Evolution or Creation?

Of what faith are you?

• Creationism

Votes: 95 14.9%
  • A power of some sort (reincarnation/superstitions/fortune telling/etc.)

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • Agnosticism (evolution implied)

Votes: 130 20.4%
  • Atheism (evolution implied)

Votes: 239 37.5%
  • Agnostic or atheist and does NOT believe in evoltion

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Theistic evolution (a god guided evolution)

Votes: 90 14.1%
  • I'm really not sure at this point...

Votes: 40 6.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zomg!
signco5.jpg

It's a sign

Oh, by the way, I'm giving the link to this thread to my chemistry teacher tomorrow, as she's interested in taking part in the discussion. I'm sure she'll be quite happy to rebut every argument for the geological/chemical side to the argument that DaLagga puts forth. Tomorrow I'm going to work on my biology teacher, see if he'll come and do some owning. Unlike Kent Hovind, he really does have qualifications.

You guys hear about this?

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/09/20/human.ancestor.ap/index.html

3.3 million year old toddler, who has both human-like and ape-like features.

How does this fit in with creationism?

It is a fake. It has been made from patching monkey and other bones together,a dying attempt of evolutionists to hold on their faith.

What a painful thread, I sadly admit I read most of it!

It is interesting, all of it. I would love to believe in this stuff, everything would be so simple and easy to understand. But there are alot of other religions around the world. Some of these religions are very different than others. I find them all fascinating. Can we please have a nice topic on all of these?

Bhuddism
Deism
Islam
Zoarostrianism
Santeria
Taoism
Vodoo
Rastafarianism
Yoruba
Satanism
Veda
Scientology
Bon
Raelian
Judaism
Jainism
Baha'is
Animism
Hare Krishna
Candomble
Shinto
Tenrikyo
Universalism
Oglala-Sioux
Hopi
Kitchi Manitou
Makenaima

There are TONS more faiths around the world. I never will forget the Babylon 5 episode in the first season, where each ambassador was to have a ceremony expressing thier world's main religion. Each alien race had thier own ceremony for thier world's dominant religion (the centauri said they killed an entire race on thier planet who were presumably non-believers), but for Earth, and I love this, Sinclair put this endless line-up of people each being a representative of a completely religion. I think that is how our world is! The problem with this creationism is that is tries to put Christianity at the top of this religious 'food-chain'. Which is not fair to other faiths. There will always be fighting and blood spilled in the world as long as this keeps up.

I think the science we should start with before anything else, if we have to look at this scientifically, is sociology.

Yezidis,they follow a version of Zoroastranism and a mishmash of Islamic Satanism.

They worship a peacock angel "fallen from the heavens" (Satan in Abrahamic Rel.?) "Melek Taus" and also have Zoroastranist rites.

Thus they were persecuted in WW1 by some Ottoman divisions as "Satanists"

But they are prohibited from eating fish and lettuce. Thus I hate them too.

Goodknight said:
I never will forget the Babylon 5 episode in the first season, where each ambassador was to have a ceremony expressing thier world's main religion. Each alien race had thier own ceremony for thier world's dominant religion (the centauri said they killed an entire race on thier planet who were presumably non-believers), but for Earth, and I love this, Sinclair put this endless line-up of people each being a representative of a completely religion. I think that is how our world is!
I know this episode, and this is something I actually don't like. I'm a B-5 fan, but some episodes don't agree with me. That episode represents something that annoys me with the entire B-5 universe (and the Star Trek universe, for that matter). Centauries are like THIS. Narns are like THIS. Minbari are like THIS. Brakiri are like THIS. And so on, and so on. Each world only has ONE culture, ONE language, ONE religion. It just isn't reasonable. Why are we the only race with variety?

Oh, and the Galactic Gateway erroneously reports a goof in this episode:

"When Sinclair says "If you'll come this way," everyone about faced and walked away!"

This is not the case. They do follow Sinclair -- it's not even hard to see. Yeah, I know, I'm a nerd. :roll:

Kissaki said:
I know this episode, and this is something I actually don't like. I'm a B-5 fan, but some episodes don't agree with me. That episode represents something that annoys me with the entire B-5 universe (and the Star Trek universe, for that matter). Centauries are like THIS. Narns are like THIS. Minbari are like THIS. Brakiri are like THIS. And so on, and so on. Each world only has ONE culture, ONE language, ONE religion. It just isn't reasonable. Why are we the only race with variety?

Anthropocentrism. We are t3h best and all others are stereotypes. That's racism in itself.

Its no different than the US government holding the view that "Americans are like this" with In god we trust on currency, pledge of allegience, etc.
They didnt show the narn in that did they? or the Brakiri. We really dont know. They explained only the Minbari, Centauri and earth. Centrauri hinted that once there were people that didnt agree with the hardline of thier empire, and they were exterminated. Minbari have overcome thier differences and come toghether, a beautiful thing I think.

I thought that everything was pretty well done, considering that they were still being handed notes for writing from warner brothers at the time, seasons 2 and on they recieved very little if no notes, creative freedom!

Also, the way I look at star trek (and I think roddenberry said once) is that the aliens are really different windows into ourselves, different aspects of humanity. It made things alot less contriversial showing people as aliens as to actually say these are x people on earth. He was still able to make the points he wanted to about them. I have to look at star trek this way, or I would find it silly. B5 was a little different though.

Found it! This is from JMS himself:  (website source: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/guide/005.html im a nerd too  :grin: )

"Actually, many of the alien races do *not* have monolithic religious beliefs. You'll note that G'Kar didn't take part in the festival from the Narn POV. You'll see Narn beliefs in "By Any Means Necessary," and there it's mentioned that there are many different bliefs among Narns, G'Quon and G'Lan being the two larger systems."

Lep: I saw you mentioned that wonderful religion earlier, since it had exposure, I didnt say it even though I was thinking it, if the others were mentioned already too i missed them and I apologise.

I don't think many of them were mentioned here in detail. But I agree with you on Hinduism. It is, for me, the best religion on Earth. Tolerant of other religions ("all paths lead to Brahman as all rivers lead to the sea"), in theory without class distinctions (in practice I know they haven't ironed things out yet), virtual equality of the sexes is in place, which is more than you can say for many other religions (not the teachings themselves, but their applications), vibrant cultures (so many amazing festivals!), thousands of years of history, much more fun to study (the epics such as the mahabharata just make the religion), and just generally wonderful.

Rathyr said:
Sociology, psychology, damn right.

I wonder what the Christians would say when the reason humans look for a higher power is mapped out on a piece of paper.

I wonder what atheists would say when the reason humans look for the non exsistence of a super natural being is mapped out on a piece of paper.

Rathyr said:
Sociology, psychology, damn right.

I wonder what the Christians would say when the reason humans look for a higher power is mapped out on a piece of paper.

I dont like psychologist who think that way. Maybe its just me, but doing something like that says "I have a higher thinking level then all of mankind, thus I am able to know why it does such and such".

Tarrantmw said:
I wonder what atheists would say when the reason humans look for the non exsistence of a super natural being is mapped out on a piece of paper.

It isn't possible or logical to look for the non-existence of something. Bit of a problem with your phrasing there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom