A Prophesy of Pendor guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Submortal

Regular
I have played this mod countles hours now and suddenly the idea of writing a small guide struck me so here it goes :smile:
I am sorry for any mistyping and grammar errors in my english as it is not my native language and my keyboard is set up for gaming so it does not have the typical letters often used in different languages.

Part 1: Character creation

There are many ways to play this mod and some might be better than others but i will explain how i build for lategame and explain how some of the skills work.

when it comes to the part where you choose your background story it really does not matter that much but you should go for being a noble and a merchant if you have the patience to have a relaxed early game.

Stats
Strenght: Strenght increases your health with 1 point for every point spent in this attribute and is required for power draw, power strike and power throw starting with 9 points in strenght is enough as you can get 3 points into powerdraw if you are the archertype and it will let you use some better bows earlier on since you are pretty much stuck with a hunting bow or a simple short bow if you have only 1 or 2 points in power draw.

Agility: Agility is required for weapon mastery, riding, shield, athletic, looting and horse archery.
of these skills i suggest you put 3 points in riding and later on as you level up you can put some more points into horse archery. leave the others at 0 as you dont really benefit that much of them.

Intelligence: Int is the attribute that is probably most tempting to pick as it gives you 1 extra skill point per attribute point and i often find myself focusing on int to get as high training and pathfinding skill as possible.
I reccomend that you focus this attribute and level up training and pathfinding as they are the 2 skills that really makes a difference late game.

Charisma: Charisma increases your party size by 2 for every point spent in this attribute and it does make a difference lategame when you have like 30+.
It also governs the skill trading, prison management, leadership and persuasion.
12 would be a nice start as it gives you 4 leadership and persuasion, trading should be something like 5 or 7 if you picked merchant options on the background check.

Skills

I will explain some of the skills i use a lot on my own char or leaving for my companions, you can also check http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Skills for more information about skills.

Ironflesh: Really makes a difference but is only a skill i level up when i have no other skills to focus on but if you are the tournament type then i strongly reccoment you put some points in it as it can change the outcome in tournaments PoP and save you for at least 10 attempts if you are of the ones that save and try over and over again everytime there is a tournament.

Power strike: Every point in power strike increases your damage with melee weapons by 8%. pretty simple actualy and is not a prerequisite to use any weapons i know of so only spend points in this if you are going for a pure melee character.

Power throw: i cant belive anyone would ever want to use throwing weapons over bows but if there are some then they already know more than me about it so this field i just leave alone

Power draw: power draw is the important skill if you want to go for bows as its required for about every bow ingame and the better bows are available at 7+ so this is where i focus. the ruby rune bow requires 7.
Another thing about power draw is that every point in it increases your damage with a bow by 12% but it depends on the PD required by the bow. If you have a bow that requires 2 points in powerdraw you can only benefit of a maximum of 6 points in powerdraw as only 4 points above the bow level are counted. a bow that requires 2 PD will give you a maximum of 72% no matter if you have more than 6 points in powerdraw. but a bow that requires 6 PD can benefit of 10 points in powerdraw and give you a full 122% bonus to damage

Riding: This skill increases the speed of your horse and its ability to turn but the main reason you want this upgraded to 5-7 late game is because of the noldor horses that are no doubt the best ingame.

Looting: I usualy let one companion focus on agility and looting to make more money as it (as far as i know and have experienced) increases not the amount of loot but the quality of the loot that drops.

Trainer: This is one of the most important skills for the maincharacter as you will be the one most likely to get above level 40 then  be able to train those lvl 40 troops to their next tier. Adventurers to Hero adventurers and such. it is also a pretty nice skill to have at lvl 3-4 at the beginning as the few troops you start with can much more quickly become used for battle instead of just having them running around as bait while you snipe the enemies down.
Lategame you will have this at lvl 10 and along with some companions you can very quickly train a full army of recruits into a army of top tier troops.
It says leader skill but every troop benefits from the training skill of both you and the companions(as long as you or the companions have higher level than the tropps that will be trained)

Pathfinding: I try max this on my own character as well as regularily upgrading it on some of the companions it really makes a big difference on the travelspeed on the map and lategame it will be the difference between 2.0 and 5.8 runspeed with a 450 size army.

Inventory management: important skill as you get much more space to pick up loot and store goods for trading, every point increases inventory space by 6

Wound treatment: This skill heals the party while you are traveling or camping at the map and its enough having one companion level this up.

Surgery: This is a important skill for the lategame. i usualy leave it to 2 companions to level it up and end up having a 10-15% death ratio lategame and that really makes a difference when you are on a campaign and have your own kingdom. focus this along with a companion

First aid: have 1 companion focus this as it increases the hp you regain between every combat stage(large battles, sieges and such that are played over several stages)

Persuasion: Persuasion is used to persuade lords to join your kingdom and to prevent companions from leaving so this is a must have skill.

Prisoner management: Put 3-4 points into this that should be more than enough for the entire game as its relatively easy to sell prisoners in PoP.

Leadership: The most important skill and the one you should be focusing on as it increases the party size by 10 for every point spent and also has a huge impact on the morale of your troops. Lategame you can have about 240 troops with only 1 food type if you got rank 10 leadership without having your troops going low on morale.

Trade: Gives you a lot more for selling items and giving you a discount when buying items. a very nice skill to have to make money lategame

This should give you an idea how the major skills work and wich ones to focus on but there are also some skills that a completly useless weapon mastery being 1 of them, the only thing it does is increasing the rate you gain weapon proficiency and increasing the maximum limit you can spend wepon proficiency points on a weapon skill. But there will be hundreds of battles and you will have no problem at all leveling weapon proficiencies without this skill

Playing the game!

I will spend a lot of time writing this guide and it does not really matter if anyone ever reads it but i hope maybe a couple of newbies read it and get a better understanding of the game :p
I will update it with more info as i play and come up with additional ideas as they pop up :smile:

Also i would like to remind you this is the way to game for lategame and having a stable economy wich allows you to support large armies and in general just be a good commander.

I start of by doing the starting quest to save the brother/daughter of a merchant and from there i spend hours trading and fighting some lesser bands of robbers and such for xp.

Trading: i spend a lot of time trading as it is a great way of making huge profits early game and i dont think you can make more any other way.
Goods that you should focus are Iron from sarendal or whatever the name of the ravenstern city was as you often can get it from below 100 and up to a 150 and then sell in most other towns for 300+ each so you can easily make some quick denars here as it can be sold in the nearby ravenstern towns for full profit most of the time.
Salt from singal to sarleon is another quick trade route that quickly increases your account, and there are also a couple other dshar towns that can have extremly cheap salt (ive seen it once being sold for 36 denars) that can be sold for 300+ in most cities on the map.
Savikholm often has Flax that can be sold ad avendor with a profit of 250 each and that can give you a quick 3-5k profit depending on the amount of flax available. (current game i am at day 114 and still level 1 :p)

I spend entire early game trading around and building enterprises in all towns wich gives me a steady income of 400-700 denars from every town on the map and i think there are something like 17 towns total so that alone would pay for a good midgame army of 200+

Another thing i will mention is that every time you visit a town, speak to everybody (tavern keepers, slavers, travellers) as they can start events that spawn on the map, and often the slavers can give you a real bargain for some good troops. ( would you say no to a knight of the dawn for 500 denars?) and the travelers can give you treasure maps to chests in towns that often contain loot that can be sold for several thousands (ive once earned 17k on a map that i paid 200 denars for). and also there is a chance you get a map to a outdoor red brotherhood treasure site that has a qualis gem for you the first time you get it and thats priceless :smile:
So try to remember that everytime you are in a town as it can boost your economy or army but quite a lot :smile: it only costs 10 denars everytime you ask :smile:

Also ive read on other forums that having horses in your inventory makes you travel faster on the outdoor map with heavy goods in your inventory but that is not something i can confirm.

Companions: i try to gather all companions i can have without having them fighting eachother and i usualy start of by recruiting Lethaldiran wich is a noldor guy at level 45 and early game he really makes a difference by killing half the enemy forces before they even reach your group. he is also quite a warbeast in closecombat and no doubt the best pure fighter of all the companions.

I get ansen as the int type companion and focus int only on him skilling surgery, first aid and wound treatment, also some points in training whenever possible.

you should check out http://popmod.wetpaint.com/page/The+Companion+Bubble to check with heroes that goes along and wich ones that most likely will cause quite a mess in your army. i usualy start of by getting lethaldiran and then pick every second hero away from him and getting ansen and sir rayne from the small circle.

Mid game: Now is perhaps the time to move on to the mid game where you should now have a good economy and a stable income from enterprises and its a good time to choose a faction to join and my advice is to go either empire or ravenstern as they have pretty safe towns and castles (ravenstern only has 1 other faction at its border).

So you now start fighting other factions and you should always follow your Marshal whenever he asks for you and do any other quests he gives you to gain a small relation increase with him.

Capturing Lords: Whenever you fight other lords you may have a chance to capture him and its very tempting to take him prisoner and ransom him for a 4-15k denars but really it pays of much more if you let him go instead as it gives you better relations with the lords you capture and you also get 3 honor for each lord you let go. and honor is important because as it increases it decreases the prestige cost of honor troops that you will no doubt be getting a lot of lategame.
It also increases the relation with other honorable lords so that when you get like 300+ honor your friendlist suddenly contains half the lords on the map because you have let every lord free after battle they are all most likely at 100 relation when you reach lategame.

So you should just be patient and keep fighting lords and releasing them to build honor and relations. the more time you spend easier it will be late game when you start your own kingdom. ( persuading lords with 100 relation to join your kingdom really is nice as lords with 100 relation to you always stay at 100 wether they get fiefs or not or lose battles)

you should try to get town before you get a castle so just say no to any castles that you might be rewarded from your king in order to have the chance of getting a town later on. once you have a town you can start thinking of declaring pendor and go rogue king.

you should have easily have a army of 250 top tier tropps at the end of mid game and that will allow you to siege weak castles that might have just been taken from your own faction completly on your own since they usualy only have like 100 garrisoned troops to defend. and from there its easy to declare pendor.

Late game!

At this point you would want to declare independent and start your own kingdom and if you have spent enough time battling lords in the mid game you should have no problems persuading some lords since most of the lords you have fought now have a max relation to you.

ONLY recruit lords that have maximum relation to join your kingdom as you wont have to worry about their relation to you dropping over time due to not getting fiefs or they are losing battles.
If you have followed my setup of companions you should now go search for Sir Roland in a tavern and recruiti him to your party, then make sure you have max happiness in your army so that he have a 100 relation to you then you give him a fief and he becomes a very strong lord for you that will always be happy with you.

This is the result of having high honor and letting enemy lords go after you defeat them in battle and it really makes the late game a lot easier.

It can be tempting to recruit any lord that wants to join your empire but i highly reccomend that you only recruit those that have a max relation to you and instead focus on having few lords and give the strongest of them most of the castles and other fiefs you capture so that they can easily support armies that have like 200-400 troops.

Whenever your faction is at peace with the other factions you should take advantage of it to do some trading and filling up your vault so that you have some reserves for the next war that no doubt is just around the corner. and also you should try to upgrade your honor troop quality as much as you can afford to make them really dominate the battlefields.

When it comes to selecting a marshall you should just leave it alone during periods of peace and instead making yourself marshall whenever you plan to go on the offensive in a war, do not make any of your lords a marshal as the ai tend to be rather dumb at making decisions and very often they initiate sieges only to abandon it as soon as someone is laying waste to a fief on the other side of the map.( this happens pretty much all the time) so it is better to be the marshal yourself and do the sieges having no concerns about the villages(really, why bother with a village when you can go totaly on a rampage and take a town and a couple of castles before ending your campaign?)

I think that sums up what i have had on my mind so far but i will edit and update it when i get some more spare time and hopefully this can turn out to be a easy to understand and read guide.

-Reserved-

Keep in mind this is intended of players that are new to the mod and maybe even players new to the mount and blade game itself although it may have some information that is new to more experienced players as well.

If you have something you would like to share you can feel free to post :smile:

Coming withing a few days a section about how to befriend the noldors and some information about the various achievements that can be earned and combat in general

It's nice but somewhat relative:grin:
A few examples, some lords if you free them when you meet them again your relation will drop dramaticly, i suspect that some strong lords are like this.
Declaring a kingdom in late game can be a pain since it's easier to destroy a faction with 2 towns that a powerhorse fierdsvain with 6 towns and a 6 towns ravenstern.
Raversten may be well defented but it's really hard to go in a campaign since it's so far from the other towns.
Big armies made from 250 soldier are very bad, the looting systems gives you more items and better ones if you use smaller armies like 100 soldiers against biger armies.
To pay 250 men is pretty expensive. To buy enterprises in every town is also somewhat bad since most factions will declare war on you and they will sechestrate them.
Also when declaring the kingdom of Pendor you will loose all fiefs so you will only have your army.
Like Einstein said, it is all relative:grin:
Some players may prefer different play styles. I upgrade my companion's surgery and training in mid game only because i do just fine with my skills and use them to do some nice battles.
Money is always a problem and a town needs at least 500 strong men not to get attacked...but even then if you get visited by 2000 men....run:grin:
Other than that it is very good:grin:

You can add this to your section on Powerthrow: Throwing weapons are useful because they only take up one equipment slot. Therefore, if you are playing a cavalry character you can have a Shield, lance, another weapon for very close quarters and a throwing weapon for ranged on top of that.  Whereas with a bow or crossbow your need to also carry ammunition meaning that you can have a shield and either a lance which is useless if you get unhorsed, or a close-in weapon which is crap against cavalry in the open.

Also, I'm not sure about your Powerdraw description something seems wrong; I dont think that having a higher PD requirement bow will let you use more PD skill for damage bonus.

mr48 said:
Also, I'm not sure about your Powerdraw description something seems wrong; I dont think that having a higher PD requirement bow will let you use more PD skill for damage bonus.
It does, nothing wrong there

My humble contribution, an updated info of the post about Rune weapons
Axe (it's one-handed)
Requires 15 Strength
55c swing / 20p thrust
98 speed
105 reach
Bonus vs. shields (it's an axe!)
IF SAPPHIRE: 130 speed
IF RUBY: 65p / 20p
IF EMERALD: 55c / 30p / 105 speed

Sword
Requires 15 Strength
45c swing / 24p thrust
98 speed
93 reach
IF SAPPHIRE: 138 speed
IF RUBY: 55p / 24p
IF EMERALD: 55c / 29p / 108 speed

Two Handed Sword
Requires 18 Strength
65c swing / 38p thrust
95 speed
158 reach

IF SAPPHIRE: 135 speed
IF RUBY: 75p / 46p
IF EMERALD: 75c / 42p / 105 speed

Glaive
Requires 15 Strength, polearm, no shield
52c swing / 23p thrust
83 speed
244 reach
IF SAPPHIRE: 123 speed
IF RUBY: 62p / 43p
IF EMERALD: 62c / 33p / 103 speed

Bow
Requires 7 Power Draw, you CAN use it on horseback
38p
92 accuracy
94 speed

IF SAPPHIRE: 36p (yes, 2 less) / 99 accuracy / 124 speed
IF RUBY: 50p
IF EMERALD: 42p / 95 accuracy / 100 speed

I'd say ruby is clearly the best option except for the bow, where is a matter of choice. Ruby will allow you to 1-shot kill most enemies and horses with headshots, but even with power draw 10 and about 400 proficiency is hard to aim to far targets. Sapphire means easier to headshot and speed, awesome for sniping in sieges, but damage is quite low for that price. Emerald gives you a decent balance.

The best melee weapon of the bunch IMO is the Ruby Two Handed Sword.  75p is insane, even for an uber-weapon like this. Once you reach power strike 10 only demons will survive more than 1 hit (if attacked properly)

The axe and sword have same speed, and while the axe has a bit more of reach and more swing damage, the sword only has a bit more of damage for thrust.

I'd love it if you'd make a faction guide as well as this; as a previous poster has already stated, the one on the wiki is really outdated...

I am sorry for the lack of updates on this page as i have been busy working most of the time and havent had time to play in a couple months. but i got holiday soon and plan on doing some work on it then. i have not yet played all the factions but i can perhaps come up with a faction guide soon with some help from a couple of friends that have played most factions a lot more than me :smile:

I could really use some endgame advice :razz:

as in.... i've completed all the victory conditions, but i don't get a message saying i won :sad: i've waited for 4 ingame months now....
Anyone know what causes this?

Enemy lords hiding or captured i think, i am not sure but i found an enemy lord even after i captured all their castles and towns. He was just siting on the map, maybe you could check all the lords on notes to see

Yes there are indeed 2 lords still loyal to the Kingdom of Ravenstern, eventhough i still have unassigned fiefs they wont come groveling to me. Guess i'll just wait and see if i can find them.

and ofcourse all the kings and one of the lords (who got indicted for treason by all 6 factions XD) have left the realm

Don't get me wrong bro, but the FAQ and the likes are way better and much more elaborated on.
Maybe do a summary of this: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148767.msg3579618.html#msg3579618

What I usually do when I am in powergaming mode:

1. arena fight (the 'last man standing' brawl) until I have 4-5000 gold, after buying a good horse and some kind of lance

2A. tournament whoring
2B. manufacturies into all cities!
2C. gather your planned companions
do this until have the wanted amount of manufacturies, and the wanted level companions

3. hire about 50-60 recruits, who can become good archers, and train them up to top tier.
3A. check the area what you want to conquer, and make friends with lord holding cities
3B. when you have city-holder friends, attack the faction, and capture a castle (siege ladder type - with 50-60 elite archers and your companions it is easy)
4. when you are a king, start recruiting the lords who are already your friends into your kingdom (you want the city garrisons to serve you, not to fight against you when you siege)
5. lords who refurse to join are soon to be defeated and their fiefs taken (with elite archers it is easy. sometimes I defeat them a few times and let them go, and try to recruit them with higher relation)
6. when the kingdom is defeated, I keep the former capital and it's villages for myself, random castles are distributed among friendly lords, there is no peace, just total annihilation of the enemy kingdom.

Now, I have some free time until your lords fill their new belongings, and their army with soldiers. I hunt down unique spawns, when the lords are ready (they start listening to orders), I choose a next target (a kingdom in war, bordering me) and crush them. Repeat until you are the last one standing.

Regarding the choices during character creation. Each choice give you specific stat and skill points. Some choices give you more stat points than others, so that there is one or two best combinations, that give you advantage equal to 4-5 levels. Here is what I believe is the best combination of choices:
- A banished chieftain's son from the D'Shar Steppes (6 stat points)
- put you in the care of a successful merchant (3 SP)
- bard (3 SP)
- wanderlust (2 SP)
This way you will have the most stat points possible. They may not be distributed in the way you wish, but it does not matter much, as you compensate in the first 5 levels or so. Other nice thing is Path-finding 5!!!! :smile:

In the prophecy of pendor wiki there is more info on the stills and stats, that the choices give.

Hello all,

Was this document not included in the download?

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3161

I do not want to deflate your ambition here, but this should have been in the download of your mod.  I see that  it has not been properly referenced in the download page.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Saxondragon

Both of those guides should be stickied on main page..as they're effectively lost otherwise.

EDIT: oops  :oops: found it's already stickied in Master Compilation Thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,197671.0.html
Problem is, the guide's not threaded, but needs to be d/l'd.

im not sure what the 2 last posts are about. document in a download? mod reference?

For anyone else. i got quite a txt file to add to this topic sooner or later ^^ ive just started a new game with the very last version and will have to adjust it a bit with the patch changes and so on :=) got a 4 week vacation now and its all reserved Prophesy of Pendor :smile:

Back
Top Bottom