SP Tutorial World Map How to make Campaign Maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for answer. I have another problem :smile:. Is there a option to get all lands highter than sea by cliking one button or I have to do it all manualy too?

Ok,can somebody please direct me to a thread or a download thread or a tutorial thread...on how to edit campaign maps in WARBAND?
i've been searching all morning and couldnt find a thing :sad:

This thread is tutorial check first post. There is no tutorial for warband u need to copy map.txt, parties.txt ... to mount and blade (1) and edit with thorgrim's map editor

I am having trouble importing my maps into Thorgrim's Map Editor following this tutorial.

I can create both color and heightmaps by hand which load import without a hitch.  However, when I crop a selection from the topographic map and follow all the steps, neither map will load. I suspect (at least for the color map) the problem may be that there is one pixel somewhere that is just barely off of the color scheme Thorgrim's Map Editor can read. Indeed, that was my problem initially, and I noticed that trying to fix it with the paintbucket tool in GIMP only exasperates the problem, as other isolated pixels are changed to a shade between blue and green. However, even after tracing over the border on the ocean and grass side with the pencil tool, still my map would not load.

Below is the color map I am trying to import, for reference. Perhaps you can look it over and spot something obvious I am missing (though uploading it may have caused color degradation, so I won't get my hopes up). Any and all help is appreciated. I tried and failed to follow the original Hulugu Khan tutorial and now, years later, I still cannot figure out the problem.

sardinia3-c.jpg

I tried tracing the map again and got it to work (praise the Gods!). Unfortunately, I did not include enough ocean, so bits of Sardinia are outside of the red zone,meaning I have to redraw the map (grrr).  I wish I knew how large the red box was in pixels, compared to the 300x400 map. 

Still no progress on the height-map.  You can see it below. Again, any advice you can offer is more than welcome.

sardinia5.jpg

EDIT: Got Sardinia to fit in the red box on my second try (barely)! Now for the heightmap.  Hrrrm....

I know this is an old thread and all but I don't understand how I'm supposed to create a heightmap.
Here is what I have so far after desaturating.
failheightmap.png

I'm sorry but, what version of GIMP is being used in the OP? Anyone know? The color select tool will not work for me in the most recent version.

For all those who are interested in how big the red box is: 150 x 200 worked for me. Anything bigger than that is out of the red box.

But I have a problem myself:
How can I increase the height of ocean terrain in the MapEditor? Or is this not necessary?

Kind regards,
G

Hey Guys,

Maybe that tut's not such noob proof :smile:

Demonwolf wrote: For the second map, change the land into a uniform color.

If I have a landscape consisting of mountains, blabla (3 different colors) and terrain (1 colors) and the ocean (1 color),
how do i transform these 3 different to match the main color of the terrain, so i can end up having 2 color map?

Additionally;
If i'd just drew a map, wouldn't it be the same result? (beside the inverted one)?
thanks.

Elorin said:
Hey Guys,

Maybe that tut's not such noob proof :smile:

Demonwolf wrote: For the second map, change the land into a uniform color.

If I have a landscape consisting of mountains, blabla (3 different colors) and terrain (1 colors) and the ocean (1 color),
how do i transform these 3 different to match the main color of the terrain, so i can end up having 2 color map?

Additionally;
If i'd just drew a map, wouldn't it be the same result? (beside the inverted one)?
thanks.
I used GIMP for that. You have tool which select same colors on map and then u just turn them to that uniform color, then u select next color... do that 10 or 20 more times and its finished

Sorry, still didn't get it.
I've used the Fuzzy select tool to choose, but there are too many pixels there that I need to touch.
I thought it meant some easier way, or something i'm not aware of.

For another question: about the invert: the 4th spoiler has a missing image so I can't understand what Demonwolf meant exacly.
1st step was "desaturate". Each of it makes the map grayscale but still bright.
2nd step was "value invert", but this works automatically and the only thing inverted is my water to black and the land - still not as his example on the 5th spoiler (all the land is dark beside the mountains).
How do I get to that result? That's holding me back now.

Would appreciate an explenation here.
Thanks alot!

I don't know easier way :sad: on end I did it pixel by pixel :grin: and I think you wont have good result if you make height map like spoiler 5 then you will have most of map straight. I think this is how picture from spoiler 4 needs to look its before value invert
21niqnq.jpg
and I have pretty good result but I think Demonwolf didn't turn just water to white color he did same with lower ground so on end he had 4/5 of map with black color. I am sorry if u can't understand me but my English sucks :sad:

I actually understand you better than you think, and my english is not so great as it is :grin:
Thank you very much for the effort.

I also found a nice solution, and I have a problem (problem described after the astrix (***) part below):

I've actually used another method i tried:
First, pick a color with the dropper.
Then, select the area (even most of the map, but try circle a water-land area for start).
Next, go to Colors - map - Color exchange. The color you have from the dropper appears on the left, so set the color you want to achieve in the right.
Now, on the left check "lock thresholds", and tweak around with the colors. start with the threshold bars, adjust with the others.

It was a quicker way, since the threshold controls the "aggressiveness" of the similar colors.
I must add it was about 90% accurate, so it pretty much did the job.
(problem is, i couldn't find ANY other way to do the opposite with the ground & mountains.)

In any case, eventually i gave up and did the following: after having most of the lakes's radius colored blue, i've done the following:
Opened the map_pallette file with gimp, opened a new file, chose the ground color with the dropper and filled the new map with it.
Then, I used Select - By color and copied all the "shapes" of the lakes to the new file, and then filled them with the ocean color pallete.
So what I got is: the 2 color map eventually. which btw works ok.

That did the part for the color map, which was ok (though i did it smaller I believe).

And I came up with BAD  :twisted: results with the height map. When importing the color map, everything is flat and nice and cool.
When importing the height map, well, there are more bloody mountains than there are on the height map, and these mountains are WAY to high. it's like 2 different heights on the same map  :roll:

According to the manual, first greyscale the map, then invert \ value invert it. That I did. there are now 2 layers on the map: flat ground, high ground, nothing is smooth.
So, how DO you guys do the height map part? would appreciate a hand here (if you may, you can just text write the steps \ settings for it. Don't really need an image if the method works).

Hope I helped you as well :smile:

In any case, my purpose if first to understand that process exacly, then i'll create a detailed manual with how to do what so there's no room for errors.

Can anyone please explain me what am i doing wrong with the height map? or, how do i suppose to do it right?

Hi.. I am new to this modding stuffs.. I currently started playing M&B Warband again as it never gets old because of new mods etc.. So, I decided to edit the NATIVE map a bit to my liking.. Not the terrains etc but I want to add 2 castles and a town in the original Native module map. I have been searching a lot and did my own tests and trials but to no avail..
Here's how far I went:
I used Thorgrim's map editor to add the town on the default map and select an icon for it but the game obviously gives the error as rest of the files associated to map.txt needs to be worked on too(parties.txt and scenes.txt) which unfortunately I am not able to.
I know here you are talking about just terrain but all I want is to add few castles and a town.. Could anyone help me how to do it?

So, I'm working on a 1700's mod, and the first thing I thought of was getting a Europe map. However, at the VERY END OF THIS GUIDE, I imported the maps I made of Central Europe, and it just appears all broken... not even looking like Europe at all.

Was it an error on my end? I didn't use ALL of Europe, mind you, just the region where Austria, Poland, Prussia, Russia, the Ottoman Empire, and the Crimean Khanate were in the 1700's.

Here's some shots.
9j1y6gb.png

qxtZ4lD.png

For some reason, the key gets stuck on move constantly in the editor, and there's no way to stop the camera from moving off the map and into void.

I only get a huge green plain when I import my map to thorgrims map editor.

This is how my bmp's came out:

http://postimg.org/image/b5kfsv26x/

http://postimg.org/image/e63enpfid/

http://postimg.org/image/a67x2dr6h/

I tried stretching the red and yellow boundries as well but no success.

When I import the dark image (Image nr. 1) nothing happens and when I import the green and blue one I get a huge grass plain.

EDIT: Neve mind it works just fine now.

Back
Top Bottom