Evolution or Creation?

Of what faith are you?

• Creationism

Votes: 95 14.9%
  • A power of some sort (reincarnation/superstitions/fortune telling/etc.)

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • Agnosticism (evolution implied)

Votes: 130 20.4%
  • Atheism (evolution implied)

Votes: 239 37.5%
  • Agnostic or atheist and does NOT believe in evoltion

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Theistic evolution (a god guided evolution)

Votes: 90 14.1%
  • I'm really not sure at this point...

Votes: 40 6.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are missing links between one and two, as no one can be bothed to count to infinity. Doesn't mean you can't get from one to two. Yes, I know this simily is flawed.

Llew2 said:
Yes, don't you know that they took a piece of slime and evolved it all the way into a living, breathing, organism in the span of one lifetime?  :roll:
That's abiogenesis, which no one claims to fully understand. (apart from creationists.)
Although living is probably not the right word, breathing certainly not and 'span of one lifetime'? I doubt it.
The first 'living' things were probably self replicating patterns of molecules, and it would have taken a hell of a long time to produce anything we might think of today as a living, breathing organism.
Llew2 said:
In other words, no, they haven't. They have shown that things adapt, (note that word) but so far, nothing has changed from one spices into another. And no, finding fossils that are 30 billion years apart does not consist of evidence. I mean, they even admit there are missing 'links' in it. I'd say it takes a lot of faith to believe in that. Naturally I commend the scientists for their devotion.
The term 'missing link' is a bit strange. Every single animal that has ever been alive is a missing link. Which might be why we're missing some.  :wink:
The point at which on species changes into another is a bit vague. Lions and Tigers can breed together but are different species.
Some species of butterfly are identical in appearance and anatomy yet cannot breed. Perhaps some species have diverged in human memory, but are you going to test all of them?
How are you going to judge what is and is not divergance?
The fact is, that the divergance is merely an accumulation of enough 'adaptions' to be judged significantly different to the creature they were before. In other words - 'Microevolution' is 'Macroevolution'. One is merely the extension of the other.

You might say that evolution requires some faith. You might even be right. But it only takes the same amount of faith as believing in gravity or thermodynamics.
For some reason nobody seems to be questioning those.

And 30 billion years? You need to check out your dates. The earth is only around 4.5 billion years old.  :lol:

Llew2 said:
In other words, no, they haven't. They have shown that things adapt, (note that word) but so far, nothing has changed from one spices into another.
The Labrador is technically a different species from the Chihuahua. There's roughly three thousand micro-organisms, bacteria and single celled organisms which have been studied and proven to move through species.

To answer your point, our local Indian has taken to using unbranded Curry Powder rather than the Blackwells stuff they used to have, so that's that shot out of the water :razz:
And no, finding fossils that are 30 billion years apart does not consist of evidence.
Um, yeah it does. Unless you also deny the 19th century happened, since all we have proving that is a bunch of left overs too.

Llew2 said:
Yoshiboy said:
Evolution has been proven, it requires no faith.
Yes, don't you know that they took a piece of slime and evolved it all the way into a living, breathing, organism in the span of one lifetime?  :roll:

What? You're saying that because evolution hasn't happened in my lifetime before my eyes I can't believe it. You're wrong in two senses here.

First of all there are examples of evolution which I've been witness to, most notable the hundreds of virus and micro-organisms that evolve constantly. Remember Bird flu? The worry there was that the virus would evolve so that it might affect humans. You're lucky most doctors do believe in evolution, or we might not have been aware of that danger and we might have all died :smile:

Secondly, you believe in a document written well before your time. Nothing in this book has happened within your life time yet you still believe it.

First of all there are examples of evolution which I've been witness to, most notable the hundreds of virus and micro-organisms that evolve constantly. Remember Bird flu? The worry there was that the virus would evolve so that it might affect humans. You're lucky most doctors do believe in evolution, or we might not have been aware of that danger and we might have all died
I believe that's called mutation. The flu is simply adapting so that it can stay alive - and that new climate just happens to be humans. A flu virus won't turn into a human, or even a mouse. Or even a flea, for that matter. It will always be a virus.
What? You're saying that because evolution hasn't happened in my lifetime before my eyes I can't believe it. You're wrong in two senses here.
No, I'm saying that because I can't watch it happen in front of my eyes, I won't believe it. I have faith, but not that much.
Um, yeah it does. Unless you also deny the 19th century happened, since all we have proving that is a bunch of left overs too.
I reserve the right to deny it if I please.  :razz:

Alright, there is a reason for my believing that thinking, intelligent, emotion-feeling, memory possessing, learning humans did not just evolved out of a slime ball. That reason is simply that, as Lewis pointed out, we humans are creatures of both spirit and flesh. That is what separates us from animals.

If you think about for a little, you will remember that you never see the ghosts of animals, only people.

...Of course, if you don't believe in ghosts, then you can just ignore all that and call everyone who posted a ghost story a lier.

Redcoat - Mic said:
In seriousnses, I'd like to see what you have to say about:

Yoshiboy said:
Secondly, you believe in a document written well before your time. Nothing in this book has happened within your life time yet you still believe it.
Evolution is not a document. Evolution is a theory. That document you are referring to was made by a human; we have proof of that. And because it was made by a human, and it says something (i.e., it is not a theory), so I can believe it. I also reserve the right to be taken in by humans as I please.  :razz:

Llew2 said:
I believe that's called mutation.
No, it's called adaption and is the key core of evolution.
A flu virus won't turn into a human, or even a mouse. Or even a flea, for that matter. It will always be a virus.
Quite incorrect on two counts.

Firstly, all organisms operate on DNA. DNA at a basic level is not fundamentally different between life forms, it does the same thing. At this basic level, all you need do to turn (for example) a mouse into a man is to alter the genetic sequence encoded on the DNA to that of the desired lifeform (to give an analogy, DNA is kind of like Windows, with the genetic sequence altering what application (species) you're running).
Secondly, Influenza is a virus, hence it's technically a wandering piece of DNA. It's already human, else it couldn't infect us :razz:
as Lewis pointed out, we humans are creatures of both spirit and flesh.
Flesh yes. Spirit hasn't been proven yet :razz:
If you think about for a little, you will remember that you never see the ghosts of animals, only people.
Nonsense. Go look up Black Shuck, Barguest,  Gwyllgi, two tailed white foxes, Geff the Mongoose and the Black Pig of Dublin.
...Of course, if you don't believe in ghosts, then you can just ignore all that and call everyone who posted a ghost story a lier.
Being as how that would be indicative of the supernatural, and as I've already stated we've yet to see any substantiated evidence for this :lol: What part of Nihilist didn't you get?

Llew, speciation is the branching of one species into two or more and even many creationists accept it today. You are arguing creationism circa 1975 which for some reason is still floating around the internet.

Here is the creationist site AIG actually promoting the idea of new species being created.
http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/aroundtheworld/2006/07/21/speciation-it-can-occur-quickly/

Here "no new species" is listed as an argument that a creationist shouldnt use:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/dont_use.asp

At some point many creationists decided they couldnt fight the idea of speciation so they jumped on the bandwagon. It's now proper for a creationist to argue that speciation is actually *required* by noah's ark as all extant species could not possibly have ridden on the ark.  With every new case of speciation they trumpet it as evidence of the kind of hyper-rapid speciation they require if a few thousand biblical "kinds" on Noah's Ark were to result in the millions of species we see today in just 2-3 thousand years. Depending on the flood date.

Creationists will say instead that though new species are generated continuously they are not increasing their genetic information but are rather "devolving" from a more perfect form.  This bleeds into the Intelligent Design movement which has pushed the idea of biological information and their contention is that it cannot increase, only decrease... But they can't convince anyone else of this as of yet as they havent managed to get a scientific theory together.

It's a just a semantics shell game to avoid the evidence but the important point here is that creationists do accept the creation of new species.

Arch, he's slightly correct with mutation. Mutation creates variation - which leads to the better 'mutated' genus winning out, therefore the creature hasn't actually adapted in the way we use the word. Just lucky.

And for changing species, please do remember species is a loose term created by Carl Linnaeus grouping life with similar features together. It's not a full stop. If I had gills, would I be a fish?.

No, it's called adaption and is the key core of evolution.
Then mutation is...?
Flesh yes. Spirit hasn't been proven yet
Wait, I though it was Arch that just told me to go look up some ghosts.  :lol:
Nonsense. Go look up Black Shuck, Barguest,  Gwyllgi, two tailed white foxes, Geff the Mongoose and the Black Pig of Dublin.
Demons, probably.
At this basic level, all you need do to turn (for example) a mouse into a man is to alter the genetic sequence encoded on the DNA to that of the desired lifeform
I've yet to see it happen. Actually...it will be very interesting to see what happens.
It's a just a semantics shell game to avoid the evidence but the important point here is that creationists do accept the creation of new species.
To tell the truth I don't really go against the idea of new species being created, I just do not believe that Man is one of them. Evolution could very well be, and probably is the way God keeps animals on this earth, but all that business about the (specific) creation of man in the garden doesn't point towards the evolution of man himself. It is at that point in time that God starts talking to humans (specifically; he doesn't talk to animals), and humans become responsible for their actions.

EDIT: Thanks for the linkys AW, very good site.

Buxton said:
Arch, he's slightly correct with mutation. Mutation creates variation - which leads to the better 'mutated' genus winning out, therefore the creature hasn't actually adapted in the way we use the word. Just lucky.
Um, yes it has :lol: Evolution isn't sentient, it can't 'decide' to give a species gills, it can't 'decide' anything. A species will develop gills because ancestor X had proto-gills and managed to get laid a hell of a lot more than ancestors Y and Z. Adaption occurs as a side effect, since usually the reason an organism is a more successful breeder is because it can better utilise it's environment.
Adaptation doesn't usually necessitate or imply a conscious change, if that's where the confusion was.
And for changing species, please do remember species is a loose term created by Carl Linnaeus grouping life with similar features together.
I was just going to say. Famous zoologist truism - the defining feature of a genus is usually whichever naturalist tripped over the organism.

Then mutation is...?
Interchangeable. We usually use Adaptation to signify those mutations which didn't end up with a depressed sex life or cancer.

[/quote]

At this basic level, all you need do to turn (for example) a mouse into a man is to alter the genetic sequence encoded on the DNA to that of the desired lifeform
I've yet to see it happen. Actually...it will be very interesting to see what happens.

It will produce a man, simple as that. All DNA does is tell how many cells, what type cells, and which cells should divide and form together. It's really not as complicated as you think.

It will produce a man, simple as that. All DNA does is tell how many cells, what type cells, and which cells should divide and form together. It's really not as complicated as you think.
I meant the spirit side.

Well, I don't know how to explain how to put your 'spirit' in my Man-Rat if I don't know what it is. If you mean the ability to think, well, that's just synapses firing in the brain.

Yoshiboy said:
Faith is defined by a belief in something that cannot be proved. The study of science uses logic, evidence and a naturalistic, scientific approach. On these basis, things can actually be "proven" within reason. Evolution has been proven, it requires no faith.

But there is no good solid foundation, and if there was everyone would believe it, same as creation

scientists have not seen any evidence as far as literally an organism changing (i guess i could have used the word adapting instead) to its environment. so with this sense, evolution cannot be proved

But it the same as creation non-the-less...
No one was there the day God created everything

Atilladahun said:
But there is no good solid foundation, and if there was everyone would believe it, same as creation
How many people do you know get a thorough education on the fundamentals of evolution? Quantum physics has a good solid foundation, but I bet you'd travel a long way to find a non-scientist who could tell you the slightest thing about it.
scientists have not seen any evidence as far as literally an organism changing (i guess i could have used the word adapting instead) to its environment. so with this sense, evolution cannot be proved
Well, a single organism wouldn't change while alive, that would get messy. Evolution occurs over generations, and we've got plenty of observational evidence for it. A large part of the medical field kind of relies on it for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom