
Normal Speed
150 Troop Battles
102% Difficulty

In other words it's realism.

So let's get this thing started. I have quite a bit already done, with screenshots and everything. So enjoy and tell me what you like and/or don't like about it.

April 8, 1257

I have finally found some paper in the inn here at Suno. I don't even remember how long it's been since I ran away from my home. My life, my family, they are all left behind. I have nothing. Nothing but what I have on my back. It started a few months ago, when my lord Valashin accused my father of stealing valuables from him. How could this be? How? He was a simple cattle herder in the outskirts of Fisdnar! Valashin had my father thrown in prison for nothing! How this had really come to be, I don't know. Nor will I ever know, I think. Either way, it's in the past. Two days after this occurred, Valashin came after my mother and sister. It pains me to write this part of my own story. My mother and sister... He went after them, kidnapped them, and god only knows what he did to them in his manor. The morning after, they were found dead on the very doorway of our hut. I was shocked and angry. I vowed to kill Valashin, and went up to his manor on the hill, surrounded by his peasant-worked fields. I had hidden a hunting knife in my robes, disguised myself as a kitchen worker, and slipped inside the manor unseen. I searched everywhere... I couldn't find the damned man. He was gone, presumably on a raid on the Nords. I couldn't kill him, so I did the next best thing that I could think of. I stole his valuables, everything I could find, picked up a torch, and set the manor ablaze. I ran away that day. Of course everyone would be assuming that I had destroyed the building. I was the only one with a reason to do so. My fellow villagers would rat me out to Valashin, just for the hope that he might even give them a small bit of bread. Those people have made me sick. I ran away as soon as the fire caught hold, not even stopping to gather my things. I traveled far, gathering what food I needed from nature. About a week into my journey, I came across a man, alone in the woods. I could tell that he was gravely injured, so I naturally rushed over to him, seeing if I could help him in any way. He was dead before I could even get there. He had a bow, a quiver with arrows, and a large woodsman's axe. I took them. I looted a dead body. Maybe my father really was a thief, and I had inherited his traits. Maybe the deaths and imprisonments of my family made me bitter. Either way, I was not going to leave him there to rot. I dug him a shallow grave and laid him in it, covering the ditch with dirt and stones. I was exhausted, but I knew I had done the right thing. At that moment, there was a large crack behind me, like a branch being snapped in half. I turned, and there stood a horse, with saddle and all. One more gift from the unknown dead. From there, I traveled to Praven, hunting and foraging for my food. It was from here that I started my quest for revenge. For great justice.

mb_warband2011-04-1815-27-15-00.jpg

Kryr's Starting Stats

I was eager to get within the city walls. I had been traveling for weeks, and I was exhausted. I slumped down in an alleyway and promptly fell asleep. It was a wonder that nobody robbed me during the night. I woke up the next morning, ready to explore the city and see what I could accomplish. I took only a few steps before I heard the sound of a bow being drawn behind me. I ducked right as an arrow flew past my head. I whirled around, already drawing the axe from my back, as my attacker rushed towards me with a mace and shield. I was nearly killed on my first day in a strange new land. I would not allow it to happen again. I would be a nobody, forgotten in history as just another victim of a mugging. I swung my axe as hard as I could, throwing myself off-balance, but taking the thief unaware. I cleanly cut into his chest, lodging my axe somewhere near his heart. A few guards came running towards the sounds of the dying man's screams. I hastily tugged the axe back into my grasp and wiped it on the dead man's cloak. A merchant ran up to me, saying he had seen the whole thing. He invited me to come with him into his house, where the guards wouldn't be able to find me.

mb_warband2011-04-1815-31-54-93.jpg

The Merchant

I went with him, and once we were in the house, he turned to me, and said that he needed my help. This aroused my curiosity instantly. He said that his brother had been kidnapped, and that he could not pay the ransom to bring him back. I felt a certain kind of kinship with the man. I accepted his plea for help, and he gave me some money to help recruit some support of my own, and sent me on my way. However, I first went to the markets of Praven to sell off the furs and leather that I had accumulated in my weeks of travel to Praven. It was at this time that I heard of the tournament taking place. I rushed to the arena, and entered my name. I was arrogant. So arrogant that I even bet two hundred denars on myself. I was fitted with a sword and shield for the first round. It's a miracle that I even came out of it unscathed. I was not so lucky for the next round. I was eliminated very quickly. Who was I to think that I could compete with these veteran warriors. It was a moment of enlightenment for me. I realized that I was not in fact invincible.

mb_warband2011-04-1815-36-25-95.jpg

Elimination

I left the town of Praven, feeling shameful. I went to the village of Azgad, seeking recruits. I waved money in peoples' faces, but could only get three peasants to follow me. As I was heading back towards Praven, I was attacked by a group of looters. These thugs and criminals are just like the lords of this land. They take what they want, and will hurt innocent people to get it. Suffice to say that I felt great joy in their massacre. These animals deserved what was coming for them. I stripped them of their looted weapons and rode towards Praven once again. However, before I could get within the city walls, I was attacked by a larger band of looters. They had more than triple the amount of men I had. This time we were the ones massacred. As I was knocked unconscious by a man with a club, I saw those peasants die, and I felt sorrow. Sorrow for them and for their families, who would never see them again. They wouldn't even know what had happened to them, why they never came back. If I wasn't getting bashed in the head repeatedly, I would have wept for them.

mb_warband2011-04-1815-37-33-96.jpg

A fortunate position on a cliff

I was dragged around for two days. I heard them talking about me, saying that they were going to ransom me. I knew that nobody would come for me. Nobody knew me. So I promptly made my escape. I was able to get away from the mob as they were drinking. I found my horse, jumped onto it, and rode off as fast as I could. It occurred to me that I needed more help if I was going to ever be able to help others. I went to the towns of Veidar and Iyindah, recruiting another six people. I returned to Praven safely this time and went to the tavern to seek out the merchant. He told me that there was a group of robbers spotted right outside the city walls, and that they most likely knew where the merchant's brother was being held. I rode out to them with my small party, and asked them politely where the brother was held. They attacked me, so I cut them down. They never had a chance... After the small encounter, I found that one of the men was still breathing. I demanded that he tell me where his hideout was. He was able to gasp the word Gisim. I slashed his throat, giving him a quick death to end his suffering. It's the most I would do for these people. I rode towards the town of Gisim, and discovered the hideout that the kidnappers were using. I was a hard trek down to the caves where they were hiding, but in the end, they were lying dead before me. The merchant's brother was freed from his captivity, and returned to Praven. I gathered all of the loot that the kidnappers had accumulated, and headed back to Praven myself.

Shortly after I got back to Praven and sold everything that I had gotten from the kidnappers, I went back to the tavern to see the merchant. He was incredibly grateful to me for rescuing his brother. He promptly offered me another job. It would appear that there was a corrupt old guard captain. Typical. The underlings following the lords around like lemmings. No common sense, no respect or valor, no honor... I agreed to help capture this corrupt captain, but was knocked out by a stray arrow. The merchant's men dragged me back to his house, and I recovered quickly. I learned that the captain was captured, but that many townsfolk died or were wounded. Such is the price of justice. The merchant told me to meet him back at the tavern in a little while. He had to go and explain his actions to the king. What little good that did him. He was lucky his head wasn't taken off right there where he stood. Damn nobles. After I met him back at the tavern, he fled, and I wandered around the town, looking for something - anything - to do. I stumbled upon a well-to-do man, and he informed me that he was the guild master of this fair town. I asked him if he had any work, and he told me of a large herd of cattle that needed to be transported to Tulga, in the Khergit Khanate. It was a long ways from Praven to Tulga, but the pay was good and I couldn't turn him down. It was a long and hard trek. Those cattle were always restless, and often strayed from the path. I barely managed to keep them in line. We got to Tulga a few days later, and when we got there, we met the prominent Guild Master there too. He, unfortunately, didn't have any work suited for me, so I headed all the way back to Praven. Well... At least it was much faster than with the cattle. I got back, and got paid the sum of 665 denars. Not bad for not that much work.

mb_warband2011-04-1816-13-09-21.jpg

I Receive My Pay

Once again, though, a kidnapping took place. Apparently the captain of the guard had one last plan in motion. The king, after hearing that the daughter of a wealthy merchant was kidnapped, executed the old captain himself. Well would you look at that. The King can actually act honorably once in a while. I had to take a ransom of 920 denars to a place called Aab, all the way in the middle of the Sarranid Desert. This was all the way across Calradia from where I was currently. But I told myself that it was worth it. I just took it one step at a time, and went to the markets. using the money from the merchant, I was able to buy a decent sword and some more arrows, in exchange for my money and axe. I went to the tavern, hoping to rest for the night and begin my journey tomorrow. I walked up to the bar, next to a man that smelled like he had been there for hours on end. We ended up getting into an argument, and he drew his sword as my hand reached for mine. The damn smith sold me a sword that was stuck in the scabbard. I couldn't draw my sword, and I was easily beaten. I took a few slashes across the chest before the other patrons in the bar wrestled the man out the door. When I regained consciousness, I was laying in a bed upstairs, with a man looking over me. I had fresh bandages on my chest. The man saw me wake up, and introduced himself as Jeremus. He said that he was a doctor, that he was the one that healed me after the fight. I thanked him, and asked him if he would lik to join my little party. I explained what I was doing, and he gladly accepted. If felt nice to have a good doctor on my side.

mb_warband2011-04-1816-16-50-79.jpg

Jeremus Joins Me

That day we set out towards the desert, and stopped at every large town on the way. I found quite a few new companions, each with their own reasons for wanting to join with me. At Suno, I met a man named Alayen, and I found a woman named Deshavi at Uxkhal. I began traveling towards Dhirim, but was delayed by 12 forest bandits. We stood no chance. My party was scattered. Those who did not die ran away. I was seperated from the group, and was dragged off. I was able to escape again by some miracle, but I had lost my horse, 330 denars, and all of the people I had met on the way. I felt like I was on the run from Fisdnar again. On foot, I was able to make my way back to Uxkhal, and collapsed in the tavern. I woke up to someone calling my name. Alayen had been looking for me. I staggered towards him and greeted him, glad to see a familiar face again. We set off shortly after, and had an uneventful travel to Dhirim, where I was able to meet an interesting young lady by the name of Katrin. She too joined me, and we set out for Aab. We stopped by the Khergit city of Halmar, where I visited the tavern again. As I was leaving, a group of bandits tried to rob me in the street. I was able to drive them off, and get away. We set off for Aab, once again. When we got there, there was a much larger party of kidnappers than I thought there would be. I was forced to pay the 920 denars, and at least they were honest. They let the girl go. Interesting how these thieves and thugs have more valor and honor and honesty than the lords of these realms. We gathered her up, crying her eyes out, and brought her to Ahmerrad in the Sarranid Sultanate. We rested for a day, and started our long travel back to Praven. Why must these people send us so far away?

mb_warband2011-04-1816-22-55-06.jpg

Deshavi Also Joins Me

We stopped by Suno again, hearing that there was a tournament going on. I joined in, but learned from the last time not to bet any money on myself. Sure enough, I was knocked out, albeit in the third round this time. I came out of it with a few bruises, but we continued towards Praven. once we arrived, the girl ran off, crying, towards her father. The Guild Master walked up to me, thanked me, and offered money for my hardships. I tried to decline it, saying that I knew exactly how the father felt, but he wouldn't settle for no. I took the money, thanked him, and turned. He wasn't done with me, however, and offered me yet another job. He was really starting to trust me. He said that the people of Swadia were suffering deeply. He knew by now how to get to my soft spot. There are two lords who object to peace, he said. Baron Rochabarth of Swadia, and Wang Alagur of the Khergit Khanate. I had to accept this job offer. It struck close to home. I set foot outside the city walls and wandered to Suno, where I am right now. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to even get those lords to listen to me, but I will make it happen.

mb_warband2011-04-1816-55-40-40.jpg

My Current Stats

April 23, 1257

I left Suno shortly after I wrote my last passage. I set out to find Baron Rochabarth, and ran into Duke Delinard on the way to Uxkhal. He spoke to me, which surprised me, and said that even a common man can rise up and do what he wants. This amazed me greatly. This was the first noble I have ever seen who actually supports peasants. I liked him a great deal just for his words to me that day. After having a small conversation with him about a few topics of the land, I asked him where Rochabarth was. He pointed me in the direction of Uxkhal, where I was currently heading towards anyway. I traveled there and found him in the keep of the city. I talked to him, asked him if I could gain his favor by doing any tasks for him, but he unfortunately had no jobs at the time. I would have to try again at a later date. I lingered in the town for a while and competed in the local arena matches. I never got very far. It was at this point that I got news that Dhirim was captured by the Nords. This did not really concern me because I was not a part of any kingdom, but I'd have to keep an eye on the situation anyway.

mb_warband2011-04-2117-40-43-07.jpg

I Meet Duke Delinard

I left Uxkhal shortly after I got this news, and headed towards the Khergit Khanate in hopes of finding Wang Alagur. I stopped by a few villages, recruiting more help along the way. I never knew I was a man people would follow. I guess I am just a bit of hope for these peasants. We'll see how this will all play out. The nobles will probably not like me meddling with their lands. In any case, I traveled to Halmar, where I met Prince Valdym the Bastard. I talked with him, and he told me that he was the rightful heir to the Vaegir throne. I politely listened to what he had to say, but I didn't really give any thought to it. His goal was one that would be absolutely impossible to reach. I also met Darga Akadan, who told me where Alagur currently was. I headed out to where he was reported to be, but I couldn't find him around anywhere. I wandered around again back and forth between villages, getting more help along the way. I apparently have a way with words with these peasants or something. I don't know. While wandering, I met a Khergit Darga by the name of Imirza. As I approached him, he saw that I was a commoner and spit in my face, forcing me to my knees to even speak with him. Needless to say, the meeting was very short. I vowed never to be humiliated like this again. Even if it costs me my life.

mb_warband2011-04-2119-09-35-17.jpg

A Typical Noble

I looked around for Alagur, and my wanderings eventually led me to Reyvadin. I don't know how I strayed so far off course, but luck would have it that there was a tournament going on at the time. I entered and was doing good at first. I even knocked out the leader of the Vaegirs. This was a huge shock to the crowd. Hopefully it showed the common people in Reyvadin that they have power, even if it is repressed by the damn nobles. He got his revenge, however, when he eliminated me in the fourth round. Hey, at least I'm getting farther into it. As I left the town, I kind of gave up my wanderings, and traveled to Dhirim. I strolled the streets, and saw all of the death and destruction and looting that was left over by the Nord invasion. This is the kind of thing that has to stop. These poor innocent people of this land pay the price for every stupid noble's actions, and the nobles are never at fault, due their "Rights." I met up with the Guild Master of the town, and he said that all the recent events have caused a large amount of people to turn into criminals. This is unfortunate, but he asked me to hunt them down. I accepted, mainly because I was a bit desperate for money, and rode out to destroy these bands of looters.

mb_warband2011-04-2119-13-15-09.jpg

Me In The Tournament

I spotted a trail of dust in the distance, so I hurried my way over to it and spotted a group of around ten or so people arguing. I rode up to them, and they attacked me, perceiving that I was to be one of their first targets. They were wrong. It was a deadly mistake. I saw two of my men go down, but every single one of them was killed, either by my arrows or my men's swords. I acquired their loot from previous victims, and rode back to the markets of Dhirim to sell it all. I also met with the Guild Master again and received my pay of forty denars for this one band. I was also able to acquire a new longsword using this money and the items that I had gained. I went back out to try and patrol the lands, looking for more bands, but I couldn't find any. I began looking for Wang Alagur again, and once more traveled to Halmar. On the way there I heard that Rochabarth was released from captivity. I never knew he was captured to begin with, or else I would have tried to get him out somehow. I arrived at Halmar and was able to see Alagur in his keep. He had many of the same views as Duke Delinard had. We talked for a bit, and he - along with Delinard - convinced me that not every noble is as evil as most.

mb_warband2011-04-2119-28-59-60.jpg

I Meet With Wang Alagur

He provided me with a job, asking me to deliver a letter to a Sarranid Lord. I happily accepted, knowing that I needed to gain his favor for my larger quest, and headed for the desert. I traveled to Samarra Castle, recriting even more people on the way, and talked to Mushir Hamezan. I was able to deliver the letter and go back to Alagur relatively safely. I talked to Alagur one I was in Halmar again, and I found out that the Swadians and the Khergits made peace. Typical. I try to help out, but they don't even need me. Reminds me of the ti Never mind. I left Halmar and traveled towards Dhirim again, hoping to find more looter bands. I had a very bad encounter with a rather large band of deserters of differing nations, and I tried offering them a place in my group. However, I did not have nearly as much money as the wanted, so they attacked me. I was knocked out early, in the first cavalry charge. I was lucky, but most of my men weren't. I woke up in Dhirim, and talked with my companions. They dragged me out of the battlefield, they said. They also said that nine of my men were able to escape. This came at great cost. The other fifteen men sacrificed their lives trying to delay our attackers. I will never forget these brave men who gave their own lives for others. I will need to find a way to memorialize their noble deaths. They are more deserving of the title of Lord, and even the title of King, than any of the people who currently hold them.

mb_warband2011-04-2120-29-46-12.jpg

My Current Stats

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having quite a bit of fun with this. This is the only character that has actually had a storyline behind my playing. Most of my others are just there to try to conquer the lands. But this one has real meaning to it. Also please point out anything that I overlooked or anything that would help with my overall writing. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom