Users who are viewing this thread

Basic principles of using weather in scenes

We have different things to change the overall weather situation in a scene:
- set_fog_distance   
- set_rain
- scene_set_day_time
- set_global_cloud_amount

(set_rain,<rain-type>,<rain-strenght>),
set_rain needs to be always called before a mission gets started and cant be changed during a mission.
Rain type will determine wether its snow or rain (2 for snow, 1 for rain)
Rain strenght will determine how "much" it rains...
A simple example how to use it in a generic trigger would be this:
abhuva_rain = (ti_before_mission_start,0,0,[],[
  (store_random_in_range,":rain_yesno",1,101),  ## this will output a random number between 1 and 100
  (try_begin),
        (ge, ":rain_yesno",50),      ## we have a 50% change that it will be raining or not
(party_get_current_terrain, ":terrain_type", "p_main_party"),
        (store_random_in_range,":rain_strength",1,101),  ## this will output a random number between 1 and 100
(try_begin),
(eq, ":terrain_type", rt_snow),
(set_rain,2,":rain_strength"),
(else_try),
(set_rain,1,":rain_strength"),
(try_end),
  (try_end),
])

(scene_set_day_time,<time of day>),
This is a indirect command, basicly the time of day will determine what type of skybox will be used. We cant choose a specific skybox, the game is hardcoded to choose from the existing ones randomly if they fit specific settings.
scene_set_day_time is pretty straigthforward to use, note that it also needs to be set before the mission starts and cant be changed during a mission:
(ti_before_mission_start, 0, 0, [],
      [
        (scene_set_day_time, 13),  ## sets time of day to 1 pm
        ]),

Now that we could choose between a night/dawn/day skybox, how can we further specify if its cloudy or not? Here comes the command (set_global_cloud_amount,<strenght>) into play.
The higher the strenght the more likely it is that the game will choose a cloudy version of the skybox. (i am not sure about exact values, this would need extensive testings as its hardcoded and cant be looked at easy)
      [
        (set_global_cloud_amount, 100),  ## sets cloud amount to very very cloudy
        ]),

Lastly we have set_fog_distance.
(set_fog_distance,<distance>,<color in hex code>),
This is the only command we can dynamical change during a mission.
The distance is distance in meters. Note that anything below 20 is way too foggy imo, something like 550-800 is good for a little bit haze at sunny days, anything over 1500 seems to have nearly no fog/haze at all (its there but barely visible).
The color needs to be coded in the following way:
0xAARRGGBB  --> A is alpha value, not used for fog and should be set to FF
--> R,G and B are Red, Green and Blue values of the color.
for example: 0xFF0000FF would be totally blue fog.

abhu_fog = (0,0,ti_once, [],
[
(set_fog_distance,50,0xFFB3B3AC),
]

One last example to show this all together: we want a cloudy scene at dawn, with mid-range fog and slightly raining:
      [
          (scene_set_day_time, 6), 
          (set_global_cloud_amount, 100),
          (set_rain,1,30),
        ]),
(0,0,ti_once, [],
[
(set_fog_distance,250,0xFFB3B3AC),
]

:grin: most script examples are made-up as i wrote this, to script your own weather setup this should give you the basics.

OrangeKnight said:
Um i couldnt find the download links for any of the maps, do you know were i could find them?
Hello are there any downloads for any of the maps hopefully build for MP

Adorno said:
The scenes shown in first post are for various mods.
I don't think Nordous meant for it to be a place to download scenes.
Yes but it shows some OSP one's and i was hoping to be able to download those!

Sirdur13 said:
Er... how can I rename my map? :???:
In multiplayer?
Go to strings.txt and locate the current name of the map you have changed ie "ruins"
str_multi_scene_1 Ruins
and rename it to whatever you wish, make sure spacing is instead replaced with an underscore "_"

Crossbow Joe said:
Sirdur13 said:
Er... how can I rename my map? :???:
In multiplayer?
Go to strings.txt and locate the current name of the map you have changed ie "ruins"
str_multi_scene_1 Ruins
and rename it to whatever you wish, make sure spacing is instead replaced with an underscore "_"

Alright thanks, I was making it for with fire and sword a little different, but not much.  Now I can continue my map making!  :razz:

And another scene from me... It's a town center scene.
119118946-4.jpg

119118956-4.jpg

119118966-4.jpg

Though I need to add details.

Hi, we are currently reworking on M&G and we have couple gaullic maps / republic war maps ready for first release, but would someone be interested working on Battle of Alesia (Siege) map, I have couple maps/reference photos wich may help?

:grin: Not the usual way to show off scenes, but anyway - have fun watching...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sANtCoRzeR8

(dont mind all the text, its a preview video with some lore for PoP4.0 - but its a nice overview of one of the latest scenes i did)

Abhuva said:

(dont mind all the text, its a preview video with some lore for PoP4.0 - but its a nice overview of one of the latest scenes i did)
Brilliant scene

Abhuva said:

Wow, great work, great video. The symetrical features make it easier for the AI mesh, don't they? Smart and efficient. :smile:
Magnificent, anyway. I never played POP until now, but I do want to get it, now.

And, oh! How did you get these moving bushes? They're like, magically waving in the wind, it's awesome.

Lord Samuel said:
Wow, great work, great video. The symetrical features make it easier for the AI mesh, don't they? Smart and efficient. :smile:
Magnificent, anyway. I never played POP until now, but I do want to get it, now.

And, oh! How did you get these moving bushes? They're like, magically waving in the wind, it's awesome.

Thanks =)
To answer some questions:
The design was researched/based on original roman fortifications - they are all layed out exactly in this kind of pattern to make it easy for soldiers to navigate in a new camp.
It doesnt make it much easier / harder to do the AI-meshes... I took care that every street got his AI-mesh seperate so bots didnt run across the bushes etc...

The moving flora is done with a custom made HLSL vertex shader. (Remember, TW provided us with the shader files).
The contrast on the colors / darker tone is achieved with using different postfx settings (mainly using another tonemapping technique than what native-warband uses, and tweaking the settings)

Video is captured mainly ingame (with the movie like setup and text) using a cut-scene setup with scripted camera movements, fade-out/fade-ins, black border overlay to achieve the 16:9 movie look.

Back
Top Bottom