Succession Game/Communal AAR: Ogdelbur

Users who are viewing this thread

Open-Source AAR: a narrative project many people work on with pretty much no organization at all. One person starts the character with a little background, plays some, writes some, then uploads the save file and posts the story so someone else can continue it.

To be clear, a few sentences and a save file are absolutely accepted. Let me repeat: the maximum required is that you play the character, upload the save when you are done, and write a sentence or two about what you did with him. Please don't think that the example set by Blackfish and myself has raised the bar that high and you will be laughed out of the thread for submitting any less. I'm more interested in the number of participants and the strange/diverse places you fine people take the character to than long entries with lots of pictures. I did it because I couldn't stop myself from continuing to type and I suspect Blackfish is the same way.

I was inspired to this idea by Waggywags in this thread. The difference here is that there was no mention of a continuous narrative that tied the save games together.

For this particular one (the first of its kind I think though similar projects are welcomed) the rules are this:
  • Anyone can work from any save point even if someone else already has/is. I will keep track of the evolving posts and alternate universes in the OP. You can even come back into the story again later if you so choose. No need to ask me, just get going.
  • You can do anything you want to the character. Change his whole face and skin, wreck his whole party, cause rebellions, burn villages, anything. However, it is SUGGESTED you make some effort to stay within reasonable twists and turns based on the story thus far. This does not mean radical changes are not allowed but, well, just do a good job writing about them. I really don't want to see a loyal Swadadian make an attempt on Harlaus' life with the only explanation being "And then he went bonkers."
  • Take screenshots of anything important and upload those too please. If you change the character radically or some big event happens like capture or superb victory or spiffy new armor we want to see it!
  • Include at the end of your post where the character ended up when you were done, you'll see an example below.
  • Converting the save or exporting the character to a mod is definitely allowed. In fact, I think it'd be quite awesome to have this thread eventually show dozen's of alternate universes all stemming from one point, hence the reason I started in Native. If exporting and converting don't work then recreating the character new is fine with me.
  • All the writing does not have to be good or long. If English is not your first language don't worry about, many of us suck at it anyway. I think I write well but I KNOW I write long. I'm not intending the first chapter to be the template for the rest of the AAR. Write however you want, people.
  • Feel free to modify/ignore the example I've set with this first post however you want. I'm sure I'll be entertained no matter what comes out of this.
  • This one is realistic saving but I don't care if someone submits one that is not.
  • If you need help figuring out some of the presentation items feel free to ask. If someone were to be so kind as to write a tutorial on posting pictures and saves and what not I'll link it here.
  • No cheats.
  • Spend any amount of time you want with the character. Stopping in to say very generally what you are doing with the character is encouraged.

Character Particulars:
Started with: Impoverished Noble, Page, Squire, and REVENGE in Shariz.

2011040600018.jpg

2011040600027.jpg

Character Introduction:
Ogdelbur (Og-del-boor) is a capable and bitter man in his late 40's, rather old for the time. He has only suffered through his life without a single day of contentment. His father was respected as a noble but in the hard and infertile land south of Amashke that just meant he was targeted for punishment by larger clans when his village did not produce enough tribute. To pay some of the debt supposedly owed Ogdelbur was indentured to his overlords as a page and then a squire. When his time was up he returned to the village where he grew up but had seldom seen the last few years and found strangers had moved in after the original inhabitants abandoned it a year or so previous. Ogdelbur was not welcome in his home and when he tried to force the issue he was beaten and cast out. After wandering for some weeks he found the remnants of his father's clan squatting beside a stream higher in the hills where they thought they could be left alone. Due to some sense of familial duty he stayed with them and took a wife, fathered children.

However, his children all died too young for him to have grown to like them and his wife whom he never loved but also never cheated on left him in the night with a traveling goods peddler. Waking up the next morning to find his nearly 5 decades of life had amounted to nothing and that he was considered an old failure by the younger men of the village, Ogdelbur had finally had enough. When a strong young lad began to mock 'Old Og' for his inability to keep his woman home Ogdelbur stabbed him in the chest with the small knife he had been using to carve the stone figures he had taken up as a hobby. A little surprised at his own reaction but then pleased by the shock and dismay on the younger man's face, Ogdelbur calmly stood up, walked to his hut, packed the rusty sword, shield, hunting crossbow, and bolts he had stolen and stashed away while a squire, took his carvings and rode away on his swaybacked old saddle horse. Free from all that had dragged him down - family, home, decency - he finally smiled and kept on smiling even wider as he remembered the upstart mocking him then dumbly tugging on the little knife in his chest. Ogdelbur had caused misery when the world mocked him and he was quite pleased. Exercising this newfound freedom and taking revenge on a world that had only beaten him down his whole life until it finally killed him occurred to Ogdelbur as precisely the thing he would do.

Change Log: The way I am numbering the chapters is based on their timeline, how many submissions precede them in that timeline, then what order chapters with the same pedigree are submitted. Currently the tree looks like this:

ogdelburchaptertree.png

A very complex one could eventually look like this:
opensourcechaptertree.png

Chapter AuthorDaysMod
1            Ogrecorps    1-5        Native
2A (Part 1, Part 2)Blackfish6-9Native
2BOgrecorps    5-40        Native
3BA          Fierkraag    40-51        Native
2C          Ogrecorps    1-4        1755 Old Frontier v2.8
4BA          Ogrecorps    51-73        Native

March 23, 1257 - Morning
It had been an interesting morning and Ogdelbur smiled to himself as he lounged in the with the guild master of Shariz on his pillows and rugs. His eyes wandered to the ally some 20 paces away where he'd been accosted earlier by some fool who had seen him receive coin for his little stone carvings. The streets were empty then and the ruffian had taken a crossbow bolt to the shoulder but was likely less surprised by that than the sword shoved between his ribs. Pushing the man off his blade, Ogdelbur had let him fall backwards and slide down the set of stairs he had just climbed.

Yes, today had been good to Old Og. That fool plus the boy back home and now the 20 looters left in the desert made 22 men he had killed in a day and a half - and he had profited greatly. Now this soft merchant wanted to give him even more money for some sort of deed. Ogdelbur was enjoying his anger and freedom immensely. Hiring on that silly peacock Alayan had been a decision made with little conscious thought and more good mood. He spoke like a fool but could certainly be useful and if he wasn't then Og would have to find a way to get his 300 denars out of him. Trading armor and finding him to be more useful with the crossbow was a good start.

2011040600016.jpg

2011040600017lf.jpg

2011040600020.jpg

2011040600021.jpg

2011040600023.jpg

2011040600024.jpg

2011040600025.jpg

2011040600026.jpg

2011040600028.jpg

March 25, 1257 - Afternoon
Furious, Ogdelbur stormed into the tavern in Shariz and bellowed for Alayan. The traveler looked started while the mercenary horseman seemed interested in where this commotion would lead. Not finding the coward he was seeking, Ogdelbur stalked back out into the street where the farmer he'd freed along with himself - no thanks to that stoop-shouldered mouse of a man - waited, trying to look like a hardened warrior who just didn't have any weapons or armor. Og cursed, then cursed again, loud and long, mostly enraged that Alayan had NOT been captured with him when the fight against 8 mere looters suddenly went sideways - literally - from a lucky rock to Ogdelbur's head. Well, he'd find him eventually and beat an answer out of him. 300 denars! For what?! As far as Og could tell he hadn't hit a one of them with that crossbow and Og had killed 3! Then he had finished the other 5 a day and a half later when he wriggled free of the pathetic rope they had used. Wretched beasts...

2011040600029.jpg

2011040600030.jpg

2011040600032.jpg

March 27, 1257 - Dusk
Ogdelbur knew true happiness and finally understood what it was the warlords who tormented his peaceful father had been seeking: power, glory, and respect. He found all those today when he had expected none. The farmer had suggested that if they were to roam about looking for trouble perhaps they should recruit some similarly minded individuals from the villages around. Perhaps they could find more like him: men who would use any excuse to escape the drudgery of their farms and heartless overlords.

And so it came to pass that Ogdelbur, mounted on his old black horse, lead 15 men into battle against an equal number of roaming looters. Charging forward, his improvised plan worked beautifully and drew the attention of most of the looters to him while his hired men charged in from behind. Four of those men had died when the more experienced looters saw what was happening and counter-charged. Ogdelbur in turn charged amongst them and broke their line, allowing his men to crush through and slaughter those remaining. At the end of the battle Ogdelbur was still quite worked up and rode his horse around madly, waving his sword and hollering in victory. He looked at his men and he saw awe, respect, devotion.

2011040600033.jpg

2011040600034.jpg

2011040600035.jpg

2011040600036.jpg

One can dream...
2011040600038.jpg

Final Condition
Allegiance:None
Wealth/renown/level/day:380/105/3/5
Fiefs:None
Party size and composition/Companions:12, low level infantry
Combat inclinations:1h weapons
Save File:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8LSHCGEO
Character or save notes:Uh.. doobie doobie doo. That's all.
Author's Notes: Didn't get hit with a rock to get captured, just got good and injured then retreated but apparently wasn't far enough away to keep from getting counted as wounded in the aftermath - Alayan too. :sad:

This looks interesting, can I be the next to have a go? (Failing that, after the second person.) I like the early game better, and struggling to survive is always a more engaging narrative anyway. I can play tonight, and maybe have it up late tonight or early tomorrow. (To clarify it's about evening here.)

killer110 said:
Is cheats allowed?
No. Thank you for reminding me, I added that to the OP.
Blackfish said:
This looks interesting, can I be the next to have a go? (Failing that, after the second person.) I like the early game better, and struggling to survive is always a more engaging narrative anyway. I can play tonight, and maybe have it up late tonight or early tomorrow. (To clarify it's about evening here.)
Knock yourself out, good sir! I added the part in bold to clarify.
Ogrecorps said:
For this particular one (the first of its kind I think) the rules are this:
  • Anyone can work from any save point even if someone else already has/is. I will keep track of the evolving posts and alternate universes in the OP. You can even come back into the story again later if you so choose. No need to ask me, just get going.

Lord Brutus said:
I concur with the addition of Blackfish, he's a very good storyteller.
And what about you Brutus? Care to pick up where he leaves off? Or you could even load up the save I left and write a parallel chapter!
Nicholas Bell said:
Great backstory Ogrecorps.  You write for a living?
Thank you! No, I don't. The backstory evolved from 3 things: the choices I made to create Ogdelbur, the random decision to give him a little grey in his hair, and then the fact that I found myself toying with those first bandits. Tying those pieces together gave me someone who was old, skilled, somewhat cruel, and just setting out adventuring on his own. That sounded to me like someone who had lived hard and seen no rewards, was fed up and angry. That was all compounded when I easily handled 21 men in the first morning then got captured being cocky against 8. I was mad and it seemed like Og would be too. Then that basis of bitter cruelty and anger at the whole world spawned his joy in triumph over those 15 looters.

From there I can see Og becoming a real terror and bastard who cares for no one and nothing but I'm happy for others to take him wherever they want which I see as the strength of this project. I would love to see him ported into other mods and living in multiple realities simultaneously. I fear, however, that there are not enough people willing to undertake the small task of running the ball for a few yards. I would LOVE to see small, badly-written chapters if only because it means someone else joined in.

Lord Brutus said:
I concur with the addition of Blackfish, he's a very good storyteller.
D'awww.  :smile: Thanks.

Chapter 2A, Part I: Resolution For the Past

Ogdelbur tugged impatiently at the reins of his old swaybacked horse. It had seen better days, but his clan's fallen fortunes had not allowed Ogdelbur to purchase a proper warhorse. For now, it will have to do. His men trudged behind him on foot. His recruits had been impoverished farmers and vagrants, so none of them had come to him with a horse, though most of them knew how to ride.

Glancing over his sorry lot, Ogdelbur wondered how he was going to make use of them. For now they were no more than a rabble - having served in an actual army himself, he had no illusions as to what would happen to them if they stumbled onto a professional fighting force. But if they survived, they could in time become decent fighters. The first priority, Ogdelbur thought, was to get horses for them. Ogdelbur knew from experience that even lightly-armed cavalry could be a significant nuisance, where lightly-armed infantry would be just arrow fodder.

Still, they had won him a victory, if only against looters. During the ensuing celebration Ogdelbur had chanced to notice a pendant dangling between the bosom of a tavern keep. It was an equastrian pendant, common enough throughout the lands of the Khergit horse lords, but Ogdelbur could have recognized the horned horse, the symbol of his diminished clan, anywhere. He was also fairly sure that he himself had carved that pendant. A few terrified squeals later Ogdelbur found out how the tavern keep came by it. According to her some travelling merchant had sold it to her for a couple of denars. All the anger that had temporarily been allayed by the blood of the looters had flooded back in a rush. After determining that the thrice-damned merchant had made for Dhirim, Ogdelbur had ordered his men to pick up their swords and follow him. The men were sullen, but did as they were told, and within the hour Ogdelbur was out of Halmar.

Ogdelbur licked his lips as he thought of the various unpleasant things he had in store for the merchant and his wife. Yes, it was going to be glorious.

++++++++++

mbwarband20110408120006.png

"Are you sure?"

The guild master of Dhirim snorted, waving Ogdelbur away like some annoying fly. "Of course I'm sure. Don't worry, they'll come in again in a month or so."

Without another word Ogdelbur turned and stalked away. It turned out that his wife and the merchant had left for Reyvadin, the great capital of the Vaegir Kingdom, the day before. No matter. I'll catch them this time.

mbwarband20110408120449.png
As Ogdelbur and his men descended from the Dhirim plateau they encountered several band of refugees fleeing towards the Swadian heartlands. They were running away from the invading Khergits, who had scored several minor victories against the Swadian counts on the frontier. A month ago Ogdelbur would have sympathised and commiserated with the peasants, but now he felt a stirring of excitement. Times of troubles were always a good thing for men on the rise, and as he was practically a landless noble, he did not have to worry about his lands being laid to waste. As far as Ogdelbur son of Ogdelbur was concerned, the wretched smallfolk in Amashke could feast on ashes.

In the afternoon Ogdelbur and his men came across a small band of looters. As the looters had not spotted them, Ogdelbur ordered his men to hide behind a hill while Ogdelbur rode ahead to lure the looters towards his men.
mbwarband20110408120622.png
Predictably, the looters gave chase, hurling rocks and threats at him. When they were halfway up the hill, Ogdelbur gave a predetermined signal and his men appeared over the crest of the hill, charging down at the looters. The looters, caught by surprise and out of breath, never stood a chance and were quickly overwhelmed, though one of Ogdelbur's men was killed.

mbwarband20110408120809.png

mbwarband20110408120825.png
One of the looters had surrendered and begged for mercy, but Ogdelbur did not want to be slowed down, so he had the man garrotted.

mbwarband20110408121256.png
It was dark when they finally reached Reyvadin, so Ogdelbur had his men camp outside while he went into the town looking for his cuckolding wife. In the first tavern he asked, the tavern keep had not seen his wife or the merchant, though Ogdelbur was approached by a stranger. It turned out that he was a wandering traveller, and had chanced to hear the conversation.
traveller1.png
He claimed that Ogdelbur’s wife and the merchant was not in Reyvadin, but that he knew where they were. He also demanded 30 denars in exchange for parting with the information, which after some hesitation Ogdelbur grudgingly paid.

That they weren’t at Reyvadin turned out to be an understatement of sorts. They were, in fact, at Veluca, precisely the opposite way from Dhirim. Ogdelbur cursed under his breath. That guild master at Dhirim had been lying, then. His men were too tired and were likely to desert him if he forced them to march now, so Ogdelbur decided to spend the night in Reyvadin. In the morning he would resume his chase. In the meantime Ogdelbur could use some rest himself.

++++++++++

Note: Sorry, I know I said this'd be up last night, but wow. It's actually a lot more work than I thought. I'll have the rest of it, the final condition, and the file up soon.

EDIT: modified chapter naming to fit in with numbering scheme.

Blackfish said:
YES YES YES! This is exactly what I was looking for! Everything from here on out can be terrible and I'll still be happy! Nice work, Blackfish, nice work indeed! I like the part numbering system, the subtle change toward mounted troops, the disguised search for Alayan (I think), and especially the connection through the tavern keeper back to Og's angry roots! Well done! Well done indeed, sir!

Edit: Since the Duck and Spackle Tavern seemed an interesting and appropriate place to post this an my other AAR I have imported them there. This one has been copied here.

Chapter 2A, Part II: Resolution For the Past

Ogdelbur took a deep breath. Here in the hinterland of Veluca, the smell of flowers and sweet fruit everywhere permeated the pre-dawn air. His men were in high spirits, though Ogdelbur took care to maintain the appropriate discipline, keeping a constant pace on the road. Despite the various wars brewing in the realm, they had not encountered any bandit parties since departing Reyvadin. Or perhaps they had deemed Ogdelbur's party to be not worth the trouble, given the rich pickings available everywhere for less effort - bands of refugees rarely travelled with many armed escorts, if at all. Whatever the reason, Ogdelbur was thankful for it. He was still a few days behind his quarry,and every additional hour counted.

arrivingatveluca1.png
A sudden gust of wind brought with it the stench of smoke and vague corruption under the overpowering scent of fruit and flower as Ogdelbur and his ragtag band passed over the crest of a small hill, and then Ogdelbur saw it - the city of Veluca, and the large host encamped around it. From the heraldry Ogdelbur guessed it was a Sarranid host, though from this distance he could not be sure.

Ogdelbur sighed, and dismounted to drink at a nearby pool that was fed by a picturesque waterfall. It was, Ogdelbur thought as he drank the cool clean water, not entirely a bad thing. If his wife and the traveler were in the city when the siege began, they would have been trapped there, and then it would only be a matter of time before Ogdelbur found and gutted them. There was, of course, still the problem of getting in. Ogdelbur was not affiliated with the Rhodok Kingdom, but it made no sense for the Sarranids to allow even unaffiliated travellers to freely enter and potentially supply the city defenders. Ogdelbur was pondering how best to get into the city when a number of people burst out from behind the little waterfall and into the little pool, fouling the water.

They were initially reluctant to say where they came from, but none of them were armed, and the moment Ogdelbur drew his sword it was pathetic how eagerly they began to spill their beans. It turned out that the fools were city-dwellers in Veluca who were escaping from the siege using an underground tunnel that led straight into the city. Ogdelbur could hardly believe his stroke of luck, and after sending the ertzwhile townsmen on their way and telling his men to make camp there, Ogdelbur leapt through the curtain of water.

++++++++++

Ogdelbur had never been in Veluca before, but by all indications it was unremarkable, though so far unaffected by the siege. Unfortunately, according to the guild master of Veluca, his wife and the merchant had left Veluca for Praven before the siege, a tale corroborated by a few other townsmen and tavern keepers.

arrivingatveluca2alayen.png
Resigned to the fact, Ogdelbur went into a tavern for a drink, only to see Alayen. He was alive and well, if drunk, as he once again mistook Ogdelbur for the tavern keep, which was less forgivable this time around as the tavern keep in that particular establishment was a wench. Nevertheless, he was glad to see Ogdelbur, and offered to rejoin his company. Ogdelbur was only too happy to accept - his men, while enthusiastic fighters, were unsophisticated, and he would need a lieutenant as his little band expanded.

In the tavern he was also approached by a farmer-
farmer0.png

farmer1.png

farmer2.png

farmer3.png
Ogdelbur agreed to help the village, though he gave no guarantees.

Before he departed the city with Alayen, Ogdelbur bought a round shield for himself and had the arms vendor paint it with the horned horse sigil of his clan. The battered old shield he gave to Alayen, who sniffed at the condition of the shield but took it anyway.

++++++++++

After Ogdelbur and Alayen reunited with the men outside Veluca, they marched around Veluca and the Sarranid host to the nearby bandit-infested village of Chaeza. As Ogdelbur appraoched the village, a deputation came out and demanded to know Ogdelbur's intentions. When Ogdelbur told them about the farmer that invited him to free the village from bandits, the deputation protested, explaining that they were merely Rhodok loyalist elders of Chaeza, who had seized power from the previous Sarranid-leaning village elders for the good of the village. At this Ogdelbur's face darkened, and, abruptly riding forward, beheaded the leader of the deputation with a single blow. His men, seeing this, surged forward and killed the rest of the deputation.

villageattack.png

villageattack2.png

villageattack3.png

villageattack4.png

villageattack4.png
The rest of the vilagers, seeing this, took up arms against the loyalist faction, and a battle ensued in the streets of the village. Ogdelbur ordered his men to charge against the loyalists, who due to their small number were quickly overwhelmed. After the battle Ogdelbur demanded that the seven loyalists who surrendered be put to the sword, which the villagers complied, despite being previously inclined to pardoning them. Nevertheless the villagers were very grateful for the help of Ogdelbur and his men, and offered their meager produce to him as tribute. Ogdelbur took it as his just due, pleased that the peasants knew their place.

After this short detour Ogdelbur and his men headed east, into the Culmarr Highlands, one of the few broad valleys that forked away from the lowlands of Veluca. Unlike the lands surrounding Veluca, the Culmarr Highlands were steep and infertile, and there were no orchards or grapevines in sight.

Ogdelbur stumbled upon an interesting sight a couple of hour on the road. There were a row of spikes, with rotting heads mounted atop them. Glancing idly at them, Ogdelbur was startled to realise that he recognised one of the heads. It was hard to tell, but it was the only female head amongst them. The jaw had rotted and fallen off and the nose was a bloody black ruin, but Ogdelbur recognised the Khergit braid and tassles that he had once found so attractive.

Ogdelbur had, at last, found his eloping wife.

Bandits would have usually taken any women they captured back to their sordid lairs, but the unfaithful hag must have been too old and ugly for even that consideration. Ogdelbur was darkly amused by that notion. In a twisted way, he supposed he should thank his wife for her betrayal. Before, he had been a pathetic excuse for a man, living out the remainder of his little life in an inconsequential corner of the world, but her infidelity had torn the veil of complacency from his eyes and made a new man of him.

Ogdelbur had his men pull the stake free from the ground, and he held it high like a proud banner as he led the warband. Alayen curled his lips in distaste when he saw the grisly trophy, but to his credit did not protest.

++++++++++

From the journal of Alayen the Vaegir:

30 March 1257

I can't stand that damned head. It's not that I have no stomach for the dead, and I'll rip out the tongue of any insolent wretch who claims otherwise, but by Ogdelbur's own admission that head used to belong to his wife. Now, a woman has no right messing around behind your back, but now that she's dead you'd think that'd be enough. I always knew my captain had a savage streak in him. Can't blame him, Khergits are a savage race. I just hope he doesn't make a habit of it. I've heard tales of Khergit raiders who carry the heads of slain enemies with them into battle.

We've been chasing a band of mountain bandits up the Culmarr for most of the afternoon. In the meantime we've spotted a few more such roving bands, though they seemed eager to avoid us. I'll bet there's a bandit lair close by, I've seen the same pattern of behaviour in taiga bandits before.

31 March 1257

culmarr.png
I am writing this in Culmarr Castle, where the Lady Adelisa has graciously allowed us sanctuary. Ogdelbur is still unconscious, but the Lady Adelisa's daughter, Calantina, says he will survive. She is, of course, guided by no more than Galen's words, but Galen has always been reliable. For a man of his age Ogdelbur has the constitution of a bull. Of the other men only time will tell.

We finally caught up to the mountain bandits late in the evening yesterday. The battle went well initially. Ogdelbur rode out to distract and scatter the mountain bandits, while I led the men to guard a position on a high ridge. We charged on his command, but these were no looters but hardened fugitives and cutthroats, and when the two sides crashed together our men struggled to hold the line. I killed a number of them myself, as did Ogdelbur, but when Ogdelbur was thrown off his horse the men lost heart and fled the field. I managed to mount his horse and scoop up Ogdelbur in time, but I could have sworn that his horse was going to give in. Luckily the old horse had some grit, and we managed to escape unscathed. Part of it, no doubt, is that the mountain bandits did not seem interested in pursuit, for which we are lucky.
battle1a.png

battle1b.png

battle1c.png

At times like this I wonder if I made the right choice in following Ogdelbur out of Veluca. It's true that my coin was running out, but I had a shot at bedding that merchant's daughter - what was her name? Moira? In any case it seems like I'm honour-bound to follow Ogdelbur for the time being. I hope at least that our fortunes might improve from here.

It can hardly be any worse.

finalconditionblackfish.png

Final Condition
Allegiance:None
Wealth/renown/level/day:214/105/3/9
Party size and composition/Companions:7, low level infantry, horseman/Alayen
Combat inclinations:1h weapons
Save File:MegaUpload
Character or save notes:Not much, didn't level up or anything, just bought him a better shield, and found Alayen. If anyone doesn't like MU, I'll upload it somewhere else, like MediaFire.
Author's Notes:I actually did not expect to play only four days, but it seemed like too logical a stopping point to pass up. And, turns out that's a good thing, or this thing would have been even longer. :/ I've left the wife dead but fate of the travelling merchant unknown, so the next player can pursue that, or do his/her own thing. Sorry for the wall of text.

EDIT: modified chapter naming to fit in with numbering scheme.

Blackfish said:
I really enjoyed doing this by the way. I'm looking forward to having a go at it again once someone else plays a bit more.
I'm actually going to have another go or three: one to take the story a different direction that you did just to show how this thing can branch off and grow, another to add to yours, and possibly a third to port him into another mod, something very, very different, maybe with guns. However, all of these will be short just to let the kiddies know that such is an acceptable option.

I think people have gotten the wrong idea because of my large start and your huge contribution. Did you see the thread that inspired me to this? I intended for this to be that same idea but with the option to add some story or at the very least a few words about what the player had been doing with the character.

Also, I'm considering starting a Nord footman in the Floris Expanded Mod Pack I am running with a whole new thread and his purpose in life to be the unofficial champion of the Nord race, perhaps even champion for the king himself. Somewhat less character than Og so perhaps easier for others with less writing interest to participate.

Chapter 2B

It was Ogdelbur's firm intent to become a rich and feared warlord. It did not matter much to him whom he served in the process so long as he could one day find himself in comfort with the option to leave and bring destruction or stay and help himself to some young lass. With no political preference but a slight interest in seeing the pine forests of the northern shore, Ogdelbur decided to seek opportunity in the Vaegir territories. Just over a month of work there brought him greater wealth than he or his father had ever had and some countless many steps closer to his goals.

2011040900004k.jpg

2011040900006.jpg

2011040900008.jpg

2011040900009.jpg

Barely survived gathering taxes...
2011040900010.jpg

... taxes that were immediately spent on new armor :grin:
2011040900011.jpg

Victory - no matter the cost.
2011040900012.jpg

2011040900013.jpg

2011040900017.jpg

Dirty deeds: done for pleasure and pay.
2011040900019.jpg

The height of power so far.
2011040900020.jpg

The reason Ogdelbur lost 12 men to rear-guard actions: 78 sea raiders.
2011041000001y.jpg

Final Condition
Allegiance:Vaegir Mercenary
Wealth/renown/level/day:14,197/146/10/40
Party size and composition/Companions:35, medium infantry and archers, recruits, Artimenner, Rolf, Baheshtur, Alayan
Combat inclinations:1h weapons (mounted when the charger heals)
Save File: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ELG2YEK2
Character or save notes:The companion build I was heading Og for is Jeremus (wound treatment, surgery, first aid, engineering), Borcha (tracking, tactics, pathfinding, spotting) Firentis (looting), Rolf (trade), Ymira, Alayan, Artimenner, Baheshtur, Lezalit. These last 5 are set-up as warriors with training skill, everyone gets 4 riding skill and 10 strength. This build ignores predispositions toward certain skills and instead looks at the base attributes to determine the best person for the job, who already has a head-start in some direction. Also, it keeps bickering to a minimum. Some might have conflicts but no one should have 2 people they don't like. Also, the intelligence-based party skills have been divided up amongst 2 characters instead of 4 so only those two have to have their intelligence upgraded beyond that needed for the desired training level. However, if this doesn't suit the tastes of the next player, Klethi and Deshavi are in Sargoth. Also, the horse dropped dead before the lame charger in the inventory could heal. Shouldn't be long now before he's mounted again.
Author's Notes: It was hard for me to fight my instincts to write about every little thing but I'm trying to show that contributions can be way more playing than writing. Apparently I made up for it describing the companion plan.

Chapter 3B

Ogdelbur joined the tournament in sargoth and lasted two rounds before being beaten when ganged up on by four enemies in the third round. He then left Sargoth in anger and went back to vaegir territories to find some bandits to kill.

Boyar Mleza was spotted with only 5 men remaining fighting some 60 taiga and sea bandits, Ogdelbur saw a perfect oppurtunity to gain some reputation and become friends with Mleza. Tragedy struck though as Ogdelbur was defeated and carried off in chains when only 8 taiga bandits were left. Almost instantly he escaped with only his equipment 11000 denars and some food.

Quickly Ogdelbur fled towards Reyvadin and away from this bandit rich area. Upon reaching Reyvadin he had gathered a few recruits and seeing a new tournament signed up only to be taken out by a double couched lance attack by two enemies. Gathered some 15 recruits and decided to try and loot the khergit village of bhulaban to release anger. Peasants were suprisingly resilient and managed to drive Ogdelbur off.

He then went and recruited some more men and went to the nearby training grounds, unfortunately attacked by bandits on the way and had to sacrifice 3 men to escape. Arrived at training grounds where he whipped his men into shape and also came up with some ideas for training in the field so he would not have to come back here to train his men outside of battles.

Saw Boyar Harish traveling and followed him to Jerlibe castle where there was a feast going on and gave him his tax money. Then returned to Reyvadin where he discovered Rolf and welcomed him back into his party with the warning not to abandon him again.

Headed to Bhulaban again and past sungetche castle and fought some bandits, then chased bhulabans villagers towards Khudan where Boyar vuldrat helped corner and defeat them. Afterwards offered to help Vuldrat with his bandit problem. Then went looking for hideout.

Hideout was found and attacked where the bandits were destroyed down to the last man and the hideout burned down. Now part of his vengeance on the bandits who defeated him was complete, now only the sea raiders remained. Then headed back to Khudan to see if Vuldrat was there to report to him. Upon arriving at Khudan recieved message from the marshall calling Ogdelbur to report in and bring troops with him.

Final condition
Allegiance:                        Vaegir mercenary
Wealth/renown/level/day: 8161/167/12/51
fiefs:                                none
Party size and                    21, variety of vaegir troops, Rolf
compostion/companions:
Combat inclinations:          1 handed, mounted
Save file:                          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HLPRLDFB
Authors notes:                  been looking for companions havent seen any besides rolf since I lost the others

Fierkraag said:
Hideout was found and attacked where the bandits were destroyed down to the last man and the hideout burned down. Now part of his vengeance on the bandits who defeated him was complete, now only the sea raiders remained. Then headed back to Khudan to see if Vuldrat was there to report to him. Upon arriving at Khudan recieved message from the marshall calling Ogdelbur to report in and bring troops with him.
Nice.  :grin: A solid ending. +1 for you sir.

Edit: I want to import/recreate if neccessary, Ogdelbur in a completed mod that is drastically different from Native, preferably something with firearms. Suggestions?

You could try Blood & Steel, although you'd probably need to to edit the stats a bit since the latest version has a totally rebuilt combat system.

This is looking fascinating, I might jump in with something of my own at some point, maybe have him take a trip to Pendor even.

WuTaNiSt said:
You could try Blood & Steel, although you'd probably need to to edit the stats a bit since the latest version has a totally rebuilt combat system.

This is looking fascinating, I might jump in with something of my own at some point, maybe have him take a trip to Pendor even.
Please do jump in! Ogdelbur and the angry cruelty central to him can easily be translated into many different settings but the paths he takes to satisfaction could all be quite different.
Blackfish said:
Nice!

Ogrecorps: How about Brytenwalda? I've heard that it's good, but I'm not sure how Ogdelbur will fit into the setting.
That one is on the list. At present I've yet to try the 1755 Old Frontier mod I DL'd earlier.

Back
Top Bottom