Users who are viewing this thread

Baguette Eater

Duke
Old Guard
Some turkish guys are being *****es about how this sword
suc108.jpg

being able to cut through plate armor

What do you guys think about that?

seems like a pretty vague question in regards to the circumstances. On the surface, I doubt it, but I am not an expert on plate armor.  :smile:

They mainly argue that due to the curve you can have enough power in that 1 handed sword to kill someone wearing plate (and not transitionnal, they were talking about 15-16 century up to 18-19)

Not bloody likely. You're not gonna cut steel with thinner steel. You'll need stabbing at weak points or simply bludgeoning to wound plated people. And that thing doesn't look like it can do much of either.

Thats pretty much what I though but they seem to defend theur weapon with a passion known only to weaboo's for the katana.

bobthehero said:

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

Also, no. Not unless that plate armour is made of soap. They're pretty pretty swords, but like most cutting swords, they're not particularly effective against armour.

bobthehero said:
Thats over hyped, not badass  :neutral:
Tell that to people who think the ENGLISH longbow (only the English one, though, mind you) can shoot French Man-At-Arms through their leg armour, through the leg, out on the other side, through the saddle and then into the horse far enough to kill it. :razz:

FrisianDude said:
bobthehero said:
Thats over hyped, not badass  :neutral:
Tell that to people who think the ENGLISH longbow (only the English one, though, mind you) can shoot French Man-At-Arms through their leg armour, through the leg, out on the other side, through the saddle and then into the horse far enough to kill it. :razz:

Sounds like M&B multiplayer  :cry:

FrisianDude said:
Pffft, you call that a longbow? A real English longbow should be able to pierce the French king's left leg armour, left leg, left side of saddle, horse, right side of saddle, right leg, right leg armour, and a squire. This was partly because the shape of a bodkin arrow transforms nearby armour into butter.

About the sword thing; while I certainly doubt it could pierce proper plate armour, I have heard that an inward curve helps against armour, the specific case being the Dacian falx. I don't know the physical reasoning behind this, but if it's true, I would be very interested in it.

You noob, that was obviously before King Arthur pulled the sword from the stone and then smacked someone's head in the shape of what would later become a bodkinhead. This was *before* bodkins were developed, duh.

bobthehero said:
Some turkish guys are being *****es about how this sword
suc108.jpg

What do you guys think about that?
You know what those guys are up to right?
trollface.gif

Blades loose impact against the hardened steel of plate armour, sometimes glancing away, while a blunt weapon can deliver a full blow, and trauma beyond the plate. Thus, a sword was still good against low armoured troops and peasant rabble, but not against heavy armoured knights. For those a good bec de corbin, and a misericorde with the right opportunity.

About the sword thing; while I certainly doubt it could pierce proper plate armour, I have heard that an inward curve helps against armour, the specific case being the Dacian falx. I don't know the physical reasoning behind this, but if it's true, I would be very interested in it.
[/quote]

IIRC, the inwardly curved blade makes your blows more hefty, allowing you to cleave a bit further. I suck at explaining but inwardly curved gives a bonus to damage (:razz:) and an outward curve like a scimitar means your blade cuts less deep, which means it won't get stuck quite as much which means you can hit more often. (higher attack speed!)

nah thats bull.

Very few blades can cut through plate (falcions mostly), the thinness of that blade weilded by an average man, would do bugger all to plate. Probly wouldnt even knock the dude of balance.

Heres a do it at home experiment you can try on armour piercing, get your steel frying pan, grasp your bread knife and stab your pan. That is the equivalnt to a thin blade and plate armour. Anything happen to the pan?

The strenght of plate is one of the reasons pole arms (warhammers, pole axes, glaives, halberds ect) became so used, they cut through plate by buckling the metal and blundening the poor chaps to death.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And on the longbow it  is over hyped but it is still deadly as **** (i am a archer, an can pull a 80lb longbow i know how powerfull it is, and thats not even a warbow, just sold my 60lb bow, to france of all places??) But it could kill and did kill even knyighits in plate didnt go striaght through them, thats teh era when chain was being replaced with plate when it was most leathal. Still couldnt go striaght through an armoured man though, unarmoured yes.

And even if it couldnt pierce right through you try having 3 arrows even piercing 2 inches into you, you wont be fighting and if it didnt pierce it could buckle and knock the guys over or off their horses. And 300o guys losing so many arrows a minute at you and your fellow knyinghits will result in huge casulites, but maybe not many instant deaths.

Back
Top Bottom