Research Request - Cities

Users who are viewing this thread

I have some informations, easiest of which being the Roman centers. Though i'm in the dark as to where most others might be placed, and which names attributed for the period.

I'm putting the centers in place on the new map now, so if anyone has anything to submit, it would be most helpful. Lists of city names are fine, but if they could be paired with placement, this would be ideal.

I reckon I have enough info for city names for everything except barbarians.

If anyone has any info on city names for the area north of the northern Roman border at this period, it would be most helpful.

That means to suggest Franks, Alemanni, Quadi, Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Juthugni, Iazyges, Carpi area:

A260EU.GIF

I have settlement names from 268 B.C. which I will use if necessary, though if names have been changed since, I would rather that route.

Generally speaking the Germanics didn't have cities in the traditional sense, but I will see if I can find anything of interest for you.

Ostrogoth (Greuthungi) Territory:  Chersonnesos (essentially where Sevastopol is), Panticapaeum (On the eastern peninsula of Crimea, north side of it), and Tanais (on the north side of the Sea of Azov).  These were cities within the territory that the Ostrogoths eventually held in their kingdom.

Visigoth (Tervingi) Territory: Possibly Tyras and Olbia were Visigothic cities.  They predate the arrival of the Visigoths, but they fall in its territory.  These are on the mouthes of the Dneister and Dneiper respectively.

Interesting bit I just found, apparently according to the Hervarar Saga, Arheimar (said to be the capital of the Goths, though not certain if it just means the Visigoths) was located on the Dneiper.  Most likely this would be Olbia, but it isn't certain.

Alemanni/Juthungi:  For the most part seem located between Mainz and Augsburg at this time, but possessing neither (both were in Roman hands).  Thus far I have not found the name of any cities that they held in the period of this mod.  Juthungi were probably the descendants of the Semnones, a very prominent Suebic tribe from earlier times.  Most likely the held land east of the Alemanni, in present-day Bavaria.  Once again, no known settlements yet.

Quadi:  Are closely linked to the Marcomanni, but the lesser of the two.  Both have been severely reduced after the Marcomanni wars about 80 years prior to this mod.  I wouldn't recommend them being in the game really.  There are also no settlements named.  No idea why that map has them labeled so prominently (though honestly it looks questionable, as the Alemanni also never held such a large swath of land either, unless it includes the Juthungi.  Its over-simplified).

Vandals:  In the barbarian hinterlands.  No mentioned settlements yet.  Still looking.

Franks:  Less than a decade after this mod's setting, Utrecht was abandoned by the Romans.  It is possible (perhaps even likely) that the nearby Franks settled in it afterward.  Unfortunately sources on Utrecht in this period are few if any.  The only other city of note around their lands was firmly in Roman territory (Bonn), and remained so for some time.  It was a strong seat of their power in their area, apparently a nearby fort having an entire Legion.

@E

Do you visit the Historum.com forum? If so, ignore everything I'm about to type.

- Gallic Empire
Capitals:

Augusta Treverorum (Trier)
Colonia Agrippina (Cologne)

Prominent City:

Moguntiacum (Mainz) - Appears to have been the primary or only Mint in the Empire.

Source: Salah ad-Din (Historum User)

If you want me to post more of his fruits of labor, then say so. If not, then I'll keep it to myself :smile:

Those are behind the Limes though, at this point they are within the Roman Empire.  He is looking for the cities deeper within barbarian lands.  Also, I will continually update my previous post with info as I find it.

Skot the Sanguine said:
Generally speaking the Germanics didn't have cities in the traditional sense, but I will see if I can find anything of interest for you.

You mean to suggest camps, or some semi-nomadic lifestyle?

I would think by this period that wouldn't be the case, or at least in transition?

Skot the Sanguine said:
Interesting bit I just found, apparently according to the Hervarar Saga, Arheimar (said to be the capital of the Goths, though not certain if it just means the Visigoths) was located on the Dneiper.  Most likely this would be Olbia, but it isn't certain.

Yeah that's interesting. Perhaps a rename to it, though it don't think a city such as Olbia would have gone into dark knowledge to a point where traditional Roman accounts would not have recorded such a name change.

However as apparently Olbia was abandoned in the 4th century AD, it could perhaps have been a center build over the old Olbia site?

There some suggestion to the time frame of Arheimar?

If you want me to post more of his fruits of labor, then say so. If not, then I'll keep it to myself

Yeah it's as Skot suggests. I've got all information on all factions except "barbarians" north of Roman border at this period.

Though I didnt know about the site, so that's one i'll have to peruse later. And if you happen to find info on say Germanic "ciities" relevant to the era, go ahead and drop it here  :wink:

The Hervarar Saga is about the Goths resistance to the Hun invasions.  So for Arheimar, probably mid to late 4th century, roughly.

As for other Germanics, by in large they lived in small agricultural communities.  Hamlets were the norm and even settlements of only a couple houses.  Presumably each megatribe and possibly even subtribe had villages that acted as the seat of the chieftan's power, but typically these have either not been continuously populated until modern times or there is no recording of their names.  A lot of German cities, for example, had their foundation in the High Middle Ages from around 1000-1200.  Some, such as Cologne, Mainz, Augsburg, Trier, and Bonn, were Roman of course and their records have come to us to say that.

The Ostrogoths were particularly nomadic, supposedly adopting much of the local culture of the horse and riding, becoming somewhat of a Steppe people.  Does that mean they didn't have a permanent capital or a mobile one instead, I have never been able to figure that out.

Looks awesome. If you still need info on barbarians in this era, I can ask the guy working on the total war mod 'Invasio Barbarorum' for what you need. If so, just let me know what it is that you want to know and I'll forward your request to them.

And secondly, I don't mean to sound like the typical noobie, nor am I trying to annoy you, but in terms of an ETA, what's your guess? Do you see this being something that can be released in the space of several months (an early release) or will it span the better part of a year...or longer?

Just curious of what your assessment is, not holding you to it by any means. This just looks so awesome that I couldn't help it.

Aenima said:
Looks awesome. If you still need info on barbarians in this era, I can ask the guy working on the total war mod 'Invasio Barbarorum' for what you need. If so, just let me know what it is that you want to know and I'll forward your request to them.

I may have enough of what I need now.

For the mod hopefully within a couple months.

ealabor said:
Aenima said:

I may have enough of what I need now.

For the mod hopefully within a couple months.

Fair play. If you ever need some info on the time period, they'd be able to help, I'm sure.

And that's great to hear. Like I said I won't hold you to it, but I was hoping for something in that ballpark.

:shock: GODAMMN! So many cities, * sudden realization * What if... what if I am looking for a special object in shops eg. Roman equipment, is it tied down to Roman provinces or is it random? Should expect to find Scythes in Iberia? Should I expect to find Gaulish long swords in Syrria??

Federick421 said:
shouldn't the Gauls be under control by Roman by this time
You haven't even read the Important announcement on this mod.  :???:
Read CAREFULLY here:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161557.0.html  ,and here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161653.0.html
Roman Empire was split into 3 segments...Roman Empire,Gallic Empire and Palmyrene Empire.

This is now 268./269. AD alright...

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom